Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! - Page 535

post #8011 of 8022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutnicks View Post
 

 Pure misery at times (try getting the shims on an X 1/9 right, almost a career in itself) but when you got them running and tuned properly they were a delight.

 

I'm sure they were.

 

What I'm also sure of is that they were such a delight not only because they were actually great, but also because you had to put some of you into them.

 

Just like crappy cans that sound good when modded, they sort of become yours over time. You're not their owner anymore, you're their custodian.

 

I don't want to sound like a grumpy old dude (especially since I'm not old), but today's cars (apart from a few exceptions, obviously) can't give me that.

 

What I do love about today though, is that you have the choice. You can have a fantastic Tesla S for weekdays and own a Seven or a Lancia for weekends. Isn't that great ?

 

There's also something to be said about the boys and girls who drive classic cars though.

 

I get to see quite a lot of great modern cars where I live, Ferraris Lambos Bugattis and what have you, yet I still have to see one likeable person in them.

 

Classic cars though, you'd have to be a masochist to drive one in town. The guys and gals in them though, they're almost always nice. Especially when you're willing to give a helping hand... 

post #8012 of 8022
Thread Starter 
I'm a bad person. I love it when a person I'm bidding against whips their head around, spots me bidding against them, and gives me the most hateful looks imaginable, their face turning purple. Extra points if it's a young hipster and they get so angry they actually tear up their bid number and storm out of the auction hall. That made my day, I'll actually bid beyond what I wanted to pay just to see what they'll do. biggrin.gif
post #8013 of 8022
Quote:
Originally Posted by customcoco View Post
 

I'm sure they were.

 

What I'm also sure of is that they were such a delight not only because they were actually great, but also because you had to put some of you into them.

 

Just like crappy cans that sound good when modded, they sort of become yours over time. You're not their owner anymore, you're their custodian.

 

I don't want to sound like a grumpy old dude (especially since I'm not old), but today's cars (apart from a few exceptions, obviously) can't give me that.

 

What I do love about today though, is that you have the choice. You can have a fantastic Tesla S for weekdays and own a Seven or a Lancia for weekends. Isn't that great ?

 

There's also something to be said about the boys and girls who drive classic cars though.

 

I get to see quite a lot of great modern cars where I live, Ferraris Lambos Bugattis and what have you, yet I still have to see one likeable person in them.

 

Classic cars though, you'd have to be a masochist to drive one in town. The guys and gals in them though, they're almost always nice. Especially when you're willing to give a helping hand... 


There is certainly a masochistic bent you have to have to really appreciate some of the older stuff. Today in the era of 100k before a tune up and mom's maxima having more hp than an old 308 you don't get how hard it was to get power out of an older car and the maintenance it took to keep it

The driving experience was miles different as well. Suspension tuning and tire selection were far more critical than they are today. But man, when you got it all right it was pure joy. A tuned X 1/9 is still one of my all time favourites. The handling and road feel was nothing short of heavenly. You could easily forgive it for being underpowered the first time you put it through a hairpin.

 

A lot of new era "enthusiasts" have the attitude that just because they bought the car they are an instant expert on the marque. Some marques attract this more than others (Magick will know which one I refer too :)). With the older stuff you pretty much had to know the inside outs just to source parts and keep it running, it built and still builds fraternity. The Anglophiles are the closest knit of this bunch. Alfisti's a close second.

post #8014 of 8022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

I'm a bad person. I love it when a person I'm bidding against whips their head around, spots me bidding against them, and gives me the most hateful looks imaginable, their face turning purple. Extra points if it's a young hipster and they get so angry they actually tear up their bid number and storm out of the auction hall. That made my day, I'll actually bid beyond what I wanted to pay just to see what they'll do. biggrin.gif


Crushing hipster dreams, one auction at a time!

 

You could have a shirt made.

 

Please tell me the car was something desirable and rare.

post #8015 of 8022
Thread Starter 
Rare in the US, a 66 Fiat 600. Neither of us got it though, reserve was too high.
post #8016 of 8022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutnicks View Post
 


There is certainly a masochistic bent you have to have to really appreciate some of the older stuff. Today in the era of 100k before a tune up and mom's maxima having more hp than an old 308 you don't get how hard it was to get power out of an older car and the maintenance it took to keep it

The driving experience was miles different as well. Suspension tuning and tire selection were far more critical than they are today. But man, when you got it all right it was pure joy. A tuned X 1/9 is still one of my all time favourites. The handling and road feel was nothing short of heavenly. You could easily forgive it for being underpowered the first time you put it through a hairpin.

 

I get, it was a challenge. Being a real car lover took more than just having the means to.

post #8017 of 8022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

Rare in the US, a 66 Fiat 600. Neither of us got it though, reserve was too high.


Bugger. What's the going rate for a 600 thesedays?

 

 

Edit: OK I've been running the Beyers through every tone generator and test track I can find and cannot seem to replicate your 7-8k dip. I have to ask if you were listening with the stock single entry cabling?


Edited by Hutnicks - Yesterday at 5:16 pm
post #8018 of 8022
Quote:
Originally Posted by customcoco View Post
 

I get, it was a challenge. Being a real car lover took more than just having the means to.


Was a lot of basic automotive survival skills:) Unless you knew a really really good mechanic, you were living of the Haynes and Motor manuals and becoming a true artist at sourcing parts from the most arcane places. Then there were endless hours cross referencing stuff you know like the Buick Turbo Regal air filter is identical to the SAAB 99 series and cost 1/10 th the price that British Leyland was trying to rape you for. Spax Shocks were a hundred times better than OEM and cost practically nothing in comparison. And if you were of the LimeyPhile ilk you automatically bought a Luminition the second you took delivery of a car. Fiat parts were a challenge, luckily one of the last dealers to have them in Canada was an old friend of my fathers so I had a good starting place.

