Any recommendation of DACs that go well with his OTL amp?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Neutral Desktop Headphone AMP for Heir Audio 4.A CIEM? Last post on 8/20/12 at 7:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 4/5/16 at 2:45am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Govibe Peak Last post on 7/9/12 at 12:12am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp upgrade for AH-D5000 Last post on 7/2/12 at 4:45am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- The Beauty and the Beast... Woo WA2 vs WA22 Last post on 3/14/17 at 1:17am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
These headphones are made for listening to modern extreme genres of loud brickwalled poor-quality metal. They smoothen out spikiness and make drums sound so powerful and quick as if your head was...
Greetings, We all know it's coming, whether we like it or not. The wireless wave is upon us. Pretty much every major earphone manufacturer has a wireless option, and there are countless others...
2359glenn | studio - Page 157post #2341 of 149293/23/13 at 5:43pm
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #2342 of 149293/23/13 at 5:50pmThread Starter
Not sure which balanced DAC purchase would leave your budget balanced. I'm currently using a kicked-up W4S DAC-1 built to DAC-2 specs. And I like it! May get something later this year, as I use to roll DACs not long ago...post #2343 of 149293/23/13 at 5:54pmpost #2344 of 149293/23/13 at 5:55pm
Just catching up....
As others have said, the only hum I have heard are with very sensitive cans, like the ATHW3000s. But my amp isn't even broken in.
Tyrell, can you list the different power tubes you have tried? So far I have only used 5998s.post #2345 of 149293/23/13 at 6:08pm
Not really a big power tube roller. The 5998 is very much to my liking so I never bothered to try the 7236 or some of the other variants. I have rolled a few 6AS7G with my favorite being the Chathams, and a pair of Chatham 6080W which were nicer than the reputation of the 6080 would lead one to believe.
There is a dedicated thread for 6AS7G family tubes with some useful posts if you haven't already stopped by there.post #2346 of 149293/23/13 at 6:09pmpost #2347 of 149293/23/13 at 6:12pmQuote:Originally Posted by Xcalibur255 Can you give me any more details? I certainly don't think we need that many but if the pricing is good it is worth looking into. It would also be good to know the production origin and maker (Siemens, Telefunken, ITT-Lorenz), some of these tubes are from the German Post lifetime buyout production run and some are military stock. In this case the military stock is the less desirable stock to have contrary to normal tube logic.
Why would the military Siemens not be as good as the German Post Siemens? Aren't they the same tube package and sold differently?post #2348 of 149293/23/13 at 6:13pmQuote:
Typically mil tubes are built to tougher standards.post #2349 of 149293/23/13 at 7:04pmQuote:
Nothing special about that price I'm afraid. A shame.
As for mil vs. telco it comes down to the history of the tube and its use. The lifetime buy for German Post was done in large batches with very high controls in place. Good quality and consistency, they were aiming for maximum life because it was the last time the tube would ever be produced. From what I have read the post tubes are the ones people seek out, though I have no doubt there is not much real difference. At least not sonically, maybe they'd last a little longer.
They command higher prices so it helps to determine if the price in question is a good one or not.post #2350 of 149293/23/13 at 8:04pmThread StarterQuote:
I love gears as much as the next audio lover. But no need, really. Some moons back, I worked in Home Audio and did CES and other shows year in and year out. Enjoying both dealer discounts and loaners from manufacturers - lots and lots of toys - I'm content with keeping the listening room sparsely populated.
Commitment and ceremony can also be fun. Think heightened senses.post #2351 of 149293/23/13 at 9:06pmQuote:
There are some good balanced DAC's out there without that much money. One is the Emotiva XDA-2 and the other is the Schiit GUNGNIR which is built in USA. The GUNFNIR case manufacture ,circuit board manufacture and assembly all done in USA.post #2352 of 149293/23/13 at 9:12pmQuote:Originally Posted by john57Quote:
There are some good balanced DAC's out there without that much money. One is the Emotiva XDA-2 and the other is the Schiit GUNGNIR which is built in USA. The GUNFNIR case manufacture ,circuit board manufacture and assembly all done in USA.
No others?post #2353 of 149293/23/13 at 9:16pm
I really like this balanced DAC. Inexpensive and a powerhouse IMO.
I own one myself.
Edited by Clayton SF - 3/23/13 at 9:17pmpost #2354 of 149293/23/13 at 9:21pmpost #2355 of 149293/23/13 at 10:35pm
My Channel Islands VDA-2 has been a faithful piece of gear for some years now, though it is getting long in the tooth design-wise compared to some others. It's not much cheaper than the Gungnir though so no help there, and if you want the upgraded PSU it is no cheaper at all.
You might want to look at the Musical Fidelity V-DAC II, it has a pretty good reputation for it's price.
I see no reason to shy away from Emotiva though, those guys make good products and offer a great value.
- 2359glenn | studio
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 11 seconds ago
- › HTC 11 (aka Ocean Master/Note/Smart) 40 seconds ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 40 seconds ago
- › Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread 55 seconds ago
- › Building my own 2.1 system. 1 minute ago
- › The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones 1 minute ago
- › Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread 1 minute ago
- › Focal Utopia (& a little Elear) impressions and discussion 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions 2 minutes ago
- › Panasonic RP-HT460E-K by PETEBULL
- › SoundPEATS Wireless Earbuds, True Wireless Stereo Bluetooth 4.2... by B9Scrambler
- › Soundmagic E10BT by msturg29
- › Brainwavz BLU-Delta Bluetooth Earbud Wireless Noise Isolating... by msturg29
- › 1MORE iBFree Bluetooth In-Ear Headphones by msturg29
- › Avantree Clari Air by msturg29
- › Wireless Bluetooth Earbuds Stereo Headphones, Ghostek Silencer... by msturg29
- › 1MORE MK802 Bluetooth Wireless Over-Ear Headphones with Apple iOS... by Hisoundfi
- › Focal Utopia by Currawong
- › HiLisening MaGaosi Newest High end Detachable Design K3 In-Ear HiFi... by Cinder
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear