Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › 2359glenn | studio
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2359glenn | studio - Page 88

post #1306 of 10313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrainferno View Post

 

Yeah, What driver tube type does Glenn use normally actually?

What Do I use or what can the amp use? It can use some with adapters all of these and more. The power transformer has 5amps reserve so many tubes can be tried without worry.

6SN7

6F8G

7N7

7AF7

12SN7

ECC32

ECC33

6H12C

1633

13D1

B65

post #1307 of 10313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post

 

Let us know when you get that resolved (DAC/driver issue). To prevent frustration, you should momentarily walk away and do something else. Like, say.......tongue_smile.gif flushing your fountain pen. In only 10 minutes, you'll be back and all over that Vista thang!!!

 

 

I fixed it shortly before bedtime, and yes, I shall flush the pen!

post #1308 of 10313
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2359glenn View Post

What Do I use or what can the amp use? It can use some with adapters all of these and more. The power transformer has 5amps reserve so many tubes can be tried without worry.
6SN7
6F8G
7N7
7AF7
12SN7
ECC32
ECC33
6H12C
1633
13D1
B65

If only there were some choices....wink.gif
post #1309 of 10313

I will add:

 

1578

1579

6SL7

ECC34

ECC35

13D2

QB65

QA2408

post #1310 of 10313
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosgr63 View Post

I will add:

 

1578

1579

6SL7

ECC34

ECC35

13D2

QB65

QA2408

I have never tried these I do know that the 6SL7 will work maybe with to much gain

post #1311 of 10313

The 6SL7 sounds good in my system with 6AS7G's, never tried it with 5998's yet.

 

Apart from this, the 1579, ECC34 and ECC35 the others are similar to 6SN7.

post #1312 of 10313

The ECC35s would suffer from the same excessive gain that the 6SL7s produce.

 

There aren't many amps or DACs that can use both 6SN7s and 6SL7s,

post #1313 of 10313

You can also try a 6BL7 You can ask xcalibur255 how it sounds also SO may have tried it it does have less gain though

post #1314 of 10313
Quote:
Originally Posted by dminches View Post

The ECC35s would suffer from the same excessive gain that the 6SL7s produce.

 

There aren't many amps or DACs that can use both 6SN7s and 6SL7s,

 

Actually any 6SN7 amp that has a plate voltage less than 240v can use the 6SL7, Glenn can correct me on this.

 

BTW the BA sounds great with the ECC35, even though it's a 6SN7 amp.

post #1315 of 10313
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosgr63 View Post

 

Actually any 6SN7 amp that has a plate voltage less than 240v can use the 6SL7, Glenn can correct me on this.

 

BTW the BA sounds great with the ECC35, even though it's a 6SN7 amp.

 

If someone can further explain this I would appreciate it. How do I know the plate voltage of my amp is?

post #1316 of 10313
Thread Starter 

(Plate voltage) I'd like to learn this as well. Since it won't blow anything up, I think I'll try one...soon.

post #1317 of 10313
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2359glenn View Post

You can also try a 6BL7 You can ask xcalibur255 how it sounds also SO may have tried it it does have less gain though

 

If memory serves, we had two different experiences in two different states. He had the "X" mod and I didn't. I thought the presentation the tube offered was rather pedestrian and passed on it. With a revised amp, maybe I'll revisit it.

post #1318 of 10313
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosgr63 View Post

 

Actually any 6SN7 amp that has a plate voltage less than 240v can use the 6SL7, Glenn can correct me on this.

 

BTW the BA sounds great with the ECC35, even though it's a 6SN7 amp.

I thought they had a 250V spec just like a 6SN7 does?  Even if the nominal voltage was 240V it wouldn't hurt the tube to be over by that little bit I would think, it would just shorten the lifespan a bit maybe?

post #1319 of 10313
Quote:
Originally Posted by dminches View Post

 

If someone can further explain this I would appreciate it. How do I know the plate voltage of my amp is?

I'll try to chime in here with my limited understanding.

 

I think the way to know with certainly what the B+ (plate voltage) of an amp is would be to actually measure it.  This is a fixed value that is determined by the power supply design of the amp.  There is usually some loss (called voltage sag or drop) that happens in the rectifier tube which gets accounted for in the overall design, and the intent is to arrive at a specific voltage that the tube in question needs to be ideally biased.  Technically you can run a tube over or under its nominal plate voltage, with some consequences for doing the former, but I think most designers shoot for whatever the nominal value is as specified in the tube data sheet.  Whatever value results in the most linear operation without exceeding maximum values is ideal.

 

So we get various "drop in" substitute tubes because their pin out is the same as the one originally designed for the amp, they want a plate voltage that is the same or similar to the original tube, and the other electrical parameters are close enough that the circuit still behaves as it was designed to. 

post #1320 of 10313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post

 

If memory serves, we had two different experiences in two different states. He had the "X" mod and I didn't. I thought the presentation the tube offered was rather pedestrian and passed on it. With a revised amp, maybe I'll revisit it.

I'd be happy to try it again if anybody would like.  My memory of the tube was that it was very good at some things and not so good at others, overall being too much of a compromise to use on a daily basis.  I recall the bass quality being terrific and the detail good but the imaging was wonky and flat.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › 2359glenn | studio