- 6,665 Posts. Joined 1/2010
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Neutral Desktop Headphone AMP for Heir Audio 4.A CIEM? Last post on 8/20/12 at 7:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 4/5/16 at 2:45am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Govibe Peak Last post on 7/9/12 at 12:12am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp upgrade for AH-D5000 Last post on 7/2/12 at 4:45am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- The Beauty and the Beast... Woo WA2 vs WA22 Last post on 3/14/17 at 1:17am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Introduction Reviewer Introduction Product Introduction Technical Specifications Sound Quality Signature Overview Sound...
So I got the chance to try out the Aune M1S, and to my Surprise it was way more than I had anticipated or expected. My first impressions was an absolute shock! This thing punches way above it...
Greetings Head-fi! Today we are going to be taking a look at the Paco, a compact, attractive, and smartly priced earphone in Fischer Audio's Totem series of products. Fischer Audio isn't new to the...
Overview I purchased these when they first came out during Black Friday in 2016, when they were on sale for $100 CAD. Until these I had mostly spent all of my money on IEMs since they're a lot...
INTRODUCTION Pioneer really surprised me with the new release of the DJ HRM-6 Professional Studio Monitor Headphones. I've recently tried out seven headphones that are considered high end and...
2359glenn | studio - Page 95post #1411 of 1493812/14/12 at 2:46amPills taken. It's just that it gets on my nerves when the answers are clearly in the thread or on Google
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #1412 of 1493812/14/12 at 3:07amQuote:I understand that..but sometimes its easier to ask..as thread is so long! and it only needs a simple answer..and i didnt even know it was a rectifier how could i look that up in Google if i didnt even know that? On the pic i couldnt know it was a rectifier..i saw a big sexy tube only.and a cat...lolz
I am a computer specialist as hobby and built the most extreme watercooled pc's for myself and others...and sometimes i do get questions also that i think..geesh..check google people..its so easy...but when overthinkin it..i understand allthough it sometimes seems completely clear to me, to noobs it sounds like chinese..and in this situation i am the noob. but believe me i am onthe overrun lane..driving in uberspeed..before no time i will be up to speed about all whats tubes and amps.. I only need time and u guys and girls from tube-universe to guide me..
Edited by hifimanrookie - 12/14/12 at 3:10ampost #1413 of 1493812/14/12 at 4:09amQuote:Originally Posted by Xcalibur255
6BL7 test #2 - I thought maybe I could perk the sound up by running a more lively driver so I swapped out the Hytron for a mouse ear Tung Sol. It has better extension on both ends than the Hytron does. It ended up sounding worse though, and has heightened my appreciation for just how good the midrange is on the Hytron GTs. The organic and natural depth of the Hytron seems to shine through really well, and gives me the impression that the 6BL7 is adding little color of its own here judging by how different these two 6SN7 tubes sound in this test. With the Tung Sol the upper mids gained some dominance making everything sound thinner, but the lack of top end is still obvious. There is a "smallness" to the sound for lack of a better word, it screams "you're listening to a recording" rather than feeling like real music. Too little power is making it out due to the extremely high output impedance. I see the choice of output tubes on OTL amps is limited for good reason. Heck, the 6BL7 even has fairly low plate resistance for a typical triode too.
I think the base qualities of the 6BL7 are really good, but asking them to perform output tube duties in this circuit is asking too much of them it seems. On an interesting note I will miss the fact that the amp is utterly dead silent with these tubes in the output stage, there is zero background noise. You cannot tell it is even on until music starts playing. It's going to take me a few days to get used to the wonky noises the 5998 makes again. I'd love to hear an affordable transformer coupled amp based around the 6BL7 someday.
Also, they didn't blow up! I'm guessing they are at or over their ratings here but the tubes have been very well behaved while I was experimenting.
On a somewhat unrelated note, Glenn do you think the 5687 would make a good 6SN7 substitute? I see people selling adapters for this on eBay and the specs on the tube seem quite suitable for the most part.
The 5687 looks like a good sub for the 6SN7 the curves look good how it sounds I have no idea. I can make you a adapter if you want?
Actually the 6BL7 wasn't run to hard it only had 120 volts across it so it's current wasn't that high. If you had 300 to 600 ohm headphones
your test would have come out different. After I build the next one of these amps I will try them with the HD655s and HD800s 300 ohm.
Also you can try the 6BX7 almost the same as a 6BL7 but with a gain of 10 instead of 16 also can be gotten for cheep.
The 6BL7 sounds fantastic in a transformer output amp in push pullpost #1414 of 1493812/14/12 at 5:16amQuote:
She is a spry 8! Clean living and lots of catnip....
