Fantastic read, enjoyed myself thoroughly and was very impressed by the detail you went into. Thanks to snai for the thread resurrection~ :)
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- ~200€ cans for home use? Last post on 8/28/13 at 4:06am in Headphones (full-size)
- Open/Semi Open Cans: HD598/600 vs DT880OHM vs Fidelio L1 vs MDR MA900 vs Other Last post on 4/5/13 at 4:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Can't decided between the Fidelio X1, HD598, or HD600 Last post on 9/11/14 at 12:41pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- How long does it take for you to realize you don't like a headphone's sound signature? Last post on 8/15/14 at 8:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Recs on full-size, open headphones that do not require amp? Last post on 5/13/14 at 9:08am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 8/29/14
Excelllent headphones, coming after ss 9h headset, senn's 429 558 598 and i love these most, i differentiate details better in vocals now, i can say if vocalist is blowing into microphone while...
published on September 22, 2014 (click any photo in this review for a larger version) Intro I first heard about Garage1217's Project Polaris (just "Polaris" from here on out, for the...
Please disregard the sliders on the left hand side, as they are broken. Prefatory Notes: I purchased this product and am therefore not immune to the negative effects of buyer’s remorse...
I bought my RP3 for my headphone set up to enter in the world of vinyl and what a buy! Overall the rega is a very sensitive Turntable however, it awes me everytime I plug it in a play.
I have owned the WA2 for about a year now. I typically listen to Alternative Rock, occasional Rap and some Blues. I am using a Arcam rDac with it and I also have a Rega RP-3 and a Project Phono...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Mid-fi Shootout - HD600 - HD598 - Focal Spirit One - Philips Fidelio L1 - Page 5
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Sometime i'd like to see a review of the HD-580 vs the HD-600. 99% of everyone really does believe they're identical in sound.
The HD-580 has less bass, slightly more treble and maybe forward mids. The difference isn't huge. HD-580 sounds much clearer to me.
It made my day yesterday when someone else posted they also liked it more than the HD-600. Sachu I believe.
If you mod your HD-600, it would beat all the others maybe. Since modding my HD-600, my HD-598 has been collecting dust. Now it's almost like an HD-598 on steroids.
The 598 now just has less bass and a larger soundstage. Maybe a tad more treble.
I keep the HD-598 because it's stupid easy to drive and I can even use it straight out of my Clip+
As for my favorites, i'd rank them as:
BTW a modded HD-600 sounds much closer to the HD-598. It does remove some of it's warmth, but not too much. So crystal clear when modded.
I do need to try the HD-650 again. I read some silly posts somewhere that claim it has less forward upper bass than the HD-600. To me that'd be a huge plus.
Good review, helped me clarify my thoughts on my upgrade purchase. My HD 595s are getting old after 10 years and im looking to upgrade without spending too much money and 598 seems like a good safe bet since the only thing i didn't like about the 595s is the bass
The HD598 has a greater bass presence, and overall a fuller presentation of the sound frequency though the HD595 was quite well balanced as well. Superior timbre and soundstage (imaging). Probably the biggest differences will be the treble (brighter presentation, but not fatiguing) and the midrange (more forward, more textured, centered, etc.)
Nice review! I like the format and your style. You spent an almost equal amount of time setting up the review with your background and preferences, which to me are as important if not more important than the review itself.
This sort of surprises me too. It's rare to see this- I've only seen it once. Human auditory memory is quite bad, especially when comparing things that to most people are essentially the same. I sometimes take notes on my iPad which I can also use as a source for portables and familiar material.
I feel you dude, I always have a pen and paper when I audition audio gear. I usually take pictures to... I went into best buy for my first AUDITION of cans and well... I'm glad I took notes. Many of the mid and low fi cans I was curious about... got sufficent listening experince...
still I liked ur review, and the Phillips L1 might be a purchase of mine soon :D
- Mid-fi Shootout - HD600 - HD598 - Focal Spirit One - Philips Fidelio L1
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 3 seconds ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 17 seconds ago
- › Jakarta USF (Ultimate Sound Fair) 26-27 Sept 2014 3 minutes ago
- › Headphone Sightings 2 4 minutes ago
- › Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5 4 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 4 minutes ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.5.0 5 minutes ago
- › Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable 5 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 6 minutes ago
- › REVIEW: Vivo Xplay 3S + XE800 Mobile audio perfection 6 minutes ago
- › AKG K 550 by Ufasas
- › Garage1217 Project Polaris by Asr
- › Bose QuietComfort 20i Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones by dbdchc
- › Rega RP3 by Nhubley
- › Woo Audio 2 by Nhubley
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by razor5cl
- › Aune M1 Hi-Fi Wav Player by wtnwin111
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Armaegis
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by Brooko
- › Audio-gd NFB29 by kvtaco17
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)