Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! - Page 488

post #7306 of 7312

Wow, the winning bid of 3.207852 was impressive (as well as being impressively arbitrary). You said it's going to a museum now; has the buyer been made public or are you just guessing?

post #7307 of 7312

3.141592 would have made more sense, since comic books are for nerds and geeks. So, could there be some neerdy and geeky meta humour in that number?

post #7308 of 7312
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrock64 View Post

Wow, the winning bid of 3.207852 was impressive (as well as being impressively arbitrary). You said it's going to a museum now; has the buyer been made public or are you just guessing?

There was a lot of behind the scenes conversation going on and it didn't take long to figure out who the other people bidding were, since that's a pretty small community (comic lovers who will readily plop down >$3M for a single book). The person who won is relatively famous, deeply rooted in comic books, and is going to be loaning it out to a major museum, indefinitely. The rest of us were kinda like, "yeah, you're a good choice as owner, we won't work to block you", because essentially, if it were going to a person who is perceived as being irresponsible, that price would have been quite a bit higher.
post #7309 of 7312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post


There was a lot of behind the scenes conversation going on and it didn't take long to figure out who the other people bidding were, since that's a pretty small community (comic lovers who will readily plop down >$3M for a single book). The person who won is relatively famous, deeply rooted in comic books, and is going to be loaning it out to a major museum, indefinitely. The rest of us were kinda like, "yeah, you're a good choice as owner, we won't work to block you", because essentially, if it were going to a person who is perceived as being irresponsible, that price would have been quite a bit higher.


It sounds like there's a very good, fairly ethical community around high-end comics, then. That's not an area I'm familiar with at all.

post #7310 of 7312

What would be the equivalent to Beats by Dre in the comic book world?

post #7311 of 7312
Are you the same dude (Magick Man) that posted on innerfidelity of picking up a pair of beats solo2's?
post #7312 of 7312
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb3723 View Post

Are you the same dude (Magick Man) that posted on innerfidelity of picking up a pair of beats solo2's?

nope
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrock64 View Post


It sounds like there's a very good, fairly ethical community around high-end comics, then. That's not an area I'm familiar with at all.

Actually we're accused of being the comics police, but it's rare that we kind of band together to do this sort of thing, only when certain seminal issues are on the block. When I yoinked my 9.4 Amazing Fantasy 15 I had to run the gauntlet and talk with the big fish in the hobby, and that was only 1/15th what this comic went for. It just feels odd to be one of those fish, now.


I'll make some car updates soon, it's just been nutty lately and I'm at Dragoncon this weekend, so the madness continues.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!