Sorry though...No loaner cat's are currently available. I don't need the payback!post #1415 of 1493812/14/12 at 5:18amQuote:
Thanks SO. The mighty 596 is a sweet piece of glass. I had to drive over 450 miles yesterday and I almost didn't go to bed the sound was so sweet....post #1416 of 1493812/14/12 at 5:21amQuote:Originally Posted by Ultrainferno
You really do have a Bratwürst fixation, don't you
Silent One, a Decware, Glenn amp, Bratwürst & Beer meet in Cali would convince me to come over for sure.
Do you think airport customs would mind me bringing dozens of tubes for you guys? Where's Clayton's back pack? ;)
I'm hungry now!
hmmm...checking the frequent flyer points for the freebie to Cali.......We may have to import Brats to Cali, not sure if they have the real ones there.post #1417 of 1493812/14/12 at 6:29amQuote:Originally Posted by hifimanrookie
Relax mr.! I only have been in this thread since a month or so..so no i didnt read all the 1404 posts before these..and am not as experienced as u ultrainferno.i started with tubing only 2 Months ago! .but am very curious..so its not bad to ask right? So take a relax pill.
I don't mind answering questions asked before.
The sad thing is you're becoming an addict too fast, watch it!!!!!!!!!Quote:
Well I'll try a bit harder, what about a nice pair NIB ECC32's?post #1418 of 1493812/14/12 at 6:36ampost #1419 of 1493812/14/12 at 6:45ampost #1420 of 1493812/14/12 at 8:07amQuote:Is that so? I only have 6 pairs of tubes on their way to me right now...thats not an addiction right?
Edited by hifimanrookie - 12/14/12 at 8:13ampost #1421 of 1493812/14/12 at 8:11amDamn..that kittycat is becoming popular..be carefull its not going to be catnapped soon by some greek or some bratwurst ganger..if i were u i would get urself a bear or something from the forest as bodyguard for the kittycat ..just to be sure or buy a vintage security system based on tubes..am sure u have enough tubes laying around for that..hehehe
Edited by hifimanrookie - 12/14/12 at 8:15ampost #1422 of 1493812/14/12 at 9:31amQuote:Originally Posted by hifimanrookie
Damn..that kittycat is becoming popular..be carefull its not going to be catnapped soon by some greek or some bratwurst ganger..if i were u i would get urself a bear or something from the forest as bodyguard for the kittycat ..just to be sure or buy a vintage security system based on tubes..am sure u have enough tubes laying around for that..hehehe
We have bears here...They take the bird feeders down if we do not take them in at night. Wolves too, but more Coyotes. Lot's of deer....We have about 8 inches of snow on the ground now so Winter is here until late April. Time to wax up the CC Ski's!post #1423 of 1493812/14/12 at 9:49am
I just received a bunch of adapters from Glenn. I cannot tell you how well built these are. I can only imagine when one of his amps feels like, let alone sounds like.
Thanks Glenn.post #1424 of 1493812/14/12 at 9:53ampost #1425 of 1493812/14/12 at 9:55amQuote:
6 pairs already, I think you need counselling..........
It's the first step...........Quote:
So you have time to evaluate the 596 and tell us what you think of it!
We expect a report by Sunday night, or else.................the bears...............
- 2359glenn | studio
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Cowon Plenue D 4 seconds ago
- › Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (advanced wireless & microSD module for... 20 seconds ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 44 seconds ago
- › V-MODA Crossfade 2 Wireless - We Discuss It With Val Kolton -... 1 minute ago
- › ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF 2 minutes ago
- › Minneapolis Meet? 2 minutes ago
- › VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Stockfisch Sennheiser SACD - SHIPPING INCLUDED 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser GSX 1000 / 1200 Impressions 5 minutes ago
- › DN-1000 replacements? 6 minutes ago
- › SONY Walkman A series NW-A35 (R) (16GB) (Sina bar Red) by meringo
- › Custom Art Harmony 8.2 by Ike1985
- › AUNE M1S 32BIT/384KHZ DSD128 3.5MM/2.5MM BALANCED HIFI AUDIOPHILE... by Hypespazm
- › Fischer Audio Totem Paco by B9Scrambler
- › Sennheiser HD 598 Cs by peaches
- › Pioneer DJ HRM-6 Professional Studio Monitor Headphones by ILIRS CORNER
- › RHA CL1 Ceramic by ngoshawk
- › RHA Dacamp L1 by ngoshawk
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by kevingzw
- › thinksound On2 wood on-ear monitor headphone (natural black) by crabdog
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear