Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › ATH-M50 vs DT-770
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ATH-M50 vs DT-770 - Page 4

post #46 of 55
Thread Starter 

It might just be me, but I had the chance to take home an M50 for a couple days, and I felt like I could hear tracks that weren't present when listening my DT770s. Could it just be that the DT770s haven't been broken in enough yet?

post #47 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBassFox View Post

It might just be me, but I had the chance to take home an M50 for a couple days, and I felt like I could hear tracks that weren't present when listening my DT770s. Could it just be that the DT770s haven't been broken in enough yet?



M50's are known for a relative lack of mids, which in turn emphasizes treble detail, which is probably why you can hear more microdetails.

 

However really high-end headphones can both be rich (good mids) and have even more details, but your wallet will have to suffer another time for that.

post #48 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

M50's are known for a relative lack of mids, which in turn emphasizes treble detail, which is probably why you can hear more microdetails.

 

However really high-end headphones can both be rich (good mids) and have even more details, but your wallet will have to suffer another time for that.



I think I mentioned this before, but it seems there are two kinds of M50s floating around on the market. One with recessed mid and more prominent bass, and the other with a more prominent mid, less bass, and more extending high frequency.

 

I suspect that if the OP can hear more micro details, then he landed himself an M50 with the latter signature. However, according to some members, the M50 with more recessed mid seems to be more the norm, so you are not completely off-base.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBassFox View Post

It might just be me, but I had the chance to take home an M50 for a couple days, and I felt like I could hear tracks that weren't present when listening my DT770s. Could it just be that the DT770s haven't been broken in enough yet?


I think you landed yourself a pair of M50 that's just like mine. I compared mine head-to-head to DT770 at Guitar Center many times, and it always comes out as being more detailed. The DT770 has more bass quantity in all cases.


Edited by Bill-P - 3/19/12 at 6:59pm
post #49 of 55
Thread Starter 

I'm not going to lie. I wish I could've kept those M50s. The sound was absolutely phenomenal, even better than the DT770s I bought. The DT770s are just too damn comfortable though. Maybe if I get some spare cash, I'll try to seek another pair.

post #50 of 55

I thought the m50's sounded pretty decent but just not as good the Beyers. Not nearly as good. Plus the Beyer throws in the comfort factor. Comfort is quickly claiming up the ladder of importance for me. Maybe it's because I'm getting older and less tolerant of that sort of thing...

post #51 of 55
Thread Starter 

I should probably note that it was the M50S, not the regular M50. I just noticed the other topic comparing the two.

post #52 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post
 

I thought the m50's sounded pretty decent but just not as good the Beyers. Not nearly as good. Plus the Beyer throws in the comfort factor. Comfort is quickly claiming up the ladder of importance for me. Maybe it's because I'm getting older and less tolerant of that sort of thing...

Hi guys, sorry to bother but i have a few questions regarding the 32 and 80ohm dt770....

 

Right now i have a pair of hd25's and a pair of amperiors and i am thinking of selling one of those too finance a pair of dt770's for home use...

I have no amps and was not planning on buying any since i mostly use my headphones on portable players... i listen mostly to indie, pop, rock and edm....

I already had the ath m50's.... liked the bass, did not like the recessed mids, weird plasticky treble and the lack of soundstage.....

 

How does the 80 ohm and specially the 32 ohm version of the dt770 compares to something like the hd25 or ath m50....?

Hows the bass on the 32 and 80ohm version? I read that the bass on the 32ohm is a bit loose..... how loose? wich has better and tighter bass, the dt770 or the ath m50? Since i listen to edm i dont want  very loose bass.... my limit for bass looseness would be something like the bass on the aurvana live!....

 

Do you guys think the dt770's 32 or 80 om would suit me well?

post #53 of 55
Ditto to the above poster, with regards to the 32 Ohm Beyers vs an M50x.
post #54 of 55
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoon838 View Post

Ditto to the above poster, with regards to the 32 Ohm Beyers vs an M50x.

No one wants to help us typhoon.... :'(
post #55 of 55
How does the 80ohm dt770 compares with the m50 (regular and x) in terms of sound signature?

I desperately need a over ear headphones... Only have a amperior and a hd25 right now.... May sell one of these 2 to get either the 80 dt770 or the m50x....

Only tried the m50 and it was a year ago.... Thought it was too bulky, not confortable and lacking a bit of mids and with plasticky highs (i prefered the sound of the hd25... I would only had them the bass of the m50 and the stage.... Any headphone as better soundstagr than a hd25 of course... :-D )

Does the m50x improves on the flaws i mentioned for the previous m50?

Hope you guys can help...

Cheers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › ATH-M50 vs DT-770