Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › 2359glenn | studio
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2359glenn | studio - Page 230

post #3436 of 10821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcalibur255 View Post

I was able to solder the coupling caps in the Yaqin alright.  It seems like I can't get the heat to transfer, but I keep touching things I don't intend to with the iron too so I'm afraid I may have no choice but to mail it to you for repairs.

 

I have a friend who is pretty handy with a soldering iron, I'll ask him if he wants to give it a try before completely giving up.

 

I hate to mail it again, every time it makes a trip through the mail it gets shaken up and we run the risk of another joint weakening, but I really don't know what else to do about it now.

 

It's nobody's fault, just bad luck, but I'm can't help but feel a little bummed.  I own two tube amps and both of them are broken.  frown.gif

It is probably best if you send it to me. I will fix it for free no mater what is wrong just shipping.

If you are going to send it send it on Monday Priority or Waite till I get back from Athens.

It is best if you Waite till I come back I am leaving on Friday and that don't give much time for it

to get here. 

post #3437 of 10821

Xcalibur, don't forget the soldering paste.

 

Get a damp sponge and clean the soldering iron tip when it's hot.

post #3438 of 10821

Dear Glenn:


Regular old Bakelite plastic tube adapters is ok. I want buy the one pair.

 

Please kindly quote for us for your best with Taiwan.

 
Best Regraed
 
David Chen

post #3439 of 10821
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosgr63 View Post

Xcalibur, don't forget the soldering paste.

Get a damp sponge and clean the soldering iron tip when it's hot.

I did sand my tip thinking that could be the problem. It repulses solder like oil to water but I don't know why since the tip is clean.

Also a quick note to everybody: I hope the thread isn't quiet because of me. Don't let my little issue disrupt normal conversation. The only reason I posted here and not privately is because I like to hear troubleshooting hints and feedback from everybody.
post #3440 of 10821
Are you using flux core solder?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcalibur255 View Post

I did sand my tip thinking that could be the problem. It repulses solder like oil to water but I don't know why since the tip is clean.

Also a quick note to everybody: I hope the thread isn't quiet because of me. Don't let my little issue disrupt normal conversation. The only reason I posted here and not privately is because I like to hear troubleshooting hints and feedback from everybody.
post #3441 of 10821
Its cardas quad eutectic with silver content. I'm pretty sure it is flux core.
post #3442 of 10821
Yep, it is. It should coat the iron tip like melted butter... With the iron hot, try cleaning the tip with a wet cloth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcalibur255 View Post

Its cardas quad eutectic with silver content. I'm pretty sure it is flux core.
post #3443 of 10821

It's basic stuff, you need to put solder on the tip first. If your tip dont melt solder then it's burnt or rotten. Don't know the English word for it, but in french the tip need to be "étamée"

If you cant, then buy another soldering tip for you iron. And yes use flux to solder to bigger metal piece and scratch the part on that metal piece to help get a grip for the solder. Your solder or any cheap solder have flux in them and work the same. What you need is liquid flux that you can apply to the metal part it will work (if you have sorted your burnt tip beforehand).


Edited by telecaster - 6/22/13 at 4:22pm
post #3444 of 10821
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrindingThud View Post

Yep, it is. It should coat the iron tip like melted butter... With the iron hot, try cleaning the tip with a wet cloth.

I did do that, and the iron melts the solder just fine, almost instantly. It just won't coat the tip for some reason so I cannot "tin" the tip properly. Didn't have this problem last time I used it so I thought cleaning the tip would help but it didn't.
post #3445 of 10821
Weird....and I'm sure horribly frustrating. frown.gif If its not sticking, there might be a contaminant on the tip or a spot in the solder without rosin. Clean again and maybe try a section of solder a few inches deeper on the roll? I'm out of ideas after that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcalibur255 View Post

I did do that, and the iron melts the solder just fine, almost instantly. It just won't coat the tip for some reason so I cannot "tin" the tip properly. Didn't have this problem last time I used it so I thought cleaning the tip would help but it didn't.
post #3446 of 10821
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcalibur255 View Post


I did sand my tip thinking that could be the problem. It repulses solder like oil to water but I don't know why since the tip is clean.

Also a quick note to everybody: I hope the thread isn't quiet because of me. Don't let my little issue disrupt normal conversation. The only reason I posted here and not privately is because I like to hear troubleshooting hints and feedback from everybody.

 

This thread was setup to:thumb: encourage conversation and posts just like wink_face.gifyours.

post #3447 of 10821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcalibur255 View Post


I did do that, and the iron melts the solder just fine, almost instantly. It just won't coat the tip for some reason so I cannot "tin" the tip properly. Didn't have this problem last time I used it so I thought cleaning the tip would help but it didn't.

Just buy another cheep iron at Radio Shack that would be better then screwing around with that one.

and buy one at least 30 watts if you are soldering on that ground.

post #3448 of 10821

I have two soldering irons plus a solder gun from the auto parts store for $10. I still have the soldering iron that I used in my projects as a kid that is still in good shape.


Edited by john57 - 6/22/13 at 6:12pm
post #3449 of 10821

The friend who was going to help me got his vehicle trashed badly by the massive hail storm that went through here just now.  I will have to revisit this once the bigger fish are fried.

post #3450 of 10821
Thread Starter 

Sorry about the weather conditions - I had blink.gifNO idea y'all were dealing with challenges that way.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › 2359glenn | studio