Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! - Page 67

post #991 of 7347

There's probably a way to set up a headphone rig in that small bubble car if you wanted to. smily_headphones1.gif

post #992 of 7347
Thread Starter 
billy, found what I was looking for... the only classic American muscle that I'm nuts over. It wasn't even on the auction list, was a no-sale from a previous night. I made an offer and they accepted.

1970 Hemi `cuda convertible (recreation, of course), it was really a regular hardtop `cuda with a crate Hemi and professional soft-top conversion.





- Complete rotisserie nut and bolt restoration, 4000mi since resto
- 528CI fuel injected Hemi engine enlarged to 560CI
- 660bhp, 630lb/ft torque
- Tremec 5-speed manual
- Dana 60 rear, 3:73 gear
- Disc brakes
- Limited-slip differential
- Independant front suspension
- Rallye gauges
- Pistol Grip shifter
- Real steel Shaker hood
- Rim blow horn
- All new glass
- Power roof
- Full documentation, all receipts, and original window stickers

Happy now? wink.gif
post #993 of 7347
VERY HAPPY!! Look at that beautiful chunk of mopar hemi goodness crammed into that engine compartment! I expect to see video of great plumes of black smoke and two (because it has limited slip!) long black parallel lines!


Edited by billybob_jcv - 11/16/12 at 5:20pm
post #994 of 7347

Wow that Cuda looks great beerchug.gif

I think what you need is a bigger house now biggrin.gif

post #995 of 7347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

billy, found what I was looking for... the only classic American muscle that I'm nuts over. It wasn't even on the auction list, was a no-sale from a previous night. I made an offer and they accepted.
1970 Hemi `cuda convertible (recreation, of course), it was really a regular hardtop `cuda with a crate Hemi and professional soft-top conversion.



- Complete rotisserie nut and bolt restoration, 4000mi since resto
- 528CI fuel injected Hemi engine enlarged to 560CI
- 660bhp, 630lb/ft torque
- Tremec 5-speed manual
- Dana 60 rear, 3:73 gear
- Disc brakes
- Limited-slip differential
- Independant front suspension
- Rallye gauges
- Pistol Grip shifter
- Real steel Shaker hood
- Rim blow horn
- All new glass
- Power roof
- Full documentation, all receipts, and original window stickers
Happy now? wink.gif

 

I think out of all the wondrous vehicles in your collection, if I had the chance at two hours with any of them, this would be the one. 

Looking through the pictures, and reading the specs underneath, I suspect I probably looked like this....

post #996 of 7347
Oh, I don't know - I think it's a bit like every one of the Magick cars is a Hattori Hanzo sword. You can't compare them to each other - only to every other car in the world not owned by Magick... tongue.gif

.
post #997 of 7347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post


*I* didn't buy it. It is a 100% resto, with new 25hp engine and 4-sp manual. It'll do 60+mph. Prettiest I've seen.

 

Looks like Cousin It's car ;).

post #998 of 7347
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by veyrongatti View Post

Wow that Cuda looks great beerchug.gif
I think what you need is a bigger house now biggrin.gif

That's why I had the big garage built. Before I only had room for 4 cars, so even though I wanted to collect cars I couldn't, even though I have the means to do it. Despite how it looks, I'm not going nuts with the buying, these are all cars that are on my "list" (except for my wife's choices, which I didn't expect). We have room for 20+ cars, and the separate big garage can be easily expanded, due to its modular construction, so in reality we can house as many as 35-40 cars, without too much hassle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

VERY HAPPY!! Look at that beautiful chunk of mopar hemi goodness crammed into that engine compartment! I expect to see video of great plumes of black smoke and two (because it has limited slip!) long black parallel lines!

My main issue with classic American cars, and most classics in general, is that they handle like crap. Yeah, you have power, but you also have huge amounts of weight, delicate powertrains, abysmal handling, and god-awful brakes. It's blasphemous, but I want the looks and sound without all the downsides. "Authenticity" be damned. wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achmedisdead View Post

I think out of all the wondrous vehicles in your collection, if I had the chance at two hours with any of them, this would be the one. 
Looking through the pictures, and reading the specs underneath, I suspect I probably looked like this....

