What you need is a 300B amp with 40 ohm output like David's Selah
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Neutral Desktop Headphone AMP for Heir Audio 4.A CIEM? Last post on 8/20/12 at 7:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 4/5/16 at 2:45am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Govibe Peak Last post on 7/9/12 at 12:12am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp upgrade for AH-D5000 Last post on 7/2/12 at 4:45am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- The Beauty and the Beast... Woo WA2 vs WA22 Last post on 1/16/17 at 10:12pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
[[SPOILER]] Disclaimer: The CL1 were provided to me as a part of the North American Review Tour by RHA. I have been given 10 days to listen to and then write a review where I will pass them along...
SPECS: No written spec was found for the UMI-BTA9 WHERE TO BUY / COST: http://amzn.to/2h6jhkA $69.99 new ( often heavily discounted down to $25 or less ) OVERVIEW Happy...
RHA CL750 – initial impressions Reid Heath Audio are a Scotland-based manufacturer who will be familiar to iFans, with their T10i and T20i all-metal IEMs being prominently displayed in...
The new Crusher wireless from Skullcandy is a great improvement on the old Skullcrushers. The most noticeable improvement is NO EXTERNAL BATTERIES which is very important because a person can spend...
2359glenn | studio - Page 599
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #8972 of 146883/9/14 at 9:05amQuote:
I have that on my wish list as well. I'd like to build the other amp we talked about first though.post #8973 of 146883/9/14 at 12:59pmThread StarterQuote:
You and I will finally come together on a build second half of 2014. And naturally, will be female in name.post #8974 of 146883/9/14 at 1:33pmQuote:
i want this rack!!!post #8975 of 146883/9/14 at 1:56pmThread Starterpost #8976 of 146883/10/14 at 12:49ampost #8977 of 146883/10/14 at 1:04amThread Starterpost #8978 of 146883/10/14 at 5:29ampost #8979 of 146883/10/14 at 11:15am
I received Glenn's OTL amplifier a few weeks ago (see picture below) and I have been enjoying it very much... so much that I didn't have time to write much lately :)
I posted some preliminary impressions on my blog (tweak-fi), but here is a copy of what I wrote using the ALO recabled Beyer T1s :
"Power tubes :
- With the two RCA 6AS7s, the sound is reminiscent of a bigger more complete LD MKIII - it is very appealing, and simple to like
- With the six RCA 6BL7s, the sound was very different : much more refined, more extended in the frequency extremes, more delicate ... but it took me some time to "get it"
Driver tubes (6SN7) :
- The sound with the stock 6SN7 RCA Glenn provided with the amp was neutral and dead quiet (no noticeable noise floor with my Beyer T1s)
- The sound with Sylvania 6SN7W was very nice : more refined, richer and warmer than the "stock" RCA. However, the noise floor is higher than the stock one, though once the music is playing, it goes slightly unnoticed
- The sound with the VT231 6SN7 Sylvania was fantastic : great timber, great soundstage and excellent resolution but there is a annoying buzzing on the right channel --> I hope it can disappear with burn-in
- I personally didn't like much the sound of the 3DG4 tube (Westinghouse and Zenith). The sound was very "strong"/powerful but at the expense of the soundstage layering and spaciounsness
- The 5AW4 RCA worked better, especially in the soundstage department
I wrote those impressions after listening for only a few hours. I will post some more detailed impressions/review later on.
But the more I have listened to this amp, the more I came to appreciate what Glenn has done. It is a dynamic, fast, accurate and "rich sounding" amplifier. I was fearing that a tube amp might be too warm or not enough detailed, but the resolution of Glenn's amplifier is as good or better than anything I have had the pleasure to listen to."
Since then, I acquire the HD800s and they worked perfectly with the amplifier.I am wondering about a few things though :- Can one use six 6SN7s on the amplifier instead of six 6BL7s?- Would the gain of 6SN7s be higher or lower than that of the 6BL7s (in the output stage)?- Has anyone tried anything than the 3DG4/5AW4s as rectifiers for Glenn OTL amps?- I looked around for "modern" 6SN7s to try - and I came across the Sophia ones. Did any one try that brand? Is it really low noise?I will write a detailed review of Glenn's amplifier in the coming weeks as I get a better hold/understanding on the sound with both the Beyer T1s and HD800s.Happy tunes everyone!post #8980 of 146883/10/14 at 11:21ampost #8981 of 146883/10/14 at 11:32amThread Starter
Thanks for sharing, slim.a, nice contribution and photograph. What is the function of the silver disc up front, a cover or dial perhaps?post #8982 of 146883/10/14 at 12:01pmpost #8983 of 146883/10/14 at 12:31pmThread Starterpost #8984 of 146883/10/14 at 1:07pmpost #8985 of 146883/10/14 at 1:08pm
- 2359glenn | studio
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › JVC HA-FW01 - The New Top End Wood Driver IEM (2017) 3 seconds ago
- › Wells Audio Milo - Impressions And Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 3 minutes ago
- › Ranking the stars - Flinkenick's Flagship 16 IEM shootout 4 minutes ago
- › Onkyo DP-X11 upcoming | Dual Dac | Balanced | Phone capable DAP maybe 5 minutes ago
- › Review: Final Audio Design Heaven VI 7 minutes ago
- › Grado e Series 7 minutes ago
- › Introducing NightOwl Carbon & NightHawk Carbon. Next Generation... 7 minutes ago
- › Audioquest Nighthawk MINT includes balanced Audioquest cable 7 minutes ago
- › Stax SR-507 Electrostatic Earspeaker by audiophilehe400
- › RHA CL1 Ceramic by Delance26
- › UMIDIGI BTA9 Sports IEM by NA Blur
- › RHA CL750 by Jackpot77
- › MEE audio - MMCX SILVER-PLATED CABLE by Zelda
- › Skullcandy Crusher Wireless Bluetooth Over-Ear Headphone with Mic -... by fusiondragon
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by mokler
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by mokler
- › Noble Audio Encore Universal flagship in-ear monitor by WCDchee
- › Noble Audio Kaiser Encore by Saraguie
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear