Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › 2359glenn | studio
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2359glenn | studio - Page 164

post #2446 of 10629
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2359glenn View Post

Were do you think I got them from?
The problem with Cadbury Creme Eggs is they are so good you can't stop eating them. 

Picture? No offence but it sounds horrible. smily_headphones1.gif
post #2447 of 10629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrainferno View Post


Picture? No offence but it sounds horrible. smily_headphones1.gif

 

The Horrors It is a sweets overdose biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

I can't even imagine what Rosgr63 has in for us in exactly 3 months to the day when we get

off the plane in Athens. Cant Waitesmile.gif

I figure I will be gaining at least 10 lbs

post #2448 of 10629

Cadbury Creme Egg Brownies

 

post #2449 of 10629

eek.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton SF View Post

Cadbury Creme Egg Brownies

 

 

post #2450 of 10629
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2359glenn View Post

Were do you think I got them from?

The problem with Cadbury Creme Eggs is they are so good you can't stop eating them. 

I don't let myself buy these anymore........ I can't take the weight back off after binging on them.

 

And what the hell happened to their price?  Just a couple of years ago they were 25 cents each.  Sheesh talk about inflation at work......  tongue_smile.gif

post #2451 of 10629
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosgr63 View Post

 

 

If you don't mind please do expand your thoughts.

Thanks


Glenn and the text accompanying that table basically explained the mechanics of it.  The thing that is most useful is to have an understanding of why the rectifier can change the sound of an amp even though all it does is change AC to DC power.

 

Put yourself in the position of a designer for a moment.  Let's say, just taking a common number at random here, that the tubes in the amp you are designing work best at a plate voltage of 250V.  As the designer it is your job to make the circuit so that this voltage gets to the tube taking into account the characteristics of the rectifier tube and other components of the power supply design.  For our example let's say we are using a 5U4G.  When outputting full current it will drop around 45V, the actual amount will depend upon the load and the circuit.  When the designer is making the circuit and selecting their parts they take this voltage drop into account so that 250V still gets to the tube plates.  So what happens when we substitute a different tube?  If you throw a 5AR4 in there then now your other tubes might be seeing 280V on the plates.  This is because the 5AR4 has less voltage drop than the 5U4G.  If you use a 5R4GY now they are seeing less than 230V on the plates because it has more drop.  This changes the operating points of the other tubes and changes their behavior electrically.  And that in a nutshell is why a rectifier change the sound of an amp, it is not doing so directly but by causing a change in behavior from the other tubes.

 

This is also why, in my opinion, the OTL sounds best with the 3DG4.  Glenn likely used the voltage drop characteristics of this tube when he designed the amp.  So it is fair to say that the amp sounds the way Glenn intended it to when the 3DG4 is being used.  Not to say there is anything wrong with using a different tube.  It is pretty common to use tubes like the 5R4 which have more drop to "mellow out" an amp.  To my ears the amp sounds completely "right" only when the 3DG4 is in the rectifier position.  It sounds good with other tubes but not ideal.  Just one man's take on it though, I know a couple of other owners prefer the 5U8C and that USAF version of the 5U4 I can't remember the name of right now.  blink.gif


Edited by Xcalibur255 - 3/29/13 at 10:33pm
post #2452 of 10629
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcalibur255 View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosgr63 View Post

 

 

If you don't mind please do expand your thoughts.

Thanks


Glenn and the text accompanying that table basically explained the mechanics of it.  The thing that is most useful is to have an understanding of why the rectifier can change the sound of an amp even though all it does is change AC to DC power.

 

Put yourself in the position of a designer for a moment.  Let's say, just taking a common number at random here, that the tubes in the amp you are designing work best at a plate voltage of 250V.  As the designer it is your job to make the circuit so that this voltage gets to the tube taking into account the characteristics of the rectifier tube and other components of the power supply design.  For our example let's say we are using a 5U4G.  When outputting full current it will drop around 45V, the actual amount will depend upon the load and the circuit.  When the designer is making the circuit and selecting their parts they take this voltage drop into account so that 250V still gets to the tube plates.  So what happens when we substitute a different tube?  If you throw a 5AR4 in there then now your other tubes might be seeing 280V on the plates.  This is because the 5AR4 has less voltage drop than the 5U4G.  If you use a 5R4GY now they are seeing less than 230V on the plates because it has more drop.  This changes the operating points of the other tubes and changes their behavior electrically.  And that in a nutshell is why a rectifier change the sound of an amp, it is not doing so directly but by causing a change in behavior from the other tubes.

 

This is also why, in my opinion, the OTL sounds best with the 3DG4.  Glenn likely used the voltage drop characteristics of this tube when he designed the amp.  So it is fair to say that the amp sounds the way Glenn intended it to when the 3DG4 is being used.  Not to say there is anything wrong with using a different tube.  It is pretty common to use tubes like the 5R4 which have more drop to "mellow out" an amp.  To my ears the amp sounds completely "right" only when the 3DG4 is in the rectifier position.  It sounds good with other tubes but not ideal.

 

 

  Just one man's take on it though, I know a couple of other owners prefer the 5U8C and that USAF version of the 5U4 I can't remember the name of right now.  blink.gif

 

dt880smile.png rolleyes.gif

post #2453 of 10629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post

 

dt880smile.png rolleyes.gif


I know you think I have it in for the tube SO but I swear I can't remember right now and I promised myself I would go to bed rather than hunt through the thread looking for a reminder.  tongue_smile.gif

post #2454 of 10629
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcalibur255 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post

 

dt880smile.png rolleyes.gif


I know you think I have it in for the tube SO but I swear I can't remember right now and I promised myself I would go to bed rather than hunt through the thread looking for a reminder.  tongue_smile.gif

 

Yeah, but it's wink_face.gif justified, since we know the glass isn't performing at it's best with this particular application. Though, it gives me j-u-s-t enough satisfaction to feature it. 

 

However, the rarity of this glass and the shortened life I'm subjecting it to, will soon have me featuring the 3DG4 most of the time going forward. This summer/autumn, I'm looking forward to seeing what other amp I can get from the studio. wink.gif

post #2455 of 10629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton SF View Post

Cadbury Creme Egg Brownies

 

 

 

Clayton this is not fair, now you are playing with my sanity!

 

Glenn, good news!

I have been cured from my tube addiction at long last!

 

I'm going back to Cadbury's cream egg addiction!

 

Is it B65+3DG4+Raytheon VT-52+Cadbury's Cream eggs?

 

or Clayton's CCE Brownies?

 

I am very confused now................

post #2456 of 10629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcalibur255 View Post


Glenn and the text accompanying that table basically explained the mechanics of it.  The thing that is most useful is to have an understanding of why the rectifier can change the sound of an amp even though all it does is change AC to DC power.

 

Put yourself in the position of a designer for a moment.  Let's say, just taking a common number at random here, that the tubes in the amp you are designing work best at a plate voltage of 250V.  As the designer it is your job to make the circuit so that this voltage gets to the tube taking into account the characteristics of the rectifier tube and other components of the power supply design.  For our example let's say we are using a 5U4G.  When outputting full current it will drop around 45V, the actual amount will depend upon the load and the circuit.  When the designer is making the circuit and selecting their parts they take this voltage drop into account so that 250V still gets to the tube plates.  So what happens when we substitute a different tube?  If you throw a 5AR4 in there then now your other tubes might be seeing 280V on the plates.  This is because the 5AR4 has less voltage drop than the 5U4G.  If you use a 5R4GY now they are seeing less than 230V on the plates because it has more drop.  This changes the operating points of the other tubes and changes their behavior electrically.  And that in a nutshell is why a rectifier change the sound of an amp, it is not doing so directly but by causing a change in behavior from the other tubes.

 

This is also why, in my opinion, the OTL sounds best with the 3DG4.  Glenn likely used the voltage drop characteristics of this tube when he designed the amp.  So it is fair to say that the amp sounds the way Glenn intended it to when the 3DG4 is being used.  Not to say there is anything wrong with using a different tube.  It is pretty common to use tubes like the 5R4 which have more drop to "mellow out" an amp.  To my ears the amp sounds completely "right" only when the 3DG4 is in the rectifier position.  It sounds good with other tubes but not ideal.  Just one man's take on it though, I know a couple of other owners prefer the 5U8C and that USAF version of the 5U4 I can't remember the name of right now.  blink.gif

 

 

Very nice explanation, thanks xcalibur.

 

I am very happy with the 3DG4 so far, but thats my own preference.

post #2457 of 10629

Oh it "just" are chocolate eggs. I expected it to be something like the pickled beets and stuff you all seem to like :D

Happy Easter everyone!

post #2458 of 10629

Happy Easter!

post #2459 of 10629
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosgr63 View Post

 

 

Clayton this is not fair, now you are playing with my sanity!

 

Glenn, good news!

I have been cured from my tube addiction at long last!

 

I'm going back to Cadbury's cream egg addiction!

 

Is it B65+3DG4+Raytheon VT-52+Cadbury's Cream eggs?

 

or Clayton's CCE Brownies?

 

I am very confused now................

 

I don't think you will ever be cured from tube addiction.

If you have been cured I have been bad!!!

You have some coming in the mail.

post #2460 of 10629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrainferno View Post

Oh it "just" are chocolate eggs. I expected it to be something like the pickled beets and stuff you all seem to like :D

Happy Easter everyone!


Hah!

Choices ...

 

pickled beets, chocolate eggs ...

5U4, 3DG4 ...

Denons, Beyers ...

 

Happy Easter.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › 2359glenn | studio