I am relieved that no one to date has thrown eggs against my listening room for hyping the tube.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Neutral Desktop Headphone AMP for Heir Audio 4.A CIEM? Last post on 8/20/12 at 7:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 5/24/14 at 11:55am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Govibe Peak Last post on 7/9/12 at 12:12am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp upgrade for AH-D5000 Last post on 7/2/12 at 4:45am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- The Beauty and the Beast... Woo WA2 vs WA22 Last post on 9/27/13 at 11:56am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I said DON'T TALK !!
i never usually write reviews, but when i do, its usually with underrated earphones/headphones, because i think they do deserve some justice. just a background, i own headphones like brainwavz,...
Rather than go into the esoteric aspects of the sound signature (not really sure if all the nomenclature actually means the same thing to everyone) I'm going to approach this review from a little...
Got a good local deal on these as the are being replaced by the SoundTrue variant, which as far as I can tell, only adds a case and different colors. The Bose AE2 are a very lightweight...
RockJaw is an up and coming headphone company from Great Britain starting strong with a huge lineup. The Alfa Genus is one of their midrange offerings and offers a certain special something that is...
- Headphone Impedance
2359glenn | studio - Page 367
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
Regarding the USAF/JAN-596, we have a real hum-dinger! While our collective interest in the glass did shove it over in to unobtainium territory, decent surplus remains. The challenge for me as I see it is, how do we find and alert those who have them, without tipping-off dealers and speculators that want some of our action... and a body part?
We should be our own '596' Collective, to pursue and protect our interests.
Jack may still have some of the action. Do you think he'd lower the price to help those who have helped him? Just a thought. I think that he's the only one that has them.
No. I sold him the last 12-14 recs in January @ the Group Buy price. When I bought two matched-pairs back from him a few months ago, he charged me retail.
Well at least it's in the family! :)
It's a shame the tube had to turn into the latest hoarding fad and have its potential cut short. But, on the bright side at least some folks got to hear and enjoy the tube, and they were put to use instead of collecting dust in a warehouse.
Speaking of old tubes, the Sylvania 45s have finally settled in and stopped being edgy. As such I had a tremendously enjoyable listening session tonight with the amp. It sounded gorgeous from beginning to end.
I honestly can't imagine pre-recorded music sounding any better than this.
Do the C3g driving a 300B with Lundahl transformers This will be the best setup
Lundahl transformers are a little expensive but worth it. This setup will walk all over a WA5.
Not sure about 5U4 though might use two TV damper diodes instead. Higher power
and lower noise. The ones I plan on using have a cap on top for the cathode.
The number is 42EC4 if you want to look at them on E-Bay. These tubes can handle
1 amp 1000ma at 6500 volts. Electrically Two of these will make a 5U4 look silly.
Plus I can get the 42EC4 for $1.00 each a little more on E-Bay.
To be honest I can't understand the 596 hype.
They have the same plates as the 5U4GB and probably sound very close to them.
I do have a pair but never bothered with them.
Tyrell nice to know you are enjoying your Sylvania 45's now.
Which rectifier are you using?
Edited by rosgr63 - 10/19/13 at 2:04am
I'm not a 596 fan either. I don't find them sounding the same as as 5U4G tubes Stavros. The 596 is very dynamic whilr the 5U4G have more body and bass, treble is not as pronounced as with the faster 596. It was nice to try and I thank Clayton for the tube, but it's been safely stored now. The RK60 is a mix of both but it's closer to the 5U4G.
It seems like we finally got people to try the RK60. I hope they'll like them. I personally think people just want to use rectifiers that need adapters with connectors to go on top of the tubes, just cause they look cool.
Ultra, it's the same as the 5U4GB, I don't know how close it is to the 5U4G, I haven't tried any of them.
My comments are theoretical I am only going by the construction and specs.
Glenn has given my a nice RK60 but I haven't tried that either.
I am not a rectifier person, I prefer simple choices when it comes to rectifiers.
It's good to have people who roll rectifiers I am sure there's lot of fun in it.
It sure is cheaper than rolling 300bs, and the C3G is not rollable, so...
Oh, did I tell I scored a huge number of NOS RCA branded mesh plate Tung Sol 6SJ7WGT? I wonder how much these go for nowadays. there's a pair on ebay for 150$
Edited by Ultrainferno - 10/19/13 at 3:59am
- 2359glenn | studio
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › how many of you guys cook??? 29 seconds ago
- › So what are the best <$100 headphones for female vocals these days? 50 seconds ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 1 minute ago
- › Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Tastefully modded T50RP, Hifiman cable compatible 3 minutes ago
- › Lear BD4.2 impressions and appreciation thread + Australian tour 3 minutes ago
- › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide 4 minutes ago
- › Ranking of 21 DACs and DAC Configurations (and why chocolate ice... 5 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre, 1st page to reformat latest FW download &... 9 minutes ago
- › The T50RP Paradox | reviews, discussion, & mini-tour impressions... 10 minutes ago
- › Westone Elite Series ES60 by Lorias
- › Philips SHL5905BK/28 CitiScape Uptown by emanlee
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by shockdoc
- › Bose®AE2 audio headphones by Blinxat
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by Ishcabible
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)