Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! - Page 299

post #4471 of 7311
Never!! When I stop caring about hot women, get a pine box and a shovel, 'cause I'm dead.
post #4472 of 7311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

These days, hot cars have more of an affect on me than hot women.

 

I like them both, but I'm also a single guy that does not have a car....lol

post #4473 of 7311
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

Never!! When I stop caring about hot women, get a pine box and a shovel, 'cause I'm dead.

They're almost more trouble than they're worth. rolleyes.gif


We found this today, a 2004 TVR Tuscan Speed 6 in Jacksonville NC. How did that get here?


post #4474 of 7311
I like TVR - I wonder if they could have survived if they weren't so adamant about eschewing "safety devices"?
post #4475 of 7311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post


We found this today, a 2004 TVR Tuscan Speed 6 in Jacksonville NC. How did that get here?

Speaking of strange headlights...

 

I love TVR, but I doubt I'd be able to live with any relatively modern one.

post #4476 of 7311
I think the TVR would be very fun - right up until you ran it off into a ditch!
post #4477 of 7311
Quote:Billybobobobobob
 Never!! When I stop caring about hot women, get a pine box and a shovel, 'cause I'm dead.

Now you know what achmed feels like.

post #4478 of 7311
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

I think the TVR would be very fun - right up until you ran it off into a ditch!

It'll break down long before you have a chance to do that:wink_face:

post #4479 of 7311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutnicks View Post

It'll break down long before you have a chance to do that:wink_face:

But first you also have to figure out how to get the door open and how to start the darn thing. THEN it will break down... biggrin.gif
post #4480 of 7311
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post


But first you also have to figure out how to get the door open and how to start the darn thing. THEN it will break down... biggrin.gif

 

 

If experience is anything to go by I'll be unable to contort myself enough at this age to corcsrew into the driving position. TVR's made the Lotus Esprit/Eclat/Elite look ergonomic.

post #4481 of 7311
Thread Starter 
Blerg... where was I? Ah yeah, I must be living right, the only two cars from Dubai that wouldn't "run" (as in start and go forward) without a small amount of coaxing were the XJ220 and 512TR. However, since we didn't even try those, serious skank build-up and fear that they'd simply explode, I'm going to state that this was a 100% non-****ty transaction. Yay team! The XJ220 is being treated to a complete teardown and refresh (the int looks pristine), frame-off, while the 512TR will get a good frame-on resto and new paint. There's something about `90s supercars, I guess it's because that was the time when I started really getting into car culture, and these were the "heroes of the day". The F40, XJ220, and 959 sparked so many discussions and arguments with my group that they almost came to blows at times. Serious passion, there. I was nuts over the Vector and the Countach back then, I still want to find a good example of the former, but most are in museums now. Of course, that was before the mighty Mac F1, then we all bowed to its badassery.

I'm going to N Carolina tomorrow to see the TVR and ask the owner some questions. 1.) because I want to get the full story firsthand, and my assistant is taking a week off, and 2.) there's something else I want to check out that on the way.
post #4482 of 7311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

Blerg... where was I? Ah yeah, I must be living right, the only two cars from Dubai that wouldn't "run" (as in start and go forward) without a small amount of coaxing were the XJ220 and 512TR. However, since we didn't even try those, serious skank build-up and fear that they'd simply explode, I'm going to state that this was a 100% non-****ty transaction. Yay team! The XJ220 is being treated to a complete teardown and refresh (the int looks pristine), frame-off, while the 512TR will get a good frame-on resto and new paint. There's something about `90s supercars, I guess it's because that was the time when I started really getting into car culture, and these were the "heroes of the day". The F40, XJ220, and 959 sparked so many discussions and arguments with my group that they almost came to blows at times. Serious passion, there. I was nuts over the Vector and the Countach back then, I still want to find a good example of the former, but most are in museums now. Of course, that was before the mighty Mac F1, then we all bowed to its badassery.

I'm going to N Carolina tomorrow to see the TVR and ask the owner some questions. 1.) because I want to get the full story firsthand, and my assistant is taking a week off, and 2.) there's something else I want to check out that on the way.

More of the case of before the late 80's there really were no supercars. There had been outstanding vehicles made by manufacturers but nothing put together in a complete package that was available to the consumer.

 

If memory serves Wiegert's twin turbo effort only came in automatic did it not?

post #4483 of 7311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutnicks View Post

More of the case of before the late 80's there really were no supercars. There had been outstanding vehicles made by manufacturers but nothing put together in a complete package that was available to the consumer.

If memory serves Wiegert's twin turbo effort only came in automatic did it not?

I claim these qualify as "supercars" - and I'm sure I have left out some others.

1965 Ford GT40
1967 Lamborghini Miura
1973 Maserati Bora
1974 Lamborghini Countach
1976 Ferrari 512BB
1984 Ferrari Testarossa

We've had this debate before. I don't think you can judge all supercars by modern performance standards. I think they need to be judged within the context of their peers. For me, a better criteria is: If I was 15 years old in the year the car was introduced, would I have had a poster of that car in my bedroom? If the answer is yes, then the car is a supercar. For example, in 1914, I probably would have had this hanging on my bedroom wall:

post #4484 of 7311
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post


I claim these qualify as "supercars" - and I'm sure I have left out some others.

1965 Ford GT40
1967 Lamborghini Miura
1973 Maserati Bora
1974 Lamborghini Countach
1976 Ferrari 512BB
1984 Ferrari Testarossa

We've had this debate before. I don't think you can judge all supercars by modern performance standards. I think they need to be judged within the context of their peers. For me, a better criteria is: If I was 15 years old in the year the car was introduced, would I have had a poster of that car in my bedroom? If the answer is yes, then the car is a supercar. For example, in 1914, I probably would have had this hanging on my bedroom wall:

 

One more I would add to your list (which is a good one)  would be the Ferrari 365 GTB/4 and 365GTS/4 "Daytona".

 
Coupe....
 

 

And convertible.....

 

 

 
post #4485 of 7311

The Daytona's a real looker, but even by the standards of the day it wasn't any good at cornering. Yet again, it was a GT car, so I'll excuse it.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!