Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › SR009 / WES / BHSE / LL hit the mainstream
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SR009 / WES / BHSE / LL hit the mainstream - Page 23

post #331 of 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
I'm not sure what headfiers are trying to achieve in doing a comparison between the LL & BHSE, SQ wise they're both excellent amps and I'm sure owners of either are extremely happy with theirs.

 

The folks who don't own either of them want to know which is better, so they know which one to buy, of course. wink.gif

 

That said, I personally still don't get why Head-Fiers are trying to compare a solid-state electrostatic amp to a hybrid one. IMO the most appropriate competition for the LL is the KGSS/KGSSHV. I've heard the LL and owned the KGSS, and IMO they're roughly in the same territory, sonically. This is just a guess but I'd be willing to bet that if I could set up the LL vs BHSE on my own setup at home, the BHSE would eat the LL for breakfast, because it certainly ate the KGSS! And yes, I'm willing to eat crow btw. tongue.gif


Edited by Asr - 10/10/12 at 2:05pm
post #332 of 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asr View Post

This is just a guess but I'd be willing to bet that if I could set up the LL vs BHSE on my own setup at home, the BHSE would eat the LL for breakfast, because it certainly ate the KGSS! And yes, I'm willing to eat crow btw. tongue.gif

 

And that would be with the Stax SR-007mk1's ?.  Just asking :)

post #333 of 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asr View Post

 

The folks who don't own either of them want to know which is better, so they know which one to buy, of course. wink.gif

 

That said, I personally still don't get why Head-Fiers are trying to compare a solid-state electrostatic amp to a hybrid one. IMO the most appropriate competition for the LL is the KGSS/KGSSHV. I've heard the LL and owned the KGSS, and IMO they're roughly in the same territory, sonically. This is just a guess but I'd be willing to bet that if I could set up the LL vs BHSE on my own setup at home, the BHSE would eat the LL for breakfast, because it certainly ate the KGSS! And yes, I'm willing to eat crow btw. tongue.gif

 

Just curious where the Aristaeus fits in here?

post #334 of 594

When I'm buying audio equipment I'm obviously wanting SQ, but I'm also after build quality and reliability. I don't know anything about the LL but was told by someone I have great trust in, that Justin goes out of his way to get everything perfect so that was a big incentive in me getting the BHSE.

post #335 of 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubenpp View Post
And that would be with the Stax SR-007mk1's ?.  Just asking :)

 

Yes, the OII MKI - not sure why you're asking though.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post
Just curious where the Aristaeus fits in here?

 

Not sure if that was intended at me or not, but I have no clue, as I have next to no experience with that amp.

post #336 of 594

I've the Aristaeus on order so when l receive it l'll do a comparison between that and the BHSE.

post #337 of 594

Not really sure why people keep bringing this one up. Build quality wise maybe, but I think having something that sits on a shelf and plays music is a pretty easy life. You aren't going to lift 2 of them for weight training.

 

Reliability wise out of Alex's 2 current production amps I never had a single issue and many others could report the same experience. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post

When I'm buying audio equipment I'm obviously wanting SQ, but I'm also after build quality and reliability. I don't know anything about the LL but was told by someone I have great trust in, that Justin goes out of his way to get everything perfect so that was a big incentive in me getting the BHSE.

post #338 of 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

Not really sure why people keep bringing this one up. Build quality wise maybe, but I think having something that sits on a shelf and plays music is a pretty easy life. You aren't going to lift 2 of them for weight training.

 

Reliability wise out of Alex's 2 current production amps I never had a single issue and many others could report the same experience. 

There's reliability in the design/build and reliability once it's out the door (prompt service of any issues that may arise.)  Alex's designs have good reliability on both fronts.  I have heard similarly good things of Justin's builds but haven't had the pleasure of experiencing it first hand yet.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asr View Post

 

Yes, the OII MKI - not sure why you're asking though.

So he knows what to look for when he's robbing your house.

post #339 of 594

If an amp only came down to SQ, and if I didn't have the BHSE, I'd be very happy with the LL. But when I plugged my 009's into IanG's LL it was a nerve racking experience for me because the sockets on the LL were extremely tight, so much so I was afraid the pins on my 009 were going to stay in the LL's sockets. I've had no such problem with the BHSE. Build quality and reliability are very important to me because there's less chance of breaking down. I'd never buy anything on SQ alone.

post #340 of 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post

But when I plugged my 009's into IanG's LL it was a nerve racking experience for me because the sockets on the LL were extremely tight, so much so I was afraid the pins on my 009 were going to stay in the LL's sockets. 

 

Yeah, that was a WTF moment for me too, and I think he's got quite a few complaints over said tightness. I hope the next run will feel just right in this aspect.

post #341 of 594

Those jacks bugged the heck out of me.  

 

The new units should not have that issue - in addition the new run (should be about February) will have some fancier casework for those who thought the LL too pedestrian in looks.

post #342 of 594

Yeah, the LL's jacks were a problem for me as I have arthritis, and removing the plugs literally hurt. Over time however they do break in and become easier to handle, and Alex loosened them up a bit for me.

 

The pin concern is a very real one: I've had the pins on an old plug come off in an amp socket before. These were vintage stats however.

post #343 of 594

Gotta say I'm in that camp, too. I unplug mine every time I'm done listening at the moment because I keep them in their box when not on my head. 

 

They're simply just too tight. While they are loosening up a bit, it's still rough. 

 

Hoping Alex gives an 'upgrade' path if he adds new features. Heck, if I can get him to swap to the new case (if I like it) I'd be excited. :D

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_head View Post

Those jacks bugged the heck out of me.  

 

The new units should not have that issue - in addition the new run (should be about February) will have some fancier casework for those who thought the LL too pedestrian in looks.

post #344 of 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asr View Post

 

Yes, the OII MKI - not sure why you're asking though.

Just for clarification . Thanks

 

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_head View Post

So he knows what to look for when he's robbing your house.

Hahaha ...already have one,i'm getting the BHSE  

post #345 of 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

 You aren't going to lift 2 of them for weight training.

 

 

 

When I was in my twenties I did do some weight training aswell as Rugby league. [ only amateur ] but I'm now 51 so the BHSE + Aristaeus will only be there for driving my 009 and looking at.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › SR009 / WES / BHSE / LL hit the mainstream