Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › 2359glenn | studio
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2359glenn | studio - Page 376

post #5626 of 10868
No 300b!!

At most im considering stratus, for 2a3 as well as being able to use all my 5u4g and maybe 274b as well.
post #5627 of 10868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

No 300b!!

At most im considering stratus, for 2a3 as well as being able to use all my 5u4g and maybe 274b as well.

 

 

Glenn can do a 45.  Not sure on 2A3, I never asked him...

post #5628 of 10868

My amp will take a 2A3.  It's done fairly often with 45 amps actually.  I'm curious how jc's amp will end up, will basically be what I have except with 300B and without the damper diode full wave bridge rectifier configuration.  I'm finding my amp will not play super loud with the LCD-2 without losing composure, but definitely loud enough so I remain skeptical about whether a 300B is necessary for headphones.  Now if the amp has speaker taps then it makes all kinds of sense, but I wanted a pure headphone amp since I was planning to go for 300B monoblocks as well and didn't need the overlap in functionality.

 

All the talk about endgame can make us lose sight of what matters, enjoying music.  I wondered to myself the other day how much better my amp might be over an ECBA or a Stratus, but then thought what does it matter?  And what would knowing that change?  Nothing.  I'm happy and content and am enjoying music.  All there is to it.  :)

post #5629 of 10868
If you like what you have now, stop looking. Your wallet will love you...biggrin.gif
post #5630 of 10868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcalibur255 View Post
 

 

All the talk about endgame can make us lose sight of what matters, enjoying music.  I wondered to myself the other day how much better my amp might be over an ECBA or a Stratus, but then thought what does it matter?  And what would knowing that change?  Nothing.  I'm happy and content and am enjoying music.  All there is to it.  :)

 

i wish i could do that as well and save money! but i do like tube sound and want amp/amps that use all the tubes i currently have.

 

as for ECBA, i didn't like it a whole lot.

post #5631 of 10868
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc9394 View Post

If you like what you have now, stop looking. Your wallet will love you...biggrin.gif

 

I probably wasn't expressing myself well.  There is a tendency on this forum to be hyper aware of how one's gear compares to what else is out there, and was just implying that focusing on this too much makes us lose perspective sometimes.

post #5632 of 10868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

 

as for ECBA, i didn't like it a whole lot.

What didn't you like about the ECBA if I may ask?

post #5633 of 10868
I think for high impedance phones this OTL can't be beat at least not for the HD-650 or HD-800.
At 1/2 the price of other amps.
LCD-2 or3 I would recommend the C3g > 300B why a 45 or 2A3 when the transformers cost
the same for the 300b and it could also drive speakers. Whatever rectifier is not that important.
On a high quality tube amp the output transformers are the most important part even over expensive tubes.
JJ300Bs can be got for $200 a pair and sound good.
I like to use tubes that can be got for cheep and outperform these boutique over priced tubes.
post #5634 of 10868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcalibur255 View Post
 

What didn't you like about the ECBA if I may ask?

 

bright and kinda lean, way too fast sounding, fatiguing with hd 800. 

 

great clarity though, but too bright, and not worth the 4k price tag

post #5635 of 10868
Quote:
I like to use tubes that can be got for cheep and outperform these boutique over priced tubes.

I like the sound of that! 

 

Does it cost much more to have the transformers covered like in this pic? - 

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/600110/lightbox/post/9838558/id/939650

post #5636 of 10868
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2359glenn View Post

I think for high impedance phones this OTL can't be beat at least not for the HD-650 or HD-800.
At 1/2 the price of other amps.
LCD-2 or3 I would recommend the C3g > 300B why a 45 or 2A3 when the transformers cost
the same for the 300b and it could also drive speakers. Whatever rectifier is not that important.
On a high quality tube amp the output transformers are the most important part even over expensive tubes.
JJ300Bs can be got for $200 a pair and sound good.
I like to use tubes that can be got for cheep and outperform these boutique over priced tubes.

 

i want an amp that sounds good stock of course, but that becomes extremely good after using boutique/unobtainium tubes.

 

the tube amp would mainly be for high impedances for me, which is why an otl would be nice. it would be nice if it worked for low impedance like K701, grados, denons, etc as well.

 

i wouldn't use orthos on it, that would be for my GS-X mk2.

 

i do want to be able to use my 5U4G/274B/GZ34/GZ37/5R4GY tubes and their variants. since i don't want to sell any of them and i like tube rolling :D 

 

your OTL supports all the 7236/6AS7G/6080/5998/421A tube types right?


Edited by Dubstep Girl - 10/22/13 at 3:18pm
post #5637 of 10868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post
 

 

bright and kinda lean, way too fast sounding, fatiguing with hd 800. 

 

great clarity though, but too bright, and not worth the 4k price tag

 

Was it the 300B/PX4 or the 45/2A3 version of the amp?  I myself was surprised at what the 45 tube actually sounds like.  Because it is such an old tube you get a certain idea that it will have that tubey sound, but it indeed a very fast and rather lit up sound like you describe.  I don't think my amp sounds lean though, just very truthful to the music.  It suits the LCD-2 very very well.  My DT880's........ not so much.  :o  Then again I tried the DT880s on my OTL the next day and wasn't liking it then either so I think the amazing sound I'm getting from the 45 > LCD-2 combo has just ruined me for the Beyers in general.


Edited by Xcalibur255 - 10/22/13 at 3:50pm
post #5638 of 10868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcalibur255 View Post
 

 

Was it the 300B/PX4 or the 45/2A3 version of the amp?  I myself was surprised at what the 45 tube actually sounds like.  Because it is such an old tube you get a certain idea that it will have that tubey sound, but it indeed a very fast and rather lit up sound like you describe.  I don't think my amp sounds lean though, just very truthful to the music.  It suits the LCD-2 very very well.  My DT880's........ not so much.  :o  Then again I tried the DT880s on my OTL the next day and wasn't liking it then either so I think the amazing sound I'm getting from the 45 > LCD-2 combo has just ruined me for the Beyers in general.

300b/px4

 

interested in what a 2a3/45 amp would be like. 

post #5639 of 10868
What do you guys mean by an amp sounding fast?
post #5640 of 10868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post
 

 

i want an amp that sounds good stock of course, but that becomes extremely good after using boutique/unobtainium tubes.

 

the tube amp would mainly be for high impedances for me, which is why an otl would be nice. it would be nice if it worked for low impedance like K701, grados, denons, etc as well.

 

i wouldn't use orthos on it, that would be for my GS-X mk2.

 

i do want to be able to use my 5U4G/274B/GZ34/GZ37/5R4GY tubes and their variants. since i don't want to sell any of them and i like tube rolling :D 

 

your OTL supports all the 7236/6AS7G/6080/5998/421A tube types right?


Glenn's OTL design is much more flexible than the WA2, it drives low impedance headphones with authority which is unusual for an OTL design.  It has moved away from the 5998 toward the 6336 because both Glenn and I have had headphones blown up by 5998 tubes with shorts.  The 6336 is a demanding tube in terms of current draw, most of the rectifiers you mention are not usable with this setup.  Even the 6AS7 will overtax many of them.  But, like I mentioned the other day the 3DG4 sounds really good and costs nothing.  Why spend all that money on different tubes when you don't gain anything from it in terms of performance?  If you like to roll just to get different flavors the 6SN7 driver stage is the one to roll for fun.

 

Just my 02 cents.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › 2359glenn | studio