It's for sale... components are extra.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Neutral Desktop Headphone AMP for Heir Audio 4.A CIEM? Last post on 8/20/12 at 7:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 5/24/14 at 11:55am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Govibe Peak Last post on 7/9/12 at 12:12am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp upgrade for AH-D5000 Last post on 7/2/12 at 4:45am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- The Beauty and the Beast... Woo WA2 vs WA22 Last post on 9/27/13 at 11:56am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Disclaimer: I would like to sincerely thank Salsera and Brainwavz for providing the sample S5 for this review. For most of my audio listening “career”, I haven’t been a big fan of...
I remember browsing the ebay like many of you guys do to see what is out there in portable amplifier land and this one caught my attention because for one it looked very nice and second it...
Intro The HE-400i is the latest headphone from Hifiman. It was released recently as a replacement for the popular HE-400. This write-up will give my initial impressions of the HE-400i as well as...
There's not much that haven't been said about this amazing universal IEM so I'll try not to repeat. I bought the TG334 at Fujiya Avic...thanks to AnakChan for his strong recommendation and for...
This is a review of Logitech/Ultimate Ears UE900s multi-driver in-ear monitors. http://www.ultimateears.com/en-us/900s The original UE900 was my first pair of hi-fi IEMs, the one which opened...
- Headphone Impedance
2359glenn | studio - Page 600
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
I received Glenn's OTL amplifier a few weeks ago (see picture below) and I have been enjoying it very much... so much that I didn't have time to write much lately :)
I posted some preliminary impressions on my blog (tweak-fi), but here is a copy of what I wrote using the ALO recabled Beyer T1s :
"Power tubes :
- With the two RCA 6AS7s, the sound is reminiscent of a bigger more complete LD MKIII - it is very appealing, and simple to like
- With the six RCA 6BL7s, the sound was very different : much more refined, more extended in the frequency extremes, more delicate ... but it took me some time to "get it"
Driver tubes (6SN7) :
- The sound with the stock 6SN7 RCA Glenn provided with the amp was neutral and dead quiet (no noticeable noise floor with my Beyer T1s)
- The sound with Sylvania 6SN7W was very nice : more refined, richer and warmer than the "stock" RCA. However, the noise floor is higher than the stock one, though once the music is playing, it goes slightly unnoticed
- The sound with the VT231 6SN7 Sylvania was fantastic : great timber, great soundstage and excellent resolution but there is a annoying buzzing on the right channel --> I hope it can disappear with burn-in
- I personally didn't like much the sound of the 3DG4 tube (Westinghouse and Zenith). The sound was very "strong"/powerful but at the expense of the soundstage layering and spaciounsness
- The 5AW4 RCA worked better, especially in the soundstage department
I wrote those impressions after listening for only a few hours. I will post some more detailed impressions/review later on.
But the more I have listened to this amp, the more I came to appreciate what Glenn has done. It is a dynamic, fast, accurate and "rich sounding" amplifier. I was fearing that a tube amp might be too warm or not enough detailed, but the resolution of Glenn's amplifier is as good or better than anything I have had the pleasure to listen to."
Since then, I acquire the HD800s and they worked perfectly with the amplifier.
Thanks for sharing, slim.a, nice contribution and photograph. What is the function of the silver disc up front, a cover or dial perhaps?
The silver painted disc is a herbie's audiolab stabilizer - it is supposed to help tame vibration. I didn't do any A/B testing for sound quality but I have found it to be somewhat effective at reducing microphonics (?). When I put the amp on top of the marble tile, anything that would touch the rack or the marble tile would be heard through the headphones. I have been more a solid state kind of guy until now...
I am probably going to get one of those 2 inches maple platform. My maple platforms are slightly smaller than Glenn's amplifier (as they were made for the smaller audio-gd dac19/c2 equipment) and the amp doesn't sit in a very stable manner on top of it.
Anyway, the amplifier is fantastic sounding with all sorts of music. And as good as it sounded with the Beyer T1s, it sounds fantastic with the HD800s which I found not so good the last time I listened to them.
- 2359glenn | studio
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 56 seconds ago
- › The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread 1 minute ago
- › Havi B3 Pro-1 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO E07K ANDES Review and Help Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 3 minutes ago
- › The need for amplifiers 3 minutes ago
- › Introducing the T10i, an all new IEM from RHA 4 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by HK_sends
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by Dsnuts
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by canuckavelli
- › FitEar TO GO! 334 by Francisk
- › Logitech UE 900 by twister6
- › Resonessence Labs Concero HP by cleg
- › JDS Labs C5D by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by twister6
- › Shure SE215 by Existence
- › Audiofly AF140 In-Ear Headphones (Gray) by Loquah
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)