thanks for setting the record straight. It should then also be made clear that the BHSE is a headamp commercial product and the schematics and boards for this amp are also not available. ( neither would I expect them to be )
Recent Images In This Thread
- productCavalli Audio Liquid Lightningtagged by System, 7/26/12
- productHeadAmp Blue Hawaii SE Electrostatic Amptagged by System, 7/26/12
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 7/26/12
- productStax SR-009 Electrostatic Headphonestagged by System, 7/26/12
- productWoo Audio WEStagged by System, 7/26/12
Related Forum Threads
- Stax SR-009 - Which Stax Energiser Amp To Pair With? Last post on 9/10/12 at 11:07am in High-end Audio Forum
- Question about amps for the Stax SR-009 Last post on 8/26/15 at 9:37am in High-end Audio Forum
- What should I buy next? SR-009? Last post on 12/28/13 at 10:17pm in High-end Audio Forum
- WA5 or other amp into WOO WEE energizer - Best cable/connection? Last post on 11/3/12 at 10:26pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Product Sneak Peaks, CanJam @ Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) - Head-Fi TV, Episode 013 Last post on 10/31/11 at 9:34am in Head-Fi Network & Industry News
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 7/31/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 6/26/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 6/26/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/28/15
- Woo Audio: FAQ and Product TroubleshootLast edited: 6/17/14
Brainwavz needs no introduction. They have been in the IEM market long enough that they have made a name for themselves, especially in the bang-for-bucks section. The S5 has been in the market for...
I would like to start by saying thank you to Penon Audio for letting me check out the SHOZY Lancea. The Lacea was sent to me in exchange for my honest opinion of it. The SHOZY Lancea is available...
Fidelio X2 is a really nice headphone at this price point. I paid only 190 USD for a new pair and cannot be more happy with the purchase. X2 sounds very open and has an airy soundstage. Still the...
At the time this review was written the Cayin C5DAC was on sale at Penon Audio for $215.00 USD. Here is a link to their...
Intro When it comes to the world of PC audio, Creative Labs is a brand well known. For nearly 35 years Creative has been an industry leader in digital multimedia technology and innovation....
SR009 / WES / BHSE / LL hit the mainstream - Page 35post #511 of 5943/15/13 at 8:47pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #512 of 5943/15/13 at 9:57pmpost #513 of 5943/16/13 at 1:53am
That is true, but if you ask and want to build one, I bet you could.
Not only that, the KGSSHV is on par with the best, and you could even build the DIY T2 (the very best) since the boards have been easily available.
And I know, the T2 was Stax, but the DIY improves on it.post #514 of 5943/16/13 at 4:49am
By the summertime I should have the BHSE and Electra to go along with my LL 1 and KGSS. I'll also be spending some time with the prototype LL 2, and if I hear an improvement over its predecessor there's a chance I'll upgrade. As it stands however I find the LL 1 to be a fantastic amp.
Really, the only 3rd party stat amp I've heard that I've didn't like was the Thunderbolt. The more I cranked it up, the more it sounded "wrong" to me. Haven't heard the WES yet, but I thought the GES was okay-ish with Lambdas (but preferred Stax's own amps).
I would be willing to allow Tyll time to measure my amps and do some follow-up impressions (especially with the Electra and potentially the production LL 2 added in to the mix). It would be a massive undertaking, but I think this is important for the hobby with stats becoming more popular than ever. Especially now that we've got newcomers who are vying for the top spot.
I'd also like to mention once again that my experience with Dr. Cavalli has been extremely positive. He has always answered my questions and has been nothing but upfront and forthright. It's not surprising to me that he would want his amps to be measured and the results to be published. Not sharing schematics and giving away boards for commercial products is pretty standard business practice. Dr. Cavalli has given a lot to the DIY community in the past, has many DIY designs. If anyone has paid his dues it's him.
Edited by MuppetFace - 3/16/13 at 4:56ampost #515 of 5943/16/13 at 7:59am
FWIW, I'm not sure I have the gear needed to measure stat amps. I'd have to talk with Kevin about it to see if there's some way to solder up a load that has voltage dividers in it to knock down the high voltages to something I could input into the Audio Precision.
