Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › The Official Mass Effect 3 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Mass Effect 3 Thread - Page 2

post #16 of 223

@ Mad Lust: Would you mind spoiler-tagging that? That's a pretty big event in the Mass Effect story.

 

 

Wrex stuff (Click to show)

Yeah, basically Wrex becomes the leader of the Krogan people. Even if you killed him in the 1st game, it stands to reason that they'd pick someone else as their leader. The advantage to Wrex is that he can be a friend, so if it's a new leader, winning the Krogan over will probably be all the harder, but not impossible.

 

post #17 of 223
I'm gonna assume that ANYONE playing Mass Effect 3 from Mass Effect 2 will see that the options tell you outright what your choices were, including that of Wrex.

But I'll edit it.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 3/11/12 at 8:11am
post #18 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

I'm gonna assume that ANYONE playing Mass Effect 3 fresh will see that the options tell you to if you chose to save or kill Wrex at the very beginning of this game, as well as Mass Effect 2 telling you outright that he's dead or alive.
Unless you have never played the previous Mass Effect games and start this game blindly, this is spoiled before you even start the game.

 

There could still be people who decide to play the series from the 1st game on the 360 and work their way through sequentially, so it's still a spoiler for some. If someone decides to start with the 2nd game and skip the first, then that's a conscious decision on that person's part.

 

Also whether or not you agree with that first point, the fact remains that you've mentioned details about how Mass Effect 3 handles your decisions (ie. the part about saying "he's replaced in the game"). That most definitely IS a spoiler.


Edited by MuppetFace - 3/11/12 at 8:16am
post #19 of 223
That's like people complaining about being told Aeris dies in FFVII. These games have been out for YEARS.

Spoilers from a game that came out over 5 years ago... well, I would say the 'statute of limitations' expired by now.

I didn't exactly spoil anything relevant. If you played the demo, you'd see Wrex. I'm assuming that ONLY if you played Mass Effect 1 or outright chose in Mass Effect 2 what happens to Wrex, would you see otherwise. Again, ME1 is old.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 3/11/12 at 9:11am
post #20 of 223
Again, lemme be clear: aside from being a choice from a very old game, Wrex/Ashley/Kaidan are choices that are 100% spoiled by the character import menu, so anyone who played the prior games would already know whether he lived or died, and Ashley/Kaidan are spoiled no matter how you start the game. Aside from even mentioning Wrex (who is outright spoiled in the demo), I didn't spoil anything pertaining to THIS game. I chose to kill himin the FIRST game. That's not a spoiler, that's an option.
post #21 of 223

Seeing that character in the demo DOES NOT tell you anything beyond the fact that the character shows up if you chose one particular path. It gives nothing away about how the game handles you choosing the other path (ie. what you revealed).

 

As for the game being old... that's debatable. Five or six years ago isn't that long a time, game industry's ADHD or not.

post #22 of 223
Well, again, to newcomers who know nothing about ME3, all that has been spoiled is that there is an option to have or not have Wrex show up in a game that came out years ago. Frankly, that's not a spoiler holding any meaning to them, as he's a character in this game with a fresh file, or a character who by the game itself tells you his status if you imported data from a game they have already played. Either way Wrex isn't exactly a spoiler by himself.

Like me saying anyone can die in the last game. Lol. Gasp, I ruined something they have complete control of... oh wait, that's common knowledge.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 3/11/12 at 8:42am
post #23 of 223

Those things being spoiled in the character creation screen are a necessary evil for those who decide not to play the first game, decide to start fresh, or play on the PS3 due to licensing issues. If you've played the first game, then yes, it's not a spoiler. If you decide to skip the first game then that's YOUR CHOICE. 

 

I suppose you could argue "what is someone doing on an ME3 thread if that person hasn't played the series and doesn't want it spoiled?" Well, maybe they're reading about the game out of curiosity and then decide to play the series for the first time. If that person wants to start from the beginning, the first game, then those options are most definitely spoilers.

 

As for the ME3 spoiler, the demo does not give this away. Showing Wrex in the demo doesn't reveal that he's replaced if that particular path is chosen. It tells you nothing about what happens if Wrex isn't there. You yourself expressed surprise in your post that he was replaced, and it was also news to me.

 

I won't belabor the point any more beyond this. Suffice to say, I think it's the courteous thing to do, and it takes, what, two seconds to edit a post?

post #24 of 223
And my surprise was from the demo itself showing Wrex. I said I was mad because of my choice obviously kept him from showing up in my imported file. I didn't even need to get to that point to know Wrex wasnt going to be there. Not a spoiler.

This has no bearing as to what happens at all in this game. But anyways, I guess any discussion needs spoiler tags, even when it doesn't spoil anything that happens in the game.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 3/11/12 at 8:59am
post #25 of 223

I haven't got around to playing the demo but I heard it plays a lot like Gear of War, any thoughts? I didn't like the first two games at all but am willing to give the third game a try.

post #26 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_X View Post

I haven't got around to playing the demo but I heard it plays a lot like Gear of War, any thoughts? I didn't like the first two games at all but am willing to give the third game a try.

 

The combat is really the only facet that can be said to play anything like Gears of War, and even then that's if you choose to play as a weapon-heavy class and ignore biotics, tech, and the control wheels. The mechanics are going to be pretty similar to the second game overall, despite the improved AI and more complex enemy class system.

