or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! - Page 281

post #4201 of 9498
Thread Starter 
IMO, we lost sports cars when everyone started worshipping Nurburgring lap times at the expense of everything else. A great road car and a great track car are mutually exclusive things, and while some pull off doing both things well, most don't. Although you may think I'm the last person to say this, but the horsepower wars have hurt us severely. Beyond a point, it doesn't matter, and that point is when you can't keep up with what's going on and require a ton of electronic gizmos to keep you from killing yourself. That limit is different for each person, some can handle a 1000hp supercar with 3 pedals, but most can't.

My wife got her Fiat 500, that we fixed and tuned, this weekend. She asked how much power it had and I told her "200 horsepower" and she wrinkled her nose. Then we got in it and I showed her what 200hp in a 2300lb car could do and she changed her mind. The little thing is crazy, zip-to-60 in 5 sec flat, and the ride is many times better than it was before, plus the grip is fantastic. Sure, the bhp /ton isn't in the same league as a Veyron, but it's more fun to drive, that's for sure.
post #4202 of 9498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

IMO, we lost sports cars when everyone started worshipping Nurburgring lap times at the expense of everything else. A great road car and a great track car are mutually exclusive things, and while some pull off doing both things well, most don't. Although you may think I'm the last person to say this, but the horsepower wars have hurt us severely. Beyond a point, it doesn't matter, and that point is when you can't keep up with what's going on and require a ton of electronic gizmos to keep you from killing yourself. That limit is different for each person, some can handle a 1000hp supercar with 3 pedals, but most can't.

My wife got her Fiat 500, that we fixed and tuned, this weekend. She asked how much power it had and I told her "200 horsepower" and she wrinkled her nose. Then we got in it and I showed her what 200hp in a 2300lb car could do and she changed her mind. The little thing is crazy, zip-to-60 in 5 sec flat, and the ride is many times better than it was before, plus the grip is fantastic. Sure, the bhp /ton isn't in the same league as a Veyron, but it's more fun to drive, that's for sure.


You could always pick her up a Hyabusa and show her what 170 hp can feel likeeek.gif

 

 

There really is something very very frightening in the concept of making 1000 hp manageable for the "average joe". Inevitably that leads to storage lockers decorated with Mclarens' and such. The technological concepts may be marvelous, but there is always going to be a backlash in the form of drivers believing they can drive like Button just because they can afford the same road car.

post #4203 of 9498
I think you have hit it on the head - the idea of blending style and fun is gone. It was killed by the combination of horsepower, legal liability & safety regulations. In today's world, Fun = Reckless. It's something to be avoided unless you are a wealthy celebrity. The B Ark needs to be loaded up and readied for launch.

post #4204 of 9498
Thread Starter 
That's just... well, it's so ugly it's cute, TBH. Gullwing doors, too. I'll have to try and get it. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mazda-AZ-1-/300952735941#ht_500wt_1183

My people are screaming again, well grumbling really, about the cars "piling up on them" to check out, fix up, and get roadworthy. They don't get it, there's no rush, just because it arrives doesn't mean they have to drop everything and jump on it. Let it sit for a few weeks, or even months, as long as it's not out in the weather and rotting (that's partly why we built the additional building adjacent to the shop, for extra storage). Why can't they see this? Almost every month I have to give the same speech. I'm buying because collector cars are outpacing inflation, by a lot, and outpacing any other investment you can think of. Buy now or pay double in a few years. Remember that Ferrari 250 Lusso I bought a couple months ago? One at Monterey sold for near double what I paid, and it wasn't as complete as mine (though it was "prettier, due to a more recent restoration) nor did it have a famous previous owner. This goes for almost everything Italian that was built before 1973. So fellas, chill out, we're not running a sprint, it's a marathon. tongue.gif I think I simply need to make a big poster and hang it up over the coffeemaker (so I'll know they've seen it). They drink between 6-8 pots per day. WTF?? blink.gif


The issue with power is that it corrupts, and people don't realize that you don't have to use all of it all the time. What's that?!? Yes, I can go out and have a barrel of fun in the CCX monster all day and only ever use 2/3 of the Go pedal. wink.gif That 4 digit HP is there if I want it, but I don't always do, in fact I only do every once in awhile. "I can't handle all that muscle!" Why? Does your foot have a mind of its own, forcing the throttle to the floor all the time trying to kill you? Cut that sucker off, man!

I guess so much of it comes down to a complete lack of self-control and/or folks simply not understanding their limitations.



In other stuff, new car stuff, I'm ordering an Shelby Super Snake (850bhp), or rather I'm buying one they have ready for sale, but they're repainting it pepper gray and black to match my Eleanor. It's a 2013 demonstrator they used at car shows and a few track events, has ~2500 miles on it and has never been titled, and I'm getting it for a generous amount under their list. Yay! biggrin.gif Oh, and it looks like the Skyline that came in, it needs a new clutch and tranny. So we did get burned a little on that. I sent an email about it to the seller (who said it was A+, 100%) and they're ignoring me. Typical, I'll remember them. mad.gif
Edited by Magick Man - 8/26/13 at 9:00pm
post #4205 of 9498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

That's just... well, it's so ugly it's cute, TBH. Gullwing doors, too. I'll have to try and get it. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mazda-AZ-1-/300952735941#ht_500wt_1183

My people are screaming again, well grumbling really, about the cars "piling up on them" to check out, fix up, and get roadworthy. They don't get it, there's no rush, just because it arrives doesn't mean they have to drop everything and jump on it. Let it sit for a few weeks, or even months, as long as it's not out in the weather and rotting (that's partly why we built the additional building adjacent to the shop, for extra storage). Why can't they see this? Almost every month I have to give the same speech. I'm buying because collector cars are outpacing inflation, by a lot, and outpacing any other investment you can think of. Buy now or pay double in a few years. Remember that Ferrari 250 Lusso I bought a couple months ago? One at Monterey sold for near double what I paid, and it wasn't as complete as mine (though it was "prettier, due to a more recent restoration) nor did it have a famous previous owner. This goes for almost everything Italian that was built before 1973. So fellas, chill out, we're not running a sprint, it's a marathon. tongue.gif I think I simply need to make a big poster and hang it up over the coffeemaker (so I'll know they've seen it). They drink between 6-8 pots per day. WTF?? blink.gif


The issue with power is that it corrupts, and people don't realize that you don't have to use all of it all the time. What's that?!? Yes, I can go out and have a barrel of fun in the CCX monster all day and only ever use 2/3 of the Go pedal. wink.gif That 4 digit HP is there if I want it, but I don't always do, in fact I only do every once in awhile. "I can't handle all that muscle!" Why? Does your foot have a mind of its own, forcing the throttle to the floor all the time trying to kill you? Cut that sucker off, man!

I guess so much of it comes down to a complete lack of self-control and/or folks simply not understanding their limitations.



In other stuff, new car stuff, I'm ordering an Shelby Super Snake (850bhp), or rather I'm buying one they have ready for sale, but they're repainting it pepper gray and black to match my Eleanor. It's a 2013 demonstrator they used at car shows and a few track events, has ~2500 miles on it and has never been titled, and I'm getting it for a generous amount under their list. Yay! biggrin.gif Oh, and it looks like the Skyline that came in, it needs a new clutch and tranny. So we did get burned a little on that. I sent an email about it to the seller (who said it was A+, 100%) and they're ignoring me. Typical, I'll remember them. mad.gif


Ever heard of out of sight out of mind. There is a large psychological impact on having something in plain view. Might want to invest in some off site storage and manage their workflow that way.

 

6-8 pots per day. Thats really low for mech's, might want to review some resume'sbiggrin.gif

 

That Mazda is unique to say the least. I'm actually shocked that the Canadian Customs let it in. They usually start at no and proceed to F    U when it comes to non certificated cars. (Back in the day a friends father ran the Nissan Tech Centre here and they had constant grief over winter test vehicles)

 

If a throttle pedal goes to the floor it will be used. That's just reflex for most. What you need here is a limiter that you have to get under to hood to disengage so temptation while driving will be removed from the masses. (Wonder why we have so many stooooopid bonehead laws????) Or just don't get into more car than you can handle. Crissakes the Rodrigues brothers even knew that one. As attested to by the still remaining fingernail marks at various tracks where they were literally dragged into the cockpit of the 917;)

 

Bad news on the Skyline. Any thoughts of legal on that one?

