Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! - Page 29

post #421 of 7134
Thread Starter 
Okay, okay, no need to stir up that hornet's nest. lol

I was just saying the MX-5 is a great handling car for cheap, personally I'd go with the c**kster, because it does have more power and is mid-engined. I'm seeing used Caymans in Cali for under $30k, and that's bloody amazing value. Of course, most seem to be in Van Nuys, so there's no telling what you'd find in those. biggrin.gif
post #422 of 7134
The most likely thing you will find inside a Porsche in Van Nuys is a scared porn star that got lost looking for their filming location in Woodland Hills...
post #423 of 7134
Thread Starter 
Yeah, I'm aware of the Van Nuys rep. smily_headphones1.gif I spent the day with a friend just walking around there. He was all "hey, maybe we'll be seen and they'll ask us to be in a video and we'll get to "perform" with Jenna Jameson" (she was the big name in porn at the time). We never saw Jenna, but we did meet Briana Banks at the 7/11, and he got an autograph.

I was thinking a sports car from there is likely to have stains from spilled gentleman's relish.
Edited by Magick Man - 9/24/12 at 8:06am
post #424 of 7134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

Yeah, I'm aware of the Van Nuys rep. smily_headphones1.gif I spent the day with a friend just walking around there. He was all "hey, maybe we'll be seen and they'll ask us to be in a video and we'll get to "perform" with Jenna Jameson" (she was the big name in porn at the time). We never saw Jenna, but we did meet Briana Banks at the 7/11, and he got an autograph.
I was thinking a sports car from there is likely to have stains from spilled gentleman's relish.

I think you theory of what will be in those cars is probably only the tip of the iceberg. I'm thinking some of those cars probably make the Prius from The Other Guys look factory new. ph34r.gif
post #425 of 7134

.


Edited by bizkit - 2/19/13 at 4:18am
post #426 of 7134
You are probably both right - the porn companies are based in Van Nuys, but they film at non-descript homes in quiet neighborhoods in Woodland Hills & Chatsworth...

Of course, Van Nuys is also one of the places that decided to rename a neighborhood Sherman Oaks because they were tired of having the stigma of Van Nuys lowering their property values. I hate the SFV - the whole place is a pit. Too many people, too many cars, too much concrete and too darn hot in the summer. You have your choice of pretentious neighbors in places like Encino & Studio City, or hardcore gangbangers in North Hollywood, Reseda & Pacoima. The only worse locations in SoCal are places like Lawndale, Compton & South Central LA. However, I suppose it's all relative - and I could name 50 other places around the USA that are as bad or worse - some of them MUCH worse - and those probably still aren't bad by world standards...
post #427 of 7134
billy I laughed at most of that post - it's true but it made me giggle for some reason. I think it's because you used the term "hardcore gangbangers" in a legitimate demographic analysis.
post #428 of 7134
Thread Starter 
LOL, not the kind of gangbangers that people in that area are accustomed to, no doubt. wink.gif

I'm talking with a guy in Baltimore who is trying to sell his Ferrari 458, a yellow 2011 with 2200 miles on it, with all the bells and whistles and custom factory paint. If I can get him to come down just a little more, I'll jump on it. Pic.


Edited by Magick Man - 9/24/12 at 3:57pm
post #429 of 7134
Nice - however all Ferrari's should be red!

...and OK Beavis - you got me on that one! tongue.gif

But seriously, the SFV is insane. I've seen web pages that claim there are 125 different gangs within the SFV!

With all that said - the LAPD actually claims the SFV has lower crime than other areas of LA. Go figure.

