Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! - Page 211

post #3151 of 7161
Gotta agree, the SS and the Clubbie are great V8 RWD sedans and pretty affordable too considering what you get.
post #3152 of 7161
Thread Starter 
Blog entry:

My garage is now finished, more or less, just some interior touches left. It's really... big, at 6800 sq/ft., by our reckoning that should be plenty for what I want, especially with lifts. I wasn't able to lure over the Porsche mechanic to our shop, it seems he wants to continue studying and go to Stuttgart to further his education. However, that doesn't mean I can't lure him over from time to time to work on some projects for us, which is fine by me. So that brings us to 4 full-time mechanics, 2 full-time assistants, and 2 part-timers. They seem to be fleshing out to be a good team and I especially like our new Belgian Euro specialist, he has experience with most exotics, has a tuning background, and is enthusiastic to work with anything. Also he's a riot to hang with, which is a major plus.

The auction cars arrived, though I wasn't there due to personal stuff, they say they arrived on two trucks. I'm not expecting many issues with them, but you never can tell. I've already ran into some issues with these types of purchases before, though none have been major. *knock wood* The Miura is in pieces while they're painting panels and working on a complete rebuild of the drivetrain. That's a real ***** as I understand it, as parts for those don't exactly grow on trees, but I've been told what few replacements we can't get we'll be able to fabricate ourselves. It's amazing how fast they can do things, really shocking when you hear other people talk about 2-3 year restorations. I have to wonder what in the frak they're doing that could take so long. blink.gif I'll go into detail about the F1 later, but for now I'll say that it's a breathtaking car. Great but also terrifying, I've never driven anything that responds and accelerates the way it does. I have to wonder why McLaren doesn't just build these again (with a few minor updates for newer tech) and charge $5M a pop. They'd sell them, there's no question in my mind. Right now we need fewer nanny systems and more pure engineering, otherwise the supercar as we know it is doomed. They should be designed with passion and brass testes, not a committee bowing before bean counters.
post #3153 of 7161
Quote:
Right now we need fewer nanny systems and more pure engineering, otherwise the supercar as we know it is doomed. They should be designed with passion and brass testes, not a committee bowing before bean counters.



The supercar industry needs to find a true cowboy that can turn a major badge on it's ear. Plenty of guys have tried, but they usually fail because they go out and start their own little companies and then they can then be ignored by the mainstream auto industry. But if a major brand was to let one of those guys run the show, there might be a return to engineering a driver's car, not a marketing car. Is Pagani closer to this ideal than Lambo, Ferrari or Bugatti?
post #3154 of 7161
Took the words out of my mouth, Pagani and Koenigsegg are good candidates.
post #3155 of 7161
Thread Starter 
Pagani and Koenigsegg are the "big" European mavericks, the Huayra and Agera R are serious monsters. Noble and Gumpert fit the mold too, but are struggling to survive (if they aren't already dying). I may have a bead on a Noble M600 here in the US, we'll see. What's it doing here? I believe it was imported as a track day car. In domestics we have SSC and Mosler, neither making cars in any volume right now. The former is tooling up for the Tuatara and the latter will build you an MT900, if you pay the full price up front and are willing to wait a year or two. Oh, and there's the Falcon F7, it's available for shipping immediately, or so I hear.


Edited by Magick Man - 5/21/13 at 11:56pm
post #3156 of 7161

The Falcon looks confused. A cross between an Enzo, R8 and the GTR with Alfa 159 lights.

post #3157 of 7161
You gave a good synopsis of what I see as the problem, not the potential solution. I want one of those mavericks to take over the high-end development team at Porsche, Lambo, Ferrari, BMW, etc - then be allowed to use all the resources of those brands to build the best driver's car in the world - and allow them to ignore the Marketing and Legal departments when they do it! Basically, I want a Carrol Shelby at Ford in 1964 type of situation for one of those European brands. Someone that will say: "Oh, you have a 600 HP V12 engine? Great - let's put dual superchargers on it - I want to go fast." Or, maybe they might say: "Rolls Royce Aerospace has a turboshaft engine that was developed for the Comanche attack helicopter. It weighs 340 lbs and can generate 1700 SHP. Get me a few of those by next Wednesday - I have an idea..."

wink.gif
Edited by billybob_jcv - 5/22/13 at 7:32am
post #3158 of 7161
Just because it's fun, I'll expand on my turboshaft concept: Siphon a bit of HP off to drive a fan that will suck air from under the car and exhaust behind the car - generating huge amounts of downforce ala the 1978 Brabham BT46B that Nikki Lauda drove to a win in it's first and only race, the 1978 Swedish Grand Prix. I would (of course) call my design for this car the "Suckme"... cool.gif
post #3159 of 7161
Thread Starter 
I like it, it looks very pissed off. very_evil_smiley.gif

I called this morning, nice folks, and the F7 is $229k, 245 fully optioned (amazingly affordable for a RMR supercar). I'm thinking it over and I believe I'm going to order one. If I get my order in now I can get in on the next batch and take delivery in a matter of weeks. I simply need to put down half now and pay the rest when it arrives. One thing I really like is that it's entirely open, meaning it can be tuned right out of the box, and it uses a NA Ford 427 (stroked 351W) w/ FAST XFI 2.0 system, which is a setup we're very familiar with. Also it's an all CF body design, pushrod suspension (end user adj dampers), locking diff, with CF tub and alu supports. That includes CF manifolds, valve covers, and exhaust (which is also adjustable for volume). They purposely leave room for a Procharger as well, which is mighty nice of them (but voids your warranty if you install one, of course), and enough headroom for an additional 250-300hp (it's 620 stock). That's pretty outrageous when you're talking about a car that's 2700lbs. Nanny controls? None from the factory, however, we can install the XFI TC system here at the shop, which is actually a good idea for tooling around town or in bad weather.

