Fantastic read, enjoyed myself thoroughly and was very impressed by the detail you went into. Thanks to snai for the thread resurrection~ :)
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- ~200€ cans for home use? Last post on 8/28/13 at 4:06am in Headphones (full-size)
- Open/Semi Open Cans: HD598/600 vs DT880OHM vs Fidelio L1 vs MDR MA900 vs Other Last post on 4/5/13 at 4:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD598 Amazon Black Friday deal $99.99! Last post on 11/29/14 at 3:38am in Headphones (full-size)
- How do you define which headphones are most "genre specific"? Last post on 10/8/14 at 11:06pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Can't decided between the Fidelio X1, HD598, or HD600 Last post on 9/11/14 at 12:41pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Is being a Jack of all trades and Master of none really a bad thing? Firstly thank you to RHA and Lin0003 for organizing the tour of the T10i as this was one IEM I was...
Purchased this system off of Ebay. Overall very good sound, impressive sound output with powerful bass response, at its price point ($250} I think it is the system to beat, the satellites sound...
I got these from Amazon. Truth be told, I was a bit skeptical due to lack of reviews at the time (positive or negative). But I was ordering my Crossfade LPs [they good or bad, is an entirely...
These have been a real dream to listen to. They have a really good range of sound not artificial sounding at all. They have have as a matter fact excellent tremble. They don't pull the mids to...
Ok! Point number 1: horrible button layout! Point number 2: excellent sound quality! The stock theme is badly designed. EDIT: There are custom themes that make the player look much...
Mid-fi Shootout - HD600 - HD598 - Focal Spirit One - Philips Fidelio L1 - Page 5
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Sometime i'd like to see a review of the HD-580 vs the HD-600. 99% of everyone really does believe they're identical in sound.
The HD-580 has less bass, slightly more treble and maybe forward mids. The difference isn't huge. HD-580 sounds much clearer to me.
It made my day yesterday when someone else posted they also liked it more than the HD-600. Sachu I believe.
If you mod your HD-600, it would beat all the others maybe. Since modding my HD-600, my HD-598 has been collecting dust. Now it's almost like an HD-598 on steroids.
The 598 now just has less bass and a larger soundstage. Maybe a tad more treble.
I keep the HD-598 because it's stupid easy to drive and I can even use it straight out of my Clip+
As for my favorites, i'd rank them as:
BTW a modded HD-600 sounds much closer to the HD-598. It does remove some of it's warmth, but not too much. So crystal clear when modded.
I do need to try the HD-650 again. I read some silly posts somewhere that claim it has less forward upper bass than the HD-600. To me that'd be a huge plus.
Good review, helped me clarify my thoughts on my upgrade purchase. My HD 595s are getting old after 10 years and im looking to upgrade without spending too much money and 598 seems like a good safe bet since the only thing i didn't like about the 595s is the bass
The HD598 has a greater bass presence, and overall a fuller presentation of the sound frequency though the HD595 was quite well balanced as well. Superior timbre and soundstage (imaging). Probably the biggest differences will be the treble (brighter presentation, but not fatiguing) and the midrange (more forward, more textured, centered, etc.)
Nice review! I like the format and your style. You spent an almost equal amount of time setting up the review with your background and preferences, which to me are as important if not more important than the review itself.
This sort of surprises me too. It's rare to see this- I've only seen it once. Human auditory memory is quite bad, especially when comparing things that to most people are essentially the same. I sometimes take notes on my iPad which I can also use as a source for portables and familiar material.
I feel you dude, I always have a pen and paper when I audition audio gear. I usually take pictures to... I went into best buy for my first AUDITION of cans and well... I'm glad I took notes. Many of the mid and low fi cans I was curious about... got sufficent listening experince...
still I liked ur review, and the Phillips L1 might be a purchase of mine soon :D
- Mid-fi Shootout - HD600 - HD598 - Focal Spirit One - Philips Fidelio L1
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › New from Garage1217, the solid-state Project Polaris! 5 seconds ago
- › Which in-ear's for best bass and volume, help me decide please! 8 seconds ago
- › Help finding bassy $80 IEMs? 38 seconds ago
- › FiiO E18 Review 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › MCINTOSH LABS INTRODUCES NEW HEADPHONE AMP MODEL MHA 100 2 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 3 minutes ago
- › You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2! 3 minutes ago
- › Fiio E17k Alpen 2 Announced (23/12/2014) 5 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre, 1st page: Downloads, info & instructions-... 5 minutes ago
- › RHA T10i by gikigill
- › Corsair Gaming Audio Series SP2500 High-Power 2.1 PC Speaker System... by Croozer
- › V-MODA Bass Freq Metal In-Ear Noise-Isolating Headphone (Gunmetal... by atkhan
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 by Ragingfighter
- › FiiO X3 Portable Music Player by hstubc
- › Inspire by Dennis Had IHA-1 Dragon Version by BlakeT
- › MP4Nation Brainwavz M1 by JoeDoe
- › Koss RUK 30K Noise Isolating In-Ear Stereophone, Black by ajlan
- › Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1 HiFi by Ataka
- › Creative Fatal1ty Gaming Headset by TsukiNick
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)