or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › The Official JRPG Thread (aka Japanese Role Playing Games)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official JRPG Thread (aka Japanese Role Playing Games) - Page 41

post #601 of 788

DC II had more content, i didn't run out of sh*t to do XD played it ages ago, i remember each morning i did the finishing and photo taking on it and it was fun, + the grinding to make the robot even cooler :P not to mention how awesome it was to change the past then you travel to see what you did edit in its future form, really a nice  game, beside the story ofc.

post #602 of 788
Thread Starter 
Hey guys, if you love Final Fantasy... DO NOT GET LIGHTNING RETURNS.

The game sucks. No... really, THE GAME SUCKS. Take this from me, who even bothered to fully play through thr last two XIII games.... this game is so crap, it makes those two look like masterpieces.

The plot is incredibly convoluted, yet incredibly minimal. Like the game literally makes no sense, and the half assed reason why you're Lightning and saving the world HAS NOTHING TO DO with the past few games. They literally made this game just to milk Lihgtning, and yet they managed to make Lightning less likable than ever. I admit to liking her in XIII because she was a female Cloud. Now, she's basically a lackey of god, who has no remorse with whatever consequences are caused by her actions. Yeah.

All you do in the game is literally get tossed into a world, and the worst kinds of MMO quests....by yourself. They have no relevance to the plot, but doing them somehow will save the world. Yeah... welcome to 6th grade fanfiction.

Just... let's remember the good old days when Square was good.

Don't waste $60. Wait until the game is in the bargain bin. Trust me.
post #603 of 788

Heh. I've been in a dilemma these couple of days wondering if I should get Lightning Returns. Now I'm not so sure. 

post #604 of 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Hey guys, if you love Final Fantasy... DO NOT GET LIGHTNING RETURNS.

The game sucks. No... really, THE GAME SUCKS. Take this from me, who even bothered to fully play through thr last two XIII games.... this game is so crap, it makes those two look like masterpieces.

The plot is incredibly convoluted, yet incredibly minimal. Like the game literally makes no sense, and the half assed reason why you're Lightning and saving the world HAS NOTHING TO DO with the past few games. They literally made this game just to milk Lihgtning, and yet they managed to make Lightning less likable than ever. I admit to liking her in XIII because she was a female Cloud. Now, she's basically a lackey of god, who has no remorse with whatever consequences are caused by her actions. Yeah.

All you do in the game is literally get tossed into a world, and the worst kinds of MMO quests....by yourself. They have no relevance to the plot, but doing them somehow will save the world. Yeah... welcome to 6th grade fanfiction.

Just... let's remember the good old days when Square was good.

Don't waste $60. Wait until the game is in the bargain bin. Trust me.

 

That's unfortunate. the 2nd game wasn't engaging enough for me to actually finish it. And i was hoping the 3rd game would be better. Definitely not good news!

post #605 of 788

Anyone else super overleveled in Bravely Default? I just got to Lv.99 in Ch. 4! I still have, like, half a game to go!

post #606 of 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThickGlasses View Post
 

Anyone else super overleveled in Bravely Default? I just got to Lv.99 in Ch. 4! I still have, like, half a game to go!

I really need to pick that game up. I want it, but I really should play through Zelda and Fire Emblem first... I should also finish Shin Megami Tensei IV as well, but that games overworld was really starting to piss me off. I was spending hours getting lost and fighting the same crap over and over again. So I kinda quit that one. Otherwise the game seems to have a lot going for it.


Edited by gamefreak054 - 2/18/14 at 10:53pm
post #607 of 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Hey guys, if you love Final Fantasy... DO NOT GET LIGHTNING RETURNS.

The game sucks. No... really, THE GAME SUCKS. Take this from me, who even bothered to fully play through thr last two XIII games.... this game is so crap, it makes those two look like masterpieces.

The plot is incredibly convoluted, yet incredibly minimal. Like the game literally makes no sense, and the half assed reason why you're Lightning and saving the world HAS NOTHING TO DO with the past few games. They literally made this game just to milk Lihgtning, and yet they managed to make Lightning less likable than ever. I admit to liking her in XIII because she was a female Cloud. Now, she's basically a lackey of god, who has no remorse with whatever consequences are caused by her actions. Yeah.