 

Now that I'm thinking of it there was a wrecker way in the countryside that had a Alfa Spyder body in pristine shape, I wonder...

 

Then if you were a French Car buff things got a lot more interesting...

 

 We have an English Car day every year (all makes are actually welcome) at the local provincial park here. I walk through it every year with a simultaneous sense of awe and horror!  I was totally shocked to see Reliants were actually on these shores. And it is nice to see that the Lotus 6 is still alive and kicking

post #8019 of 8022

Catching up from a couple pages back...

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

On cars, which are much more important, we got a pair of 930 Turbos today, and one isn't just a 930, it's heavily modified by Ruf and a CTR in all but name. 530 air-cooled ponies in a 2500lb car. So I ended up with a Ruf on this trip after all. biggrin.gif Also I have a another deal brewing for a 60s/70s Lambo collection; a 400 GT, an Islero S, an Espada (eh), and an Urraco P300. Could be really great.

All of those Lamborghini's are my favorite models of the Marque. People forget that they ever made anything aside from the Miura and the Countach, when some of their handsomest cars are either from an earlier era or just weren't the halo cars of the brand. An Islero is the epitome of slab-sided, muscular elegance, and Espadas are absolutely massive in person.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

Well guys, if you wanted a great deal on an ugly Ferrari, you missed it.


https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail.cfm?lot_id=FL0115-209884

I wouldn't call a 355 ugly, but it's just very boring for a Ferrari. Too safe, too soft-edged, too 90s.

post #8020 of 8022
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutnicks View Post


Bugger. What's the going rate for a 600 thesedays?


Edit: OK I've been running the Beyers through every tone generator and test track I can find and cannot seem to replicate your 7-8k dip. I have to ask if you were listening with the stock single entry cabling?

I wouldn't pay more than $25k for the 600, they made ~1.3M of them. It was priced high simply because of the recent Fiat craze in the US, they'll settle down again.

I listened to those DT1350s for quite a while and there was definitely something funky going on in the treble ~6 kHz, it was simply missing. I looked at Tyll's measurements and it's in those, a kind of "suck out" in that region. He said it's due to ear>pad seal, I don't know.





Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrock64 View Post

All of those Lamborghini's are my favorite models of the Marque. People forget that they ever made anything aside from the Miura and the Countach, when some of their handsomest cars are either from an earlier era or just weren't the halo cars of the brand. An Islero is the epitome of slab-sided, muscular elegance, and Espadas are absolutely massive in person.

I wouldn't call a 355 ugly, but it's just very boring for a Ferrari. Too safe, too soft-edged, too 90s.

The F355 isn't ugly, it was just the color. That green is even worse in person, that metallic green was almost like teal, and the light beige top and interior wasn't doing it any favors. Yeah, I really like the 400GT, Islero, and even the Urraco. The Espada? Eh. I can't get into it, it's just too... misproportioned for me. Not my thing. One I really want is a Silhouette, but they only made about 50 of them and even though they aren't super valuable, you almost never see one up for sale.
Edited by Magick Man - Yesterday at 8:50 pm
post #8021 of 8022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post


I wouldn't pay more than $25k for the 600, they made ~1.3M of them. It was priced high simply because of the recent Fiat craze in the US, they'll settle down again.

I listened to those DT1350s for quite a while and there was definitely something funky going on in the treble ~6 kHz, it was simply missing. I looked at Tyll's measurements and it's in those, a kind of "suck out" in that region. He said it's due to ear>pad seal, I don't know.



The F355 isn't ugly, it was just the color. That green is even worse in person, that metallic green was almost like teal, and the light beige top and interior wasn't doing it any favors. Yeah, I really like the 400GT, Islero, and even the Urraco. The Espada? Eh. I can't get into it, it's just too... misproportioned for me. Not my thing. One I really want is a Silhouette, but they only made about 50 of them and even though they aren't super valuable, you almost never see one up for sale.


Man I remember back not too long ago when you couldn't give one of those away. Amazing what re indroducing a brand to a market does.  Maybe LADA will make a reappearance:eek:

 

Yeah for all its strengths the 1350 is a beech to live with. Fit and construction suck. At the price point it should have been far better built. You need a good three days to figure out how to seat em on your ears and everyone is different. That and the assinine brass crimps on the inside rather than a knot to hold the stock cables can be disastrous. I suspect that 99.9999999999999999999999 percent of the infamous "channel imbalance" issues are caused by the razor edges of the crimps cutting through the cables and the remaining fraction by folk who just cannot get a proper fit. They scream for a circumaural pad (Double entry cabling is a given. Two types of 1350 owners, those who have recabled and those about to)  but the cup mount is of course a huge flange precluding a larger pad. They are something Chrysler would have built .

 

Same lease joint had a Black and Tan 355. I was quite smitten with it. I kept looking at it then over at the Testarossa and thinking it seemed rather like the offspring of the Redhead and a 308

post #8022 of 8022
Quote:

Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post
I wouldn't pay more than $25k for the 600, they made ~1.3M of them.

 

I wouldn't pay more than $25 for one, I had one as my first car - vile heap. Tried to kill me once and regularly reminded me it could do it again.

 

Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

The F355 isn't ugly, ...
Agree
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!