Edited by Clayton SF - 3/23/13 at 9:30am
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Neutral Desktop Headphone AMP for Heir Audio 4.A CIEM? Last post on 8/20/12 at 7:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 4/5/16 at 2:45am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Govibe Peak Last post on 7/9/12 at 12:12am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp upgrade for AH-D5000 Last post on 7/2/12 at 4:45am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- The Beauty and the Beast... Woo WA2 vs WA22 Last post on 1/16/17 at 10:12pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Build/Accessories: The Earsonics SM3 is a triple balanced armature IEM, with one driver for the lows, one for the mids, and one for the treble region. the shell is clear acryllic on the...
Introduction – The X5 is perhaps the quintessential Fiio player, it was one of their first devices and also one of their most universally acclaimed. Fiio have come far since the unveiling of the...
Introduction FiiO X5-2 is the second generation of X5 DAPs (digital audio players) from FiiO. I owned a FiiO X5 for quite a while before buying X5-2 and I was...
Brainwavz is a company that should be well known by now to anyone who's familiar with Head-Fi. Known for their excellent build quality and reasonable prices, Brainwavz should always be on your...
Introduction I have been an enthusiastic headphone user for many MANY years now. My first set of serious headphones were the open-backed Sennheiser HD400 headphones. From what I remember about...
2359glenn | studio - Page 155post #2311 of 148343/23/13 at 9:29am
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #2312 of 148343/23/13 at 9:41amQuote:
Not everyone has the luxury you have C ;)
I haven't listened to that headphone yet, all I know is it looks so bad it's only to be used in the absolute dark
Good thing different people like different things. And are looks even important at all? (they are to me)
Anyway, have a good weekend everyone, I have a bottle of Glenmorangie 12 that is screaming for some attention
Edit. Btw, I found a huge stock of almost 200 C3G tubes. if anyone's interested (Do I hear a "group buy" request? )
Edited by Ultrainferno - 3/23/13 at 9:49ampost #2313 of 148343/23/13 at 10:18ampost #2314 of 148343/23/13 at 10:34amQuote:
No sorry but alota has and liked them a lot.
I hope David is attending the NY meet.Quote:
Is this any better?post #2315 of 148343/23/13 at 11:23ampost #2316 of 148343/23/13 at 11:38amQuote:
It's the drink, I know it has such a soothing effect............post #2317 of 148343/23/13 at 3:51pmpost #2318 of 148343/23/13 at 3:53pmQuote:
It sounded good with the hd800 and T1 and also the lcd 2 and 3 played well . Ideally OTL do better with high impedance cans rather than lowpost #2319 of 148343/23/13 at 3:54pmQuote:Originally Posted by Frank IQuote:
It sounded good with the hd800 and T1 and also the lcd 2 and 3 played well . Ideally OTL do better with high impedance cans rather than low
Iknow that part. But theres always exceptions to a rulepost #2320 of 148343/23/13 at 3:58pm
well the exception is that the planars were OK but Dminches said th AT3000anv had a slight hum and they are lower impedance than the lcd2 and the Grado is lower even still so not sure it would accomplish what you want it to,. We did not have Grado on hand and the only low impedance can tried were the lcd2 and lc3. Really sang with both the Beyer and the Sennheiser.post #2321 of 148343/23/13 at 4:00pmQuote:Originally Posted by Frank I
well the exception is that the planars were OK but Dminches said th AT3000anv had a slight hum and they are lower impedance than the lcd2 and the Grado is lower even still so not sure it would accomplish what you want it to,. We did not have Grado on hand and the only low impedance can tried were the lcd2 and lc3. Really sang with both the Beyer and the Sennheiser.
I may have to use my O2 then.. Maybe I'll see if I can get a hybrid. He said he'd be up to make one..post #2322 of 148343/23/13 at 4:05pmThread StarterQuote:
At one time, he tested a pair of 32 ohm Grado's on my amp when the output impedance was 49 ohms. Said it sounded fine. Since then, he lowered the output impedance of my amp to 21 ohms. I run Denon's at 25 ohms, HD650's at 300 ohms.post #2323 of 148343/23/13 at 4:14pmQuote:
I find my amp to perform very well with low impedance phones. If they are high sensitivity you might get some hum. There was just a whisper of it with my K701s, I tried my tv phones (JVC HARX900) and there was definitely hum there. Even then the JVCs sounded good, much better than they do on anything else I could play them on. But if you are picky about hum it is something to keep in mind.
OTL amps by their nature work better with high impedance loads, but this particular design has very good drive even with low impedance loads. On paper the K701 was never a good match for my amp but I thought they sounded amazing together, I actually wish more people could hear this I think even K701 haters would be surprised. Right up to the day they got blown up I never stopped being impressed.
The amp drives the 50ohm LCD-2s with finesse and authority too, no hum and no sense at all of them being underdamped or underpowered. The dynamics are amazing. I also (just a couple of days ago actually) decided to get a more traditional dancing partner for the OTL in the form of some 600 ohm Beyer DT880s. Even without break-in the combo already sounds good and it was improving by the hour as I was playing them last night.post #2324 of 148343/23/13 at 4:16pm
I run the D7000 at 25 ohms and the DT990 at 600 ohms on the OTL and both are incredible sounding. The Denons go way down deep. The Denons of the Deep! I am also using two GZ37 rectifiers on Glenn's mono blocks.post #2325 of 148343/23/13 at 4:18pmQuote:
Can you give me any more details? I certainly don't think we need that many but if the pricing is good it is worth looking into. It would also be good to know the production origin and maker (Siemens, Telefunken, ITT-Lorenz), some of these tubes are from the German Post lifetime buyout production run and some are military stock. In this case the military stock is the less desirable stock to have contrary to normal tube logic.
- 2359glenn | studio
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter) 59 seconds ago
- › USB Audio Recorder PRO (UAPP): 24- and 32-bit playback, ubiquitous... 1 minute ago
- › New Audeze LCD3 2 minutes ago
- › Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar... 2 minutes ago
- › Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384... 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 3 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 3 minutes ago
- › Bose QuietComfort 20 discussion thread 3 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 4 minutes ago
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by BillsonChang007
- › EarSonics SM3 Universal Fit IEM by mrstrangeguy
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by ryanjsoo
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Dobrescu George
- › Brainwavz B150 by crabdog
- › 1MORE1008 Earbud by Peddler
- › Cayin i5 by subguy812
- › Lotoo Paw Pico by twister6
- › Shanling UP Portable DAC/Headphone Amplifier AMP ES9018K2M+MAX97... by ngoshawk
- › PureSounds PS100-600 by BloodyPenguin
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear