or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! - Page 267

post #3991 of 9498
Thread Starter 
Oh, and my local record store, as in a real record store, is going out of business. The old guy (74 now) is retiring and hanging it up and there's no one who wants to keep it going for him. It's so very sad. frown.gif I go there the first Monday of every month to buy new albums and dig through the racks, he has >100k records there, but next month he'll be shutting the doors for good, and there won't be anything like that place left in my area. It isn't financial either, he just wants to travel and take it easy before he kicks the bucket.
post #3992 of 9498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

Oh, and my local record store, as in a real record store, is going out of business. The old guy (74 now) is retiring and hanging it up and there's no one who wants to keep it going for him. It's so very sad. frown.gif I go there the first Monday of every month to buy new albums and dig through the racks, he has >100k records there, but next month he'll be shutting the doors for good, and there won't be anything like that place left in my area. It isn't financial either, he just wants to travel and take it easy before he kicks the bucket.


Drat! Can't talk the wife into a Goth Boutique/vinyl emporium?wink_face.gif

post #3993 of 9498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

Oh, and my local record store, as in a real record store, is going out of business. The old guy (74 now) is retiring and hanging it up and there's no one who wants to keep it going for him. It's so very sad. frown.gif I go there the first Monday of every month to buy new albums and dig through the racks, he has >100k records there, but next month he'll be shutting the doors for good, and there won't be anything like that place left in my area. It isn't financial either, he just wants to travel and take it easy before he kicks the bucket.

Record as in CD or Vinyl? 

post #3994 of 9498
Thread Starter 
No, I can't save the world. There's already enough on my plate and you really need a passion for that type of thing for it to work. He's a bushy-headed old hippy that can tell you everything about vinyl, and often tried to when you went in to shop there. It's a fact, he'd even try to stop you from leaving if he had more to say... and he always has more to say. biggrin.gif Yeah, he's one of those characters that makes life more colorful and interesting, going to truly miss him.
post #3995 of 9498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutnicks View Post


Drat! Can't talk the wife into a Goth Boutique/vinyl emporium?wink_face.gif

There's a little store on Main Street in my town that is pretty close to that - it has some new/used vinyl albums, some goth stuff, some hipster stuff, some punk stuff, a bit of head shop stuff...
post #3996 of 9498
Thread Starter 
My wife talked about having some head shop-type stuff in her little shop and I changed her mind, the places that carry such things around here go on the police's radar and before long they start looking for excuses to try and bust you for anything.
post #3997 of 9498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

My wife talked about having some head shop-type stuff in her little shop and I changed her mind, the places that carry such things around here go on the police's radar and before long they start looking for excuses to try and bust you for anything.

What is a head shop?

post #3998 of 9498
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by veyrongatti View Post

What is a head shop?

Your Google broken? tongue.gif
post #3999 of 9498
He is a minor Magick, go easy on him :-)
post #4000 of 9498
tsk - kids today... tongue.gif
post #4001 of 9498
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gikigill View Post

He is a minor Magick, go easy on him :-)

I know, but it's easier to do this: http://www.google.com/search?q=head+shop Than it is to ask the question here. Faster too. wink.gif
post #4002 of 9498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post


Your Google broken? tongue.gif

Just don't want to get tracked by the NSA tongue.gif

post #4003 of 9498
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

tsk - kids today... tongue.gif

Wouldn't ignorance be bliss? biggrin.gif

post #4004 of 9498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutnicks View Post

Until the article comes out and the gold rush starts. I remember Lancia Montecarlo's going for 5 grand. The old man passed up a Gullwing for 3 grand when stationed in France in the 50's, couldn't give em away at the time.  Then people started writing articlesbiggrin.gif

When I lived in Wisconsin, I made friends with an electrical contractor who told me a story of the time that his local Datsun dealer nearly convinced him to "trade up" to a brand-new 240Z and trade in his 1964 289 FIA Cobra for the privilege. At the time it was just an old race car, but he sure has to be glad he turned them down. He's now got a guaranteed $1.2 extra in his pocket if he ever needs it, and that Datsun would've fallen to pieces anyways in the Wisconsin winter.

 

Other cars in his stable include a 288 GTO (which is why I asked about the one a few pages back), a 550M, a Mitsubishi factory rally car that he told the DMV was a replica, a Bullitt tribute and a matching '05, a CAV GT40 with Gurney-Weslake equipment, a 'Vette ZO6 Carbon Edition (that's one crazy Chevy), and an SLR Mclaren. It's been awhile since I've seen any of his stable, so I'm probably missing a few.

post #4005 of 9498
veyrongatti - speaking as a father, I'm actually very pleased that you don't know what a head shop is! Speaking as someone born in the early 1960s, I also recall experiencing some bliss *after* a visit to a head shop...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!