or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! - Page 271

post #4051 of 9498

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-NSX-driven-by-Senna-/181192150042?clk_rvr_id=509082736344

 

One of a kind LHD Honda NSX......... I reckon thats a good deal for an NSX considering its stock and has low mileage......biggrin.gif

post #4052 of 9498

apparently Insurance premiums are expensive up until the age of 25........ Looks like I will never own anything exciting......frown.gif

post #4053 of 9498
Quote:
Originally Posted by veyrongatti View Post

apparently Insurance premiums are expensive up until the age of 25........ Looks like I will never own anything exciting......frown.gif

Turning 25 and getting married will both bring down your premiums. That said, I wouldn't recommend getting married just for insurance savings.....lol.

post #4054 of 9498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achmedisdead View Post

Turning 25 and getting married will both bring down your premiums. That said, I wouldn't recommend getting married just for insurance savings.....lol.

Getting married...................Thats a great plan. No wait I'm a social outcast...................tongue.gif Now gonna go find Plan B.........

post #4055 of 9498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post


That's the advantage of buying through a broker like Alain Class Motors, they have a very good reputation for selling top-notch cars, and many cars like the Ruf have received basic maintenance while being stored. However, a lot of these are being sold as-is, or with a minimal inspection and service ("it starts"), to move them quickly. I'm fine with that, it's why I have a good crew. They can turn this:



into this:



in less than a month. The thing with them is they want to bundle cars together. Want the 962? You need to buy a Bentley or Rolls (or both) as well.

We worked out the 288 replicar and the Skyline, they're actually within 150 miles of each other, so I'm getting them picked up at the same time. Today I went out and test drove a Lexus LFA, the local dealer has one in stock, and I guess I don't get it. The ride is harsh, it shifts like an epileptic with Tourette's, and even though it's quite fast, it doesn't seem to be especially impressive, considering the price and the company it keeps. The sales girl was beaming over it and said "I'll bet you've never driven anything like that!", and I gave her sideways look. "You're absolutely right". biggrin.gif Meh, I suppose I'm missing something there. Maybe it's the handling, I didn't get to really swing it around very much, being a dealer test drive and all, maybe that's it? Oh, and the Veyron, I nailed it the first time. Though it's better on the road than on the track, but it's still a bulky beast, much more a status symbol ("bling") than a sports car. Everyone seems to know what it is, though. We went to Chick-Fil-A for lunch and everyone was rubbernecking and checking it out. Even the employees were hanging out of the drive-thru window to look at it. I'd never felt so self-conscious about a car I was driving in my entire life, it even has a special (loud) "look at me" musical chime that goes off when you activate the alarm and central locking. Gaudy.

 

Bundled exotica? That really makes no sense to me from a buyers point of view. It sort of looks like the sellers way of dumping off the unwanted. buy the Ruf with the Roller and have to deal off the Roller yourself thus saving them the agro of selling it alone. I cannot see that being a price booster at auction.

 

Ersatz 288biggrin.gif

 

I was not really expecting much from the LFA.

 

Maybe one of those Maybach's would have been less conspicuous then the Veyron. Gaudy, I love itredface.gif

post #4056 of 9498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post



`96 Dauer 962 LM eek.gif, ablue Cizeta V16T,
 

Now that's interesting. Have those two ever been driven?

post #4057 of 9498
The original Siebel product was a marvel in the mid-to-late 1990s. It became a perfect example of dot-com IT excess - companies would spend millions of dollars implementing Siebel for their worldwide sales teams - money they could never justify by increased sales and net income. But, at least the SW actually seemed to work fairy well - *if* you had an army of consultants working on it. I worked for a company that in 1999 had *50* mega-priced KPMG consultants working on a Siebel + Oracle eBusiness Suite integration project for months. That's $80K *per day* worth of consultants, in addition to the $3M+ worth of SW & HW.

Now (at a different company) we pay ~$50/user/month to use "Oracle CRM On Demand" - a cloud based version of the old Siebel. So, we traded the cost of implementation for the lack of flexibility of a cloud system. It works - most of the time - but when it goes down, the company looks at me - and all I can do is shrug and call Oracle support (again). This happens at least once every couple of weeks, with down time of anywhere from a few minutes to an entire day.

Enough of the corporate IT nonsense - I come here to get away from this!! Let's talk about cars & headphones!!! biggrin.gif
post #4058 of 9498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

We worked out the 288 replicar and the Skyline, they're actually within 150 miles of each other, so I'm getting them picked up at the same time. Today I went out and test drove a Lexus LFA, the local dealer has one in stock, and I guess I don't get it. The ride is harsh, it shifts like an epileptic with Tourette's, and even though it's quite fast, it doesn't seem to be especially impressive, considering the price and the company it keeps. The sales girl was beaming over it and said "I'll bet you've never driven anything like that!", and I gave her sideways look. "You're absolutely right". biggrin.gif Meh, I suppose I'm missing something there. Maybe it's the handling, I didn't get to really swing it around very much, being a dealer test drive and all, maybe that's it? Oh, and the Veyron, I nailed it the first time. Though it's better on the road than on the track, but it's still a bulky beast, much more a status symbol ("bling") than a sports car. Everyone seems to know what it is, though. We went to Chick-Fil-A for lunch and everyone was rubbernecking and checking it out. Even the employees were hanging out of the drive-thru window to look at it. I'd never felt so self-conscious about a car I was driving in my entire life, it even has a special (loud) "look at me" musical chime that goes off when you activate the alarm and central locking. Gaudy.

 

I'm surprised the LFA didn't catch you on but it did win Clarkson's heart though but then Clarkson did have a much thorough drive of the car.

I will proudly say that I'm a fan of the LFA (even if I haven't ever driven one) despite it's massive price tag and under performing by today's supercar standards. I just can't ignore that fabulous V10 sound and the looks (some might object though), especially the side profile.

Other than the ride, how did the car feel while driving? Is everything really immediate like steering input, throttle, etc... as Clarkson said and wrote?

post #4059 of 9498
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VortexBlast View Post

I'm surprised the LFA didn't catch you on but it did win Clarkson's heart though but then Clarkson did have a much thorough drive of the car.
I will proudly say that I'm a fan of the LFA (even if I haven't ever driven one) despite it's massive price tag and under performing by today's supercar standards. I just can't ignore that fabulous V10 sound and the looks (some might object though), especially the side profile.
Other than the ride, how did the car feel while driving? Is everything really immediate like steering input, throttle, etc... as Clarkson said and wrote?

The sound is good, but it's much like other NA V10s, like the Carrera GT, if a little more high-strung. To me, the Porsche is better in nearly every way, but that's simply a testament to how great the Carrera GT is. It's now the gold standard that I judge all other supercars by, the Koenigsegg is better in a lot of ways, but not by a lot. Frankly, I see the LFA as a niche car that isn't intended to appeal to all, or even most people. Is it better than a GT-R? No doubt, but to me it doesn't quite stand up to others in its bracket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by customcoco View Post

Now that's interesting. Have those two ever been driven?

Not for a very long time, each has less than 500km on it. Though the 962 is in better cosmetic and mechanical condition, having been covered while it was stored.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutnicks View Post

Bundled exotica? That really makes no sense to me from a buyers point of view. It sort of looks like the sellers way of dumping off the unwanted. buy the Ruf with the Roller and have to deal off the Roller yourself thus saving them the agro of selling it alone. I cannot see that being a price booster at auction.

I know, right? They just want to shovel them off to people, and not cheaply either. Essentially if you want a "Tier 1" car (like the Dauer), you have to buy one "Tier 2" and one "Tier 3". To buy a Tier 2, you must buy a Tier 3. To buy a Tier 3 you need only be an idiot. biggrin.gif The pricing structures are roughly: Tier 1 = 90-110% CMV, Tier 2 = 70-80%, Tier 3 = 50-60%.

