or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › 2359glenn | studio
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2359glenn | studio - Page 752

post #11266 of 14442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eee Pee View Post

Judging by the size of the plastic dip cups, those are not small legs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlwind View Post

Look like king crab to me....yummy

Have a nice trip, Glenn

Yes, it is a king crab legs from Bob Chinn's. A lilttle more healthier meal tonight, NOT

post #11267 of 14442
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc9394 View Post



Yes, it is a king crab legs from Bob Chinn's. A lilttle more healthier meal tonight, NOT

I would literary kill for a bite of that steak.   

post #11268 of 14442
.
Edited by MoatsArt - 4/13/15 at 4:48pm
post #11269 of 14442

.


Edited by MoatsArt - 4/13/15 at 4:48pm
post #11270 of 14442

I'm doing another group buy for the Lafigaro 339 guys, this time its RCA branded, Tung-Sol made 6SJ7(wgt) tubes with the rare mesh plates.

I have done the exact same one last year already

 

 

 

5 pairs are already reserved for the new sale. A pair is 80€ (+shipping)

 

Let me know if anyone wants a pair, I'll contact my seller in a few days.

post #11271 of 14442

.


Edited by MoatsArt - 4/13/15 at 4:49pm
post #11272 of 14442

I don't think they do, just don't want to let my Glenn friends out of the group buy

post #11273 of 14442

.


Edited by MoatsArt - 4/13/15 at 4:49pm
post #11274 of 14442

.


Edited by MoatsArt - 4/13/15 at 4:49pm
post #11275 of 14442

I got my first pair of globe 45s for my amp.  Just got them in now.  I only listened for about 10 seconds to make sure I was getting sound in both channels.  In that 10 seconds my only impressions was that the bass was much more flabby and uncontrolled than I'm used to.  We will see what they sound like after cooking for a while.  One of them came on bias with a *lot* less current draw than the other one too, hopefully that sorts itself out in time otherwise they won't work well as a pair.

post #11276 of 14442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcalibur255 View Post
 

I got my first pair of globe 45s for my amp.  Just got them in now.  I only listened for about 10 seconds to make sure I was getting sound in both channels.  In that 10 seconds my only impressions was that the bass was much more flabby and uncontrolled than I'm used to.  We will see what they sound like after cooking for a while.  One of them came on bias with a *lot* less current draw than the other one too, hopefully that sorts itself out in time otherwise they won't work well as a pair.

I got my ST glass 45 plenty but like Glenn once said the good ones are the globes.  I saw a few mesh type 45 but those are crazy expensives.

post #11277 of 14442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neogeo333 View Post
 

I got my ST glass 45 plenty but like Glenn once said the good ones are the globes.  I saw a few mesh type 45 but those are crazy expensives.


Yeah I don't have any dreams of meshplate 45s.  These are KenRad UX245s.  I was pretty nervous buying them, I honestly feel like you are gambling with long odds buying these 80 year old tubes.  It's actually kind of hard to get good ones.  It's easy to get *working* ones but not necessarily good ones.  I'm crossing my fingers I didn't waste a bunch of money.  If I did them I'm not going to gamble on vintage tubes anymore and just get some EMLs.  I hear both good and bad about most EML tubes but every single person who has talked about their 45 seems to really like it.

 

I wandered into the Eddie Current 4-45 thread hoping to find some juicy 45 tube rolling talk, but there is a surprising lack of it there.  And a seemingly general opinion that all 45s sound more or less the same which surprises me even more.  I've found a pretty wide range of different sounds in the different types of 45 ST tubes I have tried.  The difference was readily apparent to me.

post #11278 of 14442

I for one would like to get my hands on a 45 amp asap.  Been doing some reading and from what I've seen most get into the 45 game with a Yamamoto or a Korneff clone.  In the headphone dept there  is the EC 4-45.  I got a pair of Tango irons pick for a SE build but still undecided on what kind of design to use.  Hope after my 300b from Glenn is done and when funds are available Glenn can come up with a design.  Planning to use an RGN1064 as rec and maybe a c3g or c3m as the Yamamoto.  Most people say that after you get used to the 45 signature sound its hard to listen to other tubes.  Specially for vocals and jazz music.  

 

I too notice that the EML people say that its either love it or hate it.  Most will stick to the globe ones.  I got lucky 2 years ago on scoring 5 globes ones that measure high and 2 even still have a blue-ish glow.  

post #11279 of 14442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neogeo333 View Post
 

I for one would like to get my hands on a 45 amp asap.  Been doing some reading and from what I've seen most get into the 45 game with a Yamamoto or a Korneff clone.  In the headphone dept there  is the EC 4-45.  I got a pair of Tango irons pick for a SE build but still undecided on what kind of design to use.  Hope after my 300b from Glenn is done and when funds are available Glenn can come up with a design.  Planning to use an RGN1064 as rec and maybe a c3g or c3m as the Yamamoto.  Most people say that after you get used to the 45 signature sound its hard to listen to other tubes.  Specially for vocals and jazz music.  

 

I too notice that the EML people say that its either love it or hate it.  Most will stick to the globe ones.  I got lucky 2 years ago on scoring 5 globes ones that measure high and 2 even still have a blue-ish glow.  

 

I've found that it can ruin you for other transformer coupled tube amps.  The 45 is about as good as it gets really amongst designs that require an output transformer; the tone..... the transparency...... the holographic imaging....... it just sounds very very right.

 

But I've found my OTL coexists alongside my 45 amp very nicely because there is just something inherently different in the presentation between amps that have output transformers and ones that don't.  Nice to be able to choose either at a whim.

 

There are limitations though.  One of the reasons why my 45 is the only amp of its kind made by Glenn is because of the drive limitations.  1.6W is usually enough, but not always, and the amp runs out of voltage on higher impedance loads so that takes stuff like the HD800 and Beyer T1 off the table completely.  You could get around it with a custom made OPT that had dual secondaries, or a tertiary that feed back in to make the output stage impedance adaptable, but it means more complication and more money.  My amp was expensive as it was.  Glenn likes to do the 300B because it is more flexible all around, more power, more options.  I've always wanted to hear David's amp to see how it compares to mine.  I'm sure neither is better than the other, just different standout strengths.  Glenn tried to talk me into 300B as well, but I was dead set on the 45.  Just had this gut feeling you know?

post #11280 of 14442

On a side note, things are looking optimistic for the globes.  I'm underbiasing them a bit right now to be on the safe side, but even at 30mA they are sounding very nice now that they have been on a few hours.  The bass control isn't quite as good as my favorite ST 45 tubes, but these Ken Rads image a little better and pick up a bit more fine detail in the midrange.  Which is really saying something on a system that is already really good at those things.  I really like the treble and midrange presentation too, very smooth and open but just a bit honey dipped.  I think these may actually be made by Ken Rad.  I had assumed they were a re-brand because I wasn't aware of Ken Rad being a manufacturer of this particular tube, but these have the Ken Rad house sound in terms of tone, just tempered by the inherent balance and even handedness of the 45 sound in general.

 

I'm crossing my fingers they bias up about the same when I power them on again tomorrow.  If that happens then I'm good to go.  Can't wait to hear what they sound like running at 34 or 36mA.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › 2359glenn | studio