or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! - Page 176

post #2626 of 9498

Just when you thought you'd seen it all....an F50 tug-of-war. blink.gif

 

post #2627 of 9498
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

Hmm, that motor doesn't look exactly like this one - at least the valve covers & air cleaner sure look different. I suppose the motor on the yellow one I found is the one that might have some aftermarket parts on it. Look at the difference in how the coil is mounted.
http://www.powerblocktv.com/ymm/YMFDTOR70B/1970-ford-torino-king-cobra



This link has got to be the one at Mecum, right?
http://www.429-460.com/t15175-1970-king-cobra-torino-prototype-hemi-pretty-sweet-saw-this-localat-a-show-pics-inside

Oh, and check this out!



And this is a GREAT page - lots of history, photos and speculation on the prototypes - and apparently there is still some controversy over exactly how many prototypes were built and which ones survived. At the very bottom is a summary table showing that there is thought to have been 2 yellow, 1 white (that might now be orange), one blue & gold test race car and 1 other orange that they think was crushed. They also talk about a couple that are thought to be replicas.

http://www.dearbornflashback.com/xfiles_kingcobra.asp


Thanks. Yes, it appears that it is indeed the Weeman KC. The only one with a Boss 429 and original convex glass still intact. *whistle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achmedisdead View Post

Just when you thought you'd seen it all....an F50 tug-of-war.


It seems the boy who makes those videos is quite wealthy, and mentally retarded. That's so sad. frown.gif
post #2628 of 9498
You know - if you buy that car, then you MUST also get a Plymouth Superbird and a Dodge Daytona to put next to it. It just wouldn't be right otherwise... wink.gif





When I was in high school (late 70s) a guy in my hometown had a blue Superbird. You couldn't miss him - it was the goofiest looking car in town...
Edited by billybob_jcv - 4/12/13 at 2:25pm
post #2629 of 9498

Imagine a Superbird wing on the back of one of obob's beloved Lincolns! atsmile.gif

post #2630 of 9498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achmedisdead View Post

Just when you thought you'd seen it all....an F50 tug-of-war. blink.gif

 

 

 

i was waiting for the rope to snap and both of them to crash into the walls biggrin.gif

post #2631 of 9498
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

You know - if you buy that car, then you MUST also get a Plymouth Superbird and a Dodge Daytona to put next to it. It just wouldn't be right otherwise... wink.gif





When I was in high school (late 70s) a guy in my hometown had a blue Superbird. You couldn't miss him - it was the goofiest looking car in town...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achmedisdead View Post

Imagine a Superbird wing on the back of one of obob's beloved Lincolns! atsmile.gif

Oh, I know, Richard already told me the same, "You'll have to get a Mopar Superchicken if you buy that King Cobra, just to show how God-awful ugly they are beside it." (he hates Chryslers)

The problem is, I'm sure that's going to go up to 500K+ and I just don't have that kind of liquid funds available, at least not without stripping the rest of my budget completely bare. If things change between now and May (I won't go into details) I might make a serious effort to get it. I'd go there for something like that and personally haul it back. That's such a very rare and historically important vehicle, it's likely I'd loan it to the Nascar Hall of Fame in Charlotte. Just so all the Ford fans can enjoy it. smily_headphones1.gif
post #2632 of 9498
Thread Starter 
Down by the college, the Aventador stalks its prey. very_evil_smiley.gif


AppleMark


Actually we went to dinner and then dropped by her office at the school, but it does look a little scary driving along at night w/ only the running lights. It'll flatout stop traffic w/ folks rubbernecking to check it out.

I didn't get a chance to unbox the Vivaldi DAC, but I'll get to it tomorrow.
Edited by Magick Man - 4/12/13 at 11:52pm
post #2633 of 9498
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

Bad form on Mecum for not having that clearly in the description - although I noticed there really isn't a description for that listing.