All you do in the game is literally get tossed into a world, and the worst kinds of MMO quests....by yourself. They have no relevance to the plot, but doing them somehow will save the world. Yeah... welcome to 6th grade fanfiction.

Just... let's remember the good old days when Square was good.

Don't waste $60. Wait until the game is in the bargain bin. Trust me.

 

From the words of someone that really loves his JRPG, noted.

But I'll still get it when it goes cheaper though. Feels wrong to play through a series and stopped halfway. Eventhough how irrelevant (as you said) from the previous ones.

But thanks for the warning.

post #608 of 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThickGlasses View Post

Anyone else super overleveled in Bravely Default? I just got to Lv.99 in Ch. 4! I still have, like, half a game to go!

Greetings fellow Bravely Defaulter! It's sad to think we may be the only two people on this fourm playing this game...

Yikes, level 99 at the beginning of Chapter 4. I thought I was pretty high at 55 at the end of Chapter 4. Trying to max out all of the jobs with everybody? biggrin.gif

I remember my brother used to always max out the jobs in Final Fantasy 5 before certain key plot points.
post #609 of 788
Thread Starter 
Anyone want Lightning Returns for $43? Like new....obviously. Asking for $42 due to shipping. Pm if interested.
post #610 of 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk1281 View Post


Greetings fellow Bravely Defaulter! It's sad to think we may be the only two people on this fourm playing this game...

Yikes, level 99 at the beginning of Chapter 4. I thought I was pretty high at 55 at the end of Chapter 4. Trying to max out all of the jobs with everybody? biggrin.gif

I remember my brother used to always max out the jobs in Final Fantasy 5 before certain key plot points.

Yep, and I got the Growth Egg and Golden Egg in Chapter 3. I usually try to max jobs as soon as I get them, so I started grinding when I got the Pirate Asterisk; I just kinda stopped paying attention and after 2 days of idly grinding I realized I was max level! Master level grinder here. :D

 

I'm currently breezing my way through Chapter 6 and everything is dying in one turn! I can leave most bosses on auto battle and come back from whatever it is I was doing and find that none of my characters are dead. It's not like I'm using the cheap Utsusetsumi/Turn Tables exploit either, I just put everyone as a Dark Knight/Spell Fencer and Brave 3 times, then Drain Sword/Attack/Attack/Attack.

post #611 of 788

Disclaimer: I am a complete novice to this genre.

 

I tried learning how to play Persona 4 Golden, but I'm finding it extremely confusing. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of in game tutorials to explain what all the abbreviations mean, how the mechanics of the game work, and how to be successful in the game. Thanks to the internet I've finally figured out most of the first 2, but I'm wandering around some castle fighting random stuff and not knowing exactly what the end game is. Eventually I'm going to die, again. Is it an appropriate strategy to go back to the castle more often to gain exp and then be able to compete there? Any suggestions on how to do this are appreciated ...

 

Also, I played the Fire Emblem demo and really enjoyed it. If I didn't have such a ridiculous game queue, that'd be next.

post #612 of 788
Thread Starter 
Persona games aren't the easiest RPGs to ease yourself into. Probably should've started with something a bit more old school and legendary, like Chrono Trigger.
post #613 of 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Persona games aren't the easiest RPGs to ease yourself into. Probably should've started with something a bit more old school and legendary, like Chrono Trigger.

Ah, just hearing the name "Chrono Trigger" brings me back! Such a good game, pretty easy, and great for beginners!

post #614 of 788
Thread Starter 
It's the RPG that got me into RPGs in the first place, and it still holds up. I believe you can buy Final Fantasy Chronicles on PSN, and it comes with Chrono Trigger, so it will work fine on the Vita.

I'm still waiting on Suikoden II. i sold my mint copy a few months ago, because I still believe Konami will put the game on PSN... Suikoden II is my fave RPG ever.

My holy trinity is: Suikoden II, Final Fantasy VII, and Chrono Trigger. Suikoden and CT aged better since they're sprite based. FFVII's low polys look like crap, lol. Still, that game has a special place in my heart, even though there are better rpgs out there.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 2/20/14 at 9:53am
post #615 of 788

For me, my long running favs are Suikoden 2, Vagrant Story, and Final Fantasy 4.  While I thoroughly enjoy Chrono Trigger, the story didn't quite hold up as well as those other 3.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › The Official JRPG Thread (aka Japanese Role Playing Games)