Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! - Page 61

post #901 of 7048
Quote:
Originally Posted by proton007 View Post

I think one of the reasons is aerodynamics and the monocoque design. The traditional approach to something aerodynamic was to make it sharp and swooping, but our knowledge and design methods have changed, hence the focus is towards more functional designs.
To look at an example, a Nissan GTR (not the skyline), or a Lexus LFA wouldn't be possible in the old world, no matter how pedestrian it looks.
Some may say thats what happens when you design with a computer doing CFD analysis, but you end up trading looks for performance.

Yes - I agree - and if you're building a 200 mph supercar, you really do need to let the CFD & wind tunnel guide your design. For the more pedestrian consumer cars, the MPG ratings drive the design - which is unfortunate. But in the middle, I think there is still some room for style-based cars. The buyer of a Ford Taurus or Chevy Caprice aren't buying for MPG or top speed. I think it's unfortunate that the MPG rules prevent a style-based category from being offered. They almost get it with the remakes of the classic muscle cars - but for some reason they don't extend that to other classic designs from history - regardless of who the original designer was.
Edited by billybob_jcv - 11/13/12 at 7:34am
post #902 of 7048
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

But in the middle, I think there is still some room for style-based cars. The buyer of a Ford Taurus or Chevy Caprice aren't buying for MPG or top speed.

 

I agree, but the formula seems to be to just sell a souped up version of the normal car. Something like the "RS", "GT" version, same body, just firm up the suspension, put a bigger engine, save cost on design.

 

The originality and craziness of the past is missing. I think companies are risk averse. Look at Toyota. The designs are simply neutral, both young and old won't mind it, but they won't like it either.

 

To be honest, I don't think there are a lot of 'fun' cars out there, you either have the fuel saver, the people carrier, the off-roader, or the expensive bmws and audis and supercars. It seems the young from the 70s and 80s got old, and they took their cars with them. Times have changed, and the 'cheap, adequately powerful and fun' seems to be a thin slit in the overall customer range.

post #903 of 7048

For new cars look at the Subaru WRX, Subaru BRZ, Scion fr-s, Honda 2000, Honda CRZ, Mazda Mx-6 the list goes on.  Toyota doesn't have to be bold thats what the Scion brand is for.   Heck even the base model american muscle cars all feature over 300hp and many can be had for under $30k new. In the key $20,000-30,000 range their are more options than ever.

 

Honestly there are more cheap fun cars available now than ever before.  Used sports cars are everywhere, the nineties and early 2000's left us with a plethora of cheap fun cars due to depreciation.  Even the basic midsized car has become much faster than we could have expected.  A stock 2008 v6 accord coupe could run 0-60 mph in only 5.8 seconds and a quarter mile in 14.2 seconds.  Oddly enough that is the exact same times that a 1979 Lamborghini Countach S. That is even faster than many stock muscle cars of the 60s-70s-80s-early 90s.  Used to be we would have described that as a rocket ride... now we call it peppy.

 

There are a lot more 'fun' cars out there than there used to be, just look.

post #904 of 7048
IMHO, you are both right - and both wrong... biggrin.gif

I agree that from a fun to drive, performance standpoint, cars are better than ever. The improvement in horsepower to weight ratio is astounding, the tire technology is amazing and the advent of computer designed, CNC milled & computer monitored and controlled engines provide us performance and handling at much lower prices than anything we could have dreamed of in the 80s.

And yet - the cars you described will probably never be classics. They won't be cars that anyone remembers in 40 years other than in a list of cars by decade. Nothing in that list will become our Lotus Elan, Austin-Healey 3000 Mk3 or (although not very well known) Alfa Romeo Sprint Speciale...

post #905 of 7048
Magick - if you like the Pantera, have you looked at the Vector W8? cool.gif

Cool on the ColorWare cans! What I've been curious about with them is do they actually come assembled from the manufacturer? Or is Sennheiser sending them unbuilt parts to paint? Can you get the FR charts from Senn still?

billy - all neat looking cars indeed!
post #906 of 7048
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post

Magick - if you like the Pantera, have you looked at the Vector W8? cool.gif
Cool on the ColorWare cans! What I've been curious about with them is do they actually come assembled from the manufacturer? Or is Sennheiser sending them unbuilt parts to paint? Can you get the FR charts from Senn still?
billy - all neat looking cars indeed!

