Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! - Page 60

post #886 of 7303
A Pantera? Really? OK - maybe we don't have similar tastes after all.

The Pantera always reminded me of a kit car - and not in a good way...

My "most beautiful *sports* car" list would probably include the Lotus Elan convertible.



If we include non-sports cars, then the list becomes more complicated because I would probably start including cars like the Duesenberg SJ Roadster or SSJ Speedster, or Talbot-Lago, or Bugatti Type 57. I wouldn't have any modern cars on my list - there's something about the simplicity of the art deco age of cars that is lost in the modern era of super cars. I don't need the car to be the fastest or meanest to be the most beautiful.
Edited by billybob_jcv - 11/12/12 at 2:18pm
post #887 of 7303
Thread Starter 
Oh, and I received a Colorware gift card from AmEx, so I used it to order some HD800s. confused_face.gif I feel like I sold out.



To match the incoming 12C. rolleyes.gif
post #888 of 7303
popcorn.gif
lol

thats why i follow this thread even thread even though i dont know much about old cars biggrin.gif
post #889 of 7303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

Oh, and I received a Colorware gift card from AmEx, so I used it to order some HD800s. confused_face.gif I feel like I sold out.
To match the incoming 12C. rolleyes.gif

it looks like the pricing is $1500 for them new?
pretty amazed as i though they would be much more
and they look eek.gif
post #890 of 7303
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyash View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

Oh, and I received a Colorware gift card from AmEx, so I used it to order some HD800s. confused_face.gif I feel like I sold out.
To match the incoming 12C. rolleyes.gif

it looks like the pricing is $1500 for them new?
pretty amazed as i though they would be much more
and they look eek.gif

 

I've always wondered about whether Colorware's process affects the sound at all.  It seems to me that they need to disassemble the units to avoid a bad enameling job.  That being the case, I wonder if the units sound the same after going through that disassembly/reassembly process.

 

There was a Colorware HD 800 at the past L.A. Meet, but I never got a chance to hear it as there wasn't time.

post #891 of 7303
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyash View Post

popcorn.gif
lol

thats why i follow this thread even thread even though i dont know much about old cars biggrin.gif

 

And now, no one new will ever know what that means.  smile.gif

post #892 of 7303
I would bet the disassembly, enameling & reassembly process would have minimal effect if done carefully. I might be a little concerned in they are enameling the inside of the cups - of course the Senn's are so open that it still might not matter.
post #893 of 7303
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

I would bet the disassembly, enameling & reassembly process would have minimal effect if done carefully. I might be a little concerned in they are enameling the inside of the cups - of course the Senn's are so open that it still might not matter.

 

Yeah, I suppose.  Hmm, wonder if Sennheiser still guarantees that FR graph they send out after Colorwaring... they can be VERY German about such things after all.

post #894 of 7303
Does Sennheiser still warranty the 'phones at all after coloring? Unless they have an agreement in place with Colorware, I would doubt it.
post #895 of 7303
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

Does Sennheiser still warranty the 'phones at all after coloring? Unless they have an agreement in place with Colorware, I would doubt it.

 

Yeah, didn't even think about that.  Probably not.  Unless they are some kind of official authorized dealer with special dispensation to perform services like that.

post #896 of 7303
post #897 of 7303
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

Almost fell out of my chair laughing at this :P

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

eek.gif My wife's BFF is flaming, man-the-fire-extinguisher gay, but he's really fat and a big sci-fi geek. Think of a young Dom Delouise but more effeminate. Very funny guy. Also, I dress every bit as well as he does, except when I'm sporting my awesome Hawaiian shirts. biggrin.gif Anyway, gay marriage would be great, they should have the opportunity to be just as miserable as everyone else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

Does Sennheiser still warranty the 'phones at all after coloring? Unless they have an agreement in place with Colorware, I would doubt it.

Yeah, they come with warranty, but it's 1 year instead of 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

And now, no one new will ever know what that means.  smile.gif

No kidding, the mods here are great. They go after trolls like no other place I've ever seen. I'm still not sure what that guy's deal was, "I've had porsches and ferraris, durrhurr". Heh. The green-eyed monster is a terrible thing. Me a misogynist? Really? I believe he needs a dictionary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

I've always wondered about whether Colorware's process affects the sound at all.  It seems to me that they need to disassemble the units to avoid a bad enameling job.  That being the case, I wonder if the units sound the same after going through that disassembly/reassembly process.

There was a Colorware HD 800 at the past L.A. Meet, but I never got a chance to hear it as there wasn't time.

Reports say they're the same in sound, but I'll borrow a friend's set and check them side-by-side when they come in.

Gangnam Style:

post #898 of 7303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post



Gangnam Style:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmhTKDqrEDo&feature=related Not gangnam style till you have the NK car....... (Im joking of course :P)

In all seriousness your still missing the pyeongyang in your collection tongue.gif

post #899 of 7303
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

So - here's a question. To me, the styling of the most beautiful cars tend to be very simple - the sweeping arcs of the roof line, hood, fenders and rear are very balanced and just make sense. Why is that so hard?? Why do some cars get it soooooo right and then there are those other cars that simply look horrible? Why are some of the most beautiful cars in the world 40 years old???

 

I think one of the reasons is aerodynamics and the monocoque design. The traditional approach to something aerodynamic was to make it sharp and swooping, but our knowledge and design methods have changed, hence the focus is towards more functional designs.

To look at an example, a Nissan GTR (not the skyline), or a Lexus LFA wouldn't be possible in the old world, no matter how pedestrian it looks.

Some may say thats what happens when you design with a computer doing CFD analysis, but you end up trading looks for performance.


Edited by proton007 - 11/13/12 at 6:22am
post #900 of 7303
Thread Starter 
There are certain cars, that for lack of a better expression, elevate the soul. I'm weird, but the first and only time I saw an Alfa Stradale 33 in person, my eyes misted up. IMO, it's the most beautiful vehicle ever made, and one of the most sublime creations in human history. I was mesmerized. Then there's the 8C coupe, which came very close to its older sister.



I'm not trying to sound sexist, but it's the attempt at replication of the female form in bloom. To me there's nothing more glorious than the curve of hip and arch of the back, the flow from the neck to shoulders. In short, there's nothing more pure and divine in aspect than a woman. It isn't about lust, it's a recognition of aesthetic perfection.

In some ways I worship my wife, she is my Holy communion, and as close to God as I may ever get. Me, a misogynist? How utterly absurd.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!