- 6,486 Posts. Joined 1/2010
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Neutral Desktop Headphone AMP for Heir Audio 4.A CIEM? Last post on 8/20/12 at 7:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 4/5/16 at 2:45am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Govibe Peak Last post on 7/9/12 at 12:12am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp upgrade for AH-D5000 Last post on 7/2/12 at 4:45am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- The Beauty and the Beast... Woo WA2 vs WA22 Last post on 7/21/15 at 11:27am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
When these went on sale at massdrop I thought I was going to put one over on the man and get some really good audiophile grade headphones for $100, sadly that's not what I got when the package...
This little DAC punches way way way above its weight. I fell deep into the audiophile hole about a month ago, waiting for our 2nd son to be born. If I could be so bold, I went through a...
I love the Beyerdynamic dt770 250 Ohms. After searching high and low for a closed back headphone I fell upon these knowing that I would carry an amp. With the Cayin C5 - High gain at about 2.5...
As a music lover who prefers a portable means of listening to music, you might eventually discover that your device can't provide enough power for your IEMs, headphones, or earphones to reach...
Greetings Head-fi! Today we are going to be checking out the Mixcder ShareMe Pro, a Bluetooth headphone created with the aim of bringing listeners together. I was first introduced to...
- Headphone Impedance
2359glenn | studio - Page 95
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
I am a computer specialist as hobby and built the most extreme watercooled pc's for myself and others...and sometimes i do get questions also that i think..geesh..check google people..its so easy...but when overthinkin it..i understand allthough it sometimes seems completely clear to me, to noobs it sounds like chinese..and in this situation i am the noob. but believe me i am onthe overrun lane..driving in uberspeed..before no time i will be up to speed about all whats tubes and amps.. I only need time and u guys and girls from tube-universe to guide me..
Edited by hifimanrookie - 12/14/12 at 3:10am
6BL7 test #2 - I thought maybe I could perk the sound up by running a more lively driver so I swapped out the Hytron for a mouse ear Tung Sol. It has better extension on both ends than the Hytron does. It ended up sounding worse though, and has heightened my appreciation for just how good the midrange is on the Hytron GTs. The organic and natural depth of the Hytron seems to shine through really well, and gives me the impression that the 6BL7 is adding little color of its own here judging by how different these two 6SN7 tubes sound in this test. With the Tung Sol the upper mids gained some dominance making everything sound thinner, but the lack of top end is still obvious. There is a "smallness" to the sound for lack of a better word, it screams "you're listening to a recording" rather than feeling like real music. Too little power is making it out due to the extremely high output impedance. I see the choice of output tubes on OTL amps is limited for good reason. Heck, the 6BL7 even has fairly low plate resistance for a typical triode too.
I think the base qualities of the 6BL7 are really good, but asking them to perform output tube duties in this circuit is asking too much of them it seems. On an interesting note I will miss the fact that the amp is utterly dead silent with these tubes in the output stage, there is zero background noise. You cannot tell it is even on until music starts playing. It's going to take me a few days to get used to the wonky noises the 5998 makes again. I'd love to hear an affordable transformer coupled amp based around the 6BL7 someday.
Also, they didn't blow up! I'm guessing they are at or over their ratings here but the tubes have been very well behaved while I was experimenting.
On a somewhat unrelated note, Glenn do you think the 5687 would make a good 6SN7 substitute? I see people selling adapters for this on eBay and the specs on the tube seem quite suitable for the most part.
The 5687 looks like a good sub for the 6SN7 the curves look good how it sounds I have no idea. I can make you a adapter if you want?
Actually the 6BL7 wasn't run to hard it only had 120 volts across it so it's current wasn't that high. If you had 300 to 600 ohm headphones
your test would have come out different. After I build the next one of these amps I will try them with the HD655s and HD800s 300 ohm.
Also you can try the 6BX7 almost the same as a 6BL7 but with a gain of 10 instead of 16 also can be gotten for cheep.
The 6BL7 sounds fantastic in a transformer output amp in push pull
She is a spry 8! Clean living and lots of catnip....
Sorry though...No loaner cat's are currently available. I don't need the payback!
Thanks SO. The mighty 596 is a sweet piece of glass. I had to drive over 450 miles yesterday and I almost didn't go to bed the sound was so sweet....
You really do have a Bratwürst fixation, don't you
Silent One, a Decware, Glenn amp, Bratwürst & Beer meet in Cali would convince me to come over for sure.
Do you think airport customs would mind me bringing dozens of tubes for you guys? Where's Clayton's back pack? ;)
I'm hungry now!
hmmm...checking the frequent flyer points for the freebie to Cali.......We may have to import Brats to Cali, not sure if they have the real ones there.
Relax mr.! I only have been in this thread since a month or so..so no i didnt read all the 1404 posts before these..and am not as experienced as u ultrainferno.i started with tubing only 2 Months ago! .but am very curious..so its not bad to ask right? So take a relax pill.
I don't mind answering questions asked before.
The sad thing is you're becoming an addict too fast, watch it!!!!!!!!!
Well I'll try a bit harder, what about a nice pair NIB ECC32's?
Edited by hifimanrookie - 12/14/12 at 8:13am
Edited by hifimanrookie - 12/14/12 at 8:15am
Damn..that kittycat is becoming popular..be carefull its not going to be catnapped soon by some greek or some bratwurst ganger..if i were u i would get urself a bear or something from the forest as bodyguard for the kittycat ..just to be sure or buy a vintage security system based on tubes..am sure u have enough tubes laying around for that..hehehe
We have bears here...They take the bird feeders down if we do not take them in at night. Wolves too, but more Coyotes. Lot's of deer....We have about 8 inches of snow on the ground now so Winter is here until late April. Time to wax up the CC Ski's!
I just received a bunch of adapters from Glenn. I cannot tell you how well built these are. I can only imagine when one of his amps feels like, let alone sounds like.
6 pairs already, I think you need counselling..........
It's the first step...........
So you have time to evaluate the 596 and tell us what you think of it!
We expect a report by Sunday night, or else.................the bears...............
- 2359glenn | studio
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Cowon Plenue S - 3 months old 25 seconds ago
- › The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From... 1 minute ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 2 minutes ago
- › Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM... 2 minutes ago
- › IBasso Audio IT03 3 minutes ago
- › FiiO X1 II (2nd Gen) w/ Bluetooth! 3 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 3 minutes ago
- › Focal Utopia (& a little Elear) impressions and discussion 3 minutes ago
- › XDuoo XD-05 Portable Dac/Amp Introduction - Impressions 4 minutes ago
- › Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar... 5 minutes ago
- › Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE350 by reikoshea
- › Hifime Sabre 9018 USB DAC by Rish732
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by Rish732
- › FiiO A1 Micro Headphone Amplifier by chef8489
- › Over Ear Headphones，Mixcder ShareMe Pro Bluetooth 4.1 Stereo HiFi... by B9Scrambler
- › DIGNIS LAETUS case for Chord Electronics Mojo by HiFiChris
- › Burson Audio Supreme Sound Opamp V5i by cleg
- › Final F7200 by Takeanidea
- › Denon Music Maniac In-Ear Headphones (AH-C250) by redeyeguy
- › RHA T20 by RaoulRutnam
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...