Fantastic read, enjoyed myself thoroughly and was very impressed by the detail you went into. Thanks to snai for the thread resurrection~ :)
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- ~200€ cans for home use? Last post on 8/28/13 at 4:06am in Headphones (full-size)
- Open/Semi Open Cans: HD598/600 vs DT880OHM vs Fidelio L1 vs MDR MA900 vs Other Last post on 4/5/13 at 4:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best open cans for $225 US Last post on 2/9/15 at 6:12pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- AKG K612 - better than Sennheiser HD598? Last post on 1/26/15 at 12:57pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The headphones for movies thread Last post on 2/24/15 at 10:55am in Headphones (full-size)
Sound Signature. If I were to describe this cans, the V shape would be fitting, but it is just a moderate V shape, nothing overly pronounced but not flat by any means. Bass. This is where the...
After spending some time auditioning and researching I've finally found that illusive nirvana, the perfect mix of price, design and sound for me. I wanted a DAC minus the frills. As a HD800...
I have felt compelled to attempt my first review after recently building Bottleheads premium diy headphone amplifier offering the Bottlehead Mainline. I have built a few of their kits now and...
First of all I would like to thank FiiO for choosing me as part of the world tour of the new X3 DAP. I am pretty new in reviewing audio devices, and I feel really grateful for including...
Me: I am a 21 year old student living in a small town in India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the time...
Mid-fi Shootout - HD600 - HD598 - Focal Spirit One - Philips Fidelio L1 - Page 5
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Sometime i'd like to see a review of the HD-580 vs the HD-600. 99% of everyone really does believe they're identical in sound.
The HD-580 has less bass, slightly more treble and maybe forward mids. The difference isn't huge. HD-580 sounds much clearer to me.
It made my day yesterday when someone else posted they also liked it more than the HD-600. Sachu I believe.
If you mod your HD-600, it would beat all the others maybe. Since modding my HD-600, my HD-598 has been collecting dust. Now it's almost like an HD-598 on steroids.
The 598 now just has less bass and a larger soundstage. Maybe a tad more treble.
I keep the HD-598 because it's stupid easy to drive and I can even use it straight out of my Clip+
As for my favorites, i'd rank them as:
BTW a modded HD-600 sounds much closer to the HD-598. It does remove some of it's warmth, but not too much. So crystal clear when modded.
I do need to try the HD-650 again. I read some silly posts somewhere that claim it has less forward upper bass than the HD-600. To me that'd be a huge plus.
Good review, helped me clarify my thoughts on my upgrade purchase. My HD 595s are getting old after 10 years and im looking to upgrade without spending too much money and 598 seems like a good safe bet since the only thing i didn't like about the 595s is the bass
The HD598 has a greater bass presence, and overall a fuller presentation of the sound frequency though the HD595 was quite well balanced as well. Superior timbre and soundstage (imaging). Probably the biggest differences will be the treble (brighter presentation, but not fatiguing) and the midrange (more forward, more textured, centered, etc.)
Nice review! I like the format and your style. You spent an almost equal amount of time setting up the review with your background and preferences, which to me are as important if not more important than the review itself.
This sort of surprises me too. It's rare to see this- I've only seen it once. Human auditory memory is quite bad, especially when comparing things that to most people are essentially the same. I sometimes take notes on my iPad which I can also use as a source for portables and familiar material.
I feel you dude, I always have a pen and paper when I audition audio gear. I usually take pictures to... I went into best buy for my first AUDITION of cans and well... I'm glad I took notes. Many of the mid and low fi cans I was curious about... got sufficent listening experince...
still I liked ur review, and the Phillips L1 might be a purchase of mine soon :D
- Mid-fi Shootout - HD600 - HD598 - Focal Spirit One - Philips Fidelio L1
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide 38 seconds ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 1 minute ago
- › k1000 owners club 2 minutes ago
- › Luxury & Precision L5 32bit DSD Portable Lossless Music Player with... 2 minutes ago
- › Rank the Headphones that You Own. 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › FS: Schiit Gungnir USB Gen 2 3 minutes ago
- › How and why do members fall in love with second tier headphones? 5 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 5 minutes ago
- › Alclair RSM Quad Custom In-Ear Monitor Impressions Thread [ These... 6 minutes ago
- › Creative Aurvana Live! Headphones by MCouary
- › Arcam irDAC Audiophile Grade Digital to Analog Converter by cub3
- › Bottlehead Mainline by JamieMcC
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by viperxp
- › MEElectronics Air-Fi® Matrix2 AF62 Stereo Bluetooth®... by YoYo JoKeR
- › Graham Slee Solo Ultra Linear Headphone Amplifier by mark2410
- › Topping VX1 2x25W Hi-Fi Power Stereo Subwoofer Amplifier... by YoYo JoKeR
- › Aurisonics ASG-2.5 Generic Fit Digital-Hybrid In-Ear Monitors in... by Hawaiibadboy
- › Graham Slee Majestic DAC by mark2410
- › MEElectronics HT-21 Travel Lightweight Headphone with Swivel Cups,... by YoYo JoKeR
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2