Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! - Page 42

post #616 of 7376

nice choice on the color scheme for the mclaren

cant wait you to tell us you've soiled your pants when they arrive since they look better than in pictures biggrin.gif

post #617 of 7376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

You don't want a car built on a Friday because everyone is looking forward to the weekend and not focusing on their work, and you don't want one built on a Monday because they're still hungover. Tuesday - Thursday is ideal.

Hah!

Also, the champion former owner of the Mini should've known better than to try Coke - Mythbusters found that bleach and sand were more effective at destroying their test engine. Or he could've been actually smart (and paid his bills rolleyes.gif), and done serious damage. But glad you got it all sorted.
post #618 of 7376
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyash View Post

nice choice on the color scheme for the mclaren
cant wait you to tell us you've soiled your pants when they arrive since they look better than in pictures biggrin.gif

I've seen the MP4 coupe in person, but not the spider. To be frank, it didn't blow me away, at least not like the 458 did. The spider is a different thing though. I think it looks awesome in pictures and can only imagine that it's 100% better "in the flesh". There's going to be a McLaren meet in Nashville in November and we're going, I can't wait.
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post

Hah!
Also, the champion former owner of the Mini should've known better than to try Coke - Mythbusters found that bleach and sand were more effective at destroying their test engine. Or he could've been actually smart (and paid his bills rolleyes.gif), and done serious damage. But glad you got it all sorted.

Ironically, the car guys told me what he essentially did was help super-clean the crank case, once they flushed it too. They sincerely doubt that it damaged any seals, and it probably only removed any deposits that had built up. We'll keep an eye on things, but so far it runs/drives like new. Probably better than new actually, since we put on better tires than it had from the factory. We went out again and Mrs M did some more driving, and aside from a couple stalls, she's getting the hang of it and stays calm (more or less). Her throttle smoothness on changes needs some work, but that comes with practice. I'm proud of her. Garage exterior is done and the doors are hung, plumbing and electrical are finished. They're working inside now and the guys will be here this Thursday to spray the epoxy floor covering.
post #619 of 7376

My taxi today got passed on the highway by a black Ferrari 348ts....the driver and I were both openly gawking....lol.

This is really the only angle we got much of a look at.......

post #620 of 7376
Magick: It occurs to me that so far, your car collection is biased heavily to British. Aston, McLaren - and the Rolls & Mini, although technically now owned by the Germans, are more likely to be used to pick-up fish & chips than braut & pretzels.

Ok, you do have the Porsche representing the Bavarians, and of course Detroit is represented with the CTS-V. I'm fine with skipping the French & the Japanese, but, you really need something from Italia.

Ferrari is the obvious choice with many great cars of every vintage. IMHO, Pagani would compete too closely with the McLaren, and I think the Mac should stand alone for a while. Personally, I like the mid-60s Maserati coupes (eg 3500 GT) - I have no idea what they cost, but they are gorgeous!
post #621 of 7376
Thread Starter 
It isn't that I didn't want an Italian supercar, I couldn't get them to sell me one. Now I couldn't care less about a Ferrari, new or used, but a Lamborghini is still in my sights. I very much want an Aventador, and I'll get one as soon as I see one for sale at a price I want to pay (<$350k). It's going to be a while though, I've been on a tear and spent too much money lately. I need to build up again before doing anything like that.

I've considered a used Mas GranTurismo, their retail drops like a stone after 3-4 years and they're relatively inexpensive for an Italian. Like this `08 for $64k with only 19k miles on it.



That's pretty.
post #622 of 7376
I like that Maserati, but at first glance I thought it was a DB7. What about going older with a Lamborghini? Like the Diablo for example.
post #623 of 7376
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post

I like that Maserati, but at first glance I thought it was a DB7. What about going older with a Lamborghini? Like the Diablo for example.

They're a nightmare to drive, I've driven a Diablo and ridden in one of the last Countaches, a 25th anniversary model, and they're both god-awful. Hot, bad visibility, difficult to shift, clutches heavier than big rigs, and handle like broken hovercraft. Sure are pretty, though. smily_headphones1.gif The Murcielago is the first big Lambo that's decent to drive, but even with them, the whole time you get the feeling they're plotting to kill you. Still, you can find them in great shape for under 200k. Like this 2008 with only 4400 miles on it.



That's a nice paint job, just needs a big wing on the back!
Edited by Magick Man - 10/14/12 at 2:50pm
post #624 of 7376
That car is too blue. And I never said they were practical :P. We just needed another Italian car to suggest for you, and I'm guessing that despite the Charlie Sheen cred, the 500 Abarth probably wouldn't do it for you.
post #625 of 7376
I think one of the reasons the cars in the last 5-10 years are so much classier than the previous 20 years is because they are now using design cues based on the cars from the mid 60s. IMHO, the 70s & early 80s were not a good time for car designers. In the 70s, it's like the designers suddenly forgot how to draw a curve. I wonder if it's another indication of the advances that have been made in aerodynamic flow modeling - in the 60s, cars were just designed to be beautiful. By the mid-70s, cars were being designed with aerodynamics as a significant factor - but the modeling methods were crude - straight lines and angles were easier than curves. Now, the curves have returned - and they cars are more aerodynamically stable & efficient than ever before. All hail Bernoulli, Euler, Navier & Stokes!
post #626 of 7376
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

I think one of the reasons the cars in the last 5-10 years are so much classier than the previous 20 years is because they are now using design cues based on the cars from the mid 60s. IMHO, the 70s & early 80s were not a good time for car designers. In the 70s, it's like the designers suddenly forgot how to draw a curve. I wonder if it's another indication of the advances that have been made in aerodynamic flow modeling - in the 60s, cars were just designed to be beautiful. By the mid-70s, cars were being designed with aerodynamics as a significant factor - but the modeling methods were crude - straight lines and angles were easier than curves. Now, the curves have returned - and they cars are more aerodynamically stable & efficient than ever before. All hail Bernoulli, Euler, Navier & Stokes!

Hey, there's some very nice box-boats from the 1970s and 1980s, thank you very much. Who needs aerodynamics when you have a V8? tongue.gif
post #627 of 7376
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post


Hey, there's some very nice box-boats from the 1970s and 1980s, thank you very much. Who needs aerodynamics when you have a V8? tongue.gif

Like this behemoth? biggrin.gif

post #628 of 7376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post


They're a nightmare to drive, I've driven a Diablo and ridden in one of the last Countaches, a 25th anniversary model, and they're both god-awful. Hot, bad visibility, difficult to shift, clutches heavier than big rigs, and handle like broken hovercraft. Sure are pretty, though. smily_headphones1.gif The Murcielago is the first big Lambo that's decent to drive, but even with them, the whole time you get the feeling they're plotting to kill you. Still, you can find them in great shape for under 200k. Like this 2008 with only 4400 miles on it.

That's a nice paint job, just needs a big wing on the back!


True the Diablo is much harder to drive but some want that. The raw adrenaline of having to control such a beast. That is what makes the experience that much better IMO. The newer cars are toys in comparison to the older days but much more user friendly to everyday drivers. If I had that luxury I'd probably go for a Bugatti Veyron, ultimate in refinement...


Edited by lee730 - 10/14/12 at 5:02pm
post #629 of 7376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achmedisdead View Post

Like this behemoth? biggrin.gif

YES! beerchug.gif
post #630 of 7376
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post


YES! beerchug.gif

What was that, about 6,000 lbs, and probably 400+ cubic inches (that's over 7 liters for the young people reading) under the hood?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!