If you want to really freak yourself out, click through this page to the maps - and remember that is a 7 day period...
http://www.lapdonline.org/crime_mapping_and_compstat
Edited by billybob_jcv - 9/24/12 at 6:08pm
post #430 of 7134
I'm going to move to Moosehead Lake, MN:
http://www.crimemapping.com/map.aspx?aid=4737c73f-9551-4efe-92d8-a8574540d884

18 crimes in the entire month of September, none of them violent. Sounds like Mayberry...
post #431 of 7134

back to the first post- heres my story

 

i got grado sr60i 3 years ago upon seeing the heaps of awards on it- but didnt really like it and they have been collecting dust

got my brother a klipsch s4- first time i demoed it in store, i thought i was in heaven haha (that brother still uses it to this day)

 

this year i got back into headphones and bought myself vsonic gr07 and fiio e17- really love the setup but i like to eq the bass up and now i know im a basshead

got my other brother ath cks77 which were around $50 and he likes it

and this past summer was the first time i had a job earning money so i am pretty frugal as i never spent money before on anything over $100 besides my grado

and im currently planning to buy my "end game" portable rig (before ciem and heavy over ears) which will be over $1000

and my brothers dont see  the light after buying them decent iems... and they continually accuse me of overspending, when my summer job easily paid for it and have never spent on anything else (not even starbucks or timmies)

but they gave up hope on my dad, who likes going to harry rosen and buying hundreds of dollars of shirts, pants, and a jacket that cost 1 grand when the original was 4 grands (that hes worn only once) because the more you spend at a time, they give you discounts- haha

post #432 of 7134
Oh, to be young again...
Quote:
im currently planning to buy my "end game" portable rig (before ciem and heavy over ears) which will be over $1000

I hate to be the one to tell you - but their ain't no such thing as an "end game" - audio just doesn't work like that. Let's just call it, "your next system"... wink.gif
post #433 of 7134
Thread Starter 
I'm going to hold out for the convertible, also the guy wants too much. I like the yellow, either that or scuderia red. The RMR Ferraris should be bright and loud...




while the FMR models are meant to be dark and intimidating, IMO.




Can't you just feel the evil oozing off the screen? biggrin.gif


"End game" systems are a paradox. By the time you get all the cool stuff together, the next big thing is on the horizon. That's just the way it works. My full-size rig is the Antelope Zodiac Gold + Woo WES + Stax SR-009, that's ~$15Gs, but the reality is that someone will make something that'll make me go, "holy ****, I want that!" When you get to a certain point, they really don't get much "better", just different.
post #434 of 7134
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

Oh, to be young again...
I hate to be the one to tell you - but their ain't no such thing as an "end game" - audio just doesn't work like that. Let's just call it, "your next system"... wink.gif

 

prob end game wasnt the right name

what i meant was im prob going to stop (or at least try my hardest) upgrading and diving into the more expensive world of desktop amps, headphones, custom iem...

and i can probably pass off my 1k rig as costing maybe two hundred wink.gif

however i am eyeing those $15k rigs!

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

I'm going to hold out for the convertible, also the guy wants too much. I like the yellow, either that or scuderia red. The RMR Ferraris should be bright and loud...

while the FMR models are meant to be dark and intimidating, IMO.

Can't you just feel the evil oozing off the screen? biggrin.gif
"End game" systems are a paradox. By the time you get all the cool stuff together, the next big thing is on the horizon. That's just the way it works. My full-size rig is the Antelope Zodiac Gold + Woo WES + Stax SR-009, that's ~$15Gs, but the reality is that someone will make something that'll make me go, "holy ****, I want that!" When you get to a certain point, they really don't get much "better", just different.

 

in toronto around where i live, i quite a few ferraris, lambo, and bentley everyday

however i saw a ferrari ff for the first time yesterday and they do look better in real life compared to pictures

wasnt as loud as i hoped, but maybe because it wasnt accelerating hard enough

post #435 of 7134
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyash View Post

in toronto around where i live, i quite a few ferraris, lambo, and bentley everyday

however i saw a ferrari ff for the first time yesterday and they do look better in real life compared to pictures

wasnt as loud as i hoped, but maybe because it wasnt accelerating hard enough

I want to live somewhere where I have the simple pleasure of such eyecandy on a regular basis. Out in central PA vehicles of such class are an irregularity. Although my small, "one stoplight" hometown is also home to the driver of a gorgeous 360. Although one thing that I've noticed is that rural areas seem more prone to be the home of nice antique cars as opposed to luxury exotics from the modern era. There's a Lotus Europa, an old Duesenberg, and what I think I've ID'd as a Mercedes 540 K that I see on a fairly regular basis, along with musclecars out the bum.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!