News at my house: My daughter passed her driving test. So, I'm back on the hunt for a 16 year-old girl's first car. It is darn hard to find a good car under $10K that doesn't have 100K miles on it. When my cars get 100K miles, they are usually pretty much shot - something is leaking from somewhere, the interior is a nightmare and there are plenty of creaks, rattles and groans. How the heck do people put 130K miles on their car and have them look very, very clean inside & out in the pictures? Detailing is one thing, but the interiors on some of these look new!

Your allowed to have a full license when your 16 in the US?

What about an Lexus IS200? Its small, its good looking and its a Toyota so nothing can go wrong.........


Edited by veyrongatti - 4/12/13 at 11:58pm
post #2634 of 9498
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

Bad form on Mecum for not having that clearly in the description - although I noticed there really isn't a description for that listing.

News at my house: My daughter passed her driving test. So, I'm back on the hunt for a 16 year-old girl's first car. It is darn hard to find a good car under $10K that doesn't have 100K miles on it. When my cars get 100K miles, they are usually pretty much shot - something is leaking from somewhere, the interior is a nightmare and there are plenty of creaks, rattles and groans. How the heck do people put 130K miles on their car and have them look very, very clean inside & out in the pictures? Detailing is one thing, but the interiors on some of these look new!

After some looking, what about a used Focus? This one looks right up your alley for price, features, miles, and it's nearby.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&listingId=113798523
post #2635 of 9498

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=114304343&listingRecNum=0&criteria=sf1Dir%3DDESC%26mkId%3D20070%26stkTyp%3DU%26rd%3D100000%26crSrtFlds%3DstkTypId-feedSegId-mdId-prcId-mkId%26zc%3D78405%26prcId%3D28849%26rn%3D0%26PMmt%3D1-0-0%26stkTypId%3D28881%26sf2Dir%3DASC%26sf1Nm%3Dprice%26sf2Nm%3Dmiles%26isDealerGrouping%3Dfalse%26rpp%3D50%26feedSegId%3D28705&aff=national&listType=3

Whoa blink.gif

Actually I think your daughter would love this though........http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=107700713&listingRecNum=246&criteria=sf1Dir%3DASC%26mkId%3D20049%26stkTyp%3DU%26rd%3D100000%26crSrtFlds%3DstkTypId-feedSegId-mdId-prcId-mkId%26zc%3D78405%26prcId%3D28849%26rn%3D200%26PMmt%3D1-0-0%26stkTypId%3D28881%26sf2Dir%3DASC%26sf1Nm%3Dprice%26sf2Nm%3Dmiles%26isDealerGrouping%3Dfalse%26rpp%3D50%26feedSegId%3D28705&aff=national&listType=1


Edited by veyrongatti - 4/13/13 at 1:51am
post #2636 of 9498
post #2637 of 9498
That Focus looks great! May have to call that guy and maybe take a drive!
post #2638 of 9498
My son & I just got back from the Mullin Museum. Awesome place! It isn't very big, and there really aren't that many cars - but the cars they have are simply unbelievable! Their shtick is European art deco designs from the 30s - Bugatti, Talbot, Delahaye and in a special limited-time display, Avions Voisin. Many of their cars have been multi-time Concours winners at Pebble Beach.

These are truly beautiful cars that also happen to be engineering masterpieces. When you read the descriptions of the cars, it's hard to believe this level of technology was imployed in the 1930s: superchargers, hydraulic brakes, hemi heads, DOHC, independent front suspension, etc, etc - some of these cars were decades ahead of the mainstream auto mfrs.

My son's favorite car - a 1948 Talbot Lago T26 Grand Sport Coupe. 1 of 36 built. Has an inline 6 Aluminum engine producing 194 bhp.




My favorite car - 1939 Delahye Type 165 Cabriolet. 1 of 6 produced with a V12 engine. It was originally built for display at the 1939 New York World's Fair. It was impounded by US Customs because of some hassle associated with WW II. It was later sold at auction and after changing hands a few times, ended up being owned by a tow truck driver in Fresno, CA!




