Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! - Page 33

post #481 of 7865
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

I like that top one.  The gold gives it class!  LOL  biggrin.gif

Come to think of it, why isn't there some kind of contest to see who can build the best car out of a coffin?  It would be like a pinewood derby for adults...

It's been done!


post #482 of 7865
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

Maybe you can return the favor and get James May interested in headphones. I could definitely see him loving some Stax and a combination of high-end dac's and old tube amps.

It didn't come up in the conversation, I was too bust picking his brain about the McLaren MP4. wink.gif It's his favorite sports car of the last 30 years, and that's saying something considering what that man's driven. That was enough for me, I made up my configuration and placed the order. Woot! The contractors for the garage are all set now and they're getting started next week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post


I'd go McLaren too - just based on the CS you're getting. Especially for that money. I still vote CTS-V Wagon. And a prop coffin. very_evil_smiley.gif
lol.


I don't care for the McLaren coupe, it looks too tame for a supercar, but the Spider is bad-a**. Unlike other convertibles it isn't slower than the hardtop and handles the same too. In fact, it has about the same structural rigidity, which is some type of wizardry they pulled off.

Their CS is unreal. The dealer in Chicago called me up this morning and walked me through the ordering, explaining all the options I want (even talked me out of carbon ceramic brakes, saying they were heavier and completely unnecessary), and took my e-check deposit. He's sending me a box of cool swag in the mean time. They also said I could go over and watch my car being built, along with the driver training, and talk with the engineers if I want. In comparison, I received two impersonal and annoyed-sounding emails from Ferrari and no real contact at all. Pfffttt. tongue.gif I can imagine what dealing with them would be like. No thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post


Yup, I remember.  Though the 430 is a very nicely understated supercar in it's own right.  Not exactly drop dead sexy like the 458, but then again neither is Mr. James May if I'm to be honest.

Touché!

Quote:
You know what, I would NOT be surprised to learn that he's already a Head-Fier.  I mean, think about it, why wouldn't he be?

Considering how fussy he's made out to be, and he is a music buff, so I'd say it's a safe bet that he's probably into Hi-Fi.


Coffin-shaped dragsters? Yes! Coffins in dragsters? No way. blink.gif

This is awesome in so many ways.



Edited by Magick Man - 9/27/12 at 5:25pm
post #483 of 7865
Thread Starter 
Oh, and this video also sold me:

Edited by Magick Man - 9/27/12 at 1:48pm
post #484 of 7865
mmmm, dragulas, and Rob Zombie. You're talking my language man.

Also, very cool on the McLaren thing. Question: Does the car at the beginning of Magick's second video, the orange/red paint on it, remind anyone else of the Dodge Copperhead?
post #485 of 7865
So - what will be the daily driver? The 911 or the Mac? Or will you be like Jay Leno and change it up all the time?

Why can't there be a company like McLaren in the USA? I'm talking about a company that has absolutely impeccable high-end racing heritage AND sells production supercars? Sure, there are some supercars made in the USA that might be compared to McLaren, but as far as I know none of them have the racing heritage of McLaren. Cars like the Ford GT40 can claim racing heritage, but are the racing divisions of the Big 3 similar to McLaren or Ferrari? For some reason I don't view them the same way - maybe it's because the actual race teams in Indycar & Nascar seem more separated from the factories than in Formula 1? Or am I just seeing what the typical fan sees without understanding how it really works?

I would have given my left nut to have been able to work in a place like the McLaren TDC. Maybe that's why it makes me mad that there isn't a company like that in the US...

That factory is more impressive than the assembly line that built the F117! Before Lockheed moved production to Palmdale, the F117 was built in a dingy old WWII hanger next to the Burbank Airport. Inside it was hot, the lighting was just OK and it was fairly noisy. Except for the incredibly cool planes in all stages of construction, the Lockheed assembly line looked more like they were building '67 Ramblers instead of $100M jets...
post #486 of 7865
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

So - what will be the daily driver? The 911 or the Mac? Or will you be like Jay Leno and change it up all the time?
Why can't there be a company like McLaren in the USA? I'm talking about a company that has absolutely impeccable high-end racing heritage AND sells production supercars? Sure, there are some supercars made in the USA that might be compared to McLaren, but as far as I know none of them have the racing heritage of McLaren. Cars like the Ford GT40 can claim racing heritage, but are the racing divisions of the Big 3 similar to McLaren or Ferrari? For some reason I don't view them the same way - maybe it's because the actual race teams in Indycar & Nascar seem more separated from the factories than in Formula 1? Or am I just seeing what the typical fan sees without understanding how it really works?

Idk, I know there's builder challengers for NASCAR and so on, but it isn't like Ford or GM directly run a NASCAR team (but they certainly sponsor them).

