Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Just got my LCD-3 and the first impression...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Just got my LCD-3 and the first impression... - Page 4

post #46 of 61
Thread Starter 

I decided to return the RMAd LCD-3s and get a refund. I´ll lose lot of money, but better than having paid double the price of LCD-2 for lesser headphones. I just did find the LCD-2 more wider, brighter, more detailed and more punchier bass = better sounding.

 

So I´m left forever wondering if the RMAd pair also a "veiled pair" or does the LCD-3s really sound like that... :)

 

Gotta start saving for the SR-009 next. :)

post #47 of 61

Might be wise to hear both the SR-009 and SR-007 before you commit on buying the SR-009. If you like the LCD2, you may prefer the SR-007. Even then, depending upon your amplification and the rest of your chain, you may still prefer the LCD2.

post #48 of 61

Wise words, on setting expectations. Purrin offered me the same advice when I ditched my LCD-3 in favor of SR-009, and I'm glad he did. They are very different animals, and don't play well together. In other words, I could not switch from listening to LCD-3 to SR-009 and vice versa without at least a 30 minute pause lest they both sounded awful to my brain. Once you get used to SR-009, there's no going back to dynamics, but there are songs which will definitely sound better on the LCD. The SR-009 are brutally transparent and fast, and won't look the other way should there be shortcomings in the recorded material.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrin View Post

Might be wise to hear both the SR-009 and SR-007 before you commit on buying the SR-009. If you like the LCD2, you may prefer the SR-007. Even then, depending upon your amplification and the rest of your chain, you may still prefer the LCD2.

post #49 of 61

009 requires a much more serious commitment than the HD800 wrt source chain.  Should save up for more than the 009. Might want to double your budget at least.

post #50 of 61
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by purrin View Post

Might be wise to hear both the SR-009 and SR-007 before you commit on buying the SR-009. If you like the LCD2, you may prefer the SR-007. Even then, depending upon your amplification and the rest of your chain, you may still prefer the LCD2.

Good to know, but the LCD-2 isn´t bright enough to me, I still like them though. That´s why I decided to get the LCD-3, but they were even less brighter than my LCD-2s, even the RMAd pair, so I returned them.

 

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilson View Post

Wise words, on setting expectations. Purrin offered me the same advice when I ditched my LCD-3 in favor of SR-009, and I'm glad he did. They are very different animals, and don't play well together. In other words, I could not switch from listening to LCD-3 to SR-009 and vice versa without at least a 30 minute pause lest they both sounded awful to my brain. Once you get used to SR-009, there's no going back to dynamics, but there are songs which will definitely sound better on the LCD. The SR-009 are brutally transparent and fast, and won't look the other way should there be shortcomings in the recorded material.

 

 

That´s what I like! But I need bass too, so the HD 800 for example was a bit of a disappointment. I just hope the SR-009 has enough bass.


Edited by tmhifi - 5/23/12 at 9:53pm
post #51 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmhifi View Post

 

That´s what I like! But I need bass too, so the HD 800 for example was a bit of a disappointment. I just hope the SR-009 has enough bass.

Lol, if you couldn't find the right amp to get bass out of the HD800 you will be sorely disappointed w/ the 009.

post #52 of 61

Oh, the SR-009 has bass - just not in the way LCD or HE cans put out. It never overpowers the musical message, but it's there; deep, tight and detailed. Coming from an LCD, it took me a little while to get used to how electrostats present bass. There's a certain charm to either way of rendering bass, and I find myself preferring one over the other depending upon the music. 

 

Another way of looking at it (nothing wrong with either):

 

SR-009 bass:

 

614-00597005w.jpg

 

 

LCD bass:

 

404876_331583126879132_184545744916205_844547_978595982_n.jpg

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmhifi View Post

 

That´s what I like! But I need bass too, so the HD 800 for example was a bit of a disappointment. I just hope the SR-009 has enough bass.

post #53 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post

009 requires a much more serious commitment than the HD800 wrt source chain.  Should save up for more than the 009. Might want to double your budget at least.

I'm fortunate to have a top quality source and also the SR-009's, when I receive the BHSE hopefully soon I believe my source will take the other two to their potential.


