I am relieved that no one to date has thrown eggs against my listening room for hyping the tube.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Neutral Desktop Headphone AMP for Heir Audio 4.A CIEM? Last post on 8/20/12 at 7:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 12/2/13 at 2:36pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Govibe Peak Last post on 7/9/12 at 12:12am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp upgrade for AH-D5000 Last post on 7/2/12 at 4:45am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- The Beauty and the Beast... Woo WA2 vs WA22 Last post on 9/27/13 at 11:56am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I've spent the past week auditioning these new VSD1S by VSonic. Before this I was listening extensively to my dual dynamics JVC FXT90's and my dual armature UE 700. For a single dynamic driver that...
I started this review with the intention of pointing out the things I don't like about it, but man, there really isn't much I don't love about these. Out of the box they sound very thin and...
It does a good job as a DAC for my starving student amp. Eventually, I will probably upgrade but it works well enough. It is nice that it powers off of USB and doesn't take up tons of space.
The review is based on the stock pads, not based on the upgraded velour pads. The only problem with the sound quality is a weird color in the upper mids, around vocal range. This is due to the...
The 880s don't have a lot of color to themselves. They're light comfortable cans that get the job done. They are a well rounded headphone good for someone who can't quite figure out what kind of...
- Headphone Impedance
2359glenn | studio - Page 367
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
Regarding the USAF/JAN-596, we have a real hum-dinger! While our collective interest in the glass did shove it over in to unobtainium territory, decent surplus remains. The challenge for me as I see it is, how do we find and alert those who have them, without tipping-off dealers and speculators that want some of our action... and a body part?
We should be our own '596' Collective, to pursue and protect our interests.
Jack may still have some of the action. Do you think he'd lower the price to help those who have helped him? Just a thought. I think that he's the only one that has them.
No. I sold him the last 12-14 recs in January @ the Group Buy price. When I bought two matched-pairs back from him a few months ago, he charged me retail.
Well at least it's in the family! :)
It's a shame the tube had to turn into the latest hoarding fad and have its potential cut short. But, on the bright side at least some folks got to hear and enjoy the tube, and they were put to use instead of collecting dust in a warehouse.
Speaking of old tubes, the Sylvania 45s have finally settled in and stopped being edgy. As such I had a tremendously enjoyable listening session tonight with the amp. It sounded gorgeous from beginning to end.
I honestly can't imagine pre-recorded music sounding any better than this.
Do the C3g driving a 300B with Lundahl transformers This will be the best setup
Lundahl transformers are a little expensive but worth it. This setup will walk all over a WA5.
Not sure about 5U4 though might use two TV damper diodes instead. Higher power
and lower noise. The ones I plan on using have a cap on top for the cathode.
The number is 42EC4 if you want to look at them on E-Bay. These tubes can handle
1 amp 1000ma at 6500 volts. Electrically Two of these will make a 5U4 look silly.
Plus I can get the 42EC4 for $1.00 each a little more on E-Bay.
To be honest I can't understand the 596 hype.
They have the same plates as the 5U4GB and probably sound very close to them.
I do have a pair but never bothered with them.
Tyrell nice to know you are enjoying your Sylvania 45's now.
Which rectifier are you using?
Edited by rosgr63 - 10/19/13 at 2:04am
I'm not a 596 fan either. I don't find them sounding the same as as 5U4G tubes Stavros. The 596 is very dynamic whilr the 5U4G have more body and bass, treble is not as pronounced as with the faster 596. It was nice to try and I thank Clayton for the tube, but it's been safely stored now. The RK60 is a mix of both but it's closer to the 5U4G.
It seems like we finally got people to try the RK60. I hope they'll like them. I personally think people just want to use rectifiers that need adapters with connectors to go on top of the tubes, just cause they look cool.
Ultra, it's the same as the 5U4GB, I don't know how close it is to the 5U4G, I haven't tried any of them.
My comments are theoretical I am only going by the construction and specs.
Glenn has given my a nice RK60 but I haven't tried that either.
I am not a rectifier person, I prefer simple choices when it comes to rectifiers.
It's good to have people who roll rectifiers I am sure there's lot of fun in it.
It sure is cheaper than rolling 300bs, and the C3G is not rollable, so...
Oh, did I tell I scored a huge number of NOS RCA branded mesh plate Tung Sol 6SJ7WGT? I wonder how much these go for nowadays. there's a pair on ebay for 150$
Edited by Ultrainferno - 10/19/13 at 3:59am
- 2359glenn | studio
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › $350CAD HERUS: Asynchronous USB Audio 2.0, 24bit 352.8Ks/S, DXD and... 35 seconds ago
- › Rate The Last Movie You Watched 38 seconds ago
- › Speaker amps for headphones 1 minute ago
- › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model 1 minute ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 2 minutes ago
- › AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp 2 minutes ago
- › HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X... 3 minutes ago
- › USB to Dual XLR (Rokit 8) 4 minutes ago
- › The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone... 4 minutes ago
- › PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Parts/Overclocking) 6 minutes ago
- › VSONIC VSD1S by IEMagnet01
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 by eightbitpotion
- › NuForce Icon uDAC-2 (Black) USB DAC (24bit/96kHz) and Headphone... by jshaffe
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by jshaffe
- › Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 OHM Semi-open reference headphone by jshaffe
- › MartinLogan Mikros 90 Reference On-Ear Headphones, Black by pataburd
- › Logitech UE 6000 by Trunks159
- › MEElectronics SP51-BK Sound Preference In-Ear Headphone with Sound... by Benik3
- › Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphone (Black) - NEW by JGrignon
- › Shure SE215 Black by starlan
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi