Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! - Page 350

post #5236 of 7868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

The entire area is without internet. According to AT&T the main node for the area took a dump and its bombed every ISP around here. How does that happen Billy? Don't they keep spares of those around? Aren't these systems supposed to be redundant? Right now I'm connected via dial-up and I'd forgotten how painful it is. redface.gif

:eek:

 

I vaguely remember those days....33.6 modem, connected to a PC with a CPU speed of 90MHz (said PC struggling to run Windows 95), Netscape Navigator. 20-odd minutes to download and view a 20 second animated GIF, Yahoo chat rooms....damn we've come a long way! 

post #5237 of 7868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

The entire area is without internet. According to AT&T the main node for the area took a dump and its bombed every ISP around here. How does that happen Billy? Don't they keep spares of those around? Aren't these systems supposed to be redundant? Right now I'm connected via dial-up and I'd forgotten how painful it is. redface.gif


Sounds like a main switch blew or a trunk line got chopped or both. They should be able to do a re route around the problem but it comes down to cost benefit there. Do you move all that traffic into another stream and risk hitting thresholds there and potentially causing more trouble or wait for the problem fix and hope everyone forgives the outage. Who actually owns which particular trunk line can come into play here as well.

post #5238 of 7868
The last time something like that happened in Dallas, the root cause was some dumb@ss tech who *thought* he deployed a firmware change to a test router, but instead rolled it out to an entire set of core production routers at a Dallas central node. What's even worse is that the idjit pushed the button right at the end of his shift, then packed-up and went home - and no one knew what the heck happened. It took several hours for the mess to be unraveled - and meanwhile over half of Dallas was kaput.

For emergencies like this you need a 4G MiFi device.
post #5239 of 7868
post #5240 of 7868
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

The last time something like that happened in Dallas, the root cause was some dumb@ss tech who *thought* he deployed a firmware change to a test router, but instead rolled it out to an entire set of core production routers at a Dallas central node. What's even worse is that the idjit pushed the button right at the end of his shift, then packed-up and went home - and no one knew what the heck happened. It took several hours for the mess to be unraveled - and meanwhile over half of Dallas was kaput.

For emergencies like this you need a 4G MiFi device.

I have one, it wasn't working either. They got it fixed some time this morning, no explanation, just "here ya go, it works now". This whole area was pretty much blacked out except for Comcast and Charter. I'm still not sure how that could happen.
post #5241 of 7868
Thread Starter 
In auto news, this R34 Skyline was driven by Walker in F&F, and now the vulture current owner just put it up for sale. The price? Nearly $1.4M. blink.gif

http://jalopnik.com/paul-walkers-fast-and-the-furious-skyline-for-sale-for-1485091647?utm_campaign=socialflow_jalopnik_twitter&utm_source=jalopnik_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow
post #5242 of 7868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

In auto news, this R34 Skyline was driven by Walker in F&F, and now the vulture current owner just put it up for sale. The price? Nearly $1.4M. blink.gif

http://jalopnik.com/paul-walkers-fast-and-the-furious-skyline-for-sale-for-1485091647?utm_campaign=socialflow_jalopnik_twitter&utm_source=jalopnik_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

 

One of the comments below the article said this was a picture of the seller...

 

post #5243 of 7868

Magicdaddy here's a T2 sale that you'd might be interested in:

 

http://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/k172471947

post #5244 of 7868
Thread Starter 
I'm really happy with my BHSE, it and my SRM-717 are the only stat amps I need. But thanks. smily_headphones1.gif
post #5245 of 7868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

I have one, it wasn't working either. They got it fixed some time this morning, no explanation, just "here ya go, it works now". This whole area was pretty much blacked out except for Comcast and Charter. I'm still not sure how that could happen.

I'm surprised Comcast & Charter were still up. I did check the network status in the TW Telecom portal to see if they showed anything down in your area, but I didn't see anything specific. Maybe someone posted something at DSL Reports? I'll check...
post #5246 of 7868

OK I just sat through" 1 "and am perplexed. Has anyone else seen this documentary? I am not sure whether it was done out of genuine interests in the evolution of safety in the sport, or if it was a Propaganda film for the likes of Ecclestroll and Max Mosley. Left a bad smell with me for some reason.

post #5247 of 7868
Once again, karma proves to be a bi-atch. I just heard that my ex-boss from my previous company just got the boot. He's the guy who hired me away from a good job and then laid me off after 9 months - a week after I got back from a vacation. I'm afraid I'm just not a good enough person to feel sorry for him. If I see him, I'm likely to just point and laugh.
post #5248 of 7868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutnicks View Post

OK I just sat through" 1 "and am perplexed. Has anyone else seen this documentary? I am not sure whether it was done out of genuine interests in the evolution of safety in the sport, or if it was a Propaganda film for the likes of Ecclestroll and Max Mosley. Left a bad smell with me for some reason.

The idea that the "sport" needs to impose safety rules has always perplexed me. Why would the mfr make a car that is not safe and why would the driver get in a car that is not safe? If they take the risk, then they assume the consequences. Evolution in action.
post #5249 of 7868
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

Once again, karma proves to be a bi-atch. I just heard that my ex-boss from my previous company just got the boot. He's the guy who hired me away from a good job and then laid me off after 9 months - a week after I got back from a vacation. I'm afraid I'm just not a good enough person to feel sorry for him. If I see him, I'm likely to just point and laugh.

 

I think most of us would do the same.

 

Yesterday in Walmart, I looked down to read an incoming text message, and a woman cut in front of me as the cart ahead of me had just moved forward. The man in front of her looked back at me, wondering if I was going to say anything, and I just gave a wistful shrug...trying to be nice to people during the holiday season, you know? So I just let it go. The redneck-looking fellow behind me asked me quietly if she had indeed just done that, and right then I noticed what was in her cart....two packages of some sort of adult "absorbent underwear" (so the package stated). So I turned back to him and said, very quietly, "Look what she is buying.....no wonder she's in a hurry to get out of here."  That triggered a loud "Ha!" from him and he turned away trying to keep his composure....by then she was cashing out so I didn't think she noticed us, but the humor of the situation overrode my initial displeasure by far. :D  

post #5250 of 7868
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post


The idea that the "sport" needs to impose safety rules has always perplexed me. Why would the mfr make a car that is not safe and why would the driver get in a car that is not safe? If they take the risk, then they assume the consequences. Evolution in action.


The film actually goes into that a little. And as we all know the ONLY driver ever to make a safety call on whether to race or not  was Lauda.

 

You make an F1 car that's not safe because its faster. Red Bull built their whole F1 empire around that one and got caught out on several occasions. Usually at Weber's expense.

 

As I said the film itself has me perplexed. Narrated by Michael Fassbinder it had a creepy Leni Reifenstahl vibe to it.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!