Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Rockit Sounds R-50 Review/Impressions/Appreciation
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rockit Sounds R-50 Review/Impressions/Appreciation - Page 41

post #601 of 1161

On the other hand I can totally see these can seem like way too bright to someone used to the typical midbass-oriented (usually cheaper) earphones. I mean sure, they're not exactly bass monsters by any stretch of the imagination :) And in comparison to, say, Fischer Tandem which are kinda my favorites, it's indeed like night and day (literally, if we stay with the dark/bright sound description).

 

Sharp as it is, I actually find the sound surprisingly cozy.

post #602 of 1161

Techno Kid:

 

You have made an effort to tell as many people as you can, that the R-50 sound quality is significantly under priced for $120, as compared to other IEMs.  What would be the right price for these, taking into account other offers?

post #603 of 1161
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto01 View Post

Techno Kid:

 

You have made an effort to tell as many people as you can, that the R-50 sound quality is significantly under priced for $120, as compared to other IEMs.  What would be the right price for these, taking into account other offers?

 

Based on build quality, sound quality and the fact its only a TWFK based IEM if they sold them for what the GR01 goes for at around $200 I think its still well worth it.  Now just based on the sound quality the R-50 can compete with IEM's cost $300 or imo.

post #604 of 1161

I don't want to spoil the fun, but I'm not all that hyped for them. The sound is great, no doubt in my mind about that, although not everyone will be so psyched about the dry sound signature (especially bass). But yeah, sound = cool.

 

What I have issues with: build quality - while not completely bad, I'd be really careful not to step on these, the plastics don't seem trustworthy. Also I don't know how long will the memory wires actually last - one side on mine is more "loose" than the other. I'm not sure how many loopings around ones ear they will last. Maybe they're built very good inside, but from the outside I don't trust them so much.

 

Also, not comfortable for my ears. The part where the memory wire sticks out pushes into the outside of my ear. It's painful after an hour or so and that's with the silicone covers. Of course this is individual but I think it's IEM design 101 to be rather safe then sorry and make the phones stick out more rather than risking pushing into the skin.

 

And the standard tips are terrible mad.gif Seriously. They're made of rougher, harder material which irritates the ear. They even make the sound worse, of course that might be psychological since they're not comfy.

 

Bottom line, sound is great, but the rest is mediocre IMHO. Still good overall value for the price, but if I didn't have some extra tips, they'd be for sale faster than I can sneeze, great sound or not. If I decide to keep them in the end, I may try some modding or even recabling.

post #605 of 1161
Thread Starter 

First off if your going to step on any IEM there's a pretty good chance they would brake or be damaged so I don't know what's up with that statement.

 

The build quality is actually quite good, yes its plastic and so are the $400 W4, UE900 along with others.  The silicone cover on them not only helps with comfort but also protects them from braking to.  Personally I think they have one of the better memory wires thats I've tried and they're much better than the FT10.  Lastly plenty of IEM's come with tips that aren't great and really I could careless about the tips most people have plenty laying around.

 

For an IEM that costs $120 to sound as good as the R-50 does and imo is also very comfortable (I don't see why people find them uncomfortable really, they're tiny and weigh nothing) and has a good build quality I don't see much to complain about.

post #606 of 1161

I'm thinking these earphones are a love/hate thing. It probably boils down to whether you find them comfy or not. If they don't fit into ones ears (such as mine), then the R50 definitely isn't a 'soulmate earphone'. If they fit well, well you don't want to put them down. I find them to be a pain in the ... ear.

 

Edit: BTW regardless what I wrote above, I'm still amazed by the sound quality we can get these days so cheaply.


Edited by PMAP - 11/3/12 at 4:47am
post #607 of 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMAP View Post

I don't want to spoil the fun, but I'm not all that hyped for them. The sound is great, no doubt in my mind about that, although not everyone will be so psyched about the dry sound signature (especially bass). But yeah, sound = cool.

 

What I have issues with: build quality - while not completely bad, I'd be really careful not to step on these, the plastics don't seem trustworthy. Also I don't know how long will the memory wires actually last - one side on mine is more "loose" than the other. I'm not sure how many loopings around ones ear they will last. Maybe they're built very good inside, but from the outside I don't trust them so much.

 

Also, not comfortable for my ears. The part where the memory wire sticks out pushes into the outside of my ear. It's painful after an hour or so and that's with the silicone covers. Of course this is individual but I think it's IEM design 101 to be rather safe then sorry and make the phones stick out more rather than risking pushing into the skin.

