Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › 2359glenn | studio
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2359glenn | studio - Page 248

post #3706 of 10310
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2359glenn View Post


The 5Z4G is only good for 125ma your amp has two 300Bs at 70ma each and two C3gs at 20ma each

This is 180ma plus recharge current to the capacitors. This is why they are blowing up.

Clayton's mono block amps only have one 300B and one C3g per amp this adds up to 90ma this is fine

for a 5Z4.

 

That actually makes a lot of sense. Math, who would have thought I'd ever need it. rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the info. The bullethole plates in the 5Z4G are the prettiest plates ever though. They're now being used as decoration.

post #3707 of 10310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrainferno View Post

 

That actually makes a lot of sense. Math, who would have thought I'd ever need it. rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the info. The bullethole plates in the 5Z4G are the prettiest plates ever though. They're now being used as decoration.


Give them to Clayton he can use them.

post #3708 of 10310
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2359glenn View Post


Do you want me to build you a semi SS amp? A 6SN7 driving high power mosfets

120 watts output into a 8 ohm load nearly twice that into a 4 ohm load.

You don't need to buy any 6SN7s I know you have them or 12SN7s or 25SN7s will all work.

No tube addiction only two 6SN7s   More power then you will ever need easy to blow your speakers up ?

 

No......No.....No.

 

You already made my addiction much worst by introducing me to the 25SN7 and 6BL7 and 6336 and all of them just in one amp..........

 

Clayton can I hide inside your seashell please?

post #3709 of 10310
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosgr63 View Post

 

No......No.....No.

 

You already made my addiction much worst by introducing me to the 25SN7 and 6BL7 and 6336 and all of them just in one amp..........

 

Clayton can I hide inside your seashell please?

You should have him do the hybrid for you. It will drive Maggies. 240W into a 4 ohm load driving the Maggie 1.7 or better yet the 3.7

post #3710 of 10310
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2359glenn View Post


The 5Z4G is only good for 125ma your amp has two 300Bs at 70ma each and two C3gs at 20ma each

This is 180ma plus recharge current to the capacitors. This is why they are blowing up.

Clayton's mono block amps only have one 300B and one C3g per amp this adds up to 90ma this is fine

for a 5Z4.

 

Welcome back!

 

My question is related to the WooAudio WA5. Last time we spoke on this, I brought up the wrong version of the Siemens tube. Would I be able to use the C3g with adapter as a drop in tube for the 6SN7 inside the WA5? Thanks!

post #3711 of 10310
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosgr63 View Post
No......No.....No.

You already made my addiction much worst by introducing me to the 25SN7 and 6BL7 and 6336 and all of them just in one amp..........

 

Clayton can I hide inside your seashell please?


Yes. There's room for you. It sounds like the ocean in here. Very relaxing.

 


Edited by Clayton SF - 7/11/13 at 11:48am
post #3712 of 10310

I think Glenn wants me to get locked up in a lunatic asylum soon.

 

That's why I need Clayton's help, very nice hide out!

Does it come with a mermaid?

 

Tektron are not bad speakers either.

post #3713 of 10310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post

 

Welcome back!

 

My question is related to the WooAudio WA5. Last time we spoke on this, I brought up the wrong version of the Siemens tube. Would I be able to use the C3g with adapter as a drop in tube for the 6SN7 inside the WA5? Thanks!


Not that easy but I suppose it can be done.

post #3714 of 10310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post

 

Welcome back!

 

My question is related to the WooAudio WA5. Last time we spoke on this, I brought up the wrong version of the Siemens tube. Would I be able to use the C3g with adapter as a drop in tube for the 6SN7 inside the WA5? Thanks!

I would also like to know!

post #3715 of 10310
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosgr63 View Post

I think Glenn wants me to get locked up in a lunatic asylum soon.

 

That's why I need Clayton's help, very nice hide out!

Does it come with a mermaid?

 

Tektron are not bad speakers either.


Common Stavros I am trying to help you a amp with only two tubes.

I know I have been a bad boy introducing you to new Tubes with this new OTL  amp.

have to ween you off tubes slowly or you could end up in a lunatic asylum if you go cold turkey.

Your neighbors might not like this Hybrid amp though.

Have to think of something else Cookies were no good especially when I send Tubes and cookies in

the same box.  Even put tubes in a cookie tin that was bad but it worked and no tubes got broke.

post #3716 of 10310
Quote:
Originally Posted by john57 View Post

I would also like to know!


Have to find out what the plate resistor is on the drive section of the 6SN7

The C3g has to have enough current to work properly driving a 300B.

post #3717 of 10310
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2359glenn View Post


Have to find out what the plate resistor is on the drive section of the 6SN7

The C3g has to have enough current to work properly driving a 300B.

 

I'm still set on ordering some electronic goodies from the Studio this autumn. It's just that I've wanted a WA5 for so long. Now I wanted spec'd to my liking, if I'm paying for it. Not being able to use the C3g in place of a 6SN7 could be a deal breaker. And yes, you'd be properly wink.gifcompensated. 

post #3718 of 10310

You are still trying to substitute a pentode in the place of a triode, even with the heater current being the same.  Plus the biasing might be pretty different for the two tubes.  This is likely why Woo Audio doesn't want to do the customization because they have to re-design the power supply to get the plate current on the C3g right all the resistor values would probably change.

post #3719 of 10310
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcalibur255 View Post

You are still trying to substitute a pentode in the place of a triode, even with the heater current being the same.  Plus the biasing might be pretty different for the two tubes.  This is likely why Woo Audio doesn't want to do the customization because they have to re-design the power supply to get the plate current on the C3g right all the resistor values would probably change.

 

rolleyes.gif My bad. I completely forgot - that's what Jack told me in April. 

post #3720 of 10310
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2359glenn View Post


Common Stavros I am trying to help you a amp with only two tubes.

I know I have been a bad boy introducing you to new Tubes with this new OTL  amp.

have to ween you off tubes slowly or you could end up in a lunatic asylum if you go cold turkey.

Your neighbors might not like this Hybrid amp though.

Have to think of something else Cookies were no good especially when I send Tubes and cookies in

the same box.  Even put tubes in a cookie tin that was bad but it worked and no tubes got broke.

 

Yes you are bad, very bad!

What you managed so far is to ween me off all other amps, tube or SS, and get me hooked on the GR Super 10.

 

Cookies were very very good, even though L told everybody she sent them I managed to fool most all but my niece.

She's too clever to fool.........

 

BTW the AKG K701 sounds very good, one of these days I'll try the K1000.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › 2359glenn | studio