Fantastic read, enjoyed myself thoroughly and was very impressed by the detail you went into. Thanks to snai for the thread resurrection~ :)
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- ~200€ cans for home use? Last post on 8/28/13 at 4:06am in Headphones (full-size)
- Open/Semi Open Cans: HD598/600 vs DT880OHM vs Fidelio L1 vs MDR MA900 vs Other Last post on 4/5/13 at 4:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HD 598 vs HD 600 (which has more detail) Last post on 2/22/14 at 2:57pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- advice please Last post on 11/2/13 at 8:48pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD598 vs HD600 vs HD650 Last post on 10/21/13 at 11:25pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
UnboxingUpon unboxing, I knew what the Sony MDR-1R MK2's were intended for; luxury. It came with a box very similar to the Sennheiser HD800's packaging, very pleasing to open and everything felt of...
I have passed on buying these because i generally do not play follow the leader well,so I was bidding on a set of Sennheiser HD 598s and was outbid at the last minute but wanted something new so...
Summary I've had these for about a week now, and I have to say I like them more each day. At first I was rather worried about purchasing them, because other reviews were saying that the bass...
I want to thanks Vincent from IFI who has sent me the sample for the review. In the past, on my site www.stereo-head.it and on head fi, I’ve already reviewed some IFI’s electronics and i...
Disclosure: I received these headphones from Sony Australia as a review sample to keep. Here is my video review of the 10R, as well as some brief notes about the sound and build of the...
Mid-fi Shootout - HD600 - HD598 - Focal Spirit One - Philips Fidelio L1 - Page 5post #61 of 689/14/12 at 3:21pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #62 of 689/14/12 at 3:44pmThread Starterpost #63 of 689/27/12 at 11:32ampost #64 of 689/27/12 at 2:19pm
Sometime i'd like to see a review of the HD-580 vs the HD-600. 99% of everyone really does believe they're identical in sound.
The HD-580 has less bass, slightly more treble and maybe forward mids. The difference isn't huge. HD-580 sounds much clearer to me.
It made my day yesterday when someone else posted they also liked it more than the HD-600. Sachu I believe.
If you mod your HD-600, it would beat all the others maybe. Since modding my HD-600, my HD-598 has been collecting dust. Now it's almost like an HD-598 on steroids.
The 598 now just has less bass and a larger soundstage. Maybe a tad more treble.
I keep the HD-598 because it's stupid easy to drive and I can even use it straight out of my Clip+
As for my favorites, i'd rank them as:
BTW a modded HD-600 sounds much closer to the HD-598. It does remove some of it's warmth, but not too much. So crystal clear when modded.
I do need to try the HD-650 again. I read some silly posts somewhere that claim it has less forward upper bass than the HD-600. To me that'd be a huge plus.post #65 of 6810/2/12 at 5:52pmpost #66 of 6811/5/12 at 6:26pm
Good review, helped me clarify my thoughts on my upgrade purchase. My HD 595s are getting old after 10 years and im looking to upgrade without spending too much money and 598 seems like a good safe bet since the only thing i didn't like about the 595s is the basspost #67 of 6811/6/12 at 11:55pmQuote:
The HD598 has a greater bass presence, and overall a fuller presentation of the sound frequency though the HD595 was quite well balanced as well. Superior timbre and soundstage (imaging). Probably the biggest differences will be the treble (brighter presentation, but not fatiguing) and the midrange (more forward, more textured, centered, etc.)post #68 of 682/11/13 at 5:55amQuote:Originally Posted by Mkubota1
Nice review! I like the format and your style. You spent an almost equal amount of time setting up the review with your background and preferences, which to me are as important if not more important than the review itself.
Quote:.I'm still the only person I know of who goes to Head-fi meets with a notebook and pen and takes notes for every rig he listens to. Analytical listener or not, I still don't understand why people don't do this.
This sort of surprises me too. It's rare to see this- I've only seen it once. Human auditory memory is quite bad, especially when comparing things that to most people are essentially the same. I sometimes take notes on my iPad which I can also use as a source for portables and familiar material.
I feel you dude, I always have a pen and paper when I audition audio gear. I usually take pictures to... I went into best buy for my first AUDITION of cans and well... I'm glad I took notes. Many of the mid and low fi cans I was curious about... got sufficent listening experince...
still I liked ur review, and the Phillips L1 might be a purchase of mine soon :D
- Mid-fi Shootout - HD600 - HD598 - Focal Spirit One - Philips Fidelio L1
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Impressions and feedback. 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD-800 w/ Custom Headphone Loung Pure Copper Cable PRICE... 1 minute ago
- › Should I ditch my Creative X-Fi? 1 minute ago
- › Review: Clear Tune Monitors CTM-200 dual-driver custom 1 minute ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › Just got some HD650's and ordered a modi&magni combo, but also... 3 minutes ago
- › **MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread** 4 minutes ago
- › HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X... 4 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 5 minutes ago
- › PSB M4U 1 by yay101
- › SONY Stereo headphones black MDR-1RMK2/B by Nec3
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S by turbomustang84
- › Superlux HD669 by mang0
- › IFI Gemini usb cable by turo91
- › Sony Over-Ear Headphones - MDR-10R by a_recording
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by kuhchuk
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by ashton18
- › Sennheiser IE800 by ag8908
- › Pioneer SE-CL721-K Headphones, Black/Red by tswmcello
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by gelocks
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude