Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! - Page 57

post #841 of 6662
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

There was a time in high school when I wanted a small British sports car - ie, MGB, Spitfire, TR6, Sprite, Alpine, etc - heck I even test drove a TR7 in the late 70s before I bought an RX-7. My Dad thought buying a convertible was a really stupid idea, and buying a British convertible was even worse. It's probably just as well, there is no way I would have been able to keep one of those temperamental beasts running.

Yum RX7 ^^ 

post #842 of 6662

A friend and I were talking about my headphones.  He wanted to know why I have so many - and why I need many, many, many more.  I explained to him that it was a genetic thing, and that there's a whole community of similar people online.  Somewhere along the way - I think it was when I hit alleles and locii, or how Grado is pronounced - his eyes glazed over a bit.  In exasperation, he reminded me that I only have two ears.  That made me think of an old saying where "one can't ride two horses with only one ass."  And right when I thought of that, I was reminded of this thread.

post #843 of 6662

BTW, I meant the above in a good way...

 

You know, lots of cans = good, lots of cars = good.  I'm not saying he shouldn't get more cars.  In fact, he should get more cars.  Because we should all get more cans.

 

I think I drank too much.

post #844 of 6662
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

BTW, I meant the above in a good way...

 

You know, lots of cans = good, lots of cars = good.  I'm not saying he shouldn't get more cars.  In fact, he should get more cars.  Because we should all get more cans.

 

I think I drank too much.

No if you can think you didnt drink too much tongue.gif

post #845 of 6662
Thread Starter 
There's a 15 PM limit /day? When did that happen? D@#ned newbies sending me PMs asking about gear... now I can't answer more important messages. *sigh*

Oh, and I hate Winter, I feel like someone has smashed my joints with a hammer. mad.gif
Edited by Magick Man - 11/10/12 at 6:58am
post #846 of 6662
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by veyrongatti View Post

Well then in that case........ Dont ever touch it biggrin.giftongue.gif

Indeed. You also can't really drive the special cars too much, because then they stop becoming very special. smily_headphones1.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

There was a time in high school when I wanted a small British sports car - ie, MGB, Spitfire, TR6, Sprite, Alpine, etc - heck I even test drove a TR7 in the late 70s before I bought an RX-7. My Dad thought buying a convertible was a really stupid idea, and buying a British convertible was even worse. It's probably just as well, there is no way I would have been able to keep one of those temperamental beasts running.

The 3rd car I owned was a turbo Wankel, it was an awesome car. It was so light that its 180ish HP felt like 300. Unfortunately, I traded it, in a moment of stupidity, so I only spent a few months with it. I'd love to have it today, it was a slick little beast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

BTW, I meant the above in a good way...

You know, lots of cans = good, lots of cars = good.  I'm not saying he shouldn't get more cars.  In fact, he should get more cars.  Because we should all get more cans.

I think I drank too much.

You did! Lots of cars bad?! How could you say that? redface.gif

I'm having a lot of fun with this new hobby, but it does cost a lot more than head-fi/HiFi. Well, maybe not extreme nosebleed HiFi, but even then exotic cars have a higher upper limit. Right now I'm carefully choosing the cars based on rounding the collection, while not getting seriously hammered with depreciation. For the most part, I'm going to let someone else eat the worst of the expense, then we'll enjoy them when they're done. There are exceptions; first year 991 and first year 12C spider, but both of those are going to have such slow/low depreciation that it doesn't matter, they're the consensus best cars in their class and will be in high demand even after their product cycles have ended.
post #847 of 6662
Something must be wrong with the PM system, because it's a new day and it still says I've reached my limit.
post #848 of 6662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

There's a 15 PM limit /day? When did that happen? D@#ned newbies sending me PMs asking about gear... now I can't answer more important messages. *sigh*
Oh, and I hate Winter, I feel like someone has smashed my joints with a hammer. mad.gif

Its snowing here today - I'm happy. biggrin.gif (Probably not gonna be happy in two hours when I have to venture out in it and end up spinning out (protip for the kiddies: tons of torque + no weight on the drive wheels = recipe for AWESOME)). I hope your joints feel better. redface.gif
post #849 of 6662
Quote:
Originally Posted by veyrongatti View Post

No if you can think you didnt drink too much tongue.gif

 

Oh I can always think... it's a curse really.  It's just the quality of my thoughts that changes.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

You did! Lots of cars bad?! How could you say that? redface.gif

 

Yeah, sorry bout that.  I didn't mean it to come out that way.

