or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! - Page 252

post #3766 of 9498
Thread Starter 
That's my wife's rabbit, the black one, it's actually a little mean. It'll nip you if you aren't careful.


Pantera shot, my guys do some great work. 351W bored and stroked to 428ci (7L) with FAST XFI and ZF 5DS-25/2 tranny (a lucky find).


post #3767 of 9498
Wow - that's gorgeous! Do you have a chroming tank, or did you send the parts out?
post #3768 of 9498
Thread Starter 
Yes, they do their own chroming, something we added a couple months ago. The process is so damned expensive, they say the tanks and hoist have already paid for themselves.
post #3769 of 9498

What is the rev range and output of that motor? The 351W in the family's  Ski Nautique redlines at around 5,300 or 5,400, IIRC, but it's not built for the same kind of use you have planned for your chrome beauty.....lol.

post #3770 of 9498
Thread Starter 
They have it marked at 6200 and 6700, the first being at peak and the second at "oh sh*t". We're going to add a roots SC, but currently it makes 550 whp & 525 ft/lbs.
post #3771 of 9498
Cool - having your own chroming tank has interesting potential. I would have a hard time not chroming everything I owned...
Chroming Gone Wild! (Click to show)
post #3772 of 9498
Thread Starter 
Oh snap, good point, I'd better not say anything about it to my wife. Everything in the house will end up chromed. eek.gif

We had some fun at the muscle car rod run yesterday evening (I took the Pantera), and were going to head back today with her Bel Air, but storm clouds have rolled in and it's looking bad. frown.gif





Any thoughts on the crawler/database project, does it look like the right direction?
Edited by Magick Man - 7/20/13 at 9:48am
post #3773 of 9498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

They have it marked at 6200 and 6700, the first being at peak and the second at "oh sh*t". We're going to add a roots SC, but currently it makes 550 whp & 525 ft/lbs.

 

Any particular reason for the Roots blower? Or is it just because you have turbos on a bunch of cars already and want to try something different?

Hope the frame is strong on that car.....sounds like the engine will have the capability to twist the car up like a pretzel.  

 

And I know I have said this before, but man, that Bel Air is a beauty.....

 G44

post #3774 of 9498

Coming soon at Magick's house.....

 

post #3775 of 9498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post


Any thoughts on the crawler/database project, does it look like the right direction?

Well, I think I gave you most of my thoughts in the previous post. Is he going to let you try it before you pay the full amount? Or does the hourly rate for changes start as soon as you take delivery? I think he should give you some time to make sure the thing actually does what he claims it will do. Speaking of which, did you put the requirements in writing? Anything not written down can be considered "out of scope" when you say you ass-u-me-d the SW would have that feature. Assume nothing, verify and validate everything.

My other question would be on the capability to configure the app. If you find a new web site that you would like included in the search list, is there any capability for you to add the site and get anything useful, or will that require that you go back to the developer?

One option might be to pay a support fee each year instead of T&M for some things (like adding sites, modifications to make sure the core sites can always be searched, etc. The T&M is fine for enhancements or changes that are outside the scope of the original requirements, but if the next Microsoft update to Windows breaks the program, you shouldn't have to pay him T&M to fix it. A typical annual support fee is ~20-25% of the purchase price.

Finally, when you use an independent developer to create SW, always remember that the life of the SW is only as long as that developer doesn't get hit by a bus. It's not uncommon for a developer to be all hot to trot initially, but 6 months later, when you need them for something, they are too busy, or they now have a full-time job, or they are only interested in their latest project, or whatever. Depending on how much you are paying - you might consider getting the source code from him. That way you will have something if he disappears. There are "SW Escrows" where the source code and documentation can be placed, so that if he is unable or unwilling to provide support, the source code automatically goes to you. If you are paying a couple of grand, it's probably not worth it - but if you are paying big money, then I would consider it.
post #3776 of 9498
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achmedisdead View Post

Coming soon at Magick's house.....
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

What do you mean "coming soon"? We have a pair of them running around right now (supervised).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achmedisdead View Post

Any particular reason for the Roots blower? Or is it just because you have turbos on a bunch of cars already and want to try something different?
Hope the frame is strong on that car.....sounds like the engine will have the capability to twist the car up like a pretzel.  

