Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › 2359glenn | studio
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2359glenn | studio - Page 366

post #5476 of 10831
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowbbs View Post
 

Well, the Vandersteen's are in the house! Bi-Wiring may sound better but it is a pain. Now for a couple hundred hours of breaking in.

 

I found 3 RK60's and ordered them I have Glenn adapters on order as well. I am curious how they do vs the 596.


The 596 is a better tube but they are now unobtainum so there is only the RK60 that looks like that

The RK60 is more like a 5U4G and a 596 is like a 5U4GB.

post #5477 of 10831
Thread Starter 

Regarding the USAF/JAN-596, we have a real hum-dinger! While our collective interest in the glass did shove it over in to unobtainium territory, decent surplus remains. The challenge for me as I see it is, how do we find and alert those who have them, without tipping-off dealers and speculators that want some of our action... and a body part?

:popcorn: 

 

We should be our own '596' Collective, to pursue and protect our interests.


Edited by Silent One - 10/18/13 at 6:56pm
post #5478 of 10831

With the seeming explosion in Tube interest it will be something to see what other tubes have a run on them. I wonder if some of the current production tubes will be able to provide the sonic benefits that are ascribed to the ever scarcer NOS?

post #5479 of 10831

plus 1 for that idea.

post #5480 of 10831
Thread Starter 

I am relieved that no one to date has thrown eggs against my listening room for hyping the tube. :o

post #5481 of 10831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post
 

Regarding the USAF/JAN-596, we have a real hum-dinger! While our collective interest in the glass did shove it over in to unobtainium territory, decent surplus remains. The challenge for me as I see it is, how do we find and alert those who have them, without tipping-off dealers and speculators that want some of our action... and a body part?

:popcorn: 

 

We should be our own '596' Collective, to pursue and protect our interests.


Jack may still have some of the action. Do you think he'd lower the price to help those who have helped him? Just a thought. I think that he's the only one that has them.

post #5482 of 10831
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton SF View Post
 


Jack may still have some of the action. Do you think he'd lower the price to help those who have helped him? Just a thought. I think that he's the only one that has them.

 

No. I sold him the last 12-14 recs in January @ the Group Buy price. When I bought two matched-pairs back from him a few months ago, he charged me retail. :rolleyes:

post #5483 of 10831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post
 

 

No. I sold him the last 12-14 recs in January @ the Group Buy price. When I bought two matched-pairs back from him a few months ago, he charged me retail. :rolleyes:


Well at least it's in the family! :)

post #5484 of 10831

I guess the good think is that I saved 2 matched pairs...

post #5485 of 10831
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc9394 View Post

I guess the good think is that I saved 2 matched pairs...

I did the same. I have two singles as well.
post #5486 of 10831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post
 

I am relieved that no one to date has thrown eggs against my listening room for hyping the tube. :o

Where's your listening room? :evil:

post #5487 of 10831
Thread Starter 

:dt880smile:  Wait your turn at Halloween!

post #5488 of 10831

It's a shame the tube had to turn into the latest hoarding fad and have its potential cut short.  But, on the bright side at least some folks got to hear and enjoy the tube, and they were put to use instead of collecting dust in a warehouse.

 

Speaking of old tubes, the Sylvania 45s have finally settled in and stopped being edgy.  As such I had a tremendously enjoyable listening session tonight with the amp.  It sounded gorgeous from beginning to end.

 

I honestly can't imagine pre-recorded music sounding any better than this.

post #5489 of 10831
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2359glenn View Post

JC

Do the C3g driving a 300B with Lundahl transformers This will be the best setup
Lundahl transformers are a little expensive but worth it. This setup will walk all over a WA5.
Not sure about 5U4 though might use two TV damper diodes instead. Higher power
and lower noise. The ones I plan on using have a cap on top for the cathode.
The number is 42EC4 if you want to look at them on E-Bay. These tubes can handle
1 amp 1000ma at 6500 volts. Electrically Two of these will make a 5U4 look silly.
Plus I can get the 42EC4 for $1.00 each a little more on E-Bay.

:blink:

post #5490 of 10831

To be honest I can't understand the 596 hype.

They have the same plates as the 5U4GB and probably sound very close to them.

 

I do have a pair but never bothered with them.

 

Tyrell nice to know you are enjoying your Sylvania 45's now.

Which rectifier are you using?


Edited by rosgr63 - 10/19/13 at 2:04am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › 2359glenn | studio