 

Overall, the combat is really only one part of the game. There are still RPG elements: branching upgrade trees, more complex weapon and armor modding, dialog trees that determine moral orientation, relationship building, and most notably a new system where you have to gather and manage lots of details for a coming galactic war. If you didn't like the RPG stuff in the second game, you probably wont like it now, especially since it's more involving in some ways compared to ME2.

 

And personally, I don't see much point in jumping into the game in the third installment. BioWare is all about accessibility now, so they've made it relatively easy to do so if you're new to the game, but the writing really caters to fans of the series or, at the very least, those who have kept up with the events of the series. Mass Effect's strongest suit is the story and characters, and if you're not attached to either, all that's left IMHO is a fairly standard 3rd person shooting game with a fair amount of RPG elements. If you're just looking for a 3rd person shooter without the RPG stuff, there are better alternatives (like Gears of War).


Edited by MuppetFace - 3/11/12 at 12:43pm
post #27 of 223

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

 

The combat is really the only facet that can be said to play anything like Gears of War, and even then that's if you choose to play as a weapon-heavy class and ignore biotics, tech, and the control wheels. The mechanics are going to be pretty similar to the second game overall, despite the improved AI and more complex enemy class system.

 

Overall, the combat is really only one part of the game. There are still RPG elements: branching upgrade trees, more complex weapon and armor modding, dialog trees that determine moral orientation, relationship building, and most notably a new system where you have to gather and manage lots of details for a coming galactic war. If you didn't like the RPG stuff in the second game, you probably wont like it now, especially since it's more involving in some ways compared to ME2.

 

And personally, I don't see much point in jumping into the game in the third installment. BioWare is all about accessibility now, so they've made it relatively easy to do so if you're new to the game, but the writing really caters to fans of the series or, at the very least, those who have kept up with the events of the series. Mass Effect's strongest suit is the story and characters, and if you're not attached to either, all that's left IMHO is a fairly standard 3rd person shooting game with a fair amount of RPG elements. If you're just looking for a 3rd person shooter without the RPG stuff, there are better alternatives (like Gears of War).


This is a good summation. Jumping into 3 is possible but you miss a lot. The story is much more intimate if it's yours all the way from ME1. There are a lot of very powerful moments in 3 as well involving characters and situation from past games that feed off your emotional attachment to them throughout the overall experience. I have to be honest here however. Until I got ME1 on the PC, I had it on my 360 and I had a hard time playing it. Once I got it for the PC, it was almost a completely different experience than on the 360. The story is my main attraction to the series but the ME1 and 3 had great, expansive ways to improve your character skillwise. There's replayability in trying different builds and combos.

 

But again, I'd suggest playing the first ones to truly enjoy the final installment. 

 

 

post #28 of 223

Playing through ME3 for the second time now... to say the ending was a disappointment is definitely no overstatement...

 

The gameplay along the way though, has been a very good experience... They've definitely refined the mechanics of the game into more of a shooter based game compared to ME1's strategic approach.

I agree with the statements being made about the gameplay being similar to GoW... but I believe they have yet to improve it... I found the controls awkward at times (not doing what I wanted it to do... ie: Rolling into a console after pressing the A button near it instead of accessing the console.)

 

All in all though, great game... was just a tad disappointed about the ending :(

post #29 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by nihaz View Post

Playing through ME3 for the second time now... to say the ending was a disappointment is definitely no overstatement...

 

The gameplay along the way though, has been a very good experience... They've definitely refined the mechanics of the game into more of a shooter based game compared to ME1's strategic approach.

I agree with the statements being made about the gameplay being similar to GoW... but I believe they have yet to improve it... I found the controls awkward at times (not doing what I wanted it to do... ie: Rolling into a console after pressing the A button near it instead of accessing the console.)

 

All in all though, great game... was just a tad disappointed about the ending :(

Everyone is. There's a lot of angry people on the Bioware forums and everywhere else. The game was great until then and even during my second playthrough, it's great. There are a few things I did differently.

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

For one, I skipped talking to Thane so he didn't show up at to stop Kai Leng. However, Kirahe (the Salarian from Virmire) stepped in to save to stop Leng. I was just as thrown at that as I was when Thane died. I also skipped disarming the bomb on Tuchanka the first time through and it makes a large difference in tone. This time, I'm going to attempt to get both the Geth and Quarians as I missed that chance the first time.

There's tons of replay value there. They just need a better ending. A MUCH better ending. 


 

post #30 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_X View Post

I haven't got around to playing the demo but I heard it plays a lot like Gear of War, any thoughts? I didn't like the first two games at all but am willing to give the third game a try.


I started with the 2nd game. Couldn't get into the first game. Hated it, actually. I hope they make a streamlined version of the first maybe like on the Vita.

If you didn't like the 2nd, you definitely won't like the third. Its essentially more of the same, albeit with slight improvements. You do have to have an attachment to the characters to appreciate it. ME2 really did that for me (and the PS3's digital comic for the first game, helped me understand the first game without having to go through it.) I'm not a fan of western RPGs, but with the third person shooter combat system, Mass Effect 2 (and 3) really didn't feel like those other games.

The reason part 2 feels more directly tied to this one, is because the story is literally like a direct continuation from the 2nd game's plot.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 3/11/12 at 9:18pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › The Official Mass Effect 3 Thread