And I know I have said this before, but man, that Bel Air is a beauty.....
 G44


Reason? Because? biggrin.gif With the ability to finetune the latest forced induction systems, and I mean to within thousandths of an atmosphere, you can essentially turn them off without suffering from a parasitic effect, by allowing it to run just enough to counter its own mechanical impedance. So, dialing in 550-800 whp (our upper target), on the fly, is simple. It's exactly the way Eleanor is set up. It's like a rudimentary type of launch control. On takeoff, TC is engaged and it's set to a lower level of boost, this negates all wheel slip, then TC disengages and the system allows the SC to very quickly build to maximum. It's going balls to walls after the shift to 3rd. Of course, all of that can be turned off and the driver can select the map they want, but the aided launch is cool (when it works 100%, still a couple small bugs to work out rolleyes.gif ). We're still doing things with Heffner Perf and have 2 more customer upgrades to do in the next several weeks, an R8 V8 and a Gallardo, but he's sent us toys as well, like software that would cause most automakers to crap their pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

Well, I think I gave you most of my thoughts in the previous post. Is he going to let you try it before you pay the full amount? Or does the hourly rate for changes start as soon as you take delivery? I think he should give you some time to make sure the thing actually does what he claims it will do. Speaking of which, did you put the requirements in writing? Anything not written down can be considered "out of scope" when you say you ass-u-me-d the SW would have that feature. Assume nothing, verify and validate everything.

My other question would be on the capability to configure the app. If you find a new web site that you would like included in the search list, is there any capability for you to add the site and get anything useful, or will that require that you go back to the developer?

One option might be to pay a support fee each year instead of T&M for some things (like adding sites, modifications to make sure the core sites can always be searched, etc. The T&M is fine for enhancements or changes that are outside the scope of the original requirements, but if the next Microsoft update to Windows breaks the program, you shouldn't have to pay him T&M to fix it. A typical annual support fee is ~20-25% of the purchase price.

Finally, when you use an independent developer to create SW, always remember that the life of the SW is only as long as that developer doesn't get hit by a bus. It's not uncommon for a developer to be all hot to trot initially, but 6 months later, when you need them for something, they are too busy, or they now have a full-time job, or they are only interested in their latest project, or whatever. Depending on how much you are paying - you might consider getting the source code from him. That way you will have something if he disappears. There are "SW Escrows" where the source code and documentation can be placed, so that if he is unable or unwilling to provide support, the source code automatically goes to you. If you are paying a couple of grand, it's probably not worth it - but if you are paying big money, then I would consider it.

All excellent points. smily_headphones1.gif I forwarded this to the minion, since she's handling this (hopefully).


I'm happy but kind of annoyed too. Earlier I bought that Koenigsegg CCX and paid a boatload of money to get it upgraded to the latest CCXR spec (and then some). They told me it would be ready in 4-6 weeks and that's okay. However, I've found out it's not only ready, they've been showing it and even used it as a customer tester to sell upgrades. No, the customer didn't drive it, just their test driver, but it's irritating that they've been holding on to it and using it, instead of shipping it, and they didn't even ask me. I found out because they emailed me and asked if I would "accept the honor" of having my car shown at the Frankfurt auto show (2 months away), like I give a bucket of warm spit about that? confused.gif "Oh look, here's a pic of my car at the show, with some malnourished, fake-boobed Swedish skank sitting on the hood." Maybe I should have asked if they'd refund a large chunk of what I paid, for "the honor"? rolleyes.gif But I just told them that it was a gift (kind of is, for my anniversary) and I needed it well before then and for them to please send it ASAP. Seriously, the gall of some of these companies... Oh, and before that, they contacted me asking if I'd "like the opportunity to upgrade" to paddles?!? When I'd already told them twice that I want that car specifically because it has a stick, then they acted like I was crazy to not want that "upgrade". Finally I said, "Look, if I wanted paddles, to go along with everything else I've had done, wouldn't I have just bought an Agera?" They finally shut up. If I didn't know better, I would have thought I was being trolled. Morons.

The CF weave on it is amazing, though.



