I've searched these forums for many hours and I am getting weary from not finding what i need to know. Yes I've found a lot threads asking for amps for the DT 990 and threads on various amps, but none have fit what I am looking for. So for those who want to say, use the search feature, I have. If you have the time I would appreciate some input, even if you have no direct experience with the gear I am looking at or even if you only want to answer only 1 question - i will take something over nothing.
What I own:
- Beyer DT 990 / 250ohm
- Fiio E11
- 1st Gen Ipod Touch
- Plenty of CDs
- Some good music I only have in MP3 form
- A decent PC (onboard sound)
What I need to know:
- Being that I have only the 250ohm set, would it even be worth it to spend hundreds of dollars on a tube amp?
- In addition to #1, would there be a noticeable improvement compared to the E11?
- I notice a HUGE improvement with the E11 as it allows me to hear various layers in some of the songs I listen to (progressive/house). In other songs (such as Afro Celt Sound System) I can hear the instruments as if they're right behind me. Though I find I have to play around with the volume on the iPod and the volume on E11 and use various settings according to the song I am listening to in order to achieve these results. So with a tube amp, would I achieve these results easier and on more songs?
- Any additional purchases, such as cables, extra tubes, etc.?
- What should the source input be? Is the PC ok to house most of the music or should I focus on buying a standalone player of some sort? (e.g. CD)
- Is the iPod even ok to use as source with the Valhalla, even if not ideal?
- Is the Schiit Valhalla the best amp for the price range I am looking in for the DT 990/250? (definitely no more than $500)
I am thinking of the Schiit Valhaala since it is something I can purchase off of Amazon, search results at this forum showed someone at this forum saying the people at Schiit were using Beyers when designing the Valhalla. Supposedly the Beyers really take off with tube amps, hence why I am considering a tube amp. Seems the amps most people were recommending to people were in the $1000+ range. I am definitely not trying to spend that much. The Valhalla is very expensive considering i can only use it with headphones. I just don't know if I can buy a better amp for roughly the same price that would match up with DT 990s better. Or more importantly, if it is even worth considering since I have the 250ohm set.
Thanks for any help you can provide to a newb with no clue how this stuff works, how to hook stuff up or even if he is coming or going.
Edited by Niteblooded - 3/12/12 at 10:47am