Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! - Page 404

post #6046 of 7376
This morning I saw *two* Tesla (Tesli?) on my commute. Pretty soon they are going to be as thick as Priui... wink.gif
post #6047 of 7376
Thread Starter 
Well, at least the Model S is a serious performance car, unlike the Prius. biggrin.gif

Subject change.


Remember the `08 911 Turbo cabrio from the last auction, the one I bought with the intent to sell? Well, after having it serviced, nothing major, and detailing it, we found a buyer. For fairly close to retail too, partly because it has such low mileage and because it's a rather rare 6-spd M/T cabrio, in triple black (only 80 of those were built). It may just be the only manly, convertible, modern Porsche I've ever seen. No, it doesn't stop most hipster idiots and JDM tuners from thinking it's a Boxster, but once you put your foot in it, they soon learn the difference. Err, anyway, I digress. So the guy said he wanted it then disappeared for a couple days, then he called and said he was waffling (likely trying to haggle me down), and I told him to think about it, but that I couldn't guarantee it would be available later. He said, "okay, I understand".

Fast forward a couple weeks, and during that time I've been driving it. The fact is, I like it, a lot. The steering is to die for, no electronic crap here, and it feels crisp, especially with its optional CC brakes and the best 3-pedal action since bicycles-built-for-2 were all the rage. It was made for heel-toe, believe it, and there's the awesome, awesome gearbox. The 6-spd in it puts the 7 in the 991 to shame, badly. You have to believe that Porsche did that on purpose to kill manual tranny sales and push people to PDK, there's no question. Boo! Well, since the guy didn't get in touch with us, I decided I wasn't going to look for another buyer and we swapped the ECU and dyno tuned it, for an extra 60hp (up to 550), put on some lighter blacked-out HRE wheels, and brand new Pilot SS rubber. Holy crap, all that combined puts it up into supercar territory, with a real 3sec 0-60 and more grip than just about anything I've ever driven.





Anyhow, I fell in love after that... and sure enough, today the guy who was previously interested called to tell me he's interested again. So we told him that, regrettably, it wasn't available anymore. Then he called again and *I* told him that it wasn't available, he asked if I'd sold it to someone else and I told him, "no, I've become attached to it and decided to keep it". I explained that we put a lot more money and work into it and now it isn't for sale. Well, that set him off. He offered more money, I said no. He practically begged, I said, "sorry, but no". Then he got nasty and started swearing at me, so I told him to act his age (he's a little older than I am). That didn't go well at all, because then he threatened me with, "I'll make sure you get yours, MF'er". So I hung up on him. Why do I get these lunatics? What am I doing to attract them? Now I suppose I have some hot-head, cowboy, restaurateur out to get me.
post #6048 of 7376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

Well, at least the Model S is a serious performance car, unlike the Prius. biggrin.gif

Subject change.

Remember the `08 911 Turbo cabrio from the last auction, the one I bought with the intent to sell? Well, after having it serviced, nothing major, and detailing it, we found a buyer. For fairly close to retail too, partly because it has such low mileage and because it's a rather rare 6-spd M/T cabrio, in triple black (only 80 of those were built). It may just be the only manly, convertible, modern Porsche I've ever seen. No, it doesn't stop most hipster idiots and JDM tuners from thinking it's a Boxster, but once you put your foot in it, they soon learn the difference. Err, anyway, I digress. So the guy said he wanted it then disappeared for a couple days, then he called and said he was waffling (likely trying to haggle me down), and I told him to think about it, but that I couldn't guarantee it would be available later. He said, "okay, I understand".

Fast forward a couple weeks, and during that time I've been driving it. The fact is, I like it, a lot. The steering is to die for, no electronic crap here, and it feels crisp, especially with its optional CC brakes and the best 3-pedal action since bicycles-built-for-2 were all the rage. It was made for heel-toe, believe it, and there's the awesome, awesome gearbox. The 6-spd in it puts the 7 in the 991 to shame, badly. You have to believe that Porsche did that on purpose to kill manual tranny sales and push people to PDK, there's no question. Boo! Well, since the guy didn't get in touch with us, I decided I wasn't going to look for another buyer and we swapped the ECU and dyno tuned it, for an extra 60hp (up to 550), put on some lighter blacked-out HRE wheels, and brand new Pilot SS rubber. Holy crap, all that combined puts it up into supercar territory, with a real 3sec 0-60 and more grip than just about anything I've ever driven.