 

Just for informational purposes I'd like to see a comparison of  return rates on collector cars vs collector firearms. The appreciation of firearms was through the roof back when I was in the game.

 

Someday I'd love to see how your collection is financially structured, I figure at some point it must have become self supporting which makes for an even more attractive investment scenario.

post #4206 of 9498
You collected firearms? What types? It seems like the prices of US & European military firearms, or really any classic firearms are now completely ridiculous. Basically, if it shoots ammo you can actually afford to shoot, then you can't afford the gun!
post #4207 of 9498

If I had to choose any car with a limit of 100 horsepower, it would definitely be the AZ-1. They're so unique that they're already BaT-featured collector cars in markets where they were rare or nonexistent.

post #4208 of 9498
Thread Starter 
What my fund is jumping into, and you should too. We're backing ~40% of the Cointerra infrastructure for the next 5 years, with an option for 10 more years, at a conservative estimated RoR of 650%, year over year. Did you just do a spit take? I sure did, when I was told nearly 6 months ago. blink.gif Now that it's public I can talk about it, and this really and sincerely IS the "Next Big Thing".

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7246/the-rush-to-bitcoin-asics-ravi-iyengar-launches-cointerra

Is Bitcoin the future? No. But it's the predecessor of the future currency, and it will be rolled into it. Those on the ground floor are the next Tech Boom leaders.

Quote:
Bad news on the Skyline. Any thoughts of legal on that one?

Not any that's financially feasible, even if we sued and won a decision it would be cheaper to just buy a new tranny, clutch, and rear diff. I'm simply going to leave some nasty feedback on them as a trader, and that will be far more injurious than anything else I could do.
post #4209 of 9498
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

You collected firearms? What types? It seems like the prices of US & European military firearms, or really any classic firearms are now completely ridiculous. Basically, if it shoots ammo you can actually afford to shoot, then you can't afford the gun!


My prefs ran to service firearms pre 1950 and I had an interest in Mauser and Browning (Belgian) pistols. However anything unique and of interest (Browning BLR, Swedish built SKS) was fair game. When firearm ownership started become more of a pain here I gradually sold everything off at a profit and moved on. These days I shudder to think of what it would cost me to sit on the range for hours on end as I used to. I'll stick with airguns and archery now, cheaper to fuel:)

post #4210 of 9498
Thread Starter 
The `84 512 BBi I got at the auction has secrets, several of them. The most interesting is that it was once a Koenig-tuned car (not a TT, thank God) but it has been reworked and modified. Then at some point the body kit was removed and it was restored back to stock (just the body, not the engine). It also appears to have had the odometer rolled back, not recently but back in the early 2000s. So it doesn't have 18k miles, more like 38k miles, most likely. *sigh*
post #4211 of 9498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutnicks View Post


My prefs ran to service firearms pre 1950 and I had an interest in Mauser and Browning (Belgian) pistols. However anything unique and of interest (Browning BLR, Swedish built SKS) was fair game. When firearm ownership started become more of a pain here I gradually sold everything off at a profit and moved on. These days I shudder to think of what it would cost me to sit on the range for hours on end as I used to. I'll stick with airguns and archery now, cheaper to fuel:)

Man, you got that right! I feel the same way. All I can afford to shoot anymore is .22 rimfire. The cost of ammo is going to do what the gov't could never do - make shooting sports something very few people can enjoy. I'm not sure who has it worse for being unfriendly to gun owners - Canada or California - I think we might have you beat in that dubious honor...

I really wish I had bought more firearms back in the 80s - especially vintage guns. I remember when you could buy surplus US & European military issue of all flavors for very cheap - those days are looong gone. When I think about all the great items I could have bought back then, and didn't, it makes me crazy...
post #4212 of 9498
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

Man, you got that right! I feel the same way. All I can afford to shoot anymore is .22 rimfire. The cost of ammo is going to do what the gov't could never do - make shooting sports something very few people can enjoy. I'm not sure who has it worse for being unfriendly to gun owners - Canada or California - I think we might have you beat in that dubious honor...

