Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! - Page 408

post #6106 of 7312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post


Used Miata too, or even a Z3 or S2000, if you can find one that's mostly unmolested. Another is an E30 or E28 M, they're getting scarce but still pop up for <20k. Gotta say no to the Prius, simply the worst handling car I've ever driven, just awful. If gas mileage is key then a used Fiat 500 could be an option.

The P1800S needs much work, but is put away, it might be a while before we get to it. The Elite is fine as is, runs like a top with its tiny 1.4L with dual Webers. Of course it doesn't have power anything but it's so light it doesn't matter, it's very precise and sharp little car. We're not doing anything to it, they detailed it and checked the fluids, but it's perfect as is.


At that price range you'd be looking at an older Z3 and I'd have to caution about the maintenance costs. They were not the most reliable cars BMW made your other 2 picks are a better choice. S2k for sure the Miata absolutely. Might also want to have a look round the Toyota stable in that zone. I'd venture Subaru, but once again maintenance is the killer there.

post #6107 of 7312
I assume you are just trolling here with your Prius comments, but I'm bored, so I'll play along...

The main complaint I have with the Prius is not that it is slower than a 3-legged cow, but rather that it is a cheaply made and extremely overpriced car - that is also slower than a 3-legged cow. Seriously - the interior is horrid and the exterior is horrid. It handles poorly and can't get out of it's own way. I would rather have a Ford Fiesta, Hyundai Accent or even a Chevy Sonic. Regardless of what is under the hood, all 3 of those cars are simply *better cars* than a Prius - and they cost at least 25% less. I wouldn't buy a Prius if it shat rainbows and chocolate ice cream.
post #6108 of 7312
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

I assume you are just trolling here with your Prius comments, but I'm bored, so I'll play along...

The main complaint I have with the Prius is not that it is slower than a 3-legged cow, but rather that it is a cheaply made and extremely overpriced car - that is also slower than a 3-legged cow. Seriously - the interior is horrid and the exterior is horrid. It handles poorly and can't get out of it's own way. I would rather have a Ford Fiesta, Hyundai Accent or even a Chevy Sonic. Regardless of what is under the hood, all 3 of those cars are simply *better cars* than a Prius - and they cost at least 25% less. I wouldn't buy a Prius if it shat rainbows and chocolate ice cream.

My god! You ARE a Brony:D

 

What early hybrid isn't overpriced, underpowered and underbuilt? Would I buy one, no. Would I drive one for free, yeah sure, why not.

It's what happens when governments interfere with industry by offering grants, rebates, and bonuses for things they have no comprehension of. The manu takes the cheapest shortest route to get the money and the consumer suffers.

 

Buy the AMG Gullwing if you have to have an electric car, and don't frig around with halfway solutions which, in the South Park vernacular are always a choice between a Schitt Sandwich and a Giant ******.

 

Good news is electric is already getting better. Now what the hell do you do with a bunch of useless econo hybrids in a few years when the tek is so obsolete it makes an IBM XT look like current gen?

post #6109 of 7312

If it wasnt for Govt subsidies, there would be no Prius to speak of and no one would take hybrids seriously.

post #6110 of 7312
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gikigill View Post

If it wasnt for Govt subsidies, there would be no Prius to speak of and no one would take hybrids seriously.

That's a fact, except for a small sector of Los Angeles.


Nissan R34 update: Can you spot what's wrong in this picture? redface.gif


post #6111 of 7312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post


That's a fact, except for a small sector of Los Angeles.

Nissan R34 update: Can you spot what's wrong in this picture? redface.gif



Ooops:eek:

post #6112 of 7312
Thread Starter 
That wasn't all us, I could already tell there was some slippage going on in 1st.
post #6113 of 7312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

That wasn't all us, I could already tell there was some slippage going on in 1st.


What rpm was it turning when it gave up?

post #6114 of 7312
FYI - that pedal to the left of the brake is a clutch... tongue.gif
post #6115 of 7312
Wouldn't have guessed it. Thanks for the PSA billybob.
post #6116 of 7312
Thread Starter 
It was gradual, but I knew there was a problem as soon as I drove it. The fact it makes >800bhp didn't help. However, the real pain is that it shares oil with the diff... so, yeah... rolleyes.gif
post #6117 of 7312

post #6118 of 7312
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrock64 View Post
 

I don't know if they ever did a proper review, but they ran a Prius flat-out on a track with a BMW M3 keeping page behind it to prove that the M3 would get better gas mileage under conditions of speed because it wasn't being pushed as hard.

IIRC they had in the early seasons (before double digits)

post #6119 of 7312
Thread Starter 
Here's your Porsche supercar. I'd rather have this over the 918, any day.

http://www.goodingco.com/vehicle/1988-porsche-959-sport/
post #6120 of 7312
You're gonna need a special emissions certificate for that one, if I remember correctly.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!