Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › The Official Mass Effect 3 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Mass Effect 3 Thread - Page 3

post #31 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post


I started with the 2nd game. Couldn't get into the first game. Hated it, actually. I hope they make a streamlined version of the first maybe like on the Vita.


Unfortunately it's not likely the 1st game will be released elsewhere in any form, since it was made before EA acquired BioWare and Microsoft owns the rights. Though you never know....

post #32 of 223
Ooooooh. Ah well, even if it stayed on the 360, I'd still wanna see a remake with features more like the last two games. They are infinitely more accessible.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 3/12/12 at 2:33am
post #33 of 223

Finished it. I loved the ending. Am I the only one?

post #34 of 223
I haven't spoiled myself with the ending yet, and I don't think I'm even halfway done, but everyone online seems to be REALLY mad about it, lol.
post #35 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by J W View Post

Finished it. I loved the ending. Am I the only one?



 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

It would appear you'd be the minority. The ending discards the theme the games carry almost completely. Any choices you made are tossed aside and no matter what, you choose between red, blue or green. That's the only real difference. It also counteractive to many situations you might have fixed. IE The Quarian and Geth can get along if you do things right and EDI holds no hostility towards organics nor does she find herself superior. Those two things alone makes the space kid's speech about synthetics always killing organics wrong. Not to mention the complete and utter lack of closure and an abundant amount of plot holes.

 

Shepard would never roll over like he did at the end. It was almost a complete assassination of character. 

That's only partly why folks hate it. This trilogy deserves better.

post #36 of 223

I only played the first one and didn't like it. After KOTOR Bioware games seem formulaic to me.

post #37 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobbapp View Post

I only played the first one and didn't like it. After KOTOR Bioware games seem formulaic to me.



They do sorta follow the same formula. But the story is rich enough for me to forgive that. The last BW game I regret buying was DA2 and that's kinda because they took away that formula. The game lacked a centralized focus. In any case, it was a recipe that started way back in Baldur's Gate. They've never really deviated from that structure but when they did, the strength they had to tell the narrative was almost kicked out form under them. 

 

However, after DA:O, I have noticed a slight decline in the quality Bioware has as well as a dip with DA2. 

post #38 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibage View Post



They do sorta follow the same formula. But the story is rich enough for me to forgive that. The last BW game I regret buying was DA2 and that's kinda because they took away that formula. The game lacked a centralized focus. In any case, it was a recipe that started way back in Baldur's Gate. They've never really deviated from that structure but when they did, the strength they had to tell the narrative was almost kicked out form under them. 

 

However, after DA:O, I have noticed a slight decline in the quality Bioware has as well as a dip with DA2. 


Agreed, even though Bioware's plots could be labeled "formulaic," they're immersive enough to make me want to play more. I'll probably pick up ME3 after I'm done with finals. Really look forward to it. The Mass Effect series probably has one of my favorite storylines. One of the more recent games I've played was the latest Deus Ex, and it was definitely the best game I've played in awhile. If ME3's depth and story is anything like the first two games, I'm sure it'll be great!

 

post #39 of 223

To me, BioWare's stories aren't so much "formulaic" in a negative way as they are "well informed" by fantasy and sci-fi norms. Many elements in the ME and DA storylines are paying tribute and homage to literature, film, and other precedents in those subcultures. Their head writers are actually some of the most talented in the videogame industry in my opinion. Looking at the actual dialog and characterization in these games, I think that's apparent.

 

As Qoheleth said so long ago: "There is nothing new under the sun." It's all been done before. Just about every work of fiction is going to contain elements that are recycled, especially videogames which are defined by the limitations of our actually having to play them. What do I mean by that? Well, consider the bizarre proliferation of barrels in sewer systems containing valuables. Or people who seem totally at ease with you wandering through their houses. 

 

Even a game as revolutionary as Valve's Portal has plenty of cliches and formula.

 

I've always been struck with the sense that BioWare's writing team has a lot of fun with their writing. They're quite aware of what their past efforts have amounted to, what they want moving forward, and what their fans want. They use this to their advantage, and they use their influences and inspiration effectively.

post #40 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by zantif View Post


Agreed, even though Bioware's plots could be labeled "formulaic," they're immersive enough to make me want to play more. I'll probably pick up ME3 after I'm done with finals. Really look forward to it. The Mass Effect series probably has one of my favorite storylines. One of the more recent games I've played was the latest Deus Ex, and it was definitely the best game I've played in awhile. If ME3's depth and story is anything like the first two games, I'm sure it'll be great!

 



I maintain my stance  on ME3. There are tons of memorable scenes but the ending... Ignore the ending and the game is a solid 8.5 IMO. And Human Revolution was indeed awesome. Deus Ex remains one of my favorite games to this day and I think HR came extremely close to the glory the first had.

 

 

Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

To me, BioWare's stories aren't so much "formulaic" in a negative way as they are "well informed" by fantasy and sci-fi norms. Many elements in the ME and DA storylines are paying tribute and homage to literature, film, and other precedents in those subcultures. Their head writers are actually some of the most talented in the videogame industry in my opinion. Looking at the actual dialog and characterization in these games, I think that's apparent.

 

As Qoheleth said so long ago: "There is nothing new under the sun." It's all been done before. Just about every work of fiction is going to contain elements that are recycled, especially videogames which are defined by the limitations of our actually having to play them. What do I mean by that? Well, consider the bizarre proliferation of barrels in sewer systems containing valuables. Or people who seem totally at ease with you wandering through their houses. 

 

Even a game as revolutionary as Valve's Portal has plenty of cliches and formula.

 

I've always been struck with the sense that BioWare's writing team has a lot of fun with their writing. They're quite aware of what their past efforts have amounted to, what they want moving forward, and what their fans want. They use this to their advantage, and they use their influences and inspiration effectively.

 

The fact they use a centralized structure isn't bad at all. I think however since EA bought them out, the writing has suffered a bit. On top of that, one of the lead writers recently left to work on scree plays. But even between DA:O, ME2 and 3, I've spent more times with those games than I have on games in the past decade. Except Kotor. I have more hours logged in that game than anything else. 

 

I'm not really a fanboy, I swear!


Edited by ibage - 3/13/12 at 12:59pm
post #41 of 223
Anyone know what today's update was for? The game had an update on the PS3. I wonder what fixes were on it. Some strange bugs in the game so far. Like Sheperd going all Poltergeist in some cutscenes.
post #42 of 223

Ugh, reading through all this is making me want to just power through the second game again with the DLC just so I can get started on 3. Playing through to refresh my memory since it's been a while since I finished my third play through of 2.

post #43 of 223

Just finished the game. Started playing this game 5 years ago.... the whole time we have been sold on the ideas that our choices will matter.... What a bunch of ****. I am pretty disappointed right now :(

post #44 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibage View Post

 

The fact they use a centralized structure isn't bad at all. I think however since EA bought them out, the writing has suffered a bit. On top of that, one of the lead writers recently left to work on scree plays. But even between DA:O, ME2 and 3, I've spent more times with those games than I have on games in the past decade. Except Kotor. I have more hours logged in that game than anything else. 

 

I'm not really a fanboy, I swear!

 

Well, I was responding to claims that their writing is "formulaic," which is only one form of "bad writing." Since being bought out by EA, they've had DA:O, DA: 2, ME2, and ME3 published for instance. DA:2 and ME3 were developed fully under the EA acquisition I believe.

 

I think DA:2 actually has very strong writing despite all the flaws with the game itself, and I can't help but wonder how many people in their ire over the broken game overlooked this. The characterization in particular was quite well done, even better than DA:O at times, and the actual ideas behind the game design were pretty inventive even if they didn't translate well.

 

As for ME3, I'm finding its character dialog and event-scripting to be the strongest of the series so far.

post #45 of 223

Though I liked it at the time, I'm starting to waver a bit on my first impressions of the ending. However, that may just be that I'm a bit sad that the series is over.

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 I find myself hoping that it is all a dream or hallucination and that, to everyone's approval, Bioware will surprise-announce a ME4.

Doh! Spoiler tags don't work.


Edited by J W - 3/14/12 at 1:21am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › The Official Mass Effect 3 Thread