Edited by David1961 - 5/24/12 at 7:54am
post #54 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilson View Post

Oh, the SR-009 has bass - just not in the way LCD or HE cans put out. It never overpowers the musical message, but it's there; deep, tight and detailed. Coming from an LCD, it took me a little while to get used to how electrostats present bass. There's a certain charm to either way of rendering bass, and I find myself preferring one over the other depending upon the music. 

 

Another way of looking at it (nothing wrong with either):

 

SR-009 bass:

 

614-00597005w.jpg

 

 

LCD bass:

 

404876_331583126879132_184545744916205_844547_978595982_n.jpg

 


Yeah...that's how I see it....

 

Another analogy comparing the "high end" headphones:

 

SR-009:

A-Lange-410-025-Datograph-Perpetual-4703-fgw.jpg&maxsize=358

 

SR-007:

glashutte-original-senator-chronometer-watch-1.jpg

 

 

HE-6:

C0UpiTSyNaRq95Yp80Dy7RAeH9uWj8JM3v3PN6pTI6qYh9z0qPxjJ4pS3Up-L3Fdo0VuuU6E3WTewOVzO7jVKb3rEp6rKiCxof-trcEML1zUDGQp4ZCwC2t_ZZUoDGhmB4al_DWCeOEirpnXX5HEWJ5alutYjPI3

 

 

HE-500:

replica-Omega-Speedmaster.jpg

 

LCD-2:

fossil_90827.PNG

 

LCD-3:

71E1A207.jpg

post #55 of 61

Dead-on accurate illustration, I'd say. Lange did come to mind when thinking of SR-009. (comment edited to remove some non-related verbiage)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFF View Post

Another analogy comparing the "high end" headphones:

 

SR-009:

A-Lange-410-025-Datograph-Perpetual-4703-fgw.jpg&maxsize=358

 

 

 

 

And somehow I think of Patek 5127R matching the Sony R10. Something about the (visual) warmth of both.

 

u7HfobwoTZzB4YvQkPQ0eHbQk0X80MAl7hrgEXsA4ChHhW9CJxv_K7Hl8_CINGdWWSmhpY-jSRM3tgJW_1L43ZuW29geF657cPRaXIu-hAGptVlqS7XuSlVUGFueRQLtAvynGVeCJoIG0JcyfL4ZwhjQjI_DmYT_9239  sony_mdr_r10.jpg


Edited by mwilson - 5/24/12 at 8:25am
post #56 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilson View Post

Dead-on accurate illustration, I'd say. Lange did come to mind. Until I can afford the Langematik Perpetual, my Lange 1 Moon Phase is my favorite timepiece (even though I'm wearing it very seldom).

 

 

 

And somehow I think of Patek 5127R matching the Sony R10. Something about the (visual) warmth of both.

 

u7HfobwoTZzB4YvQkPQ0eHbQk0X80MAl7hrgEXsA4ChHhW9CJxv_K7Hl8_CINGdWWSmhpY-jSRM3tgJW_1L43ZuW29geF657cPRaXIu-hAGptVlqS7XuSlVUGFueRQLtAvynGVeCJoIG0JcyfL4ZwhjQjI_DmYT_9239  sony_mdr_r10.jpg


Totally agree with that Patek matching the R10's! A silver version would match the HP-1000's!

post #57 of 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFF View Post


Totally agree with that Patek matching the R10's! A silver version would match the HP-1000's!

 

 

In keeping with the spirit, what will match these?

 

 

jecklin_float.jpg

post #58 of 61

On aesthetics?

FlavaFlav.jpg

post #59 of 61

I owned an Omega Speedmaster for 30+ years.  Nice looks but that was it.  Plastic crystal always scratched.  Got filled up with water if you even breathed on it.  Always needed cleaning (huge bucks).  I wear Suunto now and no problems and a great  sports watch.  No it doesn't say "I'm worth this much" but it just works better at everything............


Originally Posted by LFF View Post


Yeah...that's how I see it....

 

Another analogy comparing the "high end" headphones:

 

 

HE-500:

replica-Omega-Speedmaster.jpg

 

 

 

post #60 of 61

To further this thread off-topic, let me say that a Speedmaster in and of itself will not convey "I'm worth this much"; rather, and especially if it happens to be the Speedy Pro, it will exude understated elegance and class in addition to being a timepiece with historic significance. By the way, I had 3 or 4 Suunto watches myself, and really like them. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Just got my LCD-3 and the first impression...