One of the centerpieces of the museum - 1938 Talbot Lago Tisocs "Goutte D'Eau"




They actually have more Bugatti vehicles than I have ever seen in one location - and then you read the display tags and they say "1 of 10 produced", "1 of 4 produced", etc, etc. Upstairs they have about a dozen Grand Prix race cars from the 20s and 30s. Can you imagine going 150 MPH a couple of feet from another car, with you head & arms 12-18 inches from a spinning rear tire, and no seat belts? eek.gif

If you are ever in Ventura County, CA, and you have 2 hours to kill, I *highly* recommend the Mullin Automotive Museum!
post #2639 of 9498
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post


My favorite car - 1939 Delahye Type 165 Cabriolet. 1 of 6 produced with a V12 engine. It was originally built for display at the 1939 New York World's Fair. It was impounded by US Customs because of some hassle associated with WW II. It was later sold at auction and after changing hands a few times, ended up being owned by a tow truck driver in Fresno, CA!




One of the centerpieces of the museum - 1938 Talbot Lago Tisocs "Goutte D'Eau"




They actually have more Bugatti vehicles than I have ever seen in one location - and then you read the display tags and they say "1 of 10 produced", "1 of 4 produced", etc, etc. Upstairs they have about a dozen Grand Prix race cars from the 20s and 30s. Can you imagine going 150 MPH a couple of feet from another car, with you head & arms 12-18 inches from a spinning rear tire, and no seat belts? eek.gif

If you are ever in Ventura County, CA, and you have 2 hours to kill, I *highly* recommend the Mullin Automotive Museum!

I sure will, that looks amazing. cool.gif I'd say you'd like our muscle car museum too. It isn't as upscale, but there are some really rare beasts there, like the original Bullitt GT (1 of 3). I love that Talbot (and the Delahye). That's going on our things to do list when we go to LA, along with the Peterson museum.

Today was our track day, so we packed everyone up and went for our lessons, which was awesome. The instructor liked the Porsche RS, we took it, the converted MINI Cooper, and the Aventador (it wasn't for the driving lesson). I was very proud of my wife, she did a great job and it looks like she's going to pick up on track driving quickly. She has great reflexes, it's just she tends to panic when other people get too close, her gear shifts and wheel control have improved dramatically. Heel-toe braking is going to be rough, it was for me when I taught myself, but few drivers at this level can do it anyway. So after the lesson we hung out, the track had its Spring gathering, and they grilled food, plus there was an auction for the ADA and a 20 lap race for Post-War classics. We won a few lots and picked up some cool swag, like Bugatti jackets and sunglasses. Emma was a hoot, she definitely knows how to network. She'd just randomly walk up to people and hand them her toys, and she was all decked out in her Ferrari finest. They have a small playground and she got to mingle with other little kids (with Rosa there) so she had a ball.

Speaking of Bugatti, I finally got to drive a Veyron. Not a Super Sport, but one of the Grand Sports (1001bhp), and I gotta say, it's a nice luxury car and very fast, but it's no sports car. No matter what kind of suspension trickery they tried, it just doesn't handle that well (4400lbs). I think it would make a great, albeit very expensive, GT car, but it doesn't drive as well as the (comparatively) much less expensive Aventador (3600lbs). Though, the Lambo's suspension has been tuned to within an inch of its life. Oh, got to see a 430 Scuderia blow up, there was a loud pop and black smoke poured out (broken rod). The owner just shook his head and laughed. rolleyes.gif The folks from the Charlotte Ferrari dealership were there. Ferrari claims all their LaFerraris have been sold, well don't believe that. All of them have been allotted, but not all of them are spoken for... because, well, I put down a deposit for one today. The salesman was very convincing and I was weak, we were both weak, my wife was hyped up over it too. Mamma mia.
Edited by Magick Man - 4/13/13 at 10:53pm
post #2640 of 9498
Look what someone did to this poor, defenseless Diablo...
http://www.exoticsportscarz.com/2001_Lamborghini_Diablo_Pompano%20Beach_FL_122177770.veh

Good grief, it looks like someone went to Lowes and bought ABS sewer pipe to craft that "ram air" system.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!