 

And the standard tips are terrible mad.gif Seriously. They're made of rougher, harder material which irritates the ear. They even make the sound worse, of course that might be psychological since they're not comfy.

 

Bottom line, sound is great, but the rest is mediocre IMHO. Still good overall value for the price, but if I didn't have some extra tips, they'd be for sale faster than I can sneeze, great sound or not. If I decide to keep them in the end, I may try some modding or even recabling.

 

Braided cables make the R-50 stronger than they look.  The memory wires on mine, do not look or feel flimsy at all.  Having to use non stock tips has a higher probability with IEMs, than getting a very good fit and comfort with the stock tips.

 

The chances of having fit issues are much higher for over the ear IEMs, than for straight down IEMs.  In ear and around ear fit issues happen with most, if not all IEMs.  For example, I have read fit issues comments online on the GR07, TF10 and EPH-100.  I wear my R-50 straight down.  Comfort is much higher that way.  I just have to use the right earphone on the left ear and viceversa.  Have you tried doing that?

 

Now, there is no way around when it comes to sound flaws.  If sound is great on your R-50 as you wrote, then you got it made with the R-50.  I like a lot of bass in my music.  But, there is a price to pay for getting overabundant bass.  The mids and highs lose sharpness and get a cheap tonality, as bass is increased.  I have greatly enjoyed my abundant bass IEMs.  They have also made me appreciate the sound quality of the R-50.  The R-50 do not have any sound flaws and clinically, there is neither too little, nor too much of anything.  They are right.  If you listen to other headphones/IEMs where bass is lacking, like the Grado SR80, and others where bass is boosted, you will realize that the bass, mids and highs are right in the R-50.  That does not mean that you have to like them.  When it comes to sound enjoyment where people's tastes are involved, there is an undeniable truth:   A is better than B, B is better than C, and C is better than A.  You can count on that. 

post #608 of 1161

One thing that I have found out regarding sound quality, is that my ears get used to the sound signature of the headphones/IEMs as I listen to them.  When switching to the R-50 from bass heavy earphones, the R-50 sound bright, flat and lack bass.  After several hours of ear burn in, the bass is good with great quality, the mids are rich and not bright anymore, the highs have great quality and the soundstage is good, too.  Then, when I have to go back to the previous earphones, the bass sounds impressive, the mids sound quite dark and the both the mids and the highs sound cheap.

 

Here is my review on the R-50:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/600093/rockit-sounds-r-50-review-impressions-appreciation/435#post_8595847

post #609 of 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto01 View Post
In ear and around ear fit issues happen with most, if not all IEMs.

True. I'm not a fan of over-the-ear myself. I understand it's science to design good IEMs considering how complex a human ear is, but still. Take MEE A151 for example, which are my favorites for outside use, although they're not that good (I thought R-50 will replace them for outside). You can wear them any way you want: cable down, up or inbetween, shallow fit, deep fit, whatever. Also they're built a ton better (e.g. no mould artifacts) Also funny: I use A151 tips on R50 - they're the same design, but the material is different. A151 tips are made of the typical cheap black silicon which is softer. That said, even A151's design is not perfect for me, it gives me the 'stuffed ear' feeling. Still, put the R50's driver into a better shell, change the tips and the whole thing jumps up maybe $10 (more like $1) in price while $100 further in value.

 

Anyway I'm just bitter because the R50 just lies here on my desk and I know how great it sounds but I just can't force myself to put them in my ears again. (Also I have flu. It sucks.)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto01 View Post
I just have to use the right earphone on the left ear and viceversa.  Have you tried doing that?

No... My audio sources don't allow channel swapping. Funny idea though, I know some people do that with over-the-ear phones. Why don't the manufacturers take a hint and produce reversed versions? Many have a ton of color options, or design variations, but almost never create some useful option like L-jack/I-jack or over-the-ear/cable-down.

