Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Denon d5000 vs ultrasone pro 900 (in terms of bass)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Denon d5000 vs ultrasone pro 900 (in terms of bass)

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
I am a huge bass head and am looking for headphones with the MOST bass, not just good bass. I've heard that these are my best bet, so now I am wondering which is the bass king! When I say bass I mean impact/bass that you can physically feel. I listen to mostly dubstep and rock, if that helps. If you know of headphones that have even more bass than those tell me! I already know of the Sony xb series and was disappointed in the bass quality/impact. So I just want to know which headphone has the most bass. My limit is $700. I can also get IEMs if you know of IEMs with more bass than any full size headphone.
Edited by Dkesner4 - 3/9/12 at 8:06pm
post #2 of 13

From what I've read and according to charts, the 900s have more bass impact but can be a lot more fatiguing to listen to. The d5k will have better quality bass.

post #3 of 13
I have heard both the Ultrasone Pro 900 and Denon D5000. The Pro 900s have significantly more bass.
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrider469 View Post

The d5k will have better quality bass.



I actually own both and this is wholly incorrect. The Pro 900s are by far better in every way in regards to bass once they're burned in.

 

That said, the Pro 900s are fatiguing even on a tube amp because of the razer sharp highs. The D5000s are far more comfortable physically and sonically but they don't have the quantity or quality of bass that the Ultrasones do.


Edited by gtrslngrchris - 3/10/12 at 9:29pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrslngrchris View Post



I actually own both and this is wholly incorrect. The Pro 900s are by far better in every way in regards to bass once they're burned in.

 

That said, the Pro 900s are fatiguing even on a tube amp because of the razer sharp highs. The D5000s are far more comfortable physically and sonically but they don't have the quantity or quality of bass that the Ultrasones do.



Quantity doesn't mean quality. You will read countless reviews on Head-Fi by headphonesupremuses and by headroom that the denon d5000 are much more balanced and have a better overall sound quality. (You may like the sound signature of the 900s more than the d5000's and that's fine.) The OP though has specified that they want to know which headphone has the MOST bass and that would be the pro 900. You are correct by saying the 900s have the most, but not that they are the best quality. They  aren't bad quality, just not as good as the denons. 

post #6 of 13

Just to clear up some things, the expensier we go the less bass (above $500 and at best you find a very small boost at best but mostly rather neutral bass) and if you were disappointed by Sony XB's bass impact you'll be even more disappointed by these headphones, they'll offer A LOT better quality for sure but also less bass. PRO900 does offer a lot of impact though but unsure if you'll like the sharp high frequencies.

 

Here's my suggestion for bass impact and quantity and quality..... M-Audio Q40 plus an amp say FiiO E11 for example which also offer 2 steps bass boost (I think you're the person that even step 2 may just be appropriate for you liking but at least find step1 very welcome (about 3.5dB boost or whatever it was). Malveux preferred the Q40 over Ultrasone PRO900 so they are quite impressive buggers at $120 pricepoint. 


Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 3/11/12 at 5:46am
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrider469 View Post



Quantity doesn't mean quality. You will read countless reviews on Head-Fi by headphonesupremuses and by headroom that the denon d5000 are much more balanced and have a better overall sound quality. (You may like the sound signature of the 900s more than the d5000's and that's fine.) The OP though has specified that they want to know which headphone has the MOST bass and that would be the pro 900. You are correct by saying the 900s have the most, but not that they are the best quality. They  aren't bad quality, just not as good as the denons. 



First of all from your post it seems like you don't have direct experience with either headphone so that makes your point somewhat less impactful. Beyond that, if you listen to the two there is no comparison, the extension of the D5000 can match the Pro 900 but it is sloppy and slow by comparison. The Pro 900 is a much faster and accurate headphone for bass in addition to having more quantity. You have the HFI780 which is certainly similar to the Pro 900 but it still falls far short of the tightness of bass the Pro 900 delivers, and I wouldn't even be against saying the 780s might even have MORE bass quantity and impact than the 900.

 

I don't mean to disrespect you but if you have no direct experience I don't think you can make the call between the two. I own both and to me the difference is night and day between the two, not to mention the Ultrasones seem to respond much better to EQ'ing up the bass to push it even further. You are absolutely correct that the D5000 is far more balanced and has a better overall sound quality but that ignores the fact that the Pro 900s have FAR faster and more tightly controlled bass.


Edited by gtrslngrchris - 3/11/12 at 9:03am
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrslngrchris View Post



First of all from your post it seems like you don't have direct experience with either headphone so that makes your point somewhat less impactful. Beyond that, if you listen to the two there is no comparison, the extension of the D5000 can match the Pro 900 but it is sloppy and slow by comparison. The Pro 900 is a much faster and accurate headphone for bass in addition to having more quantity. You have the HFI780 which is certainly similar to the Pro 900 but it still falls far short of the tightness of bass the Pro 900 delivers, and I wouldn't even be against saying the 780s might even have MORE bass quantity and impact than the 900.

 

I don't mean to disrespect you but if you have no direct experience I don't think you can make the call between the two. I own both and to me the difference is night and day between the two, not to mention the Ultrasones seem to respond much better to EQ'ing up the bass to push it even further. You are absolutely correct that the D5000 is far more balanced and has a better overall sound quality but that ignores the fact that the Pro 900s have FAR faster and more tightly controlled bass.

Oh ok. I get what you're saying now about the tightness of the bass with the pro 900s. cool.
Thanks!

 

post #9 of 13

Judging by the 2 threads the OP has started, he should just buy a $700 subwoofer and stick his head in it. Neither the D5000 or Pro900 will give him what he wants.

post #10 of 13

or buy 2 pairs of Beats and stick one on his balls

post #11 of 13

Heya,

 

I own both and I vastly prefer the D5000's presentation.

 

The PRO900 felt over-the-top to me, it's bass bled into everything, it had way too much mid-bass and upper-sub-bass, so all you hear is a blaring tone and some spiked, really bright treble. It's a weird headphone. Does well for electronica, but the moment you put it on other genres, you notice right away how odd it sounds for anything else, like acoustic even. Just weird. The D5000 on the other hand is bassy, but different. It's mostly sub-bass where it's emphasized and you hear a nice low end slam, good impact, and a warm rich sound, but it's mids are right there open and blaring, not recessed and bled into and the treble has a sparkle but it's not fatiguing. The D5000 for me was the absolute winner, for me as a basshead, because I favor something that does great sub-bass, not just a huge mid-bass hump, and I also want it to be able to perform on stuff that is not bassy and still sound superb. The Denon D5000 does that. The PRO900 does not.

 

Very best,

post #12 of 13

Most bassy headphones have too much low midrange for my taste.  I like to take any old set of headphones, use an EQ to trim the 100Hz to 500Hz, and turn up the volume a little.  This works well for getting a good bass response, even from crappy headphones or computer speakers.  I have not tried either of the 2 headphones in question here.

post #13 of 13

Did not audition the D5000 v. the Pro 900, but did compare the D7000 to the Pro 2900--I know, one's open and the other's closed.  The Denon's bass was uniformly superior to the Ultrasone's: extension, articulation, texture, you name it.  And the Pro 2900's bass is certainly not negligible in its own right.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Denon d5000 vs ultrasone pro 900 (in terms of bass)