 

I think I vaguely remember trying to look up an older car as a suggestion for you, a Vehma Torrero, but now I'm thinking that might not be such a good idea.

post #850 of 6662
Near me there is one of those unofficial used car spots where people park their cars with for sale signs on them on the weekends. This morning there was a 1987 Porsche 944 for $7500 obo. It was fairly clean, the interior was nice - but I'm pretty sure it had been repainted and there was some paint crackling in front of the rear wheels. It was red, and maybe I'm nuts (no real debate there!) but the red just didn't look quite right for Porsche red - it was a bit *too* red if you know what I mean. The sign also said that the speedo had been replaced ~2500 miles ago - which always makes me suspicious.

I know it's frowned upon by Porsche purists, but I have always liked the 944 & 944S. Maybe it's because the nose reminds me of my old RX-7 (as does the 924) - but I like them. Now, granted, the 924 was a piece of crap VW and the 928 was one FUGLY car, and sometimes I think the 944 gets painted with the stink from those two losers. And yeah, I expect to take flak for liking the 944... tongue.gif
post #851 of 6662
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

Near me there is one of those unofficial used car spots where people park their cars with for sale signs on them on the weekends. This morning there was a 1987 Porsche 944 for $7500 obo. It was fairly clean, the interior was nice - but I'm pretty sure it had been repainted and there was some paint crackling in front of the rear wheels. It was red, and maybe I'm nuts (no real debate there!) but the red just didn't look quite right for Porsche red - it was a bit *too* red if you know what I mean. The sign also said that the speedo had been replaced ~2500 miles ago - which always makes me suspicious.
I know it's frowned upon by Porsche purists, but I have always liked the 944 & 944S. Maybe it's because the nose reminds me of my old RX-7 (as does the 924) - but I like them. Now, granted, the 924 was a piece of crap VW and the 928 was one FUGLY car, and sometimes I think the 944 gets painted with the stink from those two losers. And yeah, I expect to take flak for liking the 944... tongue.gif

Issues and concerns aside, $7500 seems wicked high for that car. For some reason I want to say $5000 is more realistic, but maybe I'm the crazy one. redface.gif

Have you test-driven it or had it looked over?
post #852 of 6662

I always liked the 928....lol. 

 

post #853 of 6662
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

Near me there is one of those unofficial used car spots where people park their cars with for sale signs on them on the weekends. This morning there was a 1987 Porsche 944 for $7500 obo. It was fairly clean, the interior was nice - but I'm pretty sure it had been repainted and there was some paint crackling in front of the rear wheels. It was red, and maybe I'm nuts (no real debate there!) but the red just didn't look quite right for Porsche red - it was a bit *too* red if you know what I mean. The sign also said that the speedo had been replaced ~2500 miles ago - which always makes me suspicious.
I know it's frowned upon by Porsche purists, but I have always liked the 944 & 944S. Maybe it's because the nose reminds me of my old RX-7 (as does the 924) - but I like them. Now, granted, the 924 was a piece of crap VW and the 928 was one FUGLY car, and sometimes I think the 944 gets painted with the stink from those two losers. And yeah, I expect to take flak for liking the 944... tongue.gif

So you like the 944 because it reminds you of the FB and the FC? 

post #854 of 6662
Nah - I'm not serious about it - just looking. I looked briefly and I saw some 944 examples going for $6K-15K. The 944 goes for much more than the 924, and I think a nice 924 will cost you $5K

I drove a 1980 RX-7 GS for 8 years, so I guess that would be an FB - but I really don't know the variant minutiae of the RX-7 - I just loved it and drove it like the crazy college kid I was... biggrin.gif

I do know this, the electronic ignition introduced in the 1980 RX-7 was a big improvement over the insanely complicated dual points ignition in the 1979.

Edit - I just read the very confusing discussion on Wikipedia explaining the SA/FB thing - and I have no idea what it was. All I know is that it was a 1980 GS!
Edited by billybob_jcv - 11/10/12 at 4:43pm
post #855 of 6662
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

Nah - I'm not serious about it - just looking. I looked briefly and I saw some 944 examples going for $6K-15K. The 944 goes for much more than the 924, and I think a nice 924 will cost you $5K
I drove a 1980 RX-7 GS for 8 years, so I guess that would be an FB - but I really don't know the variant minutiae of the RX-7 - I just loved it and drove it like the crazy college kid I was... biggrin.gif
I do know this, the electronic ignition introduced in the 1980 RX-7 was a big improvement over the insanely complicated dual points ignition in the 1979.
Edit - I just read the very confusing discussion on Wikipedia explaining the SA/FB thing - and I have no idea what it was. All I know is that it was a 1980 GS!

How was it? Im thinking about an FC, FD or an 86 as an first car.....

But wont really happen till 9 years later......... Maybe by then I can get an STI or an Evo (if it wasnt discontinued) 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!