Regarding production supercars/sportscars in the US, I think Dodge, Ford, and Chevrolet all can lay claim to that title (the Corvette and Viper compete in a large variety of club and endurance trials - I mean, the Corvette has won Le Mans, Daytona, and Sebring (Chevy is also the leader for manufacturer wins in NASCAR); I'm aware of the Viper competing in at least SCCA club racing, I'm not 100% sure if they (presently, historically, or in the future) compete in GT at Daytona or similar events though (the vehicle is certainly capable), and Dodge does exist within NASCAR - you already mentioned the GT40 and I know Mustang is popular in SCCA and elsewhere, according to Wikipedia the Mustang also competes in GT3 and GT4).

I think part of the difference is product positioning. In other words, Ford's goal is to sell cars, and they use auto racing to stir up attention for their cars. Whereas McLaren's goal is to race cars.
Quote:
I would have given my left nut to have been able to work in a place like the McLaren TDC. Maybe that's why it makes me mad that there isn't a company like that in the US...
That factory is more impressive than the assembly line that built the F117! Before Lockheed moved production to Palmdale, the F117 was built in a dingy old WWII hanger next to the Burbank Airport. Inside it was hot, the lighting was just OK and it was fairly noisy. Except for the incredibly cool planes in all stages of construction, the Lockheed assembly line looked more like they were building '67 Ramblers instead of $100M jets...

Reminds me of the whole Armageddon thing "ten thousand moving parts, two nuclear weapons, and a few thousand tons of rocket fuel - all built by the lowest bidder, kind of inspires confidence, doesn't it?" tongue.gif
post #487 of 7865
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

It's been done!

 

DAMMIT!  Still I think it'd be fun to participate.  Anyone want to get a Head-Fi team together?  tongue.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

Touché!

Considering how fussy he's made out to be, and he is a music buff, so I'd say it's a safe bet that he's probably into Hi-Fi.

 

Not a dig at him though, just being factual.  Of course, he did get all dressed up in leather for a bike ad once, but that's a sight I'd like to forget.

 

Yeah, I would bet he does a bit of lurking here on occasion.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

Why can't there be a company like McLaren in the USA? I'm talking about a company that has absolutely impeccable high-end racing heritage AND sells production supercars? Sure, there are some supercars made in the USA that might be compared to McLaren, but as far as I know none of them have the racing heritage of McLaren.

 

Well people are trying.  Panoz and Mosler come to mind.  Mosler's having a hard time trying not to get banned everywhere they go though...

post #488 of 7865
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

DAMMIT!  Still I think it'd be fun to participate.  Anyone want to get a Head-Fi team together?  tongue.gif

Mmm, dragulen. I like that thought very much. Needs more Magnum V10 and fire breathing though. (What? I didn't say I liked the idea of the soapbox derby - I'm imagining something more like an unlimited-class tractor mated with a modern casket (and we could go with a modern big-people casket to add a passenger seat) and cheater slicks on the back-end; I want to get there, and I want to get there first and loudest - and after all, the point is the vehicle from hell very_evil_smiley.gif).
post #489 of 7865
With regard to Pinewood Derby cars, my son's cars were both my greatest achievement and my greatest moment of shame as a Dad...

I must admit that I used my google superpowers and my knowledge of physics for evil personal glory. The other Dad's in his Boy Scout troop didn't know what hit them.

- Highly polished and trued axles with graphite powder
- Slightly beveled wheels to reduce the contact area with the ground
- The body was carved very thin with a bolt running through at a point just ahead of the rear wheels. On this bolt was placed lead weights to bring the car to EXACTLY the limit of 5 oz. ALL of the weight of the car was concentrated in the optimum spot to maximize acceleration down the ramp. When the weighmaster saw the car with the stack of lead on it, he laughed and said it would be way over weight. His mouth dropped when it was 5 oz right on the nose.
- The front of the car was carved up so that the lip barely caught the front track peg holding the car at the start. When the peg was pulled down to start the car, our car started to move FIRST - well before the other cars. This was a HUGE advantage.

After decimating the entire troop, I really was ashamed of myself. It's not that the other Dad's didn't also do most of the work on their kid's cars (they did), but it just seemed so petty - and I actually lobbied to get our troop to have an "unlimited" class for parents to race each other. It was voted down...
post #490 of 7865
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post

I want to get there, and I want to get there first and loudest - and after all, the point is the vehicle from hell very_evil_smiley.gif).

 

Yeah, I'd be down for that too!  But that's a gateway mod to top fuel - gets pricey from there.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

With regard to Pinewood Derby cars, my son's cars were both my greatest achievement and my greatest moment of shame as a Dad...

I must admit that I used my google superpowers and my knowledge of physics for evil personal glory. The other Dad's in his Boy Scout troop didn't know what hit them.

- Highly polished and trued axles with graphite powder
- Slightly beveled wheels to reduce the contact area with the ground
- The body was carved very thin with a bolt running through at a point just ahead of the rear wheels. On this bolt was placed lead weights to bring the car to EXACTLY the limit of 5 oz. ALL of the weight of the car was concentrated in the optimum spot to maximize acceleration down the ramp. When the weighmaster saw the car with the stack of lead on it, he laughed and said it would be way over weight. His mouth dropped when it was 5 oz right on the nose.
- The front of the car was carved up so that the lip barely caught the front track peg holding the car at the start. When the peg was pulled down to start the car, our car started to move FIRST - well before the other cars. This was a HUGE advantage.