 

Ah well. My search continues.

post #610 of 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMAP View Post

True. I'm not a fan of over-the-ear myself. I understand it's science to design good IEMs considering how complex a human ear is, but still. Take MEE A151 for example, which are my favorites for outside use, although they're not that good (I thought R-50 will replace them for outside). You can wear them any way you want: cable down, up or inbetween, shallow fit, deep fit, whatever. Also they're built a ton better (e.g. no mould artifacts) Also funny: I use A151 tips on R50 - they're the same design, but the material is different. A151 tips are made of the typical cheap black silicon which is softer. That said, even A151's design is not perfect for me, it gives me the 'stuffed ear' feeling. Still, put the R50's driver into a better shell, change the tips and the whole thing jumps up maybe $10 (more like $1) in price while $100 further in value.

 

I agree. The design and accessory packaging don't match the quality of the sound. Simply because of the crappy tips, I would not recommend these to an IEM newbie looking for better sound coming from Skullcandy or something cheap. I have the A161s, and those are way better in terms of overall design and accessories. What's it going to cost them to improve on that? $5? 

 

So it's a good "concept" IEM because of the SQ for serious IEM enthusiasts, but not good for general consumers. 

post #611 of 1161
Originally Posted by Alberto01 View Post
I just have to use the right earphone on the left ear and viceversa.  Have you tried doing that?

No... My audio sources don't allow channel swapping. Funny idea though, I know some people do that with over-the-ear phones. Why don't the manufacturers take a hint and produce reversed versions? Many have a ton of color options, or design variations, but almost never create some useful option like L-jack/I-jack or over-the-ear/cable-down.

 

Ah well. My search continues.

What??!!  All that I am saying here is that instead of inserting the right housing in the right ear, just insert it into the left ear.  Also, instead of inserting the left housing in the left ear, just insert it into the right ear.  You have to do this in order for ergonomics to work if you are going to wear the R-50 straight down.  The reason is obvious.  The nozzle is not straight in its connection to the housing, but it is angled for over the ear use.  You keep the same angle when wearing the R-50 straight down, if you just switch sides.  I do not see why an audio source would not allow for this be done.  You will just get the sound from the right channel on the left ear and the left channel on the right ear.

post #612 of 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto01 View Post
You will just get the sound from the right channel on the left ear and the left channel on the right ear.

That's exactly what I don't want, thus my comment about channel swapping. I rather keep the music intact, I mean different channels is why we have stereo in the first place.

 

But if I ever decide to keep and recable the R50, I might have the shells swapped to wear them cable-down etysmile.gif

post #613 of 1161

just listened to the R-50 after a month of being in love with EQ-5..

 

First impressions: sounded too bright, and thin..where's the bass gone? frown.gif

 

After 10 minutes: L3000.gif after 5 more minutes confused_face_2.gif why THE hell did i spend 210$ on the EQ5???

 

then i switch to the EQ 5, then the soundstage just spread out, the details in mids just jumped forward and bass gained body..

 

these phones are complement each other so perfectly..

 

I use Ipod classic, with a LOD.. and i'll say that E-11 is a must for both these phones.. especially R-50.

post #614 of 1161
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prashanth R View Post

just listened to the R-50 after a month of being in love with EQ-5..

 

First impressions: sounded too bright, and thin..where's the bass gone? frown.gif

 

After 10 minutes: L3000.gif after 5 more minutes confused_face_2.gif why THE hell did i spend 210$ on the EQ5???

 

then i switch to the EQ 5, then the soundstage just spread out, the details in mids just jumped forward and bass gained body..

 

these phones are complement each other so perfectly..

 

I use Ipod classic, with a LOD.. and i'll say that E-11 is a must for both these phones.. especially R-50.

 

 

I did the same thing and thought the same thing you did which is really funny to me.  Both are great and your right in that they complement each other very well, I was listening to the R-50 Friday all day and I still love them.

post #615 of 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prashanth R View Post

just listened to the R-50 after a month of being in love with EQ-5..

 

First impressions: sounded too bright, and thin..where's the bass gone? frown.gif

 

After 10 minutes: L3000.gif after 5 more minutes confused_face_2.gif why THE hell did i spend 210$ on the EQ5???

 

then i switch to the EQ 5, then the soundstage just spread out, the details in mids just jumped forward and bass gained body..

 

these phones are complement each other so perfectly..

 

I use Ipod classic, with a LOD.. and i'll say that E-11 is a must for both these phones.. especially R-50.


May be I do need an amp to bright these ! Im experiencing them to be too bass light, soundstage isnt that great compared with MH1C though clarity, speed and detailing are just wonderful on R-50 . I might buy a E11 and it may change my impressions..

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Rockit Sounds R-50 Review/Impressions/Appreciation