Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Replay Gain Foobar
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Replay Gain Foobar

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 

I have a problem with applying volume changes with replaygain. The changes I make could only be heard in Foobar itself and not on the mp3 player or other media players. I wanted to change the volume of my flac files, but this only seems to work in Foobar itself and there is no change in the tag of the file. Could this be changed?

 

With kin regards,

 

Theun Spaans

post #2 of 17

I'm finding that foobar isn't suitable for leveling volume. I highlighted all my FLAC rips (8000 songs) and ran Replay Gain. There was an improvement, but some songs are still not in line. I might try going album by album, but that seems tedious and wouldn't give me what I want.

 

Is there better software out there?

post #3 of 17
Thread Starter 
It works to me but only in foobar. There is no change on my cowon or any other media player in windows. So It is still useless...
post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by drowendINsound View Post

I have a problem with applying volume changes with replaygain. The changes I make could only be heard in Foobar itself and not on the mp3 player or other media players. I wanted to change the volume of my flac files, but this only seems to work in Foobar itself and there is no change in the tag of the file. Could this be changed?

What you want can be done with MP3Gain I think. The effect may not be reversible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel108 View Post

I'm finding that foobar isn't suitable for leveling volume. I highlighted all my FLAC rips (8000 songs) and ran Replay Gain. There was an improvement, but some songs are still not in line. I might try going album by album, but that seems tedious and wouldn't give me what I want.

Is there better software out there?

Replay gain is it. I'm not sure whether I understand your problem though.
Edited by EnOYiN - 3/14/12 at 12:45am
post #5 of 17
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the reaction. I use replaygain already and it is a very powerful tool, but if I want to change the volume of my flac files I have to convert them to mp3. That is not really a problem (converting 320kbps sounds good), but I thought it would be handy to just change the volume of the flac. I searched everywhere for a good flac normalizer but can't find one anywhere.

I do not really understand why foobar normalization is not working (it only works in foobar itself). Is it something with the tag that only cood be read by foobar?

post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by drowendINsound View Post

Thanks for the reaction. I use replaygain already and it is a very powerful tool, but if I want to change the volume of my flac files I have to convert them to mp3. That is not really a problem (converting 320kbps sounds good), but I thought it would be handy to just change the volume of the flac. I searched everywhere for a good flac normalizer but can't find one anywhere.
I do not really understand why foobar normalization is not working (it only works in foobar itself). Is it something with the tag that only cood be read by foobar?

ReplayGain just modifies the tags for as far as I know. The program (in this case Foobar) then has to apply the actual gain. So if you want to use ReplayGain information in another program, the program itself has to be able to use that information for it to actually work. That's why I linked to MP3Gain which is a program that changes the gain so it will work with other programs as well.
post #7 of 17

With foobar you have to convert your files and activate under processing replay gain. 

You should not overwrite your original files because after conversation replaygain can't be removed  anymore.

post #8 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicreo View Post

With foobar you have to convert your files and activate under processing replay gain. 

You should not overwrite your original files because after conversation replaygain can't be removed  anymore.



I tried... But it is not working. What am I doing wrong?

post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by drowendINsound View Post



I tried... But it is not working. What am I doing wrong?


I don't know. I do it this way: First the files have to be scanned:  1) rigth click on your files, 2) ReplayGain- scan per file track gain, 3) update File Tags.

 

Then the files with RG-infos can be converted:

1) Rigth click on the updated files,  or on files that already have RG-infos, 2) convert-,3) Processing-, 4)ReplayGain, 5)source Mode:track or album / 6)Processing: apply gain., 7) Preamp +-0db (=89db) , 8) ok , 9) back, 10) convert.

 

This works for me.

 

post #10 of 17
Thread Starter 

Aah yes I made a mistake (without rg info was not turned to zero now it is). Thanks everybody! It took me weeks to figure this out! But now finally it is working (also on my Cowon)!dt880smile.png

post #11 of 17
Thread Starter 

One last question. Which bit depth should I use for conversion in foobar? I thought 16 bit standard. There is also the auto function. What happens if I set it to auto?

post #12 of 17

I have a question about this processing.. thingy. Isnt this degrading music quality, as in, isnt this "enhancement" only making music sound unnatural and not the way it was recorded.. just as any processing?

post #13 of 17
Thread Starter 

A lot of people say yes, but I don't hear a difference. I think if you would convert it many times it will. But once not really.

post #14 of 17

.


Edited by bmcelvan - 2/12/13 at 8:50am
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel108 View Post

I'm finding that foobar isn't suitable for leveling volume. I highlighted all my FLAC rips (8000 songs) and ran Replay Gain. There was an improvement, but some songs are still not in line. I might try going album by album, but that seems tedious and wouldn't give me what I want.

 

Is there better software out there?

 

There are two types of replaygain options. FLAC is a lossless (this applies to almost any lossless format) so there is no way to "change" the file so it plays louder. You wouldn't want that - it will ultimately change the bits and this won't be lossless anymore. What they do is add a tag in the file (without changing the bits) that tells the software to automatically change the volume. The problem with this is you need to have a player that can read that tag properly.

 

In regards to lossy music, .wma, .mp3, etc. you can do the above which is fine but still need the software to "read" the tag OR, and this is a big difference...you can actually change the bits so they are louder or softer. MP3Gain is a good example of this. Any player that can play an mp3 will now play this file louder (or softer).

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Replay Gain Foobar