I put in an offer for the 962 LM (T1), Aston DB AR1 (T2), and a crusty `99 Bentley Conti SC (T3) we can play with. Along with the Ruf CTR3 (T2) and a black Ferrari 512 TR (T3)... It looked to be the least moldy of the Testarossas. I want the Reventon, but it's priced at near $3M, and the XJ220 looks like a basket case. I told them if they move it down to a T3 (it's a T2) I'll take it by itself, otherwise I'm not interested.
post #4060 of 9498
I'm actually not that surprised that the LFA was not your cup of tea. I think I've read enough from you to say that the mega-technology cars (McLaren, LFA, Bugatti, etc) are not your preference. You seem to prefer supercars that are a bit more "pure" - lightweight, high horsepower, quick response in acceleration & steering and perfect handling balance. Is that a fair observation? I can understand that - the software shouldn't *be* the car - it should only enhance the inherent greatness.
post #4061 of 9498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post


The sound is good, but it's much like other NA V10s, like the Carrera GT, if a little more high-strung. To me, the Porsche is better in nearly every way, but that's simply a testament to how great the Carrera GT is. It's now the gold standard that I judge all other supercars by, the Koenigsegg is better in a lot of ways, but not by a lot. Frankly, I see the LFA as a niche car that isn't intended to appeal to all, or even most people. Is it better than a GT-R? No doubt, but to me it doesn't quite stand up to others in its bracket.
Not for a very long time, each has less than 500km on it. Though the 962 is in better cosmetic and mechanical condition, having been covered while it was stored.
I know, right? They just want to shovel them off to people, and not cheaply either. Essentially if you want a "Tier 1" car (like the Dauer), you have to buy one "Tier 2" and one "Tier 3". To buy a Tier 2, you must buy a Tier 3. To buy a Tier 3 you need only be an idiot. biggrin.gif The pricing structures are roughly: Tier 1 = 90-110% CMV, Tier 2 = 70-80%, Tier 3 = 50-60%.

I put in an offer for the 962 LM (T1), Aston DB AR1 (T2), and a crusty `99 Bentley Conti SC (T3) we can play with. Along with the Ruf CTR3 (T2) and a black Ferrari 512 TR (T3)... It looked to be the least moldy of the Testarossas. I want the Reventon, but it's priced at near $3M, and the XJ220 looks like a basket case. I told them if they move it down to a T3 (it's a T2) I'll take it by itself, otherwise I'm not interested.


Wow, the Aston didn't make T1 hmm that's not a car that takes lightly to neglect. The Bently you can always give to the wife. The Ruf, worth having in any condition if you are prepared to do the work. Testarossa, why not, not ever my favourite, but always saleable. The Revention is scary pricey, the Jag just makes me sad. Think they will move it down a tier? If not there must be a Jaguar rescue society somewhere that can pressure them.

 

I'm curious to see how this shakes out. Any idea on who might bite at the Revention?

post #4062 of 9498

From the moment I saw the LFA's North American public-show debut at NAIAS 2010, I've been bored with it. I could never say why.

post #4063 of 9498
Magick: Ever heard of these guys?
http://www.exoticclassics.com/inventory.htm

They have a few interesting cars - I like the low mileage Maseratis and Astons...
post #4064 of 9498
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

Magick: Ever heard of these guys?
http://www.exoticclassics.com/inventory.htm

They have a few interesting cars - I like the low mileage Maseratis and Astons...


Call for pricing on a P1800ESconfused_face_2.gif

post #4065 of 9498
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

Magick: Ever heard of these guys?
http://www.exoticclassics.com/inventory.htm

They have a few interesting cars - I like the low mileage Maseratis and Astons...

time to trade your hyundai in? wink.gif might eat up gas though..... 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!