Fantastic read, enjoyed myself thoroughly and was very impressed by the detail you went into. Thanks to snai for the thread resurrection~ :)
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- ~200€ cans for home use? Last post on 8/28/13 at 4:06am in Headphones (full-size)
- Open/Semi Open Cans: HD598/600 vs DT880OHM vs Fidelio L1 vs MDR MA900 vs Other Last post on 4/5/13 at 4:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best open cans for $225 US Last post on 2/9/15 at 6:12pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- AKG K612 - better than Sennheiser HD598? Last post on 1/26/15 at 12:57pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The headphones for movies thread Last post on 2/24/15 at 10:55am in Headphones (full-size)
About me: I am not an audiology, sound expert or anything professional about audio of short. I am simply just a consumer with a lot of love for musics for years....I purchased this pair, and Would...
Before the Lyr 2 I owned two hybrid headphone amplifiers: the Hifiman EF2A, and the Maverick Audio A1. What both those entry level amplifiers lacked was the power and sonic dynamics to drive my...
I've spent about a month with Cayin N6 DAP, and I'd like to share my thoughts about it. There is few really great reviews of this DAP, so I won't repeat them again, describing it's box,...
I bought this in october. I agree with other reviewers, the sound is definitely value for money you can read other reviews for that. However, the build quality is terrible. I took good...
"Low cost champion", "Best in it's own way"... i love the way how things work in this earphone business :) however, please do not worry, vaziyetu here to correct things (again). first of all,...
Mid-fi Shootout - HD600 - HD598 - Focal Spirit One - Philips Fidelio L1 - Page 5
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Sometime i'd like to see a review of the HD-580 vs the HD-600. 99% of everyone really does believe they're identical in sound.
The HD-580 has less bass, slightly more treble and maybe forward mids. The difference isn't huge. HD-580 sounds much clearer to me.
It made my day yesterday when someone else posted they also liked it more than the HD-600. Sachu I believe.
If you mod your HD-600, it would beat all the others maybe. Since modding my HD-600, my HD-598 has been collecting dust. Now it's almost like an HD-598 on steroids.
The 598 now just has less bass and a larger soundstage. Maybe a tad more treble.
I keep the HD-598 because it's stupid easy to drive and I can even use it straight out of my Clip+
As for my favorites, i'd rank them as:
BTW a modded HD-600 sounds much closer to the HD-598. It does remove some of it's warmth, but not too much. So crystal clear when modded.
I do need to try the HD-650 again. I read some silly posts somewhere that claim it has less forward upper bass than the HD-600. To me that'd be a huge plus.
Good review, helped me clarify my thoughts on my upgrade purchase. My HD 595s are getting old after 10 years and im looking to upgrade without spending too much money and 598 seems like a good safe bet since the only thing i didn't like about the 595s is the bass
The HD598 has a greater bass presence, and overall a fuller presentation of the sound frequency though the HD595 was quite well balanced as well. Superior timbre and soundstage (imaging). Probably the biggest differences will be the treble (brighter presentation, but not fatiguing) and the midrange (more forward, more textured, centered, etc.)
Nice review! I like the format and your style. You spent an almost equal amount of time setting up the review with your background and preferences, which to me are as important if not more important than the review itself.
This sort of surprises me too. It's rare to see this- I've only seen it once. Human auditory memory is quite bad, especially when comparing things that to most people are essentially the same. I sometimes take notes on my iPad which I can also use as a source for portables and familiar material.
I feel you dude, I always have a pen and paper when I audition audio gear. I usually take pictures to... I went into best buy for my first AUDITION of cans and well... I'm glad I took notes. Many of the mid and low fi cans I was curious about... got sufficent listening experince...
still I liked ur review, and the Phillips L1 might be a purchase of mine soon :D
- Mid-fi Shootout - HD600 - HD598 - Focal Spirit One - Philips Fidelio L1
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › DIY your own Theme for your lovely X3 1 minute ago
- › Shure SRH1540 Review 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › Looking for a good DAC/Amp to replace my crummy sounding on-board... 1 minute ago
- › Amp for a noob that likes to only buy once...? 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton? 2 minutes ago
- › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread 2 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 2 minutes ago
- › Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › JVC KENWOOD In-Ear Headphones HA-FX750 by Whitigir
- › Schiit Lyr 2 by bpandbass
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by cleg
- › OSTRY KC06A Hi-Fi In-Ear High Performance Earphones Headphones by xsuper
- › Brainwavz Delta by vaziyetu
- › JVC Kenwood Victer Stereo Headphones Ha-sz1000 by Hawaiibadboy
- › MEElectronics M9 Classic Hi-Fi Noise-Isolating In-Ear Headphones by pformagg
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H8 by Giogio
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-WS99BT Solid Bass Bluetooth Headphones by Giogio
- › Pangea Audio - USB cable - PCOCC & 4% silver - 1.5 Meter by davide256
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2