Edited by Magick Man - 7/21/13 at 1:02am
post #3777 of 9498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post


 I found out because they emailed me and asked if I would "accept the honor" of having my car shown at the Frankfurt auto show (2 months away),

If it wasn't an anniversary thing you could have shown it and head fiers going to frankfurt could go LOOK ITS MAGICKS CAR LETS STICK AN HEAD FI STICKER ON IT biggrin.gif tongue_smile.gif

post #3778 of 9498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post


What do you mean "coming soon"? We have a pair of them running around right now (supervised).
Reason? Because? biggrin.gif With the ability to finetune the latest forced induction systems, and I mean to within thousandths of an atmosphere, you can essentially turn them off without suffering from a parasitic effect, by allowing it to run just enough to counter its own mechanical impedance. So, dialing in 550-800 whp (our upper target), on the fly, is simple. It's exactly the way Eleanor is set up. It's like a rudimentary type of launch control. On takeoff, TC is engaged and it's set to a lower level of boost, this negates all wheel slip, then TC disengages and the system allows the SC to very quickly build to maximum. It's going balls to walls after the shift to 3rd. Of course, all of that can be turned off and the driver can select the map they want, but the aided launch is cool (when it works 100%, still a couple small bugs to work out rolleyes.gif ). We're still doing things with Heffner Perf and have 2 more customer upgrades to do in the next several weeks, an R8 V8 and a Gallardo, but he's sent us toys as well, like software that would cause most automakers to crap their pants.
All excellent points. smily_headphones1.gif I forwarded this to the minion, since she's handling this (hopefully).


I'm happy but kind of annoyed too. Earlier I bought that Koenigsegg CCX and paid a boatload of money to get it upgraded to the latest CCXR spec (and then some). They told me it would be ready in 4-6 weeks and that's okay. However, I've found out it's not only ready, they've been showing it and even used it as a customer tester to sell upgrades. No, the customer didn't drive it, just their test driver, but it's irritating that they've been holding on to it and using it, instead of shipping it, and they didn't even ask me. I found out because they emailed me and asked if I would "accept the honor" of having my car shown at the Frankfurt auto show (2 months away), like I give a bucket of warm spit about that? confused.gif "Oh look, here's a pic of my car at the show, with some malnourished, fake-boobed Swedish skank sitting on the hood." Maybe I should have asked if they'd refund a large chunk of what I paid, for "the honor"? rolleyes.gif But I just told them that it was a gift (kind of is, for my anniversary) and I needed it well before then and for them to please send it ASAP. Seriously, the gall of some of these companies... Oh, and before that, they contacted me asking if I'd "like the opportunity to upgrade" to paddles?!? When I'd already told them twice that I want that car specifically because it has a stick, then they acted like I was crazy to not want that "upgrade". Finally I said, "Look, if I wanted paddles, to go along with everything else I've had done, wouldn't I have just bought an Agera?" They finally shut up. If I didn't know better, I would have thought I was being trolled. Morons.

The CF weave on it is amazing, though.



The question of ownership comes immediately to mind. In your shoes I would be very tempted to send them off an invoice for rental fees for use of YOUR vehicle for demo and advertising purposes. Sure send it to Frankfurt by all means, for 5 grand a day rental fees.(above mentioned skank probably turning out to be a "day rental" bussed in from the Reeperbahn vs the overpriced Swedish equivalent).

 

On the software end of things, consider a more global feature to the search function where input of make and model are fed to a basic google search with the results being filtered by words like auction, power of sale, accident,  trade, estate, etc. Information that is pertinent to you may be found outside of the "usual suspect" sites.

Ask your guy is he is familiar with Bayesian Logic.

post #3779 of 9498
What's sad is that I will bet the majority of their customers that will be parking the car in a garage and never driving it *would* be honored to have it be used at a car show - with or without Kelly Bundy.

post #3780 of 9498
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

What's sad is that I will bet the majority of their customers that will be parking the car in a garage and never driving it *would* be honored to have it be used at a car show - with or without Kelly Bundy.

Aha. So that's where the Coyote (Alias Manta Kitcar) from Hardcastle and McCormick wound up.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!