I really wish I had bought more firearms back in the 80s - especially vintage guns. I remember when you could buy surplus US & European military issue of all flavors for very cheap - those days are looong gone. When I think about all the great items I could have bought back then, and didn't, it makes me crazy...


Come to TN and shop the yard sales and flea markets, it'll blow your mind. eek.gif
post #4213 of 9498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

What my fund is jumping into, and you should too. We're backing ~40% of the Cointerra infrastructure for the next 5 years, with an option for 10 more years, at a conservative estimated RoR of 650%, year over year. Did you just do a spit take? I sure did, when I was told nearly 6 months ago. blink.gif Now that it's public I can talk about it, and this really and sincerely IS the "Next Big Thing".

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7246/the-rush-to-bitcoin-asics-ravi-iyengar-launches-cointerra

Is Bitcoin the future? No. But it's the predecessor of the future currency, and it will be rolled into it. Those on the ground floor are the next Tech Boom leaders.

Well. I got 0.004 bitcoins, hope that will be worth something in 50 years........

post #4214 of 9498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

The `84 512 BBi I got at the auction has secrets, several of them. The most interesting is that it was once a Koenig-tuned car (not a TT, thank God) but it has been reworked and modified. Then at some point the body kit was removed and it was restored back to stock (just the body, not the engine). It also appears to have had the odometer rolled back, not recently but back in the early 2000s. So it doesn't have 18k miles, more like 38k miles, most likely. *sigh*

As long as one of those secrets is NOT that it was once owned by Eric Claptoneek.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post


Man, you got that right! I feel the same way. All I can afford to shoot anymore is .22 rimfire. The cost of ammo is going to do what the gov't could never do - make shooting sports something very few people can enjoy. I'm not sure who has it worse for being unfriendly to gun owners - Canada or California - I think we might have you beat in that dubious honor...

I really wish I had bought more firearms back in the 80s - especially vintage guns. I remember when you could buy surplus US & European military issue of all flavors for very cheap - those days are looong gone. When I think about all the great items I could have bought back then, and didn't, it makes me crazy...

Even Handloading is prohibitive. I think Cali wins in the fools legislation game by a hair. However we did have a PP attempt at a Federal Gun Registry which was a 25 dollar per year per unit cash grab they could not make work (For the amount of firearms in Canada you could have run it off MySql on a laptop) if you could not locate the serial number they would send you one on  a sticker. Really, a sticker. That would have stopped criminals right in their tracks I'm sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post


Come to TN and shop the yard sales and flea markets, it'll blow your mind. eek.gif

I have been to a few in the States and you are right. There is some fascinating stuff around. Then again I attended one up here and almost walked out with a Yugoslavian surplus MG42.

post #4215 of 9498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutnicks View Post

As long as one of those secrets is NOT that it was once owned by Eric Clapton:eek:
Even Handloading is prohibitive. I think Cali wins in the fools legislation game by a hair. However we did have a PP attempt at a Federal Gun Registry which was a 25 dollar per year per unit cash grab they could not make work (For the amount of firearms in Canada you could have run it off MySql on a laptop) if you could not locate the serial number they would send you one on  a sticker. Really, a sticker. That would have stopped criminals right in their tracks I'm sure.
I have been to a few in the States and you are right. There is some fascinating stuff around. Then again I attended one up here and almost walked out with a Yugoslavian surplus MG42.

The California "safe handgun list" is our lawmakers crowning achievement:
Quote:
Effective January 1, 2001, no handgun may be manufactured within California, imported into California for sale, lent, given, kept for sale, or offered/exposed for sale unless that handgun model has passed firing, safety, and drop tests and is certified for sale in California by the Department of Justice. Private party transfers, curio/relic handguns, certain single-action revolvers, and pawn/consignment returns are exempt from this requirement.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=pen&group=31001-32000&file=31900-31910
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=pen&group=31001-32000&file=32000-32030

Back to cars:
I don't understand how the big auction houses can just look the other way and collect their fee when something as blatantly fraudulent as an odometer rollback has occurred. I'm all for caveat emptor, but I think there needs to be a limit when your ability to inspect the goods is restricted AND the vehicle is advertised to be something it is not.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!