Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › HELP! Burson HA-160DS hum/noise problem
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HELP! Burson HA-160DS hum/noise problem - Page 2

post #16 of 63
I was noise free for 2 months before it started up. Sounds like a load of crap to me. It's noise free at the moment too, but was buzzing annoyingly a few minutes ago.
post #17 of 63

That's strange because this is occurring from the time I received it. I even let it burn in, run for a while, the sound is still there lurking in the background... Oh well, I still got a few weeks before I decide to return them or not. If I do, what amp/dac could replace this? I really liked the dynamic sound the HA160DS outputs, and in combination with the Denon D7k, it's amazing.


Edited by dukeskd - 3/25/12 at 8:38pm
post #18 of 63

...you just got have one look at the layout, two large e-cores in small box, EMI/RFI is just begging to rear it’s ugly head...

post #19 of 63

arcam_rpac_close_scaled.jpgaudio lab mdac.jpgadl.jpgdenon headphones are easy to drive..anyone of these will do arcam rpac.. audiolab m-dac..adl gt40..

post #20 of 63

Ok, we get it.  You like the M-DAC.  That doesn't help with the buzzing sound, though.  I think Burson is pulling one when they should service the device to make it buzz-free.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by our martin View Post

send it back and get one of these audio lab mdac.jpgaudio lab mdac!



 



Quote:
Originally Posted by our martin View Post

arcam_rpac_close_scaled.jpgaudio lab mdac.jpgadl.jpgdenon headphones are easy to drive..anyone of these will do arcam rpac.. audiolab m-dac..adl gt40..



 

post #21 of 63

Yeah, it seemes at such a price point it's unbelievable that any noise other than the music is heard

post #22 of 63

In the few time i've been a member im surprised how some guys focus on the problem instead giving helpful suggestions?

I've dealt with Hum noises before, it could be for several reasons. Ac power, transformers, or probably a ground loop? here's an interesting link..

http://www.altavistaaudio.com/hum.html

 

post #23 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecourier View Post

In the few time i've been a member im surprised how some guys focus on the problem instead giving helpful suggestions?

I've dealt with Hum noises before, it could be for several reasons. Ac power, transformers, or probably a ground loop? here's an interesting link..

http://www.altavistaaudio.com/hum.html

 


I've done some testing with it as you can see above. It's not really a hum, more of a low static, and it is coming from the headphones, not the chassis. I can also safely say that it's not a ground loop as I unplugged everything except the power plug and my headphones and still had the noise.

That being said, I haven't heard it in a day now, it comes and goes randomly, the spot next to the headphone jack is also cool to the touch today. Usually when it's noisy that spot is warm or even almost burning hot though that's not always the case. And one more thing that has me worried, usually if I unplug my headphones while that area is hot, my 1/4-1/8 adapter is also warm to the touch and I smell burning electronics. I kinda want to open up the amp and see if there is any obvious damage in there, anyone know if that would void the warrenty or not?
Edited by MohawkUS - 3/26/12 at 8:50pm
post #24 of 63

Mohawk you lucky man mine has that noise all the freakin' time... But from what I am reading about your situation, I think you might have overheating a problem and you should watch out. Is the voltage at the back set to 112v?

post #25 of 63

I'd stay in touch with the people at Burson they are very helpful replying mails. There's definitely something unusual with your unit. 

 

 

post #26 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeL View Post

 

Hello, I´m a long time reader but this is the first thread I start. I apologize beforehand for my writing/spelling, english isn´t my native language. My setup is: Macbook pro---Burson HA-160DS----Sennheiser HD650 or AKG Q701.

 

My HA-160DS arrived yesterday, bought it directly from burson, my previous amp/dac was a fiio e7/e9. The problem is I´m hearing a hum (low noise) with my 650s, the hum starts when I turn on the burson, it doesn´t matter if the source is connected or not, also the noise remains the same with the volume knob all the way down or up. 

 

The hum is barely audible but it´s driving me insane, when I´m using the AKG´s I can hear it but it isn´t as bothersome (almost inaudible). Is there any Burson owner that has experienced this problem?



 

 

I hope I can give you guys some help, I was also hearing steady static hum, I tried everything and won't go away. One day I decide to plug into different USB port and voila, that's when I noticed it was gone for good. Also, after I reboot the laptop it helped. For me, I have another problem with Burson 160DS, I don't really think DAC is working well compare to other headphone DAC. I know there is huge price differences but my next purchase will be Wyred 4 sound dac-2.
post #27 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeskd View Post

Hey guys,

 

I received an e-mail response from Burson, this what they said:

 

 

 

So thats the answer from the folks at Burson, I was predicting that this was the cause but I never previously owned a pure class A design amp, except for the FiiO E7/E9, hence I couldn't speculate on this. If anyone here has another pure class A design amp (there are many) or are more experienced in owning them (I am looking at you milosz), do you have this idling sound?



 

 

Wow this is very discouraging email from Burson, speechless... :o
post #28 of 63
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian411 View Post



 

 

I hope I can give you guys some help, I was also hearing steady static hum, I tried everything and won't go away.One day I decide to plug into different USB port and voila, that's when I noticed it was gone for good.Also, after I reboot the laptop it helped. For me, I have another problem with Burson 160DS, I don't really think DAC is working well compare to other headphone DAC. I know there is huge price differences but my next purchase will be Wyred 4 sound dac-2.


Thanks for the reply, the problem in my case is that even when I have the usb unplugged I hear the hum, the noise starts when I turn on the 160DS even when It´s not connected to the source. 

 

post #29 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeL View Post

 


Thanks for the reply, the problem in my case is that even when I have the usb unplugged I hear the hum, the noise starts when I turn on the 160DS even when It´s not connected to the source. 

 



 

 

Weird, do you have any other devices surrounding your 160DS ? I tend to put Burson far far away possible from PC or other devices for preventing any interferences.

By the way, I am using upgraded USB cable with upgrade power cable, not sure if this is one of factor ?.
If you can still return them you should, I miss that boat :(
post #30 of 63
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian411 View Post



 

 

Weird, do you have any other devices surrounding your 160DS ? I tend to put Burson far far away possible from PC or other devices for preventing any interferences.

By the way, I am using upgraded USB cable with upgrade power cable, not sure if this is one of factor ?.
If you can still return them you should, I miss that boat :(


I don't think my problem is associated with the usb because the noise is already there, even if it´s just connected to the power source I can hear it when plugging my headphones (obviously when it´s ON) . Do you know how much time do you have for returning it?

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › HELP! Burson HA-160DS hum/noise problem