Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › 2359glenn | studio
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2359glenn | studio - Page 486

post #7276 of 10361
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosgr63 View Post
 

Happy NewYear!!

 

Eric, sorry about this damamge.

I can see a burned out transistor, please check it out.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

Stavros, you have sharp eyes...Fortunately, that is not a resistor. It is a wad of some sticky stuff they use to adhere the Jensen cap to another part (or possible make sure they stay separated?)

 

What about this grey round thing? Is it supposed to be part grey and part brown?

 

post #7277 of 10361

Eric, head over to Radio Shack if you have one and get the fuses.  That may solve things.  If there is something else wrong the fuses may blow again.  I wouldn't use your best tubes during this test!

post #7278 of 10361
Quote:
Originally Posted by dminches View Post
 

Eric, head over to Radio Shack if you have one and get the fuses.  That may solve things.  If there is something else wrong the fuses may blow again.  I wouldn't use your best tubes during this test!

so...I should put the 596's and the VT231's far away from the amp...:D

 

Where are those Sovtek's?

post #7279 of 10361
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosgr63 View Post
 

Happy NewYear!!

 

Eric, sorry about this damamge.

I can see a burned out transistor, please check it out.

 


I am not sure if that is a blown resistor or a burn on that capacitor?

Can you take a close up picture of that capacitor.

If that coupling capacitor is bad the output tube would lose bias and burn up.

post #7280 of 10361

The capacitor is OK...that black smudge is a piece of dark glue. There is another one on the other side between the other black cap and the Jensen. It is a sticky black almost like a tar ball. It looks like it is some kind of spacer to keep the two caps separated but stuck together. 

post #7281 of 10361
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowbbs View Post
 

The capacitor is OK...that black smudge is a piece of dark glue. There is another one on the other side between the other black cap and the Jensen. It is a sticky black almost like a tar ball. It looks like it is some kind of spacer to keep the two caps separated but stuck together. 


OK then it was just the tube went bad.

Now you have to find fuses

Maybe a auto supply but they are low amperage for anything in a car.

Good luck

I lived in the boonies in upstate NY and am still in the boonies in NC

I have dial up internet no hi speed here.

post #7282 of 10361
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowbbs View Post

 

What about this grey round thing? Is it supposed to be part grey and part brown?

 

That's a disk capacitor. you can see the outline of the bend wire.  Not a issue that I can see. Are some of the fuses in heat shrink tubing?

post #7283 of 10361
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2359glenn View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowbbs View Post
 

The capacitor is OK...that black smudge is a piece of dark glue. There is another one on the other side between the other black cap and the Jensen. It is a sticky black almost like a tar ball. It looks like it is some kind of spacer to keep the two caps separated but stuck together. 


OK then it was just the tube went bad.

Now you have to find fuses

Maybe a auto supply but they are low amperage for anything in a car.

Good luck

I lived in the boonies in upstate NY and am still in the boonies in NC

I have dial up internet no hi speed here.

I am definitely in the boonies....So, 50 miles round trip and 6 stores...No .5Ma fuses. Everything was 1A or more for cars. Another 145 miles round trip to the closest Radio Shack and I got their last 4 pack of .5mA/250V fast blow fuses ($3.50 for 4 fuses)

 

Replace the fuses, put the tubes in and plug in everything. Power cord in....deep breath. Turn the unit on...All tubes come up as before.....wait 60 seconds before volume....

 

SUCCESS!!!

 

Now I am doing my intermittent Bias adjustments. I need to be around 75mA for the SLI-80...Initial readings were about 130mA....Things are now in line and I'll check it again in 30 minutes or so.

 

So, 200 miles for a .90 part so that the $4000 tube amp will work....This is a crazy hobby!  :eek:

 

However, the BEST part is how fantastic everyone is here at 2359Glenn! This amp's current issues aside I have to express how much I appreciate this crew. I have discovered a great group of people I now am privileged to call friends! The community is the reason for the season.

 

All the best to everyone for a wonderful 2014!

 

Eric

 

:beerchug:

post #7284 of 10361
Quote:
Originally Posted by john57 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowbbs View Post

 

What about this grey round thing? Is it supposed to be part grey and part brown?

 

That's a disk capacitor. you can see the outline of the bend wire.  Not a issue that I can see. Are some of the fuses in heat shrink tubing?

John I did not know there was such a thing as a disc capacitor. Apparently it is OK because things are happy again. I did pick up a couple of books on tube amps to start perusing. I don't know if that will be helpful or more confusing, but it just amazes me that all this stuff soldered together creates such a wonderful sound. 

 

Thanks again for your help and suggestions!

 

Eric

post #7285 of 10361
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowbbs View Post

SUCCESS!!!

Now I am doing my intermittent Bias adjustments. I need to be around 75mA for the SLI-80...Initial readings were about 130mA....Things are now in line and I'll check it again in 30 minutes or so.

Great news. Those fuses generally do their job.

In the future, turn the bias screws down all the way before you power up with different tubes. Once things are powered up you can turn up the bias and set it.
post #7286 of 10361
Quote:
Originally Posted by dminches View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowbbs View Post

SUCCESS!!!

Now I am doing my intermittent Bias adjustments. I need to be around 75mA for the SLI-80...Initial readings were about 130mA....Things are now in line and I'll check it again in 30 minutes or so.

Great news. Those fuses generally do their job.

In the future, turn the bias screws down all the way before you power up with different tubes. Once things are powered up you can turn up the bias and set it.


That is what I did when I put the new ones in David. I don't remember what I did the first time. They may have both already been blown from the tube flaming out.

post #7287 of 10361

Happy Ending Eric!

 

Glenn started the remote repair suggestion and David identified the problem.

That's very cool well done!

post #7288 of 10361
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosgr63 View Post
 

Happy Ending Eric!

 

Glenn started the remote repair suggestion and David identified the problem.

That's very cool well done!


Nice to have my own team of experts to assess and diagnose any trouble!

post #7289 of 10361

This is a very special thread indeed. Lots of good chat back and forth and i have to say that i have learned more here than on any other thread. Even when people from this thread are talking on other threads the content is always golden. :beerchug:

post #7290 of 10361
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccabbage View Post
 

This is a very special thread indeed. Lots of good chat back and forth and i have to say that i have learned more here than on any other thread. Even when people from this thread are talking on other threads the content is always golden. :beerchug:

It is our home on Head-Fi!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › 2359glenn | studio