Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › SR009 / WES / BHSE / LL hit the mainstream
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SR009 / WES / BHSE / LL hit the mainstream - Page 29

post #421 of 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icenine2 View Post

Sweet!  Got to look beautiful!

 

I'm posting a photo when everything is on my audio rack, then headfiers can decide whether the layout looks OK, or if I've gone crazy.

post #422 of 594

The LL sounds it's best after about an hour of warm up as well. Still loving mine every day. Since I got back into vinyl it's only gotten better. 

 

Listening to some Radiohead right now on it, actually.

 

I'd still like to hear a BHSE but I'm in no hurry. This is pretty much heaven right here already. Can't wait to upgrade my turntable now that I know that's the route I want to go.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post

I guess the only problem with the BHSE is it does sound much better after it's been warmed up which take roughly an hour, meaning having to wait that time for it to happen, which is one of the reasons why I've order the GS-X because I'm not sure, but I don't think that amp needs warming up. Another reason is because I want my audio equipment to look a certain way and I feel when I have it all together, to me it'll look very pleasing. 

post #423 of 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

The LL sounds it's best after about an hour of warm up as well. Still loving mine every day. Since I got back into vinyl it's only gotten better. 

 

Listening to some Radiohead right now on it, actually.

 

I'd still like to hear a BHSE but I'm in no hurry. This is pretty much heaven right here already. Can't wait to upgrade my turntable now that I know that's the route I want to go.

 

I've heard both LL and BHSE and can't hear a difference with the 009s. Neither can David1961.

 

If I were you I wouldn't get engaged in a LL and BHSE comparison - the LL you have is just fine - far better to spend time optimising other things like your turntable, other equiment, listening environment and music. These are probably far more important and if you think you can make improvements on the latter two these will cost far less than.

 

Once all done you can stop reading fora like this and just enjoy your music.

post #424 of 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post

 

I'm posting a photo when everything is on my audio rack, then headfiers can decide whether the layout looks OK, or if I've gone crazy.

If you have gone crazy you will be addressing the rest of us who have definitely gone crazy already!

post #425 of 594

Like I said I'm in no hurry and while I'm curious I'm not going to seek one out because I feel it could be better than my LL. ;)

 

I'm honestly pretty much done asking questions on Head-fi. I'm more here to offer an opinion as someone who worked their way up from the bottom.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post

I've heard both LL and BHSE and can't hear a difference with the 009s. Neither can David1961.

 

If I were you I wouldn't get engaged in a LL and BHSE comparison - the LL you have is just fine - far better to spend time optimising other things like your turntable, other equiment, listening environment and music. These are probably far more important and if you think you can make improvements on the latter two these will cost far less than.

 

Once all done you can stop reading fora like this and just enjoy your music.

post #426 of 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

Like I said I'm in no hurry and while I'm curious I'm not going to seek one out because I feel it could be better than my LL. ;)

 

I'm honestly pretty much done asking questions on Head-fi. I'm more here to offer an opinion as someone who worked their way up from the bottom.

 

X2 on working from the bottom for myself!  Funny how through the years my rig price point has gone up!

post #427 of 594

I worked my way up to about 1k per component and ended up selling everything off because I'd lost sight of the music and couldn't believe the money I'd sunk into this. 

 

I took a step back and completely reevaluated my stance on price vs performance and started buying a lot more music.

 

Look at me now. Analogue nut, best in the world cans and amp. I basically decided that I wanted the best rather than 'best for the price' and that my enjoyment of the music was the most important thing in my life...so it was worth it.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icenine2 View Post

X2 on working from the bottom for myself!  Funny how through the years my rig price point has gone up!

post #428 of 594

I'm not at the 009/LL price level but went through the same inner realization that I wanted the best which was the LCD2 and the LF in a non Stat rig.  I will move to the LCD3's soon and at some point I'm getting a Smyth Realiser.  I wouldn't skip a beat buying the LL+009 rig if the $$ pop.

post #429 of 594

When I first started seriously using headphones around 1997, I never thought I'd spend anywhere near the money I have on audio equipment since that year. Do I regret spending that amount of money ?, not one bit. The equipment I have gives me an immense amount of pleasure and when I have the GS-X and Aristaeus I should get even more pleasure.

post #430 of 594

I think many have a problem with spending as much because it's a headphone system.  Somehow to them it negates the supposed benefits of a big speaker rig.  Years ago that was my view until it turned out I was listening to headphones 90% of the time and the big rig at 10% was just sitting there and it was many multiples in price to my headphone system.  Then about three years ago I had the epiphany moment of totally switching over.

post #431 of 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icenine2 View Post

I think many have a problem with spending as much because it's a headphone system.  Somehow to them it negates the supposed benefits of a big speaker rig.  Years ago that was my view until it turned out I was listening to headphones 90% of the time and the big rig at 10% was just sitting there and it was many multiples in price to my headphone system.  Then about three years ago I had the epiphany moment of totally switching over.

Same here.

post #432 of 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icenine2 View Post

I think many have a problem with spending as much because it's a headphone system.  Somehow to them it negates the supposed benefits of a big speaker rig.  Years ago that was my view until it turned out I was listening to headphones 90% of the time and the big rig at 10% was just sitting there and it was many multiples in price to my headphone system.  Then about three years ago I had the epiphany moment of totally switching over.

Care to share when was this epiphany? :)

I listen to my main speaker setup 99% of the time so I'm a little different, but just wondering if I would ever go in deep into head-fi. I own a modest stax system which is not even 5% of my main speaker setup cost, but still enjoy them. I would imagine a 009 with a nice amp would bring a lot more enjoyment.

 

Looking back I would also not be able to justify how I've ended up spending so much on this hobby - both time and money - but what can you do.. pursuit of perfection always comes at a cost.


Edited by Quest88 - 12/10/12 at 8:20pm
post #433 of 594

My epiphany came from the result of having two children and a wife.  When the kids were little I had a bit of time just to sit and listen.  Life progressively(if you consider "progressively" a snowball rolling down the hill and eventually causing a landslide.......) became more time involved with kids homework, kids bedtime when I'd want to listen, wife going to be early, weekends totally taken up by a litany of events, soccer practice, and soccer matches.  Oh and throw some neighbors in on occasion as well who don't dig the loud audio.  After a few years I just wasn't getting to listen much at all to the big rig.  I put music on during the day but it wouldn't be a dedicated "session".  Luckily I had a decent headphone system and was able to listen more and more although it was no where near my regular system.  More time passed and I was logging in less and less listening time for the rig but more on the phones.  The more I started reading here at the site and at 6Moons made me think "crazy" thoughts of spending maybe $3K on a headphone system to get some quality listening in.  Of course I spent way more than $3K because at that point I could see and hear that this was the only way I was going to survive being a music lover and audiophile.  The only way around this would be if money was no object and I had a dedicated listening room and someone to handle all the daily issues so that none of this would apply............and I don't.  So there's the epiphany!

post #434 of 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icenine2 View Post

I think many have a problem with spending as much because it's a headphone system.  Somehow to them it negates the supposed benefits of a big speaker rig.  Years ago that was my view until it turned out I was listening to headphones 90% of the time and the big rig at 10% was just sitting there and it was many multiples in price to my headphone system.  Then about three years ago I had the epiphany moment of totally switching over.

My evolution has been similar to yours.  Once I had a basement room and used my room system almost exclusively, bad dancing and all, expanding on the untold thousands spent in a lifetime pursuit of audio perfection.  Life happened, circumstances lead to a location change, listening room now audited by neighbors who do not necessarily appreciate Immigration Song at max volume after dark.  (They were of course invited)   So... one day I unboxed my Stax 404's and wandered into this forum where I found out about some stat amps coincident with the newly available and perhaps overpriced 009's compared to the excellent 505's.  For a fraction of the price of a decent room system on can have literally the best in the world.  

post #435 of 594

Even if I was Bill Gates and had a gazzillion dollar listening room and a speaker-based system to match (like the Dynaudio Evidence and Von Schweikert VR9 systems I heard at shows),

headphones (meaning my current rig) would still get maybe half of my listening time just because they bring a special sound and form of happiness to my brain that is unique.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › SR009 / WES / BHSE / LL hit the mainstream