Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser Amperiors?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser Amperiors? - Page 52

post #766 of 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coq de Combat View Post

Some headphones are very well worth it. There are lots of headphones out there that doesn't improve drastically with better amping and/or DACs.

Thanks for your reply. That's what I read too. But I think most circumaural headphones in that price range do need some kind of amp to be driven in combination with an Iphone or something, right? Since my Audioengine D1 is relatively new, I hope it's good enough to drive them properly.

@ coachenzo
Thanks! I will definately give them a chance to convince me smily_headphones1.gif . Let's hope they do.
post #767 of 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by lluuk View Post


Thanks for your reply. That's what I read too. But I think most circumaural headphones in that price range do need some kind of amp to be driven in combination with an Iphone or something, right? Since my Audioengine D1 is relatively new, I hope it's good enough to drive them properly.
@ coachenzo
Thanks! I will definately give them a chance to convince me smily_headphones1.gif . Let's hope they do.

 

The D1 is a pretty solid unit and should do just fine.  They don't need a lot of power, though I could hear a difference between them amped and unamped using my iPhone as a source with ALAC files.  

post #768 of 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by lluuk View Post

 I also don't like the fact there isn't a carrying case included (which I knew when I bought them, but still; makes them less portable.
 
 

Ugh, I actually didn't know that...that's a bummer...I thought for sure they came with a case like the Momentums.

post #769 of 1019

I'm not quite seeing how a lack of a carrying case makes something like the Amperior less portable.  Since they are quite light I just wear them around my neck when I'm not listening to them. 

post #770 of 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMushroom View Post

I'm not quite seeing how a lack of a carrying case makes something like the Amperior less portable.  Since they are quite light I just wear them around my neck when I'm not listening to them. 

 

I can give you my rationale...I can't walk into a corporate office with headphones hanging around my neck...so I need to put them in my laptop bag. If I just shove the headphones in there without a case - especially a case that has some sort of rigidity - they're more likely to get scratched up and damaged. A case keeps them nice and safe within the bag. 

post #771 of 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focker View Post

 

I can give you my rationale...I can't walk into a corporate office with headphones hanging around my neck...so I need to put them in my laptop bag. If I just shove the headphones in there without a case - especially a case that has some sort of rigidity - they're more likely to get scratched up and damaged. A case keeps them nice and safe within the bag. 

True, the machined/anodized aluminum caps might get a little scratched, but as for the rest of the phone, I think you could shove them into a typical school backpack with multiple books and they'd not suffer any long-lasting damage.  The HD25-1 II's are probably the most robust headphones ever made.  I don't think the addition of the alumimum cans has made them "fragile." 

post #772 of 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomb View Post

True, the machined/anodized aluminum caps might get a little scratched, but as for the rest of the phone, I think you could shove them into a typical school backpack with multiple books and they'd not suffer any long-lasting damage.  The HD25-1 II's are probably the most robust headphones ever made.  I don't think the addition of the alumimum cans has made them "fragile." 

Whether they can handle a little abuse or not isn't really the issue. Some people just like to take care of their things. A case is an obvious omission from a $349 portable headphone. They should have at least included a fabric bag. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that.
post #773 of 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomb View Post

True, the machined/anodized aluminum caps might get a little scratched, but as for the rest of the phone, I think you could shove them into a typical school backpack with multiple books and they'd not suffer any long-lasting damage.  The HD25-1 II's are probably the most robust headphones ever made.  I don't think the addition of the alumimum cans has made them "fragile." 

 

There's not as much as a scratch on any one of my headphones and I plan to keep it that way. I'm sure the Amperiors are extremely durable, as are the HD-25s. As Speakerphile said, though, there are those of us who just prefer to baby our gear and take the best possible care of it. I've only sold two pairs of headphones after using them a while and deciding they weren't for me. I can promise you that both recipients - one of whom is a head-fi'er - were thrilled to receive their purchase in such pristine condition. That's not to say my motivation for having a case is for selling them later, I'm just making an additional point about care. 

post #774 of 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

Whether they can handle a little abuse or not isn't really the issue. Some people just like to take care of their things. A case is an obvious omission from a $349 portable headphone. They should have at least included a fabric bag. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that.