Open to the idea though.post #516 of 5943/16/13 at 8:10am
Done right, this measurement requires the appropriate high impedance high voltage probes.
active fet probes are better, but limited in voltage swing so you have to be careful.
The 200 kohm load used in this test is very much different from the impedance
of the actual headphones, which are basically the resistance of air, something
well past 10 meg.
I may have to ship tyll a pile of the right stuff to do this. Complete with zener protectors
for the audio precision. He does not want to blow that thing up, he won't like the repair
Edited by kevin gilmore - 3/16/13 at 8:12ampost #517 of 5943/16/13 at 9:02amQuote:
Wah! Headphone manufacturers putting up pure fiction numbers, nooo. Next you'll be telling me Grado RS-1s don't really go down to 12Hz ;)post #518 of 5943/16/13 at 10:52amQuote:
Really, it's not worth it.
After listening to some of these amps with the 009, it seemed not too terribly difficult to evaluate these amps subjectively. And I'm not sure how much objective measurements are going to tell you.
Lemme know if I'm not thinking straight, Kevin.post #519 of 5943/16/13 at 10:56am
Stax aren't misleading in any way, things are just far more complex in real life than they are on paper. The general line of thought that electrostatics are pure capacitors just doesn't stand up in real life.post #520 of 5943/16/13 at 11:23amQuote:
From a practical, real-life use standpoint, nothing really. After all, none of these amps are glaringly bad. The test would mostly be of interest to those who obsess with details, who need every bit of validation that their amp is the best of the best. Kind of irrelevant, if one is happy with the sonic performance of their amp. After all, no one would buy a Patek for its timekeeping prowess. Still, since there seems to be so much ill will directed by a vocal minority of head-fi posters towards certain amps it might be actually be informative to put all these devices on the same testbench and gather some metrics - duke it out and then move on
I'm just sick and tired of reading pontifications on flawed designs, distortion, wire with gain, open-sourcing, etc. And while I'm on a rant here, can someone please ask Cavalli to tone those LEDs down a bit? If I wanted a laser pointer I'd buy one separately.post #521 of 5943/16/13 at 11:53am
More measurements of the amps not built by stax while driving a pair of headphones would have been interesting. Though I understand not wanting to risk breaking an analyzer with a five digit price tag.post #522 of 5943/16/13 at 11:59ampost #523 of 5943/16/13 at 12:04pmQuote:
Yup, dull is great. Heck, I'd even love to see old school lamps as visual indicators.post #524 of 5943/16/13 at 12:04pmQuote:
They definitely go down to 12 hz. You did not specify the attenuation.
- SR009 / WES / BHSE / LL hit the mainstream
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
- › GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone... 1 minute ago
- › Clash of the not-quite Titans! (ATH-M50X vs DT770 vs DT250 vs... 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo TT High End DAC Amp Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › *Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread* 2 minutes ago
- › New IEM's for around $100-150 2 minutes ago
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Headphone Unveiled Today 3 minutes ago
- › Stax earspeakers repair. 3 minutes ago
- › Stax earspeakers repair. 3 minutes ago
- › Stax earspeakers repair. 3 minutes ago
- › MICROZOTL2 Tube Headphone Amp and preamp: a breakthrough device 4 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN HE400S by Cotnijoe
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by ClieOS
- › Shozy Lancea mini dac amplifier 24bit/192khz for Android/iOS/PC/iPhone by peter123
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by muxamed
- › Cayin Spark C5 DAC Portable USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier by Hisoundfi
- › Creative Sound Blaster E3 Headphone Amplifier by Bansaku
- › Astell&Kern AK380 Ultimate High Fidelity Portable Music Player by piercer
- › JBL Synchros S300 Premium On-Ear Stereo Headphones by ourfpshero
- › JBL J46BT Bluetooth Wireless In-Ear Stereo Headphone by Mark231
- › Sony MDR EX1000 by dubbcd
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2