Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! - Page 421

post #6301 of 7128
Left turn for a non sequitur...

We now have the ability to build robots that can solve puzzles, move faster and be more precise than any human. So, naturally, this is what we do with them...

post #6302 of 7128

Next they,ll be coming after our jobs:eek:

post #6303 of 7128
Quote:
Originally Posted by gikigill View Post

Next they,ll be coming after our jobs:eek:

They can have mine and good luck to them. By noon, either their little silicon brains would explode, or they would give the command to kill all humans.

What I actually find interesting is that the first quick spins are to determine the current configuration of every side. After those spins, the entire solution is already known and then they are just executing the moves to achieve the result.
Edited by billybob_jcv - 3/15/14 at 5:59pm
post #6304 of 7128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

Not too demanding, are ya? tongue.gif

Mother of God... http://www.auctionsamerica.com/events/feature-lots.cfm?SaleCode=FL14&ID=r0250

eek.gif


Love the Alfa.(It would make a good pairing with a Sonnet IV):)

 

Allison IO turboshaft engines can be had surplus fairly cheap, make a great batmobile powerplant.

 

And on that note, you could of course design and build your own period roadster. Updating the update concept as it were. Carbon tub, with formed aluminum bodywork and pull rod suspension. I'm sure you have a V12 of decent pedigree lying around somewhere. Now that would be a project.

post #6305 of 7128
You have two choices:

1) Get the Bat-Turbine running, or
2) Learn the Batusi

post #6306 of 7128
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post


They can have mine and good luck to them. By noon, either their little silicon brains would explode, or they would give the command to kill all humans.

What I actually find interesting is that the first quick spins are to determine the current configuration of every side. After those spins, the entire solution is already known and then they are just executing the moves to achieve the result.


So essentially it's a preprogrammed rubiks cube solver. Really no more smarts than an automotive assembly robot then

 

Your job is safe.

 

F1 first race in progress. Cripes these new motors make the pack sound like a herd of industrial weed whackers.

post #6307 of 7128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutnicks View Post

Cripes these new motors make the pack sound like a herd of industrial weed whackers.

Thanks for that, I recognised the sound - just couldn't place it :bigsmile_face:

post #6308 of 7128
Thread Starter 
That 365GTB/4 Daytona went for a good price yesterday, @525k. That's ~100k below CVM, and all the cars I got were at least 25% below. I'm absolutely going to need to pay more attention to AA's auctions from now on.

On the docket today, another Amphicar! rolleyes.gif
Edited by Magick Man - 3/16/14 at 7:30am
post #6309 of 7128
Quote:

As far as 70s creations of the sort go, that's probably one of the best I've seen. Usually they're based on a Mustang II or a Beetle, and have squared-off edges all over the place.

post #6310 of 7128
Thread Starter 
Yeah, it is. XJ120 base and all-steel body. Look at the shifter linkage. Sexy.


Edited by Magick Man - 3/16/14 at 7:37am
post #6311 of 7128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutnicks View Post


So essentially it's a preprogrammed rubiks cube solver. Really no more smarts than an automotive assembly robot then

Your job is safe.

F1 first race in progress. Cripes these new motors make the pack sound like a herd of industrial weed whackers.

True - but consider how many jobs do fall into the category of preprogrammed responses to predefined situations. The only trick is in recognizing exactly which situation you are in. In fact, this pretty much describes most jobs in management.
post #6312 of 7128
Thread Starter 
Nabbed a `58 Triumph TR3A, only $12,500. That will be a cool little resto project.
post #6313 of 7128
What does it typically cost to transport a vehicle you buy at auction? I imagine it depends on the distance. For example, what did it cost to ship a car from Monterey, CA to you?
post #6314 of 7128
Thread Starter 
Yeah, distance is everything, but from Cali, "white glove" service, in an enclosed trailer, it was $2200 /car. However, that can go up fast with cars that need special handling and extra travel insurance, which is any car >200k. That's case-by-case and runs 3-5k, or more. From Fla, it's ~ 1/2 that.
post #6315 of 7128
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmers View Post
 

Thanks for that, I recognised the sound - just couldn't place it :bigsmile_face:

You weren't there by any chance were you? Fist time for an Aussie on the podium. The little Dane looking completely overwhelmed by a podium finish first time in an F1 car too. Could be an interesting season if we get more performances like this. Man has Alan Jones packed on the weight!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post


True - but consider how many jobs do fall into the category of preprogrammed responses to predefined situations. The only trick is in recognizing exactly which situation you are in. In fact, this pretty much describes most jobs in management.

I'll I'm trying to say is computationally it's not a terribly impressive feat.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!