Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! - Page 316

post #4726 of 7312
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post


I'm guessing those can only be a fair weather phenomenon? I really can't see an e-bike working very well in a snowy Canadian winter?

Our winters have lacked our customary million feet of snow lately, so the roads are usually clear.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

Yeah, we have the same issue with the bikes, being in a tourist town and all, but it could be worse, at least they aren't Segways. lol

That's because all the Segway owners are now dead:wink_face:

post #4727 of 7312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutnicks View Post

Our winters have lacked our customary million feet of snow lately, so the roads are usually clear.

That's because all the Segway owners are now dead:wink_face:

Evolution in action.
post #4728 of 7312
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post


Evolution in action.


And infinite iterations of potential Darwin winners.

 

post #4729 of 7312
It is amazing to me that the Segway actually made it to market. It's pilot failure modes are incredibly unintuitive. In airplanes that is called PIO - "pilot induced oscillations". With a stable airplane, if you let go, and the oscillations will dampen out. In the Segway, there doesn't seem to be any way to dampen the oscillations - it goes from "stable" to "oh schitt!" in an instant.
post #4730 of 7312
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

It is amazing to me that the Segway actually made it to market. It's pilot failure modes are incredibly unintuitive. In airplanes that is called PIO - "pilot induced oscillations". With a stable airplane, if you let go, and the oscillations will dampen out. In the Segway, there doesn't seem to be any way to dampen the oscillations - it goes from "stable" to "oh schitt!" in an instant.

 

Our local cops had one a while back.....I always wondered if they could actually pursue somebody on the thing or if they just liked to ride it around. 

post #4731 of 7312
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

It is amazing to me that the Segway actually made it to market. It's pilot failure modes are incredibly unintuitive. In airplanes that is called PIO - "pilot induced oscillations". With a stable airplane, if you let go, and the oscillations will dampen out. In the Segway, there doesn't seem to be any way to dampen the oscillations - it goes from "stable" to "oh schitt!" in an instant.


Boggles the mind doesn't it?  Makes the Bombardier Embrio look safe. Proof that the gimmick factor does sell outside of audio. If they had thought to gyrosopically stabilize the thing it would probably drive itself. As it is it's such a poorly built device I'd be shocked if you got a 100 kilometers out of one.

post #4732 of 7312

It turns out the Elon Musk was the not-so-secret buyer of the Bond Esprit submarine, and he has big plans for it.

 

The good news: He's making it a fully-functional transforming machine that can go between car and submarine as portrayed in the original movie.

 

The bad news: He's going to stick a Tesla drivetrain in the thing as a publicity stunt.

 

It's still unclear whether these plans involve the original prop (which would piss a lot of people off), or if he's having his team reverse-engineer a copy and work from there.

 

Source: http://jalopnik.com/zomg-elon-musk-to-turn-lotus-submarine-into-working-bo-1447469023

post #4733 of 7312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutnicks View Post


Boggles the mind doesn't it?  Makes the Bombardier Embrio look safe. Proof that the gimmick factor does sell outside of audio. If they had thought to gyrosopically stabilize the thing it would probably drive itself. As it is it's such a poorly built device I'd be shocked if you got a 100 kilometers out of one.

I thought the Segway has gyros - no?
post #4734 of 7312
Elon Musk just can't find enough things to buy with all that Paypal money. Based on his past spending, I'm predicting his next project will be an underwater city.
post #4735 of 7312
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post


I thought the Segway has gyros - no?


 

Quote:

Segway HTs use a special solid-state angular rate sensor constructed using silicon. This sort of gyroscope determines an object's rotation using the Coriolis effect on a very small scale.

 

It must be the poorest implementation in history. Must have gotten those gyro ic's from the North Korean nuclear program surplus.

I can see every second line in the firmware being either.

IF x=anything then OSL

IF y=anything then OSH

post #4736 of 7312

Gentlemen, start your leaf-blowers! 

Built with GIF Movie Gear 4.0Built with GIF Movie Gear 4.0Animation by Camilla Eriksson. www.millan.net millan@millan.net.USSPCMT

 

 

post #4737 of 7312
post #4738 of 7312

I was hoping that Lutz would buy the company, since he showcased a 'Vette-powered version that looked pretty cool a few months back. He could've even had the chance to recoup some purchase money by selling off the rights to all of Fisker's drivetrain tech.

post #4739 of 7312

Whilst studying for chemistry (Something about ethanol etc) I have a question I want to ask. If ethanol is cleaner and requires a higher compression engine to run it, produces more power etc why don't we use it for sports cars? I mean sure it is less durable but aren't majority of sports cars high compression anyways? 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
What better place to ask than here? I mean the regulars here are a rich guy who I think has an ethanol car and a dozen of engineers..... :P 
post #4740 of 7312
Quote:
Originally Posted by veyrongatti View Post
 

Whilst studying for chemistry (Something about ethanol etc) I have a question I want to ask. If ethanol is cleaner and requires a higher compression engine to run it, produces more power etc why don't we use it for sports cars? I mean sure it is less durable but aren't majority of sports cars high compression anyways? 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
What better place to ask than here? I mean the regulars here are a rich guy who I think has an ethanol car and a dozen of engineers..... :P 


Indycars have run on it for decades.

 

That said, there are lubrication issues involved in its use.

We do not have the capacity to generate enough of it to power the nation.

The largest factor is safety. You cannot see an ethanol fire.

It evaporates much faster than petrol. So the fire hazard at the pumps is severly increased

Service stations would have to be re engineered to make its use safe for the masses.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!