After decimating the entire troop, I really was ashamed of myself. It's not that the other Dad's didn't also do most of the work on their kid's cars (they did), but it just seemed so petty

 

LOL and LOL and LOL some more!  Okay, you you're THAT dad...  surprised you didn't go balls out and have the body laser carved...  biggrin.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

- and I actually lobbied to get our troop to have an "unlimited" class for parents to race each other. It was voted down...

 

Um, ya think?  biggrin.gif

post #491 of 7865
Quote:
Originally Posted by name View Post

DAMMIT!  Still I think it'd be fun to participate.  Anyone want to get a Head-Fi team together?  tongue.gif


Not a dig at him though, just being factual.  Of course, he did get all dressed up in leather for a bike ad once, but that's a sight I'd like to forget.

Yeah, I would bet he does a bit of lurking here on occasion.


Well people are trying.  Panoz and Mosler come to mind.  Mosler's having a hard time trying not to get banned everywhere they go though...

And there is saleen
post #492 of 7865
Thread Starter 
Daily driver? I'll probably just swap around. I'm thinking if the Mrs gets used to it, the Carrera will be a nice car for her. I'm also going to be looking at another CTS-V, which she can drive too. Then I'll put the wretched bug away and save it for when the nephew turns 15.

I'm blown away by McLaren, for them it's all about attention to detail and an almost religious pursuit of the highest ideals. If you watch that video starting at 8:00 and you see what they go through with every single car, no one else does that. So much of their experience and racing technology goes into these cars, the only thing that can compare is F1 car production. When you see that, and talk with them, you get this feeling that the $250K+ price tag is a tremendous value. That it's a car that has no peers or compromises. I don't believe their goal is simply to win championships, it's to outperform everyone they compete against, anywhere. Gah, how am I going to survive the next 3 months? I want it now! biggrin.gif

I remember doing the Pinewood Derby thing. I wanted to work on the car but my dad wouldn't let me. He went mental designing and building it. We won the pack trophy and took 3rd in the regional. He was so disappointed. rolleyes.gif
post #493 of 7865

So I received a new pair of IEMs to review today.  Fell asleep during initial impressions.  Then woke up about 20 minutes later all happy for some reason.  Treated myself to some milk and cookies.  Lemme tell ya gents, do NOT underestimate the power of milk and cookies to make everything better.  Oh happy day!  Now back to gathering impressions...  smile.gif

post #494 of 7865
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

So I received a new pair of IEMs to review today.  Fell asleep during initial impressions.  Then woke up about 20 minutes later all happy for some reason.  Treated myself to some milk and cookies.  Lemme tell ya gents, do NOT underestimate the power of milk and cookies to make everything better.  Oh happy day!  Now back to gathering impressions...  smile.gif

So - I'm thinking that these IEMs will get a high score for "comfort"... wink.gif
post #495 of 7865
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

With regard to Pinewood Derby cars, my son's cars were both my greatest achievement and my greatest moment of shame as a Dad...
I must admit that I used my google superpowers and my knowledge of physics for evil personal glory. The other Dad's in his Boy Scout troop didn't know what hit them.
- Highly polished and trued axles with graphite powder
- Slightly beveled wheels to reduce the contact area with the ground
- The body was carved very thin with a bolt running through at a point just ahead of the rear wheels. On this bolt was placed lead weights to bring the car to EXACTLY the limit of 5 oz. ALL of the weight of the car was concentrated in the optimum spot to maximize acceleration down the ramp. When the weighmaster saw the car with the stack of lead on it, he laughed and said it would be way over weight. His mouth dropped when it was 5 oz right on the nose.
- The front of the car was carved up so that the lip barely caught the front track peg holding the car at the start. When the peg was pulled down to start the car, our car started to move FIRST - well before the other cars. This was a HUGE advantage.
After decimating the entire troop, I really was ashamed of myself. It's not that the other Dad's didn't also do most of the work on their kid's cars (they did), but it just seemed so petty - and I actually lobbied to get our troop to have an "unlimited" class for parents to race each other. It was voted down...

So apparently your son was not in a legit Scout pack. tongue.gif When I was in scouts, most of the dads were pretty hardcore engineers (we had one Shuttle Orbiter engineer, two ICBM designers, a few satellite designers, and a tank designer among others; if anyone was counting) - the graphite, polishing, and wheel trim was standard (one of the dads just went through and doctored the kits up for everyone), and some of the designs were...extremely exotic. So I did the anti-design: I just took the stupid block and put the wheels on it, and to bring it up to weight, put a bunch of screws right in the front. Guess who won? Yeah. That's right. cool.gif (It actually won at a regional competition too - most people laughed when they saw it, but damn, it did GEWD for being the simplest possible configuration).

Warren,

No, it wouldn't go top fuel. I have no interest in that. I just want a reason to have a badass dragula. cool.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!