Agreed even the HD25 comes with a little bag. The special edition HD25 came with a nice zip up canvas bag - that would've been great if something like that was included with the Amperior.
post #775 of 1019

Geez, guys - get out a little needle, thread, an old T-shirt and a shoelace and spend an hour or so.  Have you ever looked at the bag the HD25's come in?  You'd probably do just as well with a sandwich baggie - certainly a freezer-quality variety.  If that's your tripping point for assessing whether a headphone package is a good buy ... well, I don't know what to say.

post #776 of 1019
YMMV. If someone is dropping $349.00 on a pair of portable headphones, a case to protect them should be a given.
post #777 of 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomb View Post

Geez, guys - get out a little needle, thread, an old T-shirt and a shoelace and spend an hour or so.  Have you ever looked at the bag the HD25's come in?  You'd probably do just as well with a sandwich baggie - certainly a freezer-quality variety.  If that's your tripping point for assessing whether a headphone package is a good buy ... well, I don't know what to say.

It is simply a criticism. If you don't think it's fair....well, I don't know what to say either.
post #778 of 1019

Well I guess our good buddies at Sennheiser either thought that it didn't need a bag (I personally don't think they need a bag since they don't swivel like the DT 1350 or MDR-1R), or they were trying to cut corners. I don't think that they'd cut a corner on this considering these were intended for DJs/people who wear them around the neck with their awesomeness and taking a massive beating. Since it's anodized, I don't think the paint would chip (from a youtube vid in which Jude interviewed the sennheiser man w/ the amperior, but I could always be wrong). I guess they traded out the bag for the button cable that's been overly hyped lately.

 

Personally, I can't imagine these cans with a bag LOL it'd look just weird unless it were a really good looking bag, but then that'd just be weird since it just looks so hip/street oriented/punk-like. But for $350 on a portable phone, I could understand wanting a bag. Then again, we can all blame the people who bought beats for raising the prices (bird brained people who buy them, thus letting beats charge a bjezus load for bad stuff. Headphone industry then drastically raises prices on everything- but that's due to the people who bought beats so w/e). Then again I could be wrong. Anyway, I'd rather have a bag than button cable any day though :D

post #779 of 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrViolin View Post

Well I guess our good buddies at Sennheiser either thought that it didn't need a bag (I personally don't think they need a bag since they don't swivel like the DT 1350 or MDR-1R), or they were trying to cut corners. I don't think that they'd cut a corner on this considering these were intended for DJs/people who wear them around the neck with their awesomeness and taking a massive beating. Since it's anodized, I don't think the paint would chip (from a youtube vid in which Jude interviewed the sennheiser man w/ the amperior, but I could always be wrong). I guess they traded out the bag for the button cable that's been overly hyped lately.

Personally, I can't imagine these cans with a bag LOL it'd look just weird unless it were a really good looking bag, but then that'd just be weird since it just looks so hip/street oriented/punk-like. But for $350 on a portable phone, I could understand wanting a bag. Then again, we can all blame the people who bought beats for raising the prices (bird brained people who buy them, thus letting beats charge a bjezus load for bad stuff. Headphone industry then drastically raises prices on everything- but that's due to the people who bought beats so w/e). Then again I could be wrong. Anyway, I'd rather have a bag than button cable any day though biggrin.gif

What I got from this...

1. Cans that don't swivel do not need the protection of a bag.
2. DJ's don't need bags.
3. Button cables are overly-hyped. (Tend to agree here)
4. Punk-like headphones would look weird with a bag.
5. Bags are more useful than button cables.

Blame Beats.
post #780 of 1019

Sorry if you got a negative impression :/ I don't really mean bad by punk-like. It's more like fresh/cool... man I can't describe it with words. Now that I think back for storage that's short term (trips), it makes sense. Otherwise if you're moving/just going with them somewhere (bus/school/work/club), pouch wouldn't really appeal. Didn't necessarily say that headphones that don't swivel don't need the protection of a bag, it's just that I think that it'd be harder on the phones (pressure on the cans- even though aluminum, it still can bend since it's a metal. Then again I could be wrong depending on the alloy/grade) still if you stored the bag in a place like a backpack w/ txt books. The way that they're designed (from what I've seen so far), they do move back and forth from the joints but don't fold up or swivel. Not saying that they don't need the protection of the bag, it's just the way that they're built. Yessir, we can blame the people that decided to buy beats. If it were a bag, I'd imagine a sack-like pleather bag w/ the adjuster (not sure what it's called). If a case, then sure. It's juts that I'd imagine people going out and back home with these (club/dj/streets). Also imagine DJs wearing phones around their necks for some reason :s

 

http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/569 for people who want a bag 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser Amperiors?