This is pretty hardcore, much more vicious than I'd imagined. They even take my measurements for the seats and control distances (necessary because it's all fixed for added weight savings).

They also build the F5, which is a "calmed down" version which is cosmetically the same but made of steel with a 351cu/in V8 (same block as the F7, only it isn't bored and stroked) making 500bhp. That in itself is a good deal, starting at $130k, but I want the whole enchilada. I am a little confused, though. Given the type and grade of parts used, I'm not sure how they're making any money on these. confused.gif

post #3160 of 7161
Quote:billybob-jcv
drive a fan that will suck air from under the car and exhaust behind the car

 

Sounds like what Jim Hall did with the Chaparral Can-Am car.

http://ashcom.homestead.com/elford2j.html


Edited by wink - 5/22/13 at 8:41am
post #3161 of 7161
Yup - Jim Hall did it first with the Chapparal 2J - and those cars kicked @ss in Can-Am until they were outlawed - unfortunately they broke down all the time and I'm not sure they ever actually finished a race very well.
post #3162 of 7161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

I like it, it looks very pissed off. very_evil_smiley.gif

I called this morning, nice folks, and the F7 is $229k, 245 fully optioned (amazingly affordable for a RMR supercar). I'm thinking it over and I believe I'm going to order one. If I get my order in now I can get in on the next batch and take delivery in a matter of weeks. I simply need to put down half now and pay the rest when it arrives. One thing I really like is that it's entirely open, meaning it can be tuned right out of the box, and it uses a NA Ford 427 (stroked 351W) w/ FAST XFI 2.0 system, which is a setup we're very familiar with. Also it's an all CF body design, pushrod suspension (end user adj dampers), locking diff, with CF tub and alu supports. That includes CF manifolds, valve covers, and exhaust (which is also adjustable for volume). They purposely leave room for a Procharger as well, which is mighty nice of them (but voids your warranty if you install one, of course), and enough headroom for an additional 250-300hp (it's 620 stock). That's pretty outrageous when you're talking about a car that's 2700lbs. Nanny controls? None from the factory, however, we can install the XFI TC system here at the shop, which is actually a good idea for tooling around town or in bad weather.

This is pretty hardcore, much more vicious than I'd imagined. They even take my measurements for the seats and control distances (necessary because it's all fixed for added weight savings).

They also build the F5, which is a "calmed down" version which is cosmetically the same but made of steel with a 351cu/in V8 (same block as the F7, only it isn't bored and stroked) making 500bhp. That in itself is a good deal, starting at $130k, but I want the whole enchilada. I am a little confused, though. Given the type and grade of parts used, I'm not sure how they're making any money on these. confused.gif

 

Looks like a great deal....and the engine sounds glorious in that video in the other post. Matches well with you growing up a Ford guy, too. wink.gif

post #3163 of 7161

Have you ever thought about building (or, alternatively, have you built) a GT40 replica of any caliber? A friend of mine who runs a few large electrical contracting firms has one that's done up in full period style (Gurney/Weslake valve covers and the like), and it's beautiful. It still takes second seat to his genuine 289 FIA Cobra and his 288 GTO (which, while pretty ugly as far as Ferraris go, is a mechanical monster for its day) in terms of my favorites of the collection, but when you hear the thing run it's like being in heaven.

post #3164 of 7161
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achmedisdead View Post

Looks like a great deal....and the engine sounds glorious in that video in the other post. Matches well with you growing up a Ford guy, too. wink.gif

Sure is, my head mechanic really wants to get his hands on it, he knows that engine so well he can strip and rebuild one blindfolded (not much of an exaggeration there). There are few in the world who know it as well as he does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrock64 View Post

Have you ever thought about building (or, alternatively, have you built) a GT40 replica of any caliber? A friend of mine who runs a few large electrical contracting firms has one that's done up in full period style (Gurney/Weslake valve covers and the like), and it's beautiful. It still takes second seat to his genuine 289 FIA Cobra and his 288 GTO (which, while pretty ugly as far as Ferraris go, is a mechanical monster for its day) in terms of my favorites of the collection, but when you hear the thing run it's like being in heaven.

One major issue with the GT40 is my height, like Clarkson, I just don't fit in one. Even with the door and roofs modded it's too tight of a fit to be enjoyable (TWSS). I do have the GT, aka. "The Bee", and it's very capable, if a real PITA to drive in town. Sure, the clutch feels like you're leg pressing an aircraft carrier, but that's not atypical for MT cars of that type.
post #3165 of 7161

Some old school Trans Am love for Warren....my wallpaper for a few days.smile_phones.gif

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!