Anyhow, I fell in love after that... and sure enough, today the guy who was previously interested called to tell me he's interested again. So we told him that, regrettably, it wasn't available anymore. Then he called again and *I* told him that it wasn't available, he asked if I'd sold it to someone else and I told him, "no, I've become attached to it and decided to keep it". I explained that we put a lot more money and work into it and now it isn't for sale. Well, that set him off. He offered more money, I said no. He practically begged, I said, "sorry, but no". Then he got nasty and started swearing at me, so I told him to act his age (he's a little older than I am). That didn't go well at all, because then he threatened me with, "I'll make sure you get yours, MF'er". So I hung up on him. Why do I get these lunatics? What am I doing to attract them? Now I suppose I have some hot-head, cowboy, restaurateur out to get me.


Manly , Porsche,  Convertable. I know those words and they do not go together. Not since the 550 spyder at least.

 

The negotiation thing obviously broke down there Magick.:D Let me ask you. How would it have gone if the roles were reversed?

You get two people used to achieving their goals locked in combat over a status item, It ain't gonna end well:wink_face:

post #6049 of 7376
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post


I've spent nearly 30 years trying (and failing) to understand her particular brand of logic. The casual observer hasn't got a prayer of figuring it out. You will just hurt yourself if you keep trying. This is more like special relativity. You can either spend a lifetime studying it, or you can just accept that E=mc^2 and move on to something truly important...

In this case, I would imagine that in her mind, someone that would buy me a car, would have remodeled our kitchen or sent my daughter to college or something similarly "useful".

Many years ago, we had unofficially settled on an amount of ~$100 a month as the amount we could each spend "foolishly" without the need to consult each other. That amount grew to ~$200 during our peak earning period in ~2005-2007. Unfortunately, 2008 thru 2011 was not a good time at our house, and the foolish number went to $0. We're still digging out from that dark time, and we're now at a place where we could once again start to spend a bit on ourselves - EXCEPT - we also have the looming cost of college for the kids screaming toward us in the next 1.5 years.

So - that's a really long way to say that we don't spend much on ourselves these days. I'm not going to pretend we spend nothing - but it's more likely to be a good meal & a bottle of wine rather than some audio gear or hobby item for myself, or whatever the heck she would buy for herself.

Didnt you say you were replacing the elantra? Why not a sleeper car? A fast car that dosent look fast like the S60 polestar or an Subaru Legacy (Inline Six version or the turbo 2.5 ofc) IMO Thats hitting 2 birds with one stone :tongue:

post #6050 of 7376
Well, look at the bright side, if he tries to chase you down in his pick-up, he'll never be able to catch you if you are in the Porsche...

And, again, I hate to tell ya I told ya so - but have you actually sold any of the cars you bought with the intent to resell? You are collector, not a dealer. You are only going to buy cars you like, and you are going to love them after you have fixed them up to be sale-worthy. You can't like cars if you want to be a dealer - they need to simply be a product with a profit potential.

Here's my advice: Only buy cars that are a step-up from a car you already have. For example, you now have a 911 triple-black cabrio in your collection. OK, so if you see another 911 triple-black cabrio for sale, and it is *better* than the one you have, buy it. Then sell the one you have. That way, your collection always gets better, and you can sell the duplicates. My bet is that you are never going to be happy about selling a car that you don't already have in your collection.

However, here's the catch - as a collector, you are into the minutiae of the cars - like knowing that there are only 80 examples of a triple black cabrio 911. If you are always looking for the minutiae that makes the car you buy *unique*, then even if it looks the same to everyone else, it will be different to *you* - and you won't want to sell it...