The Vector, aside from being impossible to find now, was pretty crappy. Their DBW system was known to just break at high speed and their brakes weren't much better than cookie tin lids. biggrin.gif They looked neat, though, for their time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by proton007 View Post

I agree, but the formula seems to be to just sell a souped up version of the normal car. Something like the "RS", "GT" version, same body, just firm up the suspension, put a bigger engine, save cost on design.

The originality and craziness of the past is missing. I think companies are risk averse. Look at Toyota. The designs are simply neutral, both young and old won't mind it, but they won't like it either.

To be honest, I don't think there are a lot of 'fun' cars out there, you either have the fuel saver, the people carrier, the off-roader, or the expensive bmws and audis and supercars. It seems the young from the 70s and 80s got old, and they took their cars with them. Times have changed, and the 'cheap, adequately powerful and fun' seems to be a thin slit in the overall customer range.

I was going to say, the BRZ/FR-S is the wondercar of the decade. Fun cars that are lovely and practical. Their styling will hold up for years to come.
post #907 of 7048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

The Vector, aside from being impossible to find now, was pretty crappy. Their DBW system was known to just break at high speed and their brakes weren't much better than cookie tin lids. biggrin.gif They looked neat, though, for their time.

Alright - bonehead time: DBW?
post #908 of 7048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

eek.gif My wife's BFF is flaming, man-the-fire-extinguisher gay,

 

Something tells me you feel very comforted by that.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

Yeah, they come with warranty, but it's 1 year instead of 2.

 

Hmm, bit suspicious.  Maybe their process nullifies the warranty, and 1 year is as far as they will go personally?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

No kidding, the mods here are great. They go after trolls like no other place I've ever seen. I'm still not sure what that guy's deal was, "I've had porsches and ferraris, durrhurr". Heh. The green-eyed monster is a terrible thing. Me a misogynist? Really? I believe he needs a dictionary.

 

Yay Currawong!  That was fast!  For the record, I totally backed you up when he called you an idiot and a fool.  I made it clear, in no uncertain terms, that you were our idiot, our fool, and that he'd have to go through us.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

Reports say they're the same in sound, but I'll borrow a friend's set and check them side-by-side when they come in.

 

Probably a difference that only golden ears can hear - but still curious.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post


 

Hmm, we might need to darken the red a bit (and introduce more yellow) to get a perfect color match.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

 

Yum.  smile.gif  Always loved the 8C myself.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

In some ways I worship my wife, she is my Holy communion, and as close to God as I may ever get. Me, a misogynist? How utterly absurd.

 

Okay.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post

Alright - bonehead time: DBW?

 

LOL, Wiki fail.

post #909 of 7048
i just noticed his posts got removed, along with some of mine blink.gif
post #910 of 7048
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post


LOL, Wiki fail.

Yeah it isn't dBw. I got that far. wink.gifrolleyes.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyash View Post

i just noticed his posts got removed, along with some of mine blink.gif

I don't know what did or didn't happen, but I do know in general if something really bad has been posted, and someone quotes it, both the original post *and* the quote-post will get removed. More or less irregardless of the content of the quote-post (just to remove the "bad" post).
Edited by obobskivich - 11/13/12 at 5:50pm
post #911 of 7048
It happens - I wouldn't take it personally - probably just baby with the bath water... tongue.gif


DBW ?= Drive By Wire?
post #912 of 7048
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post

Alright - bonehead time: DBW?

Drive By Wire
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

Something tells me you feel very comforted by that.

Nah, he's in love with her, no doubt about that, just not physically attracted. That guy has the most rotten luck with relationships that I've ever heard of. He drove up to Mass to marry his partner of 3 years, and within 24 hours the guy ditched him for someone else he'd just met and filed for an annulment.
Quote:
Hmm, bit suspicious.  Maybe their process nullifies the warranty, and 1 year is as far as they will go personally?

It does seem to be a Colorware warranty, not Sennheiser. I guess I'll find out in about a month.
Quote:
Hmm, we might need to darken the red a bit (and introduce more yellow) to get a perfect color match.

That's as close as I could get, the combinations are sort of limited.
Quote:
Yum.  smile.gif   Always loved the 8C myself.