I suspect it weighs near 5000lbs, but that's a good thing, and the heavy Dana rearend brings it closer to 50/50 weight distribution. Without TC, it's going to need some help to put that power to the road, I suspect, and I'm going to swap the all-season radials for good, sticky Summer meats. Also, I like the pistol-grip shifter, but I'm going to get a longer handle that angles up to the driver a little. I didn't realize that it doesn't have the usual factory power steering either, it's power assist R&P. That's better for feel and handling, but it takes a firm grip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

Looks like Cousin It's car wink.gif.

She wants it so she can one-up the neighbors in their golf carts, we live in a gated community and most of the folks travel around the local area in electric or 2 stroke putt-putt machines. This Isetta, with its tiny 2cyl, 4 stroke engine, will make 25hp and do 70mph. I need to just figure out how to get it fitted for seat belts, and maybe a restrictor plate.
post #999 of 7347

My only concern with the Isetta would be how likely it would be to tip over in a turn...lol.  But if the wife is just driving it around the neighborhood, I guess (hope) she wouldn't be going fast enough to worry about that.

post #1000 of 7347
Quote:
a restrictor plate

beyersmile.png

Find the switch with the picture of the "rabbit" and the "turtle" - put it on turtle... tongue.gif
post #1001 of 7347
Thread Starter 
What I was talking about earlier, check out these prices. (You may have to register to see them.) Crazy low.

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/consignment_list.cfm?AUCTION_ID=AN1112&consignDay=Friday
post #1002 of 7347
Thread Starter 
I know what I said and I wasn't going to buy anything today, but at the price I couldn't help myself. redface.gif Seriously, this is nuts.

1965 AC 427 Cobra replica: $31k

- 1965 Contemporary Motors 427SC AC Cobra
- Balanced, Blueprinted new 427 all-alu sideoiler
- Dual quad Holly carbs, Schneider Cam, Billet valve train and MSD IGN
- 540BHP, 570LB/FT torque
- T 4-speed Toploader, Big shaft in and out, W/NOS shifter
- 3800 miles since build
- 2550lb curb weight
- All Jaguar, IRS, 3-way adjustable coilovers
- Twin A-arm independent front suspension
- Brakes: Wilwood discs around, rear inboard
- Wheels: Trigo Pin-Drives and Halibrand spinners
- BFG Radial T/A Eurotech tires
- Porsche tan leather interior
- Smith's gauges, side view mirror
- Wood lade steering wheel
- Assembly manual, documentation
- Pictures of undercarriage during build
- Tonneau cover and custom fit car cover





This is going to be fast, very fast. I've seen others this cheap, but they weren't equipped like this. To have the same thing built from the same company would be >60k.
post #1003 of 7347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

I know what I said and I wasn't going to buy anything today, but at the price I couldn't help myself. redface.gif Seriously, this is nuts.

1965 AC 427 Cobra replica: $31k

This is going to be fast, very fast. I've seen others this cheap, but they weren't equipped like this. To have the same thing built from the same company would be >60k.

 

Yeah, this is an EXCELLENT buy, no way you could pass that up.  I've never seen one so fully decked-out like that.  Full of creature comforts.  Was it some guy's DD or something?

post #1004 of 7347
Dude!! OK- now you are making it VERY hard to select a "daily driver" from your stable. You might want to get license plate frames that say "Monday", "Tuesday", "Wednesday"...

And you are right - that AC Cobra replica has it all - I've seen a lot of those with nice engines, but crummy interiors, or nice interiors but unimpressive engines. It doesn't get much better than that one!
post #1005 of 7347
Thread Starter 
The body is "steel weave & composite", whatever that means. Is that a reinforced fiberglass? Couldn't beat the price, I just sat there, stunned. The parts alone cost 20k more than that. And the interior is pretty nice, not typical at all. Plus, there's the manual roof, frak. You don't see those every day. I'm not sure about the DD status, but I doubt it given the low miles.

This has been the funkiest car auction I've seen. It's a compulsion to call and bid, given the pricing.

Mint `69 GTO Judge Ram Air 455 just went for $44k. My wife is out Xmas shopping and I'm left by myself. Stay away from the phooooone! eek.gif Uh oh, there's a GT40 replica coming up for sale soon.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!