Let's face it - you're screwed... tongue.gif
post #6051 of 7376
Thread Starter 
I'll have you know I've sold 3 of the muscle cars... okay, I sold one and the other two ended up with my mechanics who are, or will be, "making payments" on them. However, I have another 4 on permanent loan to the local muscle car museum, so that's about the same. I didn't think I'd fall for a convertible 911, due to the high d-bag factor associated with driving one (people regularly swoop and squat when they see one, so you learn to brake fast), but it's too fun to sell. They're really amazing cars, the 997 turbos, they're so conservatively tuned from the factory it's insane. 600-650bhp is pretty standard, with very few mechanical upgrades. The only real problem, aside from other people's perceptions, is how difficult it is to do any service yourself, you need experience with engineering and advanced origami to figure it out, since the engine is crammed into a space that's smaller than the average dorm fridge. It's darned well just about the perfect modern sports car, the only thing it's missing is a proper roof for when weather gets particularly nasty, but we've got that covered... literally, after a repaint. smily_headphones1.gif

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, z1.1.0. ||B2

I'm not worried about the blowhard, I was mocking his idle threats. I've learned not to get bent out of shape over sellers changing their minds, or even selling cars out from under me. That's part of the bidness and happens all the time. Until it arrives, with proper paperwork, and escrow properly clears (when applicable) anything can happen. I've not been seriously ripped off before, like buying a car that's stolen or severely misrepresented *knock on wood*, but that's also common enough to make you wary and watchful.
Edited by Magick Man - 2/26/14 at 10:25am
post #6052 of 7376

I thought the GT 3 was the perfect sports car:D

 

I think I'm detecting some Zuffenhausen syndrome thing going on here.  There's probably medication for that, most likely made by IG Farben:wink_face: 


Edited by Hutnicks - 2/26/14 at 12:22pm
post #6053 of 7376
You haven't watched the latest episode of Top Gear, have you Hutnicks since you're recommending the GT3 so eagerly.
post #6054 of 7376
Quote:
Originally Posted by gikigill View Post

You haven't watched the latest episode of Top Gear, have you Hutnicks since you're recommending the GT3 so eagerly.


No I have not. I'm not a fan of anything VW makes so assume sarcasm whenever they enter my posts:)

post #6055 of 7376
The new GT3 supposedly has Italian roots since they are being reported to self immolate for no apparent reason. Hamster bought his new GT3 on the show and both Jezza and May took the piss out of him.
post #6056 of 7376
The reason I don't like VW is they are more expensive to repair than a Mercedes-Benz in Australia and the image of I couldn't afford a proper German car so I bought this. Its the Boxster effect.
post #6057 of 7376
Thread Starter 
From the "scrap" we bought from the dealer in Dubai. Balanced and blueprinted twin turbo Flat-12 from a 512TR revving to 7500 RPMs, making 796bhp & 626 torques.



"What are you going to put that into?" Well, I'm glad you asked...



Kit will be in next month. biggrin.gif
Edited by Magick Man - 2/26/14 at 3:30pm
post #6058 of 7376
I almost bought a Stratos once. I don't fit in them though frown.gif
post #6059 of 7376
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutnicks View Post

I thought the GT 3 was the perfect sports car:D

I think I'm detecting some Zuffenhausen syndrome thing going on here.  There's probably medication for that, most likely made by IG Farben:wink_face:  

The 991 Porsche isn't a sports car, the 911 is a sports GT now. The 997 was the last. If you want a new sports car from Porsche you'll need to buy a Boxster or Cayman. redface.gif
post #6060 of 7376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post


The 991 Porsche isn't a sports car, the 911 is a sports GT now. The 997 was the last. If you want a new sports car from Porsche you'll need to buy a Boxster or Cayman. redface.gif


Geez, and I thought my Porsche posts were riddled with sarcasm:D  You couldn't give me either one for free.Fitting somehow the alligator is being made in the golf factory these days. Think the crotchter comes out of the same building. Not surprising the best seller in the stable is the Tuareg Cayenne. I'm waiting with bated breath for the minivan.

 

Porsche makes great race cars, their problem has always been they used the same build  maintence and pricing models for their road vehicles.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!