Stunning car, it's too bad about the handling. frown.gif
Quote:
Okay.

Poetic license. smily_headphones1.gif
Edited by Magick Man - 11/13/12 at 6:14pm
post #913 of 7048
Woo-Hoo, I got it right! Do I win a ride in an F-16, F117 or F22? (all are FBW planes) biggrin.gif
post #914 of 7048
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapfi View Post

For new cars look at the Subaru WRX, Subaru BRZ, Scion fr-s, Honda 2000, Honda CRZ, Mazda Mx-6 the list goes on.  Toyota doesn't have to be bold thats what the Scion brand is for.   Heck even the base model american muscle cars all feature over 300hp and many can be had for under $30k new. In the key $20,000-30,000 range their are more options than ever.

 

Honestly there are more cheap fun cars available now than ever before.  Used sports cars are everywhere, the nineties and early 2000's left us with a plethora of cheap fun cars due to depreciation.  Even the basic midsized car has become much faster than we could have expected.  A stock 2008 v6 accord coupe could run 0-60 mph in only 5.8 seconds and a quarter mile in 14.2 seconds.  Oddly enough that is the exact same times that a 1979 Lamborghini Countach S. That is even faster than many stock muscle cars of the 60s-70s-80s-early 90s.  Used to be we would have described that as a rocket ride... now we call it peppy.

 

There are a lot more 'fun' cars out there than there used to be, just look.

Sigh I think I am living in the wrong country..........

But honestly what would you rather the style of the Lambo or the style of the Accord? 

post #915 of 7048
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyash View Post

i just noticed his posts got removed, along with some of mine blink.gif

 

Oh that's okay, just a thorough cleaning.  Won't affect your post count BTW.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post


LOL, Wiki fail.

Yeah it isn't dBw. I got that far. wink.gifrolleyes.gif

 

Oh wouldn't it be cool if it were?  The merging of two worlds...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyash View Post

i just noticed his posts got removed, along with some of mine blink.gif

I don't know what did or didn't happen, but I do know in general if something really bad has been posted, and someone quotes it, both the original post *and* the quote-post will get removed. More or less irregardless of the content of the quote-post (just to remove the "bad" post).

 

Dude, you so missed it!  If you were here, watching you and that dude go at it would have been epic, just epic.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

DBW ?= Drive By Wire?

 

Hey, maybe that's it!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

Drive By Wire

 

Yup, that's it!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

Something tells me you feel very comforted by that.

Nah, he's in love with her, no doubt about that

 

So you're saying that she Mrs. Magick may have the power to turn gay men straight?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

Quote:
Hmm, bit suspicious.  Maybe their process nullifies the warranty, and 1 year is as far as they will go personally?

It does seem to be a Colorware warranty, not Sennheiser. I guess I'll find out in about a month.

 

I'd love to get an HD 800.  Heard 'em, love 'em, don't mind the sound signature at all.  But at that point, I'd also want a DAC, well-paired amp, maybe some interconnects, not to mention a buttload of time to go back and flac a bunch of stuff.  Not quite practical atm.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

Quote:
Hmm, we might need to darken the red a bit (and introduce more yellow) to get a perfect color match.

That's as close as I could get, the combinations are sort of limited.

 

Yeah, I tried messing with their palette once.  Only so much can be done.  Plus, not every component can be enameled apparently.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

Quote:
Yum.  smile.gif   Always loved the 8C myself.

Stunning car, it's too bad about the handling. frown.gif
Quote:
Okay.

Poetic license. smily_headphones1.gif

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

Quote:
Yum.  smile.gif   Always loved the 8C myself.

Stunning car, it's too bad about the handling. frown.gif

 

Yes, but one would not get that car for the handling.  It's more to look at (and to be looked at).

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

Quote:
Okay.

Poetic license. smily_headphones1.gif

 

Wax on brotha, wax on.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

Woo-Hoo, I got it right! Do I win a ride in an F-16, F117 or F22? (all are FBW planes) biggrin.gif

 

How about a YF-23?  wink.gif  Kidding...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyrongatti View Post

But honestly what would you rather the style of the Lambo or the style of the Accord? 

 

Hey Magick, time to whip out one of those "are u serious" pics...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!